Metal Storm logo
The Metal Scene of Nepal

Written by: Cynic Metalhead
Published: 27.08.2014

I left for Nepal on 12th of January with a bunch of my friends, a trip that had been scheduled for a while. Finally, we got some time off from our HQ and paved our way to Kathmandu (which happens to be our first stop en route to Pokhra and then back to Kathmandu). My relationship with Nepal is somewhat constrained - but I didn't know I had any connection to this country until I got a call from my mom saying "Hey, that's really nice. You know what? Your relatives live there."

Relatives? Relatives?! What the hell?! Glad to know I got some roots from my mom's family in the form of my cousin's sister, great aunt, maternal aunt, and many more.

My cousin's brother (whom I know nothing about) took up this initiative to introduce us to some of the Nepali rock and metal bands, himself a big fan of the scene.

I said:

He brought us to a local Nepal festival in Katmandu, and that's where my incipient research on the Nepal metal scene fired up. My research methods varied, musicians themselves to Internet browsing and, in some cases, learning more about the scene from a few friends.

Bidroha

Hailing from the capital city of Nepal, the "Land of Himalayas", Bidroha means "retaliation". It's a 4-piece thrash metal band formed in early 2010 with the initiation of vocalist Saurabh and lead guitarist Zantu. They're heavily influenced by the likes of Sodom, Slayer, Exodus, Sepultura, Megadeth, and Evile, and their lyrical content focuses on political sarcasm. Bidroha is retaliating against the social-political condition of the country. Bidroha has so far released 3 singles while working on their debut album.

Check out more on Facebook, Bandcamp and SoundCloud.

Ugra Karma

"Welcome to the official death page of Ugra Karma (which means "human violence") the first death metal band from the kingdom of Nepal. We're a 3-piece outfit playing old school death metal. We spit about hatred, nihilism, atheism, death, torture, gore, serial killers, etc." Stylistically and lyrically, this might seem like some banal stuff. But boy oh boy, they're damn good at what they do.

Founded in 1999, Ugra Karma is working on new full-length record, Blood Mental Intitiation, which should be released soon. To date they have released a demo.

Check out more on Facebook.

Dying Out Flame

Formed in 2011, Dying Out Flame plays an extreme death metal mixed with Hindu classical modalities. They're considered to be the first Vedic death metal band. Influenced by Decapitated, Nile, Kartikeya, [band]Fleshgod Apocalypse[/bad], Immolation, and Vomitory, their music encapsulates Hindu music mantras, clean vocals mixed with growls, lead and rhythm acrobatics, and frequent Eastern classical breakdowns. Dying Out Flame is currently working on a debut album.

Kalodin

Kalodin means "dark age", and is one of the more accessible extreme metal bands in Nepal. Formed in 2006 by guitarist Davin Shakya, his passion for the symphonic black/death metal scene is what has helped this band achieve popularity. With one full-length album, The Bestial Ritualism of Harlotry in the catalog, Kalodin managed to receive plenty of praise, even being featured in Terrorizer magazine. To prove the band's extremity, they once burned The Bible on stage.

Antim Grahan

Antim Grahan means "the last day on Earth before Armageddon". They play a ferocious brand of black metal since forming in late 2003. Their debut, The Ruin of Immortals, was received with much acclaim, released internationally in Japan and receiving worldwide recognition. Having cemented their position in the dominating death metal scene of Nepal, Antim Grahan spectacularly released 5 albums. The band's debut EP, Forever Winter, was influenced by more somber folk music. But by the time they unleashed The Ruin of Immortals, they were on the death metal fence.

Underside

A dude from Switzerland left his band and met up with Avishek K.C (frontman of E.Quals) during a recording session at Silence Studios, forming a band called Underside. Formed in 2010, Underside is a metal band with influences from retro rock to old school thrash concocted in a completely modern way.

Well, so far I manage to dig up these talents from the land of the Himalayas. I have to say, the Nepal metal scene is growing. There is plenty of space for the country to produce interesting and undiscovered bands that haven't shown up on the mainstream metal radar just yet. But the people out here have a passion for metal, and they're bloody serious about what they do with their bands. Nepal, with its economic crisis, lack of funds and instruments, and constant power failures (they've a "rotational load shedding" where power distribution is limited, thus resulting in rolling blackouts in many areas) sets potential booming artists back on achieving their passion in life. However, the conditions are now improving.

There are a few gigs for sweaty college metalheads who enjoy mosh pits, bloody noses, stage diving, getting drunk, and of course, metal. Gigs like Nepal Death Metal Fest, Metal Mayhem, Silence Fest, Brutal Lunch Box, and Disharmony gives bands some freedom. Some of the leading platforms like Nepfest, Silence Entertainment not only push homegrown bands, also attract foreign acts like Vader, Decapitated, and Behemoth. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Nepal and its beauty. It was a really good stay. I hope to come back in future.

