Metal Storm logo
Chess

17.04.2014 - 01:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So any of you guys happen to play this huh... Sport?
Be it for hobby, for boredom, for real, for whatsoever?

Post anything you feel it's related here.

As for me, I play sporadically. In some times of my life I play seldom, in some I become kinda addicted to it.
Once I played it pretty good, now I'm back to sucking. It's one of those things that you sort of forget if you don't practice.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.04.2014 - 11:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I play on my laptop and now plannin' to challenge Kasparov.
17.04.2014 - 13:05
Silent Jay
I used to play it a lot when I was younger and I wasn't too bad for a youngster. Recently had a couple of games against computer IA and I sucked bad though, even set to 'easy'. Chess is something I wouldn't mind playing more often actually. Need to get over that feeling of thinking all is lost and wanting to give up after only a stupid mistake or two haha.
17.04.2014 - 15:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Silent Jay on 17.04.2014 at 13:05

Need to get over that feeling of thinking all is lost and wanting to give up after only a stupid mistake or two haha.

Haha I also do this quite a lot. My games against the computer usually go only until the first mistake.
Perhaps that's why I'm so bad in game finale, like when there are only pawns, rooks and kings. Because I almost never practice that. =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
17.04.2014 - 17:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If anyone find multiplayer chess game online, pass me the link and I'll challenge and beat to your death.

Challenge open to: Anyone

18.04.2014 - 03:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.04.2014 at 17:58

If anyone find multiplayer chess game online, pass me the link and I'll challenge and beat to your death.

Challenge open to: Anyone

Let's play it here then:
1.d4
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.04.2014 - 11:11
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Bring the board. Hard to remember number moves.

Doesn't want to go pro here.
18.04.2014 - 17:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Okay then: o_O

♜ | ♞ | ♝ | ♛ | ♚ | ♝ | ♞ | ♜
♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟
__ | __ | __ | _ | __ | __ | __ | __
__ | __ | __ |♙ | __ | __ | __ | __
♙ | ♙ | ♙ | __ | ♙ | ♙ | ♙ | ♙
♖ | ♘ | ♗ | ♕ | ♔ | ♗ | ♘ | ♖

But jokes aside, you can always follow the moves on somewhere else and then just type the move you'd make on the next turn. xD
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.04.2014 - 20:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Karlabos on 18.04.2014 at 17:10

you can always follow the moves on somewhere else and then just type the move you'd make on the next turn. xD

It's time taking to type the moves.

Bring your strategy at chess table. Let's get it on online chess where winners get your house and food while knocked out guy(loser willbe offensive) do the dishes.
19.04.2014 - 18:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I use to play at chessfriends.com
I use the same nick. If you happen to find me online...
I just warn that the furthest I've become is pre-intermediate, so don't expect much from me =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
19.04.2014 - 21:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Karlabos on 19.04.2014 at 18:36

I use to play at chessfriends.com
I use the same nick. If you happen to find me online...
I just warn that the furthest I've become is pre-intermediate, so don't expect much from me =P

Done.

I'll catch you soon.
21.04.2014 - 02:01
mz
Used to play a lot when I was kid and I was not bad at it. Have not played at all in past 10 years probably. I'm planning to start again with my roommate as at any rate, it's much better than playing with cards.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.04.2014 - 04:21
Reverend X
I used to play it with friends when I was kid. I even won a tournament once. But now I seldom play it and it's against computers and at mid level. And even at that level of difficulty I'm stacking up losses. I'm more of a defensive player and lacks endgame strategies.
23.04.2014 - 01:19
Migtanteot
I like chess, I participated on a few tournaments in highschool and never won anything haha. I just play when I'm really fucking bored and have tried everything to distract. When the computer is my oponent I always loose, That make me thing that when I won it's because the other one's mistakes haha.
25.12.2014 - 21:58
KRS Porlaneff
Written by Migtanteot on 23.04.2014 at 01:19

I like chess, I participated on a few tournaments in highschool and never won anything haha. I just play when I'm really fucking bored and have tried everything to distract. When the computer is my oponent I always loose, That make me thing that when I won it's because the other one's mistakes haha.

