Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2014 - Now Open

5... 4... Get your pencils... 2... 1... Vote!

WTF? Awards are already finished... Or did they just start again?

Yes, we're the 1st of February now, and y'all know what that means: Metal Storm Awards time! You've got all month to check out all the nominees in Satam-knows-how-many-categories we have this year, including two brand news ones: Ambient/Drone, and Extreme Prog!

So, as always, take your time, check out all the nominees, and enjoy!

Oh, and do vote too right here

As always, feel free to rant and tell us how awesome our picks are/how much we blow goats because we don't like your favorite band below!

Team MS.

\m/

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2015 by D.T. Metal

Comments page 9 / 12

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 351   [ 8 ignored ]   Visited by: 1027 users
05.02.2015 - 20:45
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2015 at 19:37
If I were to ask for it to be changed I would have it as only Mods can see them, to keep from sacrificing the anonymity too much.

I think that would be the best way to stop the moronic write-ins.
----
The Fangirl.
06.02.2015 - 02:07
blackmamba
Written by Doc G. on 05.02.2015 at 06:07

Written by blackmamba on 05.02.2015 at 05:14

No Septicflesh, no Bloodbath and no Behemoth. This website's a fucking joke. On top your categories are messed up.

I'll ignore the fact that everything is obviously subjective here, and that you could easily utilize our write-in feature, and jump to the fact that you're complaining about the absence of all the larger known bands. There's roughly 30+ staff on this site, several of which are approached by record labels both large and small, distros, and bands themselves to review certain releases, or create news pieces (or if not approached, at least heavily invested in keeping track of new and upcoming releases). At the risk of tooting our collective horn, chances are we come across more new music than you do each year. And at the risk of sounding (once again) presumptuous, I highly doubt you've actually listened to a large chunk of the bands we've nominated.

Apologies if we decided to use a little creativity in our nomination process, instead of just listing the most popular names we could think of. Seeing as that is your thing, I think these awards are probably more up your alley.

Also, may I ask what the issue is with our categories?

EDIT: Apologies if your post was indeed meant as a joke that just went over my head.

lol creativity? rejecting albums just because the artist is more popular doesn't mean you're being creative, it just means you think you are too cool to agree with most metal sites and most metal fans. About the bands you nominated, believe me I know those bands, I've listened to their albums and a lot of them are pretty good, I voted for a lot of them. Assuming I don't know those albums definitely make you sound presumptuous, at least you're aware of it.

About the categories forget it, I don't feel like arguing there are too many groupies here.

Cheers
06.02.2015 - 02:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I came here to see the responses to blackmamba's post but there was only a polite one
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.02.2015 - 02:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 06.02.2015 at 02:37

I came here to see the responses to blackmamba's post but there was only a polite one

Sad for not taking your popcorn this time?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
06.02.2015 - 02:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
All the newbs assume we ignore the big names cuz they're big names. They never stop to think that maybe we didn't ignore, we just simply thought there were at least 10 bands that released better albums than the big names.

Really it just boils down to narrow-minded butthurt.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.02.2015 - 03:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 06.02.2015 at 02:53

Apparently, it's not too late:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.02.2015 - 03:26
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 03:21

Written by Karlabos on 06.02.2015 at 03:15

Written by Maco on 06.02.2015 at 02:53

Apparently, it's not too late:

Your cholestrol must be through the roof with all that popcorn you consume!

You are gonna give him a heart attack if you keep discussing D:
----
06.02.2015 - 03:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I doubt the staff want people to know the inner processes of how the nominees end up being selected but I can tell you there's no arbitrary omissions of bands based on popularity, nor conscious group decisions to do so either. If a band doesn't make it it's because not enough of them liked it.
06.02.2015 - 04:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If you must know all the staff get together in a big field full of giant dolls representing the members of the bands who released albums that year. The staff then proceed to get Marcel drunk off his tits and they then send him out into the field. The first 10 dolls he tries to sleep with are then selected as the nominees for their genre. It's a time honored tradition passed down through the ages.
06.02.2015 - 04:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Behemoth was in a cat with dozens of extremely strong albums that year. Hatriot and Goatwhore etc. was not. Goatwhore are definitely more thrash than black too (twice as sure after seeing them live). Ghoul is more difficult to place, but excellent record none the less. Glad to see it included.
06.02.2015 - 06:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 04:34

bleh bleh bleh

Well, I had this big thing wrote up countering you about how we're insulted and spitting their ignorant disrespect back at them, even included a list of all the big names in their respective categories to show that plenty of big names made it in despite being accused of purposefully excluding them for the sake of excluding them, but my internet crashed when I hit submit and I lost it all.
----

06.02.2015 - 09:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Does Omit go in doom or symphonic? Kinda surprised no one's written them in yet.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.02.2015 - 09:28
Ivor
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 06.02.2015 at 09:20

Does Omit go in doom or symphonic? Kinda surprised no one's written them in yet.

Doom. I'm actually rather surprised people want to call it symphonic.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
06.02.2015 - 10:15
EricAxel36
Biggest Letdown.. Is it always this hard?

Insomnium, Belphegor, Decapitated, and a couple more really disappointed me this year. And LOL@In Flames write-in... Was someone expecting them to release Jester Race 2.0
06.02.2015 - 10:25
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 03:08
you essentially called voters moronic in previous posts.

