Metal Storm logo
Unfathomable Ruination - To Perform Inside Soundproof Box

After Napalm Death performed through an experimental sculptural sound system that caused the ceramic structures to slowly crack, now London brutal death metallers Unfathomable Ruination will be performing regularly outside the Gherkin in London throughout July and early August and they will be doing so from inside a soundproof box.

The band accepted the challenge of Portuguese artist João Onofre to perform inside this unique performance art piece, Box Sized Die, which is part of the public exhibition Sculpture in the City. Performance times: July 3rd at 6 & 7pm, 4 July-1 August 2014 at 6pm Wednesday-Friday. If you are in town, maybe you can check it out.

"The box is soundproofed, determining and restricting the performance's duration to the length of time in which the oxygen is expended. Outside the cube, viewers observe its strange vibrations, only viewing the band's entrance and exit to the performance space."

So, basically Unfathomable Ruination will be performing until they run out of oxygen. Hopefully, the term "death metal" will not be taken too literally.

© Nick Turpin

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Unfathomable Ruination
Posted: 30.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 75 users
30.06.2014 - 20:37
Lit.
Account deleted
Wat?
30.06.2014 - 20:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Awesome. I love it. Going to check out that thing with Napalm Death.
EDIT: Crap. That was just a live feed.
30.06.2014 - 20:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 20:42
Going to check out that thing with Napalm Death.

i was at that. Was a cool concept but the sound was awful, and it kind of didn't really work in terms of destroying the sculpture, aside from people jumping over the security line and kicking it themselves.

I've seen Unflappable Urination a couple of times. Quite a fun band.
30.06.2014 - 20:49
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 20:44
i was at that. Was a cool concept but the sound was awful, and it kind of didn't really work in terms of destroying the sculpture, aside from people jumping over the security line and kicking it themselves.

I've seen Unflappable Urination a couple of times. Quite a fun band.

Aw. Shame. From what I heard ND can be very inconsistent with the quality of their shows. I saw them twice and it sucked both times.
Reminds me of the models we had to built in architecture that were designed to crumble after a certain amount of pressure but didn't. We discretely threw bricks at them if the teachers weren't looking.

Inflatable Urtication sounds very fun.
30.06.2014 - 20:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 20:49

Aw. Shame. From what I heard ND can be very inconsistent with the quality of their shows. I saw them twice and it sucked both times.
Reminds me of the models we had to built in architecture that were designed to crumble after a certain amount of pressure but didn't. We discretely threw bricks at them if the teachers weren't looking.

Inflatable Urtication sounds very fun.

I've seen them a couple of other times too and they probably count amongst my favourite shows of all time

Throwing things is the answer to most problems I find.
30.06.2014 - 21:49
I understand art doesn't need a point, but this seems like a gimmicky publicity stunt :/
30.06.2014 - 21:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LascaillesShroud on 30.06.2014 at 21:49

I understand art doesn't need a point, but this seems like a gimmicky publicity stunt :/

I don't see that as an issue. It's entertaining, and the band gets some publicity. Everyone's a winner. Ultimately though it's about 10,875 times less retarded than this.
30.06.2014 - 22:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 21:55

I don't see that as an issue. It's entertaining, and the band gets some publicity. Everyone's a winner. Ultimately though it's about 10,875 times less retarded than this.

I had to write very long essays about "worse".
30.06.2014 - 22:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:02

I had to write very long essays about "worse".

Sounds horrible. Art's stupidity often annoys me, but then that's probably the whole point.
30.06.2014 - 22:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 22:07
Sounds horrible. Art's stupidity often annoys me, but then that's probably the whole point.

I don't want to sound like a huge elitist contemporary art douche, but most of it unfortunately needs a lot of art knowledge to be understood. And it's made to be like that on purpose. So yes, quite enraging. I personally hate that about it.
30.06.2014 - 22:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:12

I don't want to sound like a huge elitist contemporary art douche, but most of it unfortunately needs a lot of art knowledge to be understood. And it's made to be like that on purpose. So yes, quite enraging. I personally hate that about it.

Sounds just like art film which often require knowledge of the autere via his film making to properly grasp. Pretty much why I don't enjoy most art film.
30.06.2014 - 22:24
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 22:18

Sounds just like art film which often require knowledge of the autere via his film making to properly grasp. Pretty much why I don't enjoy most art film.

Indeed, I found myself walking out of a movie theatre for the first time in my life because I couldn't take the pretentious shit of an art film. I had more patience during Van Helsing.
30.06.2014 - 22:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:24

Indeed, I found myself walking out of a movie theatre for the first time in my life because I couldn't take the pretentious shit of an art film. I had more patience during Van Helsing.

Ah, Van Helsing. I got through that film by looking at all the pretty people in it and little else.
30.06.2014 - 22:30
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 22:27

Ah, Van Helsing. I got through that film by looking at all the pretty people in it and little else.

I stayed because I was being friendzoned by the guy I went to the cinema with. I was desperately hoping he'd get jealous of the comments on Hugh Jackman.
30.06.2014 - 22:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 30.06.2014 at 22:30

I stayed because I was being friendzoned by the guy I went to the cinema with. I was desperately hoping he'd get jealous of the comments on Hugh Jackman.

