02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith In Others
09. Solitude [Black Sabbath cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
10. Var Kommer Barnen In [Hansson De Wolfe United cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
11. Atonement [live] [Japanese bonus]
12. Demon Of The Fall [live] [Japanese bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire, Wales, Junkmail Studios, Stockholm, Sweden, No Mans Land Studios, Hemel Hempstead, UK and Angel Studios, London, UK.
Produced by Mikael Akerfeldt.
Co-production by Opeth and Tom Dalgety.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.
Engineered by Tom Dalgety.
Mastered by Pascal Byrne.

"Solitude" - Recorded live at Stockholm Sodra Teatern in April 2012.
"Var Kommer Barnen In" - Recorded live at Stockholm Sodra Teatern in April 2012.

All Lyrics Written by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Artwork designed by Travis Smith.
Artwork concept by Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
N/A
Opeth have softened their sound. This is old news, and this is also an old sound. Pale Communion is their sophomore in a retrograde and vintage style of progressive rock, yet it remains poised with their distinctive craftsmanship. The question arises as to whether this record builds upon the band's efforts in Heritage. It does.

Read more ››
published 20.08.2014 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
My favorite band is Opeth; I was on the bandwagon around the days of My Arms, Your Hearse and have never jumped off. When it comes to an album like Pale Communion there is an important question I've had to ask myself: do I like Opeth because they're a metal band or do I like Opeth because of the way they play their music? Is it the heavy death metal growls that make them so great or the overall vibe they create with their experimentation? In the end, I find it is the latter that is true for me in both cases.

Read more ››
published 31.05.2016 | Comments (6)

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 204   Visited by: 1990 users
29.08.2014 - 22:51
Rating: 8
Opethian
Just finished listening to it and it is as I feared. Unforgettable and Mediocre. This was actually even more of an earache than 'Heritage'. If i could say something to Mikael, "I hope that this shift in sound and retro style has made you a happy person, because you have lost a lot of fans over it"
30.08.2014 - 00:22
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Opethian on 29.08.2014 at 22:51

Just finished listening to it and it is as I feared. Unforgettable and Mediocre. This was actually even more of an earache than 'Heritage'. If i could say something to Mikael, "I hope that this shift in sound and retro style has made you a happy person, because you have lost a lot of fans over it"

Just curious if this is your opinion after just one spin through or have you listened to it multiple times? I thought it was very average after one listen but with many more listens, it really grew on my and I really like it now. I know everyone isn't the same in that regard, and I've had discussions on this site with others in the past who say they can always rate an album after just one listen, but for others (like myself) multiple listens is required.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
30.08.2014 - 01:00
Opethian
Written by Ace Frawley on 30.08.2014 at 00:22

Just curious if this is your opinion after just one spin through or have you listened to it multiple times? I thought it was very average after one listen but with many more listens, it really grew on my and I really like it now. I know everyone isn't the same in that regard, and I've had discussions on this site with others in the past who say they can always rate an album after just one listen, but for others (like myself) multiple listens is required.

I probably will but to be honest this album doesn't convey any action to the listener other then doubt and anger lol. I'm going to shelve this one for now. In other words, "I'm not missing out on anything"
30.08.2014 - 13:16
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Opethian on 30.08.2014 at 01:00

I probably will but to be honest this album doesn't convey any action to the listener other then doubt and anger lol. I'm going to shelve this one for now. In other words, "I'm not missing out on anything"

Oh well, each to their own. Right now, I'm captivated by this album. More interesting than most metal albums I've listened to this year and you can hear all the instruments. And it has a singer that can sing clean vocals.
----
30.08.2014 - 17:53
Rating: 7
Warman
Erotic Stains
It's good stuff, but nothing which makes me wanna see them live this autumn. I fucking love Opeth but I remember last time I saw them. They opened with six Heritage songs in a row, after that they played something from Damnation. After that The Grand Conjuration came on, so it took seven songs before some headbanging was a must.
----
31.08.2014 - 10:43
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Yes, I just watched a YouTube interview and Akerfeldt acknowledged that they would now be playing a variety of songs, including their older "classics", or heavier songs. He knows that there are fans that come away disappointed from a show if they don't hear them play some of these older songs (myself included). I've also noticed from looking at setlist.fm that they haven't started playing any of the songs from Pale Communion yet. I wonder when that is going to happen?
----
31.08.2014 - 17:00
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.08.2014 at 10:59
They haven't started playing any PC because all the gigs they've done have been before the PC release

That's not necessarily the reason, as plenty of bands play material from upcoming albums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.08.2014 - 20:03
Rating: 10
Illwill
The more I listen, the more I like it. Might not be a 10 but when I see ratings of 1 makes me wonder if Justin Bieber fans have just joined Metalstorm. Haters gonna hate, Mikael hears you, Mikael doesn't care
03.09.2014 - 05:21
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
This is a modern day PROG rock MASTERPIECE.
----
04.09.2014 - 06:58
Sang Dalang Abu
Congratulations..I gave it 9! (too many reasons for repeat listening to this album in first time).
first time hear it I think it would be bad, too many variations of each song.. but wow really nice.
05.09.2014 - 08:44
Mrophine
I dont love this album as much as i've loved Watershed and Ghost Reveries. But its still a good album. I really love the first three songs. Some songs are pretty boring but some really innovative. So all and all pretty descent album.
07.09.2014 - 12:13
robpal
Proglord
This is amazing. Stop whining and learn to appreciate real prog music.
07.09.2014 - 13:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by robpal on 07.09.2014 at 12:13

Stop whining and learn to appreciate real prog music.