My fucking goodness, he was referring to those write-in votes that has nothing to do with the category, take a look at them.
----
The Fangirl.
06.02.2015 - 11:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 06.02.2015 at 06:48

Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 04:34

bleh bleh bleh

Well, I had this big thing wrote up countering you about how we're insulted and spitting their ignorant disrespect back at them, even included a list of all the big names in their respective categories to show that plenty of big names made it in despite being accused of purposefully excluding them for the sake of excluding them, but my internet crashed when I hit submit and I lost it all.

If you would've been using Chrome, i think clicking "<-" button might get all the data in black box.

It happens with me a lot and i go to previous page to recover all my erased text.

Also, one of the thing to get pissed off.
06.02.2015 - 13:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 06.02.2015 at 10:25

Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 03:08
you essentially called voters moronic in previous posts.

My fucking goodness, he was referring to those write-in votes that has nothing to do with the category, take a look at them.

I've seen at least 2 that aren't even from 2014, as well as a several nominated in other catagories and a couple in the same category they were nominated in.
----
06.02.2015 - 13:56
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
What about votes like 'Arch Enemy - War Eterna' in Biggest Letdown category? Are they going to be removed or corrected by Staff? Also there are for example 2 different versions of new Agalloch album.
06.02.2015 - 14:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.02.2015 at 13:56

What about votes like 'Arch Enemy - War Eterna' in Biggest Letdown category? Are they going to be removed or corrected by Staff? Also there are for example 2 different versions of new Agalloch album.

all the problems with the write-ins will be addressed before the end of the awards.

erroneously entered album titles will be merged with proper. all bs write-ins (i.e. wrong genre or wrong year) will just be nuked.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.02.2015 - 16:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 06.02.2015 at 11:06

If you would've been using Chrome, i think clicking "<-" button might get all the data in black box.

It happens with me a lot and i go to previous page to recover all my erased text.

That's interesting. I never tried that
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.02.2015 - 18:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

I do use Chrome, on my laptop and my phone, and that usually works, but for some reason it didn't this time.
----

06.02.2015 - 18:35
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I guess there wasn't a lot of quality metalgaze releases this year since you nominated Alcest.
----
06.02.2015 - 20:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by blackmamba on 06.02.2015 at 02:07

lol creativity? rejecting albums just because the artist is more popular doesn't mean you're being creative, it just means you think you are too cool to agree with most metal sites and most metal fans. About the bands you nominated, believe me I know those bands, I've listened to their albums and a lot of them are pretty good, I voted for a lot of them. Assuming I don't know those albums definitely make you sound presumptuous, at least you're aware of it.

About the categories forget it, I don't feel like arguing there are too many groupies here.

Cheers

The first line sort of tells me either your reading comprehension skills are staggeringly low or, more likely, you're just running on straw man arguments.

I can't really answer for every other publication, but I know many (like that piece of trash Metal Hammer) are in it for advertising money. Unfortunately, underground bands don't pull in the massive crowds required to appeal to big companies looking for ad space. Metal storm does make a bit of ad money, but that's never been the goal. Hence why we're run on volunteers. Not paid employees. Youll also notice, that we've nominated both underground and bigger named bands. Hell, megadeth was nominated and won a few years back. Which makes your opening statement a bit baffling for anyone else reading it.

The beauty of this site is that a huge band, like let's say Iron Maiden, and a band of 17 year olds who cut an album in their garage both get treated the same. If they do something great, you'll see the staff give it a lot of exposure. If its shit, we'll say so.

Also - if you're too lazy to argue your case for our categories being messed up, I recommend in the future you don't open up with such an aggressively juvenile way as you did.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.02.2015 - 21:22
beba1
Adimiron in the alternative category?! Watching this vid they seem much more prog! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9wrv5oVT4
07.02.2015 - 04:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by deadone on 06.02.2015 at 23:01

without referring to readers as mronic or being close minded and "butthurt."

Don't see anything wrong with calling a donkey a donkey.
----

07.02.2015 - 05:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

Also there are for example 2 different versions of new Agalloch album.

But copying and pasting the already written in one is just SOOOO hard. It's much easier to type out the whole thing and guess the spelling (and maybe change a word or two).
----
07.02.2015 - 07:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 06.02.2015 at 18:31

I do use Chrome, on my laptop and my phone, and that usually works, but for some reason it didn't this time.

Bad luck.

Also, there's an option of "Auto-fill in" where you get helped filing any sort of online application(fill a form and save the data). That also does help to revive text once it lost. But, again not cent percent you'll get the data all the time.

Anyway, Database manager have fun in voting.
07.02.2015 - 07:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Already addressed by Craig.

But, I don't see any error seeing regarding like Arch Enemy's War Eternal. It has spelled correctly.
07.02.2015 - 08:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

Albums in Biggest Letdown likely won't be touched because those are purely write in categories and genre has no bearing on what someone can put in there. However the genre cats will be cleaned up.
----

07.02.2015 - 08:33
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Where do Darkspace and Mare Cognitum go? Meloblack, or does Darkspace go in ambient? And I assume Primordial goes in folk as usual?
----

Hits total: 10892 | This month: 2