I'm not too bad as you says, but it's like the history of my life :D:D
----
Metal Is The Law
The Law Is The Metal
Metal The Law Is
Metal

(Massacration - Metal is the Law)
03.02.2017 - 23:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Female world champion loses a ranked match on purpose to protest against mysoginism:

Apparently after being paired against 7 female opponents straight she though the championship matching was not fairly distributed. The whole drama can be read on the later part of the video

I myself think she is somewhat right... I think the chess public is a bit mysoginistic.
To be fair I never understood the need to have a separate female category like they do to begin with. I know that it is common on other sports but it's because other sports are phisically based and it just happens that because of genetics the male body constitution has a bit of advvantage towards the female one on that sense. But in chess the only physical ability you need to have is to lift lightweight pieces and hit a clock, so...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.02.2017 - 00:23
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Karlabos on 18.04.2014 at 17:10

Okay then: o_O

♜ | ♞ | ♝ | ♛ | ♚ | ♝ | ♞ | ♜
♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟ | ♟
__ | __ | __ |♙ | __ | __ | __ | __
♙ | ♙ | ♙ | __ | ♙ | ♙ | ♙ | ♙
♖ | ♘ | ♗ | ♕ | ♔ | ♗ | ♘ | ♖

But jokes aside, you can always follow the moves on somewhere else and then just type the move you'd make on the next turn. xD

I knew somebody would've did this in the thread at sometime but still couldn't laughing when I saw it.
06.03.2017 - 04:40
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, I think I just came across probably one of my most interesting games of lately (link for the lazy)

Me (white) vs random stranger online (black)
We started with queen's gambit:
1. d4, d5 2. c4, e6 3. e3, Nf6 4. Nc3, Bb4 5.Bd3 Nc6 6. Ne2, Qd6
computer hates my next move but I play it anyway: 7. c5 (because it kinda gains some space and a tempo, I guess?)
then he trades: 7...Bxc3+ 8. Nxc3, Qe7 9.a3 (because I know he'll necessary play b6 just because of my early c5 on move 7) 9... b6 (as foretold) 10. b4, e5

I think here things start getting a bit tricky... I wasn't sure if I should take the pawn or not. Honestly both options could destroy my structure but in the end I was kinda more afraid of him playing e4 later in the game so I decided to take anyway:
11. dxe5, Qxe5
12. Bb2, d4
obviously I can't take with the pawn on e3 because my king and his queen are aligned. But I was kinda expecting that move, because now I save my knight with 13.Ne2 which attacks the pawn and has room for a discovered attack because his queen and my bishop are also aligned. The only problem is my king still on e1 though... But I'll work on it soon, I promise.
13. Ne2, bxc5
14. O-O and now he decideds to pin my knight with 14...Bg4
I put my knight there just to take the pawn on d4 so it wouldn't be fair to have it pinned. I originally didn't like my next move but the more I thought the more it made sense:
15. f3 (sacrificing the e3 pawn, but the thing is: can he really take it with his queen? I am still not sure what to think about it)
15. ...Qxe3+ (well, he took anyway)
16. Kh1
and now notice I am threatening Nxd4 which will threaten both Nxc6 on the next move taking his knight for free and Re1 winning the queen. He cannot deal with both that threats at once if he let me play Nxc6 now and his bishop on g4 is still hanging... So he decided he couldn't deal with everything at once and gave his bishop away:
16... Bxf3 17. Rxf3, Qe5
And now I can't attack the d4 pawn because the queen protects it and I cannot play Re1 as before because well... my rook isn't even on the 1st rank. He ended up with three pawns for a bishop, which is still ok, I guess.

Analysing later I found out he could have played 16... Bd7 saving both the bishop and the knight. He would still lose the pawn on d4 for free but at least it wouldn't be a bishop. On the other hand all his initiative would go away because he would retreat both the queen and the bishop, so not sure which was the best decision here...

