Metal Storm logo
Varg Vikernes - Found Guilty In French Trial

The Local is reporting that Burzum's Varg Vikernes has been found guilty by a French court of inciting racial hatred and glorifying war crimes through his blog postings. His trial started in June after being postponed last year. Vikernes was originally arrested in 2013 on suspicion of planning a terrorist act but released from custody shortly after. He was tried on incitement charges related to anti-Semitic and xenophobic postings on his blog.

The Norwegian musician faces a ?8,000 ($10,000) fine and six-month suspended prison sentence for blog postings that allegedly glorified war crimes and promoted discrimination against Jews and Muslims. Vikernes, 41, was not present in court and neither was his lawyer as the verdict was delivered. He has denied posting racist blogs and said they were written by someone else.

Varg told the court that according to Norwegian secret police there were "at any given moment 350 people pretending to be Varg Vikernes on Facebook", adding that "anybody can very easily put up a blog" that appeared to be one of his. Ten excerpts from the blogs written between March and June 2013 that attack Muslims and Jews were presented as evidence in court.

Burzum also released the new album The Ways Of Yore this year in case you hadn't noticed.

Photo: Jacques Demarthon/AFP

Source: thelocal.no
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 08.07.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 46   Visited by: 424 users
08.07.2014 - 21:21
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
After so much trouble he has been through in his teenage years you would think that a man who wasted the most important years of his life would want to have a decent, peaceful life in a more secluded place. But no... Vikernes is the kind of guy that no matter how much trouble he gets into, he just won't learn. Varg dude, this time you have a family, think about it when you post stupid racist, xenophobic shit because the ones who will suffer will be your kids and your wife.
08.07.2014 - 21:24
Lit.
Account deleted

Maniac's right; the dude never learns, and he should at least know better than to try such a flimsy excuse.
08.07.2014 - 21:28
Ocean Sage
Wow, there goes Burzum and Varg's family. They are going to get the rough end of this.
08.07.2014 - 21:29
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
What a douche..
08.07.2014 - 21:31
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I wonder how Varg got in trouble for doing this stuff but not Famine?
08.07.2014 - 21:33
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Ocean Sage on 08.07.2014 at 21:28

Wow, there goes Burzum and Varg's family. They are going to get the rough end of this.

So Burzum and his family can survive being jailed for murder but not racism?
08.07.2014 - 21:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
He's not going to prison though. It's a suspended sentence, which means if he fucks up in that time frame he will go to prison.
08.07.2014 - 21:44
Windrider
Raureif
"written by someone else ..." He has this damn huge site online in which he constantly posts shit... The stuff about Burzum is interesting, but together with his wife (which is ready for the asylum) they think of too much shit and write it down...
08.07.2014 - 22:13
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 21:31

I wonder how Varg got in trouble for doing this stuff but not Famine?

Famine peeing on the internet, if I remember correctly. So he (rather) don't have a blog where publishes such content. Correct me if I'm wrong.
08.07.2014 - 22:27
Reaper_Redeemer
08.07.2014 - 22:31
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Paz on 08.07.2014 at 22:13

Famine peeing on the internet, if I remember correctly. So he (rather) don't have a blog where publishes such content. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dunno about blogs, but you can find interviews where he speaks out his mind without hesitation.

Keep in mind that Varg is a celebrity by now, when this arrest happened it even had a place on the most popular newspaper of my country... and that won't happen unless it's something big. On the contrary, nobody knows who Famine is. And those who know the bands he was involved in may not recognize him by his pseudonym either.
08.07.2014 - 23:05
Andrew_Deer
None,really
Well, this is insteresting. So he got fined just for writing down his thoughts? It's like arresting a songwriter or poet. How come people can't write what they want? Or do I understand wrong?
08.07.2014 - 23:24
a MasT
I love free-speech.
08.07.2014 - 23:45
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
As with the memorabilia in his past, those autographed things can potentially be worth a lot, depending on the markets saturation with how many.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

08.07.2014 - 23:52
X5452
Account deleted
DRAMA ALERT!!!
08.07.2014 - 23:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Andrew_Deer on 08.07.2014 at 23:05

Well, this is insteresting. So he got fined just for writing down his thoughts? It's like arresting a songwriter or poet. How come people can't write what they want? Or do I understand wrong?

Agree with this.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.07.2014 - 00:38
Ocean Sage
Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 21:33

Written by Ocean Sage on 08.07.2014 at 21:28

So Burzum and his family can survive being jailed for murder but not racism?