Ok.

*goes and listens to Chimp Spanner and Last Chance To Reason*
07.09.2014 - 14:12
Rating: 10
metalody
This album is a masterpiece. Wonderful melodies, great songs. The 7.5 average rating is very unfair and not representative for its quality. Ok, it is not metal, so what? The inspiration flows non-stop in the veins of that guy. Well done, Mikael.
07.09.2014 - 19:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
It is a grower indeed. "Moon Above, Sun Below" is my favourite song so far. Still need more listens to process the whole thing but so far, I think it's a good, solid album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.09.2014 - 22:46
moonflash
Yeah, definitely liking it more and more each passing day. It has this strange addictive quality and I keep coming back to it. Not a bad album by any means.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
09.09.2014 - 06:28
Rating: 9
Atna
This is a real grower. It took be like 4-5 spins before I really started getting into it.

I really adore the first 3 songs. The last half, has its moments and its wonderfully expressive side to look forward to after the first 3 tracks.
Overall I'm impressed with how it all comes together. The drums especially, Axe has great 'thwacky' feel and really makes the rhythm ebb and flow throughout the tracks.

my favorite parts are scattered throughout the various progressions that take the stage at different times, like the "Moon above, sun below" crooning on the track of the same name, and the Dueling guitar solo section that lands about 2/3 through "River". The last 2 tracks vocal atmosphere and lyrics, cut in with the bass and cascading keyboards.

a facsinating release, with a good deal of opeth's signature sound and creativity. I couldnt stop listening to it for several days, it just has a certain addictive quality to it.
10.09.2014 - 14:39
Rating: 5
angel.
Evil Butterfly
As an Opeth fan for a long time I had really hard time to make my mind about my vote, it's not as bad as their previous shit but it's not really that good either, it's totally new Opeth which I can't relate to.
----
The Fangirl.
14.09.2014 - 09:51
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I've grown to actually really love this album after a lot of listens. One of this year's best for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.09.2014 - 19:10
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This album has really taken me by surprise! This is the first Opeth that I liked in a long time.
16.09.2014 - 00:22
FB_10
Account deleted
Dissapointed ! Only "Eternal Rains Will Come" is good to listen :(
19.09.2014 - 17:22
Rating: 5
rlro
It is really bad when a band that I deeply like changes completely its style of music (my first great deception was with Paradise Lost, but let's not change subject). Opeth last two albums, besides being very different from the previous ones, are simply bad and boring. I like progressive rock, but it definitely something Opeth can't do well. I was hoping Heritage was just an unique album like Damnation was, but it seems my hopes were in vain.
20.09.2014 - 05:05
Desert Father
I finally listened to it and was pleasantly surprised. Glad that they have moved beyond piecing random whole-tone scale riffs together. I still feel that all the vocal lines sound like Mikael just improvised them, nothing memorable about them at all. River and Eternal Rains are my favourites so far.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
30.09.2014 - 02:21
Darrek
This is a good album, enjoyable, easy going. But after thinking about it, won´t buy it for now. This one was definitely a relief after their previous production. Maybe I could give them an 8, but a 7.5 will do. Anything from Opeth is worth listening to and everything above 7 is valuable. Goblin, good track.
02.10.2014 - 22:04
akvan
Does anyone care something more than just MUSIC ? ! for examples lyrics ! if u know what i mean !
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
10.10.2014 - 17:43
Lethrokai
Overall, it's a pretty good album.
But the one thing that really bugs me with this one is that there doesn't seem to be a single standout track. Everything's just "good" and never tries to be anything special. Even Heritage didn't suffer with that problem.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
14.10.2014 - 01:09
Zap
Written by Illwill on 31.08.2014 at 20:03

Might not be a 10 but when I see ratings of 1 makes me wonder if Justin Bieber fans have just joined Metalstorm.

You have a weird train of thought if that's what you conclude from the amount of 1s given to this album.
21.10.2014 - 15:47
Lethrokai
This album's a weird one for me right now. Every listen shifts my view of it slightly, be it a good change or bad.

I really don't know where to place it. It's easily more coherent in its vision than Heritage was, but Heritage also had songs like Famine that REALLY impressed me, whereas this album just doesn't have any songs with a similar impact.
I can also really see, and appreciate, some of the risks they took on this recording, but not all of them really paid off.

It frustrates me when an album is this much of a mixed bag to really analyse. It has a number of good and bad traits, but never anything that particularly sets it off in either direction. So I feel like I'm stuck trying to analyse something that simultaneously has too much and too little to look into.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
27.10.2014 - 07:54
yeah1980
I like this one more than the previous Heritage (that was the only disappointment in Opeth discography).
This time I enjoyed a lot more Mikael singing, and the "ambience" part are cut out.
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)
02.12.2014 - 08:56
Mrophine
Im beginning to love this album

Hits total: 52434 | This month: 91