Subha din (have a nice day), everyone!

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 95 users
27.08.2014 - 20:40
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Like button doesn't work for me, eh. Interesting !
----
28.08.2014 - 12:52
raveneffect

Well, this article had a lot of potential but, in my humble and honest opinion, you went lazy when you just went copy/paste the info from their page and posted the logo + Youtube videos.

I think this would be a lot better if you gave us your honest opinion about the show itself and ups and downs of it.

On the other hand, your last two paragraphs told me exactly what I wanted to know; the conditions and if this is a one timer festival of if theres a regular growing underground scene.

great job overall, it was an interesting read.
28.08.2014 - 13:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by raveneffect on 28.08.2014 at 12:52

Well, this article had a lot of potential but, in my humble and honest opinion, you went lazy when you just went copy/paste the info from their page and posted the logo + Youtube videos.

I think this would be a lot better if you gave us your honest opinion about the show itself and ups and downs of it.

Well, I had long list of bands which I thought was very intersting and including every one of them will be total junk. So I trimmed down to the best ones which I had included above. As far as my opinions are concerned, I didn't mention it 'cause it would look just like another "metal list" everyone creating here. So by giving a general information about these unearthed Nepal metal bands, I'm letting others decide how my research is. Mind you, some of them has totally hit the international fame.
28.08.2014 - 14:10
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
The scene in Nepal is pretty interesting, I'm sure they have it much harder there than we have it here in India, with regards to getting regular gigs, but it has been growing, and you're always hearing about new bands from there.

I know the dudes from Underside and they're probably one of the biggest bands from there. I have to say they've probably released one of the best videos(production wise) from the subcontinent and they write some pretty cool music too.
They also run the Silence festival that's happening in September. I think it's one of the biggest metal festivals in Nepal and it gets a pretty decent turnout every year, especially with past headliners like Behemoth, Decapitated, Freak Kitchen and Textures. This year they're bringing down Sikth and The Algorithm.

Anyway, I know that the scene there has been growing and the people there are quite passionate about the music, and like any upcoming metal scene you will definitely find some gems.
Hopefully I can travel there at some point with my band
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.08.2014 - 17:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
@Spirit - Go to Brutal Pokhra Metal Fest and book the slot for upcoming tour. They have this provision where they invite subcontinent bands to rock their socks off. As you know, Pokhra is hub for Nepal metal fests so it'll be easier if you search gigs in POKHRA.
01.09.2014 - 18:42
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Isn't your cousins sister also your cousin??
01.09.2014 - 18:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 01.09.2014 at 18:42

Yep...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.09.2014 - 22:59
Ruchesko

Written by deadone on 29.08.2014 at 09:37

All I knew about Nepal was the royal family promoted luddite values and there were Marxist rebels running around up to the mid-2000s.

Lets not forget the late Crown Prince who went postal and shot most of his family, which the then-prime minister tried to convince the public was actually an accident caused by an "exploding weapon".

Also, damned good article.
03.09.2014 - 20:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 01.09.2014 at 18:42

Yup. I found lot of cousins(3 brother and 2 sisters) there.
06.09.2014 - 07:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 29.08.2014 at 09:37

Interesting article - all I knew about Nepal was the royal family promoted luddite values and thre was Marxist rebels running up around to the mid-2000's.

You didn't hear about Naxalites? They created furore for what about 10+ years and it was hard to live out in Nepal. Actually, Katmandu(capital city) and Pokhra was on peace but the main city(Nepalganj) occupied by Naxalites. They did have issues in hand that didn't resolve for several years and thus led their demand shot up in preceding years. But, situations are lot better now.
08.09.2014 - 00:08
FOOCK Nam

Yeah spread more metal in Nepal.. I hope metal makes more fun for life in Nepal, where Maoist and Buddhist can meditate with. But hey metal seems to fit more for Nepal than nam.. Nam seems doesn't care for philosophic and seriousness of metal..China seems vast but more underground like case of nam,..
08.09.2014 - 04:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 08.09.2014 at 02:18

Nepal doesn't rate much of a mention in Australia (just like 95% of the rest of the world). Most Australians have probably never heard of Nepal at worst or couldn't find it on a map at best.

And I personally don't really have an interest in that part of the world.