18. Bc4 (apparently random but I was expecting his Kg4 threatening checkmate and annoying stuff, now his knight is pinned on f6. Alternatively I could have attacked his other knight on c6 but he would just protect it with the queen so not much would happen)
18 ... O-O (unpinning the knight)
19. bxc5, Qxc5
20. Rc1, and now his losing move: 20... Ne5, forking my bishop and my rook. My next move should be pretty obvious because it's one of the reasons I put my rook on c1, but I guess not always you see everything on a chess game, unfortunate for him... =p
21. Bxf7+, Nxf7
22. Rxc5, Ne4
technically the game is already lost for him but I think his idea was bringing the other knight to g5 after I move my rook away and then have some Nf2 fork ideas if I move my rook out of the f file.
23. Qxd4, Nxc5?? (again, when the game is lost you kinda stop to think or something)
24. Qxg7 checkmate

Yeah, the last few moves were pretty pathetic on his side, for instance he could have won my rook by taking the bishop on f7 with his rook instead on move 21, so after 22. Rxc5 he could take my rook instantanealy on f3, but he would have a rook for a queen, still losing... Anyway, what I liked is that in the whole game both kings were exposed and all the pieces were unprotected and attacking each other and each side was full of tricks. I like this kind of game far more than those drawing typical positions :3
----
- Reimu Hakurei
07.03.2021 - 05:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I felt proud of my mate here, but analyzing, it turns out it was a blunderfest =p

Me (white) vs opponent
1. e4, e5
2. Nf3, Nc6
3. Bc4, Nf6 (italian game)
4. O-O
the computer already doesn't like and says the opponent can play Nxe4? Which is kinda weird, I always opened like this because I thought playing Re1 would get me the pawn back?

4. ..., Bc5
5. Re1, d6
6. c3, be6
7. Bb3, O-O (dunno why the computer doesn't like retreating the bishop here. If black trades then I get the a file. Also trading myself would cause him to take with the f pawn opening his f file? I dunno...
8. d4, exd4
9. cxd4, Bb4

This got kinda interesting. I looked at forking his knight and bishop with d5, but I lose a rook. And after recapturing the black bishop in e1 I lose a pawn for a piece, so it's two pieces for a rook and a pawn. Well... I went for it anyway:

10. d5, Bxe1
11. Qxe1, Bxd5
12. exd5, Ne7
13. Bg5, (I did this threatening to mess his castle by trading the bishop for the knight, and if he moved the knight away with Kxd5, I'd simply take in d5 with the bishop, because the other knight was pinned. He moved the other knight tho..)
13. ..., Kg6
14. Nc3, h6
15. Bd2, Ne7
16. Qc1 (Here I was looking at the greek gift. I thought he would do something about it because I thought it was a pretty damn good greek gift, but it turns out the engine hates it later. Well, here comes the gift)
16. ..., c6
17. Bxh6, hxh6
18. Qxh6, Nexd5 (it turns out the engine suggest Nf5. In hindsight it makes sense... It'd make attacking a lot harder for me)

19. Qg5+, Kh8
20. Bc2, (another mistake the engine points out. Yep, turns out trading the knight was far better because it removes his annoying knight on the king side)
20. ..., Nxc3
21. Qh6+, Kg8
22. Ng5 (now I have 3 pieces pointing at h7 and he only has one knight defending)
22. ..., Nce4 (not really a sacrifice since he took a free piece a couple moves ago)
23. Nxe4 (it turns out I should have taken with the B, didn't ocurr to me for some reason), Nxe4
24. Bxe4, Re8

And now I found this cute mate. Gotta keep this one in mind, I take it it's something that could happen in these positions pretty often.

25. Bh7+, Kh8 (the queen covers the f8 square)
26. Bg6+, Kg8 (the queen delivers a discovered check so the bishop can't be captured)
27. Qh7+, Kf8
28. Qf7++
----
- Reimu Hakurei
12.07.2021 - 14:03
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I started learning and playing chess on lichess.org about 2 years ago. I've learned from watching Eric Rosen and Levy Rozmann (Gothamchess) on Youtube - and also simply by practicing and learning from my mistakes. My username is F3ynman69. Feel free to challenge me if you have a lichess account. Or is there another way that you want to play chess?
25.07.2021 - 01:51
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by F3ynman2000 on 12.07.2021 at 14:03

I started learning and playing chess on lichess.org about 2 years ago. I've learned from watching Eric Rosen and Levy Rozmann (Gothamchess) on Youtube - and also simply by practicing and learning from my mistakes. My username is F3ynman69. Feel free to challenge me if you have a lichess account. Or is there another way that you want to play chess?

