Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Sign With Roadrunner Records

Roadrunner Records is proud to announce the signing of progressive metal pioneers Dream Theater.
A new studio album, Systematic Chaos is due in June. Dream Theater will hit the road in support of the album for a world tour, including major festival appearances in Europe.

"Dream Theater and Roadrunner Records have led parallel careers on the cutting edge of metal for many years," say A&R men, Derek Oliver & Dante Bonutto, "We're thrilled to be working with a genuine market-leader, and when you add everything the guys bring to the table to the independent spirit and work ethic of the label, the results can only be exciting in the extreme!"

Prior to teaming up with Roadrunner, Dream Theater was signed to a seven-album deal with Warner Music Group worldwide. The deal commenced with the critically acclaimed and commercially successful Images And Words (1992), a Gold-certified US release, and concluded, in equal style, with Octavarium (2005), a Top 40 Billboard outing. In August of last year the band issued Score, a live album/DVD (recorded at Radio City Music Hall in New York), which went straight to the No. 1 spot on the Billboard DVD charts, knocking Pink Floyd from the top!

Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater's ninth studio release, arrives at a time when the band is casting a longer-than-ever shadow across the rock and metal landscape. Their influence is being acknowledged by an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Opeth as their fan base continues to grow.

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 09.02.2007 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 40   Visited by: 1 user
09.02.2007 - 01:36
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Whatever gets the album in my nearby store's shelf.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
09.02.2007 - 04:11
Syk
myspace/bonerama
"Their influence is being acknowledged by an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall"

Say what now?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.02.2007 - 04:43
Lanfawn
Account deleted
With contemporary, cutting-edge acts they surely mean "commercially successful somewhat-metal bands off the top of our heads".
09.02.2007 - 04:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
haha - its a roadrunner quote. what do you expect..
09.02.2007 - 09:16
MUSIC?
Account deleted
Surprise!
09.02.2007 - 09:44
Revenant
Account deleted
Fair enough, I don't expect they'll turn metalcore antime soon, Opeth didn't.
09.02.2007 - 10:20
Carrion
Account deleted
Stone Sour influenced by DT? Hmm.. Well I haven't noticed that in their music. Anyways, not so surprising move.
09.02.2007 - 11:39
NemeniX
Account deleted
Yeah, that's not really surprising.
I don't appreciate Roadrunner a lot, but I don't think it will change what DT is currently doing.

BTW, I love the album's name.:)
09.02.2007 - 12:44
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
heh, it does surprise me, roadrunner records doesnt really promote this style of music usually...

oh well, i never really liked Dream Theater, but i'm curious about their next album
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
09.02.2007 - 13:23
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Roadrunner ruins the metal world.
09.02.2007 - 13:45
gid
I could see it happening. First Opeth, then Porcupine Tree, and now Dream Theater. It seems Roadrunner are interested in prog metal nowadays.
09.02.2007 - 15:16
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Yeah it really seems, gid. I Hope they don't change their style, Opeth didn't, Cradle Of Filth a bit...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
09.02.2007 - 15:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I agree with cradka, though I do appreciate their Two from the Vault series. I wish there were more releases like that
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.02.2007 - 16:27
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Hmm. Sounds interesting...as long as the music is good I don't care what company is behind
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.02.2007 - 16:40
gid
I dunno. I don't think Dream Theater is really going to change what they're doing, but I've seen bad things regarding Roadrunner's business practices and how they screw their bands over. It may seem like a good deal now, but I just wonder how they'll treat Opeth and the rest once the craze for prog metal passes and it goes back to something else.
09.02.2007 - 18:13
Locke
Account deleted
Didn't Warner just recently buy Roadrunner for $73.5 mill? I'm not crazy about this. Maybe after a decade of selling primarily lame nu metal/metalcore acts RR decided to build up their tru metal cred by signing decent bands like Opeth, Dragonforce, Nightwish, CoF, DT, etc?
09.02.2007 - 18:51
kaos666
Goodbye Dream Theater, at least I know you were once good.:wave:
09.02.2007 - 22:25
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Guys, just remember, in 1996/97 the record label tried to screw Dream Theater over by forcing them to make a "hit" album with Falling Into Infinity. So Mike Portnoy turned around and said to the label "You guys stay the fuck out of our music!" After that happened Dream Theater released Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory.

Need I say more?
----
(space for rent)
10.02.2007 - 01:26
Baz Anderson
Staff
exactly..
dont be so fast to suspect the next album will be so bad just because of the record label
i trust them enough to think the next album will be the music they want to make - and not be influenced by roadrunner

we'll just have to wait and see what its like
10.02.2007 - 01:39
Mega-Slayer
Roadrunner is known for having many great bands,and for treating their bands poorely.I am not expecting them to make poor material,I just hope they aren't manipulated by their label.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
10.02.2007 - 02:56
tulkas
el parcero
I agree with Baz Anderson, although roadrunner isn't the best thing around, I wouldn't start being negative. I'll just wait to listen to it, and then I can say what I think.

I don't really belive a band such as DT are going to change because the label syas they should. If they said that to them, I don't think they would've signed in the first place
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.02.2007 - 04:22
Asitis
Lol. The end of Dream Theatre.
Not that I liked the band anyway, but hell.
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
10.02.2007 - 13:21
Muskot
Account deleted
"an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Opeth as their fan base" et c

What has Trivium got to do with progressive music at all?
10.02.2007 - 14:23
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Yet another great band to fall, it seems.

I highly doubt they'll ever return to their former days after this, Roadrunner always transform bands in a negative way, it's a well-known fact. Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Mind you, these are two entirely different bands I'm talking about here.

Another example would be Megadeth and their decision to switch to Roadrunner, not surprising, I mean, Mustaine's already a reborn christian, hell, why not destroy their sound even more now, too?

Roadrunner should have never existed.
10.02.2007 - 20:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I can't wait to get it, personally.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.02.2007 - 05:45
Daru Jericho
The good thing about this is that it could mean an Opeth/Porcupine Tree/Dream Theater tour. In my wildest dreams...

Everyone ignore the quotation about the other bands being influenced by DT. It doesn't mean anything, really.

Still, Warner, DT's old label, owns RR anyhow (or at least most of it) so it seems logical for DT to sign up. I doubt DT are going to musically change their style seeing as they're old enough to know better and I think they've found their niche. Seems Roadrunner are just trying to attract more metal names again to their label while bands like Trivium and Nickelback rake in the cash for them.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

11.02.2007 - 08:21
Written by GT on 09.02.2007 at 16:27

Hmm. Sounds interesting...as long as the music is good I don't care what company is behind

Exactly
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
11.02.2007 - 08:27
Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Are you serious, that's one of my favourite opeth albums, up there will Blackwater Park. I mean its not like they sold out or anything switching to roadrunner, Ghost is a fuck load heavier then the likes of damnation.
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
11.02.2007 - 08:36
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by chris_metalhead on 11.02.2007 at 08:27

Written by Guest on 10.02.2007 at 14:23

Just look at how bad Opeth became. Ghost Reveries was horrible.

Are you serious, that's one of my favourite opeth albums, up there will Blackwater Park. I mean its not like they sold out or anything switching to roadrunner, Ghost is a fuck load heavier then the likes of damnation.

Yes, I'm quite serious about that, I enjoyed Damnation and Deliverance much more.
11.02.2007 - 14:58
Muskot
Account deleted
Most records are heavier than Damnation...

Though BWP remains unbeaten. =)

Hits total: 3309 | This month: 14