As you(along with 95% of the rest of the world) doesn't care about the Nepal's intricacies, at least this article might give some "acquaintance" with Nepal Metal scene. I hope you'll develop a cordial relation with land of Himalayas..
08.09.2014 - 19:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
The only thing that catches my attention in Nepal is the format of the flag
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.09.2014 - 00:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
[band]Fleshgod Apocalypse[/bad] must be fixed

Good article, just tryd bands sound awesome , is there any band who si singing in local lang (what they talk there) ...hard and underground scene, but seems location is why its so local and unknown, musically awesome
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.09.2014 - 19:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 09.09.2014 at 00:40

[band]Fleshgod Apocalypse[/bad] must be fixed

Yeah. My bad.

Quote:
Good article, just tryd bands sound awesome , is there any band who si singing in local lang (what tYou'llk there) ...hard and underground scene, but seems location is why its so local and unknown, musically awesome

You'll get to find loads of Rock and pop bands who sings in local language in Katmandu but then again they're not hit at all. Well, let me go through my folder and see if i get any metal band who sings in local language(chances are very dim).

Written by Karlabos on 08.09.2014 at 19:47

The only thing that catches my attention in Nepal is the format of the flag

You make me sad.
22.10.2014 - 19:44
LamaSabachthani

I am from Nepal. You should check out Jugaa. they play metallic hardcore and are on indefinite hiatus recently. Also we have Binaash, Sangharsha.
22.10.2014 - 20:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by LamaSabachthani on 22.10.2014 at 19:44

I am from Nepal. You should check out Jugaa. they play metallic hardcore and are on indefinite hiatus recently. Also we have Binaash, Sangharsha.

Oh, I listen to Sangharsha and did find them interesting. But, the ones I mentioned is far superior than the bunch of bands who are still developing. I've gotta long list of nepal metal bands covered in my research and ultimately few of them got onto my article. Never heard of Jugaa, will listen to it.
21.07.2016 - 20:40
Mold of Tree
Account deleted
Nepal? I saw a documentary that they don't have usually electricity, so how the hell the guitar will sound without electricity?
21.07.2016 - 20:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 21.07.2016 at 20:40

Nepal? I saw a documentary that they don't have usually electricity, so how the hell the guitar will sound without electricity?

You saying as if there ever no electricity exists in Nepal.

Well, as far as scarcity of power is concerned, it has improved a lot.
23.07.2016 - 17:24
Green Imp
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.07.2016 at 20:52

You saying as if there ever no electricity exist in Nepal, Mr doofus.

Uh, I agree with Mold Of Tree. Well, I saw a documentary at Travel Channel that 3 or 4 hours, I don't remember, that there's something like 'electricity breaktime'. For example, you have electricity since 4pm and then breaktime, which mean no hot water to take your shower, no tv, pc, or whatever, until 7 or 8pm which the News starting on the national TV channels. I was with my mother in Nepal in 2011. My mother is a travel guide. We were in Kathmandu and Birgunj and we haven't electricity in hour hotel and the whole entire country for 4 and a half hours. Then we have electricity and hot water in 9pm I guess, I took a shower and then sleeping, the end. :p
23.07.2016 - 19:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 23.07.2016 at 17:24

We were in Kathmandu and Birgunj and we haven't electricity in hour hotel and the whole entire country for 4 and a half hours.

Everything was fine until earthquake rocked Nepal last year and it worsen the economic conditions. Stil, they manage to give a decent hours of electricity to citizens and installed more solar power systems to give more access to power in rural areas as well.

Obviously, country is developing and with that they're trying real hard to get in the best situation.
10.08.2016 - 09:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 23.07.2016 at 17:24

I was with my mother in Nepal in 2011. My mother is a travel guide. We were in Kathmandu and Birgunj and we haven't electricity in hour hotel and the whole entire country for 4 and a half hours.

Well, your stay was short and you clearly didn't get the issues prevailed at the time when Nepal not struggled only with economic stability but with havoc of maoist as well.

Same shit political system but govt changed, ministers' working process developed, implementation of five year plan executed and it really helped in overcoming of shortcomings of necessities Nepal was struggling to have it.

Things have improved a lot now( got worse again in between when Earthquake smashes Nepal into pieces), they revived with support of international countries and have clearly back on track again. Still a room of improvements have to be done but i don't think it is important as of now.
10.08.2016 - 19:58
Green Imp
Account deleted
Alright, I'm sorry, my apologies, I'm a slut, I deserve to suffer...deal?
17.05.2021 - 10:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Dying Out Flame is fantastic. Crazy to think that this was written before Chepang made it big.

Would be cool if you could update this a bit with fixing the Fleshgod band tag, dead links, not properly cropped images, and so on.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
17.05.2021 - 15:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by RaduP on 17.05.2021 at 10:24

Would be cool if you could update this a bit with fixing the Fleshgod band tag, dead links, not properly cropped images, and so on.

I agree.

Fuck my schedule, mate. I'll definitely get back to this and fix my mess. Thanks.

Hits total: 8448 | This month: 18