Oh, just now I logged in lichess and saw the challenge. I never played correspondence chess tbh =p

Judging by your rating you are probably too strong for me tho
----
- Reimu Hakurei
25.07.2021 - 04:01
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Karlabos on 25.07.2021 at 01:51

Oh, just now I logged in lichess and saw the challenge. I never played correspondence chess tbh =p

Judging by your rating you are probably too strong for me tho

I haven't played correspondence in a while. But it's practical when players can't be at the same place at the same time .
Yeah I guess I'm above average, but it also depends on my mood, if I've played a lot recently or not, etc. Also, I've never played a competitive over-the-board game, and I've heard that online ratings are inflated, so I don't really know what my "actual" rating is.
Oh well, I just want to have some fun with chess
03.10.2021 - 22:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Lol!

very short game but I'm proud of it because of the cute smothered mate

Me (white) vs opponent
1. e4,e5
2. Nf3, Nc6
3. Bc4, Bc5
4. O-O, Nf6
5. Re1, O-O
6. c3
This is a move I always make, because it prepares d4 and while it prevents Nc3 I can develop the knight to d2 instead, to avoid those annoying bishop pins.
Meanwhile if I played the usual Nc3 instead of c3, then the c pawn gets stuck behind the knight for the whole game.

Unfortunately post analysis shows it's not a good move in this case, because black's knight can capture on e4 and it turns out my rook isn't really defending it! (for instance, 6,... Nxe4 7.Rxe4, d5!)

Anyway... On my level of game neither of us saw that
6 ..., a6
7. d4, exd4
8. cxd4, Bb4
9. Nc3, Re8
10. e5, Ng4

I was just trying to win a tempo on his knight while creatng a pawn chain in the middle, but as soon as he played Ng4 I knew something was wrong. If I remove my knight from f3 my queen is aligned to his knight, and since he never moved the d pawn, the usual white square bishop isn't defending it at this state...

11. Ng5 (threatening both the knight with the queen and the pawn on f7, which the bishop is also aiming at),

11 ..., Nh6 (sorta defends both threats for now)

12. Qb3, Bxc3
The opponent should have payed more attention to f6, since the queen is a third attacker now, I guess he assumed I'd take the bishop back since it took a knight for free and is aiming at the rook, the problem is that two of my attacks on f7 are check, so I can take the black bishop pretty much any time I like. Of course, I leave it for later and go for f7 instead:

13. Bxf7+, Nxf7 (I'm surprised he took with the knight, I'd have ran with the king instead)

14. Nxf6, (Qxf6 would be a check, win a pawn and I'd get to take the bishop on the next move, but I found this move even scarier, because now I have a discovered check, AND black's queen is under attack.

14 ..., Na5
(cute move by my opponent, it attacks my queen so if I take his he takes mine and he gets to save either the bishop or the knight next. Plus, if I try to run away with the queen maintaining the discovery check he could just harass my queen with pawns.)

But then I found an even cuter move =D

15. Nh6+

If he runs to f8 it's mate with Qg8, so the next sequence is a forced smothered checkmate:

15. ..., Kh8
16. Qg7+, Rxg7
17. Nf7++ and the mate is also a beautiful fork.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.10.2021 - 07:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Nice game, Karlabos!
Here, I made a link for your game: https://lichess.org/XWzXt1sm
I can't visualize a game just based on the notation, so I put the moves into Lichess.
I liked your commentary explaining your thought process - well done!
24.10.2021 - 07:48
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Karlabos on 07.03.2021 at 05:26

I felt proud of my mate here, but analyzing, it turns out it was a blunderfest =p

2 blunders and 4 inaccuracies isn't bad at all! It's actually pretty good- plus your opponent made more blunders. Mistakes are just human. It's actually very rare even for masters to know every computer move in a game
24.10.2021 - 16:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.10.2021 at 07:44

Nice game, Karlabos!
Here, I made a link for your game: https://lichess.org/XWzXt1sm
I can't visualize a game just based on the notation, so I put the moves into Lichess.
I liked your commentary explaining your thought process - well done!

Woah, nice.

