Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
18.04.2008 - 19:29
MorbidGod
Account deleted
actually it all began when my causin who plays drumms in a german alternative rock band called "indica planet" told me about metallica n stuff...i was amazed by what those ppl played...it was like the key to unlock my rage at first..then when i got more into metal i realized it's more than this headbangment while listenin to metal or findin some way out!...it's more ova an art....a life xperience...
anywayz...i started that like 10 yeraz ago...when i was 10 yearz old or so...
thx for the topic anywayz.
20.04.2008 - 00:19
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
I started with stuff like new Metallica, Iron Maiden , Hammerfall,Judas Priest,Motorhead... And before 5-6 months my friend told me to DL Temple Of Shadows by Angra...it was amazing...I asked him to get me more power metal and slowly I have started to listen to all other genres and fucked that power metal...except Hammefall Angra and maybe BG and Nightwish
20.04.2008 - 01:01
eximius
It was winter, strange patterns of ice formed on my 2 sided window, a craw kept staring at me waiting for my move .... Hardly did I know what I was going to experience, my neck muscle grew stronger, my hair grew bigger until it came to a cease: "communist" scissors... damn big scissors, you don't want to dream those. of course it's a metaphor.
I was 13 when I started listening to real music, actually when I started listening to music. I don't have bigger brothers, nor my parents listen to metal, so I had to discover it myself. alone.
I started with HIM, Nirvana and all the shit I could get from lonely girls on the internet until I discovered Iron Maiden. These guys actually changed my life. I used to listened to them day and night, got interested in the music more and more and I think this is what motivated me searching more similar stuff...
maybe all of us owe a lot to just one single band, and to "the pick of destiny"...
22.04.2008 - 13:36
Berfones
I was 12 years old and my friend sent me a song he heard in a movie, it was Du Hast by Rammstein and from that moment I started listening to metal, this friend though, he is listening to hip hop and stuff like that now...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
23.04.2008 - 20:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
i started to listen to metal, when i was 11. not a die hard fan that time. i just gave some tapes and cd, of Marilyn Manson, Nirvana and then Sepultura and Moonspell... the one who gave me those cd's talked about Marilyn Manson that time, who has some evils, and me as a child became interested to those works which today i believe that, they are silly works...
but i still respect Moonspell, and i'm happy to have all their works, and i enjoy them. in that time first i've listened to Under the moonspell and i was afraid that they are true Satan. i enjoy that time.
24.04.2008 - 01:29
VampyJess
I cant remember how i found sonata arctica but i heard a couple of their songs (i still think they're amazing). Id always liked maiden but started to listen to them a lot more. Then i was introduced to cradle back when they werent total sh*t during an IT lesson, back in the day when i was only 12 in '99. I discovered the greatest band of all time Theatres des vampires and harsher stuff like bathory, emperor etc on my own. so it all sort of evolved from having heard a couple of sonata arcticas songs. As long as its metal then its great, well except for that white metal junk whatever the hell thats all about.
07.05.2008 - 23:55
Trinstar
It all started when I was either 5 or 6, my mother used to play the Led Zeppelin album "Physical Graffitti", and I was obsessed with it. I listened to the whole thing countless times. I went through various phases, including an "80s pop" phase, until I was on a boring vacation one day and I made it to the flea market and bought Metallica's "Ride The Lightning". I probably listened to that CD 50 times (no joke) on that trip! Soon after I discovered Slayer, Testament, and Obituary, and liked all the different styles a lot. Metalhead for life!
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
10.05.2008 - 03:09
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
I think I was 14, and after listening a lot to bands like korn,limpbizkit,molotov,slipknot,etc. A friend showed me some metal, and I remember this 5 songs that got me into Metal : Sepultura-Arise,Pantera-Cowboys from Hell,Metallica-One,Slayer-Bitter Peace and Dimmu Borgir-Spellbound! I fell totally in love! and I chose Metal HELL YEAH!
12.05.2008 - 16:36
owl
Written by [user id=32012] on 10.05.2008 at 03:09
I fell totally in love! and I chose Metal HELL YEAH!
You don't choose Metal; Metal chooses you.
----
17.05.2008 - 10:49
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i was 16 and i started with a tape which a lady gave it to me. the tape was best of Guns 'N Roses.i loved that tape soon. then my female-cousin gave me a tape which had Metallica's enter sandman-unforgiven-nothin else matters-for whom the bell tolls-fade to black- and Def Leppards Hystria-Women and Scorpions's Wind Of Change- ...

i remember it so nice cause it was-is-and will be the most importnat time of my life.
17.05.2008 - 11:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=31891] on 17.05.2008 at 10:49

i was 16 and i started with a tape which a lady gave it to me. the tape was best of Guns 'N Roses.i loved that tape soon. then my female-cousin gave me a tape which had Metallica's enter sandman-unforgiven-nothin else matters-for whom the bell tolls-fade to black- and Def Leppards Hystria-Women and Scorpions's Wind Of Change- ...

i remember it so nice cause it was-is-and will be the most importnat time of my life.