Probably not one of the better evenings you've ever had then.
30.06.2014 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
A enough chit chat here, back to Unfathomable Ruination
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2014 - 22:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yes, back to Unmemorable Menstruation.
30.06.2014 - 22:34
Ilham
Giant robot
I should check out Unforeseeable Rumination indeed.
30.06.2014 - 23:19
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm not sure I'd like Unforeseen Consequences.
30.06.2014 - 23:31
Ilham
Giant robot
I think you're confusing with Unsnaggable Ramifications.
30.06.2014 - 23:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Didn't they do a tour with Unpalatable Masturbation?
30.06.2014 - 23:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
C'mon guys, you are basically asking for it now...

Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 21:55

Hhahahahahaha what the fuck did I just watch. Soooo deep. :

Honestly, this thing looks retarded but they get exposure without anyone hearing anything. Interesting.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.06.2014 - 23:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah, back when they were called Unadapatable Mommification.
Are we going to get yelled at? I'm sorry Marcel, Joe started it. Take him.
01.07.2014 - 00:01
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Sounds uhh... artistic
:|

But with an 'u' instead of the 'r'
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.07.2014 - 07:56
MetalDoomMaster
Written by Guest on 30.06.2014 at 23:37

Didn't they do a tour with Unpalatable Masturbation?

No, I've only done a tour with Uncomfortable Ejaculation.
In all seriousness though, I'd probably rather actually see the band play live instead of a box on the street, but I guess I've never heard the band so that may not be true.
01.07.2014 - 14:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.06.2014 at 23:41

Honestly, this thing looks retarded but they get exposure without anyone hearing anything. Interesting.

How is that retarded? It's a "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it" kind of experiment. Plenty of artists have worked on the concept of perception by hiding their actual artwork and wondering what the consequences in aesthetics are. It's a central question in contemporary art, and art in general, as we are relentlessly bombarded by visual and musical stimuli.

Nothing to do with music, but this very simple piece by Philippe Ramette (saw it in person) could be compared to what the band will do. What you see in the picture is a resin/polymer statue hidden behind a curtain. It is placed at the end of a long and empty white corridor, and the only thing you see is the feet. You have to get close to find out if it's really a person behind the curtain, or not. When you get closer, you realise there is a small hole in the curtain through which the eye of the statue has been looking at you all along. The curtain is the box; the feet you see from afar are the vibrations you hear coming from the box; and the peephole in the curtain is when you see the band enter and exit the box.

01.07.2014 - 14:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ilham on 01.07.2014 at 14:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.06.2014 at 23:41

How is that retarded? It's a "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it" kind of experiment. Plenty of artists have worked on the concept of perception by hiding their actual artwork and wondering what the consequences in aesthetics are. It's a central question in contemporary art, and art in general, as we are relentlessly bombarded by visual and musical stimuli.

It does make more sense under that point of view. I'd give you that. I'm can't say I know much about that kind of art anyways.
I'm liking the stuff from a guy who plays BM with a friggin hammered dulcimer and defended the fact that his music still being metal so who am I to call stuff gimmicky, weird or stupid...
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2014 - 14:58
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2014 at 14:49

It does make more sense under that point of view. I'd give you that. I'm can't say I know much about that kind of art anyways.
I'm liking a guy who plays BM with a friggin hammered dulcimer so who am I to call stuff gimmicky.

The fact you worship a crazy person and the majestic fail when I talked to you about Francis Bacon (yes I'm going to use that all the time) doesn't give you the right to complain about how weird it is . I personally don't think it's weird at all.
No but seriously, the problem now with people is they react to art like little kids to maths, if they don't get it the first time, they call it stupid. And sometimes you just have to think a little. This is not about you, it's a general statement.
01.07.2014 - 15:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ilham on 01.07.2014 at 14:58

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2014 at 14:49

I'm liking a guy who plays BM with a friggin hammered dulcimer so who am I to call stuff gimmicky.

The fact you worship a crazy person and the majestic fail when I talked to you about Francis Bacon (yes I'm going to use that all the time) doesn't give you the right to complain about how weird it is . I personally don't think it's weird at all.
No but seriously, the problem now with people is they react to art like little kids to maths, if they don't get it the first time, they call it stupid. And sometimes you just have to think a little. This is not about you, it's a general statement.

Regarding Bacon, I can only say that I recognized the pope series right away but never checked out his name. But yeah my bad.... I'm never gonna live past that, right?
I can get behind the second statement too. It sort of reminds me of John Cage's 4'33'' which is something I at first couldn't get.
After a while reading/listening to some of his thoughts regarding music and sound... I ended up appreciating his thoughts regarding the subject.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2014 - 15:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2014 at 15:04

Regarding Bacon, I can only say that I recognized the pope series right away but never checked out his name. But yeah my bad.... I'm never gonna live past that, right?
I can get behind the second statement too. It sort of reminds me of John Cage's 4'33'' which is something I at first couldn't get.
After a while reading/listening to some of his thoughts regarding music and sound... I ended up appreciating his thoughts regarding the subject.

I'm just teasing you with the Bacon thing. I just loved the "how does this look like bacon?" part. You recognized the Pie X painting, you are totally absolved of your sins against art.
Oh John Cage, now we're talking. He did a lot of experiments on silence, the absence of public, etc, that could be related to this box thing indeed. He is part of a whole movement, if you want to explore more of the concepts behind what he did in music. The movement is called Fluxus, (even Yoko Ono was part of it) and one of my favourite artists in general and in that branch is Nam June Paik. Go through this, there are a lot of funny performances in there. There's even a Joe Jones performer.

Hits total: 2546 | This month: 15