Their reputation is just going to keep getting worse. Before it was just Varg and his then girlfriend. His kids will grow up with everyone hating, bullying and potentially hurting/threatening them. It's a different situation. Don't be ignorant and group every Varg controversy together. Imagine his family's perspective and have a heart or at least empathize with someone else there, man.
09.07.2014 - 00:42
Vombatus
Potorro

Well, being condemned or censored for "racial hatred" is quite common... And I guess french authorities were a bit frustrated after last years intervention so they were looking forward to this.
09.07.2014 - 01:09
Jiri
Varg needs to crowdfund his $10,000 fine.
09.07.2014 - 02:36
Rsrdaman

I'm thinking the same thing.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, he is getting fined for "discrimination against Jews and Muslims"? He's a irreligious Black Metal musician, of course he is going to be against them just as much as he is against Christians. How is it any different?
09.07.2014 - 02:45
Sword_Chant
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 08.07.2014 at 21:21

After so much trouble he has been through in his teenage years you would think that a man who wasted the most important years of his life would want to have a decent, peaceful life in a more secluded place. But no... Vikernes is the kind of guy that no matter how much trouble he gets into, he just won't learn. Varg dude, this time you have a family, think about it when you post stupid racist, xenophobic shit because the ones who will suffer will be your kids and your wife.

^ Well said!
09.07.2014 - 03:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
No matter how bad my life gets, at least I know I'm not Varg Vikernes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.07.2014 - 04:03
Electes
Written by Jiri on 09.07.2014 at 01:09

Varg needs to crowdfund his $10,000 fine.

I'd give him a dollar. His site is so tame, haha. The French gov must not have looked far into the interwebs if they think Varg is dangerous.
09.07.2014 - 04:49
Sang Dalang Abu
To muslim? haha
09.07.2014 - 04:56
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 04:53

Amazing. Freedom of speech in France is a hilarious farce.
Interestingly enough the French let Islamic terrorist types walk free until some idiot shots some kids and 3 soldiers and then promptly went on an arresting spree, arresting all these guys they knew were fundamentalist extremists with links to terrorism.
Politicial correctness gone mad.

I love how you mix two things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
09.07.2014 - 05:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 05:05

They do have a lot in common. On one case some twat gets charged for spreading hate on internet and on the other a whole heap of dudes with terror links spewing hate get to walk around until someone got killed.
It's political correctness gone mad - one set of rules for idiot whites spreading hate and another for idiot Muslims/North Africans spreading hate (and then one of them going on a killing spree).
And in the end it's all related to discourses about the future of our societies as well as centuries old conflicts that flare up occassionally.

You are comparing two events that are in no way similar, neither in terms of context nor gravity. I think you are very quick to judge every time the word "muslim" appears somewhere, and that leads you to put together any fact you might have heard of with the one in hand. I don't think that's how you should think about the situation. Thinking only with examples and counter-examples leads to nothing.
09.07.2014 - 05:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 05:29

Certainly not in gravity - some Black Metal twat spouting hate is far less effective than some cleric doing so and inciting or assisting actual violent acts.

As for context, it's the same. What's the difference between a white guy saying "death to Jews/Christians," or some Muslim/Black/Asian/whatever guy "saying death to Westerners?"

As for word muslim, in case you haven't noticed, the West has been waging war against extremist muslims since 2001 whilst extremist Muslims have been waging war on west since at least 1993. You can understand the lack of trust.

I don't know if I made myself clear. I am not commenting on your post because I side with the verdict. I have absolutely no interest in what Varg does with his mouth. I just don't think it's reasonable to compare a terrorist act to this. It's fact that you don't want to see. Just because there is something in this story about Varg dissing muslims, it doesn't mean you can compare it to an unrelated crime involving a muslim and put the two together so as to draw the conclusion the French justice system is biased, flawed, skewed, or whatever you were trying to say. It makes you look almost like a conspiracy nut.
Again, I am talking about your reasoning in itself.
09.07.2014 - 06:11
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Varg is the OJ Simpson of black metal. Dude cannot stay out of trouble even if he tries haha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.07.2014 - 06:23
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
"It wasn't me who wrote it. It was Øystein. He did it."
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.07.2014 - 06:31
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 09.07.2014 at 06:08

My point is the French let several of those arrested spout hate until it got very bloody, whereas Varg was jumped on quickly.
Some of those arrested were terrorists but others were just extremists albeit with more influence than Varg as they were clerics.
So how come the French government jumps on some Black Metal twat straight away but let terrorists/suspected extremists go about their business until it turned bloody?
That's the thing you're not seeing. That's a clear bias.
The French also cancelled visas for some visiting imams at the time because they were also know to spout hatred.
So if the Toulouse/Montauban killings hadn't happened, the French would've let those extremists carry on.
Meanwhile I doubt they would have let a Nazi/white supermacist go - after all white supremacists and Neo-nazis are hated more in the west than even active terrorists.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I still don't agree. The struggle against islam radicals and terrorists happens in the dark. Most of what is done in that matter is never disclosed to the public, and if it is, it happens only after being filtered first and distorted by the media then. You can't say the French justice is biased against nazis (lol) compared to radical imams based on what I still think is an isolated event of a nutter not being able to shut his mouth and got fined quick for it. You are always bringing the subject back to islam. That is your problem. Plus you are trying to bring me into the ring, yet I have said I had absolutely no interest in debating the subject of Varg or radical mulslim crimes in France and the way the justice reacts to them.

Hits total: 10136 | This month: 21