It was in Iran? isnt in those days there was more stricted rulles about it?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2008 - 14:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2008 at 11:58

Written by [user id=31891] on 17.05.2008 at 10:49

It was in Iran? isnt in those days there was more stricted rulles about it?

those tapes wwere copies and i have to say that after civil war here i can say that 99% of musics are fobidden cause of lyrics and women. our singers(pop singers r in LA-USA right now). but ppl have a culture here they r not like arabs as u think! so they can find what they want even if in those times (for example 25 years ago) ppl would find music even there werent internet or satelite
17.05.2008 - 16:57
JESTER576
Account deleted
I started listning to it since I was 10 I think. Of courseIwasn't really into music back then, but I soon grew out of that. The first metal bands I remember hearing were Judas Priest, Slayer. Anthrax, and Megadeth. At the time I didn't know about Metallica's old stuff, but I soon found RIde the Lightning, and I just couldn't belive it was Metallica. All the stuff played on the radio was shit compared to Ride the Lightning.

Then I just started getting heavier, and digging deeper into metal. I started listening to Motorhead, Venom, Nile, Behemoth, Strapping Young Lad, Mastodon. It took me a few years, but I had to grow into I guess.
18.05.2008 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=25906] on 20.09.2007 at 20:03

... my co-workers think I'm crazy and "dark" because I'm still so into it. I laugh at them because they are listening to BS thats forced down their throats by FM radio and don't know how to think for themselves. So, thats my story.....

Tell me about it quite a few of my co-workers thinnk the same of me. And keep on saying that the music I listen to isn't for 40-year-olds and more of that crap.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2008 - 14:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2008 at 14:28

Written by [user id=25906] on 20.09.2007 at 20:03

... my co-workers think I'm crazy and "dark" because I'm still so into it. I laugh at them because they are listening to BS thats forced down their throats by FM radio and don't know how to think for themselves. So, thats my story.....

Tell me about it quite a few of my co-workers thinnk the same of me. And keep on saying that the music I listen to isn't for 40-year-olds and more of that crap.

Same say my classmates and moust tahy dislike my hair, and I dont care about it , just wanna see what thay will say when I be 40/50 years old

Only in Sweden peolple dont say to me nothing about metal
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2008 - 00:42
Hrothdane
I was in my freshman year of college, and I discoverd YTMND. I almost immediately went and downloaded the soundtrack, which included Fury of the Storm (since it was used in http://takeshikaga.ytmnd.com/ ). Up until then, I hadn't even heard of anything remotely like power metal, and I discovered that I loved it. I dont really listen to dragonforce anymore, but fury of the storm will always have a certain nostalgia to it
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
20.05.2008 - 04:32
EpicMayhem
Like you said it kind of builds up. At first for me it was hard rock stuff like gnr and and audioslave but then later i found heavier stuff that i was in love with like Power Metal and Heavy Metal and at one point you come at a climaxe where you have all your favorite Metal genres and you start to explore more bands from those genres.
20.05.2008 - 22:36
bloodlover
Account deleted
I grew up with metal in my family. My parents listen to it, so I first heard of Iron Maiden , Black sabbath and co. ever since I was a little child. When I was 15 i started listening to black metal and industrial. Anyway, big thumbs up for my mom and dad for teaching me to listen to good music
22.05.2008 - 10:20
vatro
Account deleted
I started listning when i was 12 or 13 i think
i heard some bands like metallica and system of a down and i like it
22.05.2008 - 10:46
Freezer
I started when I was 13-14, after buying a Blind Guardian T-Shirt (which I didn't know was a music band, at the time XD). At high school I remained around the power metal/hard rock area. Now I listen to almost all metal genres, except for very very brutal death metal and grind. I've discovered doom metal a couple of years ago, and I absolutely love it
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
22.05.2008 - 11:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Freezer on 22.05.2008 at 10:46

I started when I was 13-14, after buying a Blind Guardian T-Shirt (which I didn't know was a music band, at the time XD). At high school I remained around the power metal/hard rock area. Now I listen to almost all metal genres, except for very very brutal death metal and grind. I've discovered doom metal a couple of years ago, and I absolutely love it

Me to but I strat whit death metal, nowdays Im hevay and doom, lil black, but old school death I liek it, but can not stand nowdays death and grind

Vanadium and Pino scotto kick ass
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2008 - 19:52
Freezer
Well, I mean, I like death metal (Behemoth, Atheist, Death...) but I can't manage to get into too "violent" death. Who knows, maybe I will XD

