Metal Storm logo
Macabre

10.02.2007 - 06:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
American death metal band Macabre have been going a long time now. Their first EP was released in 1987 and they were one of the first bands to go along with the themes of killers and killings in their lyrics.

Even though they have been going for so long now - they have only released four full length albums; 'Gloom' 'Sinister Slaughter' 'Dahmer' and 'Murder Metal'
They have also recently released the DVD 'Live In Holland - True Tales Of Slaughter And Slaying'

Macabre consist of only three members and the same three members from the very start.
They seem rather obsessed with serial killers and murders in general. 'Dahmer' is a full album about the rather interesting life of Jeffrey Dahmer ('Corporate Death' actually went to the trial of Jeffrey Dahmer and took notes), and each song on the last album is themed on different murderers.
When performing live, 'Corporate Death' will tell the audience the story of the person the song they are about to do it themed upon.

I dont know about you, but I dont think Macabre get the credit they deserve. They may have a huge fan-club, but there never seems to be much interest on here anyway.
Their music is very technical and complex while being very fast and amusing at the same time.

They really are one of my all time favorite death metal (grindcore if you like) bands and I recommend to all extreme metal fans that dont know them and like to laugh with some good extreme music.

For me my favorite album is probably 'Dahmer' but that is just because it was the first I heard. All of their albums are of such a high quality (maybe why there are only four of them)
All opinions are welcome.. favorite album, etc.
11.02.2007 - 08:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
haha...I was just thinking that there should be a Macabre thread and what do ya know...one just got created

I really enjoy this band. Dahmer is such an underrated album. Their lyrics are hilarious and the music is creative and original. They actually are very technical at times, but they're able to also be very catchy. I think that Dahmer is by far their best album. It just never gets old.
11.02.2007 - 11:59
Basso
Account deleted
I only own the album Murder Metal from them but its awesome. So catchy and fun. The lyrics are too good to be true XD.

I have heard Dahmer once or twice also and its also an incredible album. To bad I grow tired of listening to the rather quickly.

Still a great band though!
11.02.2007 - 17:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
you guys have to get the DVD 'Live In Holland - True Tales Of Slaughter And Slaying'
it says on the back of it "a must see and must have for all Macabre fans"
mine came in a special tin box version as well - but the DVD is so awsome - getting to see these guys stand there and introduce and perform these songs

i found one video from it on the internet that you can look at - it is here:

http://www.hottest-host.com/metalvideos/bands/macabre/youre_dying_to_be_with_me_live.asx

(you just have to wait past the first little advertisment bit)
this is actually from the same show as the Macabre DVD - but for some reasson that track isnt included on the DVD or its bonus tracks.. (which is a bit annoying)
09.01.2008 - 13:29
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
I like everything done by this band except for murder metal, i don't understand all the hype about that album, imho, it's crap, like, really boring crap. Grim Reality was awesome, a little grinding fun ep, and gloom and sinister slaughter were just freakin' amazing, probably one of the catchiest bands around. I hope to see these guys live once, discovered them way too late!
16.11.2009 - 19:15
Hugoj33
Great band
18.11.2009 - 21:39
Zombie, M.D.
I've been attending their christmas show for the past 3 years. Best live band ever and they're really cool down to earth guys, going out and talking to people in the crowd before and after sets and such.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
15.07.2010 - 19:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Ive just added Macabre's new EP "Human Monsters" to their page here on MS. xD

Has anyone been able to hear this yet, because I havent.
15.07.2010 - 20:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.07.2010 at 19:41

Ive just added Macabre's new EP "Human Monsters" to their page here on MS. xD

Has anyone been able to hear this yet, because I havent.

New EP? Cool, better check it out.

Anyway, Macabre are great. I love Dahmer and Murder Metal.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.07.2010 - 20:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
''Dahmer'' was the first Macabre album that I heard. The thing that really caught me off guard (apart from the outrageous lyrics of course!) with it was how diverse the band were musically. Grind, death metal, punk, outlandish versions of popular tunes...I was just completely taken with how an album with so many songs, especially an extreme metal one, could have such a wide range of different sounding styles and songs. The lyrics are shocking, but that is part of the band's ''charm'' if you want to call it that.