Yeah it turns out I could have added a link, heh? Gonna keep that in mind for the future

Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.10.2021 at 07:48

It's actually very rare even for masters to know every computer move in a game

Yeah, no kidding. I can see by Anna Cramling's channel content
----
- Reimu Hakurei
26.10.2021 - 14:30
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I, too, like power metal.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
26.10.2021 - 14:30
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Wait, I misread. I thought it was a thread about cheese.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
04.11.2021 - 22:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Such a weird game this was
Full of tricks.

me (white) vs opponent (black)

1. e4, e5
2. Nf3, d6
3. Bc4, Nc6
4. Nc3
As I said earlier, I don't like early Nc3 because it blocks my c pawn, but whenever they open with Phillidor defense I play this move because of the obscure De Légal's checkmate idea. And in fact, such idea played in this very game, lel

4. ..., Bg4
At this point I was like: could this be? My long awaited De Légal's mate chance?
The idea is giving the queen away with 5. Nxe5, then if 5. ..., BxD1 then 6. Bxf7 is forced mate after 6 ..., Ke7 7.Nd5++

The problem is that this idea doesn't work because instead of falling for the bait queen, after 5. Nxe5, the opponent could play 5. ..., Nxe5, and I lose a night for a pawn

So I just keep developing instead. I try not to play hope chess:

5. O-O, Nd4!?

Ok, now they are just asking for it

6. Nxe5!,
Again, if the opponent takes the queen it's forced mate, and a pretty obscure one to see, too. So I imagine my opponent already knew that trick but just didn't realize they fell for it until I took the pawn

6. ..., dxe5
7. Qxg4

The idea of the De Legál's trap is that if the opponent sees through then you win a pawn and a knight for a bishop just like that, because now there is no knight defending the B on g4.

7. ...,Nf3 Opponent could have taken my c pawn but they decided to develop instead

8. Qd1 (when I'm winning I go all materialistic), c6
9. Ne2, b5 (counterattacking instead of moving the knight)
10. Nxd4 (countering the counterattack), exd4
11. Bd3, Bc5
12. Re1, O-O
13. Kh1
Here I was with ideas of trading my c pawn for their annoying d one, but that would leave my king quite exposed, so I did that
13. ..., a5
14. a3, b4
15. axb4, axb4
16. Rxa8, Qxa8
17. c3
I wanted to get rid of their annoying pawn fast so I played that, also that queen coming to my 7th rank could be pretty scary if I had a conglomerate on my queen side like that, trading felt like the right thing to do. Of course, engine disagrees

17. ..., bxc3
18. dxc3, dxc3
19. bxc3, Bxf2
quite funny, if I hadn't moved my king earlier, they wouldn't have that free pawn to take.

But it all worked for the best, they equalized material but at least I got the f file:

20. Rf3, Bc5
21. c4, Rd8

scary, heh? My queen is aligned to their rook and the undefended B is the defender. Do I care? Nah...

22. Bb2, Nxe4

Gotta admit, this part wasn't planned. Opponent thought they could take a free pawn since the bishop is pinned, but I have this cute mate threat, that also threatens the knight, that I only saw after the whle thing was done:

23. Qg4!

Isn't it cute? But opponent keeps going

23. ..., Nf2+

Oh no! They forked my king and queen! I can't mate.
But they forgot that if I sac the rook I'm still threatening mate, so that's exactly what I do:

24. Rxf2
Notice that the bishop guards my 1-file froom the backrank mate, my 22th move was done exactly because I wanted to avoid that kind of idea.

And now, my opponent has to prevent mate sadly instead of taking the "free" rook on f2:

24. ..., g6

At this point I can either defend my B or my rook. Unfortunately I can't win an exchange here, I have to actually lose a piece, so I choose losing the B, of course:

25. Rf1, Qa2

Aaaand this is a fork. My white bishop was under attack and now the black also is and I can't defend them both. Of course, they could have taken my white B earlier, but then again, I'm up a piece, engine says I'm like up 5 or 6 points here, even though material is almost equal. But I find this other weird desperdo move, to push the advantage even further:

26. Bxg6, hxg6 (they have to take the B otherwise I have discovered check)
27. Bf6, Bf8??

And then my opponent blundered badly. After this I took the rook for free and they ran away. But I wanted to share this game because of that De Légal's trap and because of that beautiful fork avoidance on move 24.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.11.2021 - 12:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Karlabos on 04.11.2021 at 22:06

Such a weird game this was

Thanks for sharing! Yeah that was pretty entertaining that you and your opponent kept trying to trick each other. Thanks for also having a link - and I like your commentary!
Another thing you could think about is making a "study" on Lichess. There you can have comments for every move and even continuations of different lines.
I made one a year ago: https://lichess.org/study/ErXsBCph