I don't like Pino Scotto very much, to be honest :p but he is quite funny when he is in TV
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
23.05.2008 - 22:02
immaculate
Account deleted
i was 11 and i heard system of a down and i absolutly loved it and then i gradually just got heavier
linkin park to system of a down to slipknot to job for a cowboy to despised icon to waking the cadaver to deicide.
it all just really built up.
25.05.2008 - 07:04
hhcash
Account deleted
I was listening to Rock, and slowly I would just keep buying more heavy albums. Before I knew it, I was listening to death metal.
25.05.2008 - 16:14
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
Once upon a time, there was a 13 year old girl, who used to listen to rock and punk (Nirvana 'n' stuff like that) until one day her cousin gave her a Slipknot tape. Being the first metal-like music she totally got into them. It wasn't a perfect relationship and soon she had the craving for more (and better...) metal music. Luckily her guitar teacher saw her little evolution and introduced her to prince Dream Theater. It was love at first sight. The prince helped her escape from Slipknot and their friends and they got married in the wonderful world of metal. And they live(d) happily ever after.
The End.
25.05.2008 - 18:39
The Soothsayer
Account deleted
I would say that I've been listening to metal since I was 10. However, as a major fan and it being my primary music, fall of 2006. My dad was always a big fan of Ac/Dc, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden while my mom was a bit more of a fan of more lighter rock and such. Naturally, I took after my dad's tastes more. From the time I was 10-15, I was a big fan of Van Halen, Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne and such. Then when I was 15 (about February of 2006), I started getting into metalcore. I didn't like it at first, but after a while, it grew on me. This worked for a little while until the summer of 2006 when I went to the Sounds of the Underground festival. I had just turned 16 a month before. It was there that I got my first real taste of the extreme metal scene. It was seeing Cannibal Corpse that mostly did it for me. Though I hadn't listened to that much of them before, I was curious to see what they were like. And seeing them live pretty much changed whole course for me. From then on, I got into bands like Nile, In Flames, At the Gates, Children of Bodom (most of these were bands I knew about, just hadn't checked out much of their material yet). I also started to really get into the older stuff like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Though I liked hearing them when my dad played them, I didn't really start to take a major interest until the fall of 2006. So from then on, it's been mostly metal all the way.
25.05.2008 - 21:07
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I really started listening to metal about a year and a half ago.

I previously listened to mostly some hard rock: Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn, Godsmack, Sevendust, etc.

but it was actually in my lacrosse team's locker room where a lot of metal was played, and thru a lot of exposure, I kinda developed my own likes and dislikes and began to pursue metal on my own.
26.05.2008 - 00:15
Ka Tet
My mother and father raised me on bands like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, & Deep Purple. When I was about 10 or so I went and used my allowance to buy my first cassettes. I bought Judas Priest - Turbo Lover & Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time. I almost bought Death - Leprosy, but it was the one I passed. I guess I wasn't ready for it... yet!

I listened to Iron Maiden & Judas Priest for quite awhile, amassing a small collection. I was young still and dipped into stuff like Motley Crue & the like for a short time, but then a friend introduced me to Metallica, Megadeth & Slayer and got me out of that. Me and this same friend were both just learning guitar at this point and we religiously practiced songs by Metallica & Megadeth.

Then, one day, he brought over Death - Individual Thought Patterns and that was the new phase. We quickly picked up Symbolic & Spiritual Healing. From their we expanded into Morbid Angel - Covenant & Domination, Sepultura - Arise, & Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding.

Next came Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve. We'd never heard anything like "Future Breed Machine" and it amazed us. It was like when we first listened to "God Of Emptiness" & "Rapture"

Soon after that I found Therion - Ho Drakon Ho Megas and our metal tastes finally split. I started dipping into the more symphonic/gothic stuff until eventually I was listening to My Dying Bride, then Cradle of Filth & Dimmu Borgir. (& of course, always Therion) He was looking for the harder faster stuff and got me into Suffocation - Pierced From Within & Carcass - Heartwork. Ironically he found Lacuna Coil and introduced that to me. Then one day I was telling him about this band my roomate had let me listen to (Opeth - Blackwater Park) and his brother had shown that to him as well.

For awhile I had slipped out of metal and was listening to a lot of Mike Patton stuff like Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas. I got into acoustic guitar and started listening to John Frusciante a lot and Red Hot Chili Peppers too. But the call of metal is strong and I always put my old favorites back in to keep listening to it.

Most recently Meshuggah - Obzen is amazing me. My friend has bought an 8-string Ibanez and let me play around on it. Who knows what's next...
27.05.2008 - 09:29
Kuulls
Account deleted
I was about 9, so like 5/6 years ago, my dad was into The Rolling Stones and stuff at the time but he used to listen to stuff like Metallica, and Iron Madien. Then, one day in the car, he decided to put some Metallica on, and my mind was blown. = /
30.05.2008 - 20:58
ICSVortex
Account deleted
I'd say 3 years ago (I know not long ago actually) My friend got me into Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Slayer. Last year I discovered other metal genres such as death metal, black metal, symphonic metal, power metal...honestly, I can't go back to any other genre now (other than hard rock)