Ive heard quite a few Macabre fans saying they dont like ''Murder Metal'', and I really cant understand why. Its pretty much the same stuff that they've always played, and the songs are still grim, intesne, and at times very tuneful and catchy. I really like the last album a lot. I also love the version of "The Cat Came Back" that they did on their Morbid Campfire Tales album. xD

The band are also outrageously talented. Dennis The Menace is one of the best drummers Ive ever heard, he's amazing! And Neferious is an awesome bass player. I hope the bass is louder on the new stuff, cos he is a great bassist.
15.07.2010 - 20:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.07.2010 at 20:37

''Dahmer'' was the first Macabre album that I heard. The thing that really caught me off guard (apart from the outrageous lyrics of course!) with it was how diverse the band were musically. Grind, death metal, punk, outlandish versions of popular tunes...I was just completely taken with how an album with so many songs, especially an extreme metal one, could have such a wide range of different sounding styles and songs. The lyrics are shocking, but that is part of the band's ''charm'' if you want to call it that.

Ive heard quite a few Macabre fans saying they dont like ''Murder Metal'', and I really cant understand why. Its pretty much the same stuff that they've always played, and the songs are still grim, intesne, and at times very tuneful and catchy. I really like the last album a lot. I also love the version of "The Cat Came Back" that they did on their Morbid Campfire Tales album. xD

The band are also outrageously talented. Dennis The Menace is one of the best drummers Ive ever heard, he's amazing! And Neferious is an awesome bass player. I hope the bass is louder on the new stuff, cos he is a great bassist.

Outrageous lyrics? Not much worse than your average splatter metal/grind band.
----
15.07.2010 - 20:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 20:45

Well, thats true, they arent. lol

But what makes Macabre's lyrics so shocking, is they are based on real serial killers and murders. Add on top of this the dark humour, and they are a bit unsettling. The fact that a lot of the songs musically are very fun and catchy adds to this feeling. I think this is also why I like them so much. They make you think, as well as making extremely fun and at times, brutal music. They are truly a one of a kind band, Ive never heard any other band that sounds quite like them. xD
15.07.2010 - 21:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.07.2010 at 20:52

Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 20:45

Well, thats true, they arent. lol

But what makes Macabre's lyrics so shocking, is they are based on real serial killers and murders. Add on top of this the dark humour, and they are a bit unsettling. The fact that a lot of the songs musically are very fun and catchy adds to this feeling. I think this is also why I like them so much. They make you think, as well as making extremely fun and at times, brutal music. They are truly a one of a kind band, Ive never heard any other band that sounds quite like them. xD

Yeah, I guess you're right. Even though I knew most of the stories before I discovered Macabre.
----
16.07.2010 - 01:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 21:10
Yeah, I guess you're right. Even though I knew most of the stories before I discovered Macabre.

Well, my mind was quite innocent before it was corrupted... lol

I had heard of Jeffrey Dahmer before, mainly because of Slayer's song "213". But I didnt know any real details about him or his murders. After listening to "Dahmer", I read the wiki page on him, and was really horrified. The song ''Konerak'' in particular, became very chilling for me once I learned the story behind it. The great thing about the album is, how accurate it all is, and the fact the songs are all in chronological order of his life. I didnt know anything about real serial killers in detail until I started listening to Macabre. Listening to them is like getting a morbid history lesson, it just happens to be accompanied by awesome music. xD
16.07.2010 - 10:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.07.2010 at 01:39

Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 21:10

Well, my mind was quite innocent before it was corrupted... lol

I had heard of Jeffrey Dahmer before, mainly because of Slayer's song "213". But I didnt know any real details about him or his murders. After listening to "Dahmer", I read the wiki page on him, and was really horrified. The song ''Konerak'' in particular, became very chilling for me once I learned the story behind it. The great thing about the album is, how accurate it all is, and the fact the songs are all in chronological order of his life. I didnt know anything about real serial killers in detail until I started listening to Macabre. Listening to them is like getting a morbid history lesson, it just happens to be accompanied by awesome music. xD

What about Albert Fish (Mr. Fish, Were Children Your Favorite Dish)?
----
16.07.2010 - 12:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 10:42
What about Albert Fish (Mr. Fish, Were Children Your Favorite Dish)?

If you're asking if I know about him, then yes I do. Before I started listening to Macabre, Id never even heard of him though. lol