Metal Storm logo
Punk Is Dead, But Not Forgotten

Okay, so it's not "dead" per say. But much like many genres of metal, it'll never be the same. My point is, this list will not feature Blink 182. I am by no means an expert in the genre, but this is a list of required listening entry-level punk that even the heaviest of metal fans should find something to enjoy. Links are in the first comments box. Most go to full albums, but some to single songs.

Created by: flightoficarus | 12.02.2015

1. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
1980: This album is like a punk rock Jesus sent to turn water into punk. Punk. PUNK! Some of the most eviscerating social commentary out there.
2. Bad Religion - Against the Grain
1990: Fast, hard, political. One of my favorite albums of all time.
3. Bad Religion - No Control
1989: See above. They could be part I and part 2.
4. Ramones - Ramones
1976: It's a timeless classic. Without this album, I have no idea what "punk" would sound like.
5. Bad Religion - The Process of Belief
2002: Huge comeback after what was probably their worst album. Of their post-90's stuff, this is where it's at. Supersonic, Kyoto Now, Evangeline. All amazing.
6. Ramones - Rocket to Russia
1977: Cretin Bop. Hilarious, biting, fun.
7. Black Flag - Damaged
1981: Henry Rollins is a hero of mine for many reasons, but this is where it all begins. Inconsistent, but entertaining.
8. AFI - Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes
1997: Before they turned into a bunch of fashion-rock pussies, AFI put out 3-4 solid albums of grit-your-teeth, balls-to-the-wall punk. This is my personal favorite and their debut.
9. Green Day - Dookie
1994: Similar to above. Now writing ballads for the radio and wearing eye-liner, Green Day used to kill it. One of the last great punk albums.
10. The Offspring - Smash
1994: Bad Habit. 'nuff said. But honestly every track on here is solid. This is in my regular rotation at all times.
11. Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit
1998: Another group that has gone pretty south, they still have a wealth of good punk songs in their earlier career. Grim social commentary broken up by the occasional funny moments such as "Cop."
12. Descendents - Milo Goes to College
1982: Hilarious. If you don't laugh, you're dead inside.
13. NOFX - Punk in Drublic
1994: Fat Mike's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, but it is punk rock to the core. This is their best album imo. Of the later stuff, I also recommend "The War on Errorism."
14. Rancid - Rancid
1993: Listen to those monster bass lines. I drool over them every time.
15. MXPX - Life in General
1996: In some ways, MXPX is to blame for the slew of pop-punk that took over in the late 90's. But no one did it as well while still keeping the slider closer to the punk side of the spectrum.
16. Anti-Flag - Die for your Government
1996: The title track has one of the best sing-along moments ever. "Drink Drank Punk" is a great anthem as well. Great stuff.
17. Dropkick Murphys - Blackout
2003: I also love The Meanest of Times, and Warrior's Code, but this was a more breakout album. Great Boston vibe and Irish heritage.
18. Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta!
2006: Chicagoans to the core. This album is so fast it will leave you wondering where your wallet, and your pants, went.
19. Rancid - Let's Go!
1994: Rancid part II. A bit longer and not quite as consistent, but great cuts on here.
20. Rancid - ?And Out Come the Wolves
1995: I'll admit that I pretty much hate ska, but as far as making the jump, Rancid did it better than anyone else. The ska elements never manage to take over and make this sound like totally radio-friendly fare.
21. Toxic Narcotic - 89-99
1989-1999: This is most metal punk band I know. It's some gutter, kick you while you're down punk. Favorite tracks include "Asshole," "People Suck," and "Fuck You." You get the idea.
22. The Clash - London Calling
1979: I am also not a big fan of the Clash. The new wave influences on their sound (or the other way around depending on how you look at it) turns me off. However, this is my favorite album of theirs. The title track and "Clampdown" always make it into my punk playlists.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 35   Visited by: 99 users
12.02.2015 - 00:27
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
12.02.2015 - 00:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nice, though the lack of X-Ray Spex bothers me a tad:

I also don't really like The Clash that much so we have that in common. Some other bands to look into: Husker Du, Refused, Television, Fugazi, Bad Brains, Magazine and Misfits would also be nice here.
12.02.2015 - 00:46
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 12.02.2015 at 00:43

Nice, though the lack of X-Ray Spex bothers me a tad:

I also don't really like The Clash that much so we have that in common. Some other bands to look into: Husker Du, Refused, Television, Fugazi, Bad Brains, Magazine and Misfits would also be nice here.

Fugazi is great, but I don't really classify them as punk. Aware of Hüsker Du and Refuzed. Misfits is fun, but just not my speed. I'll check out some of this other stuff too. Somehow never heard of X-Ray Specs.
----
12.02.2015 - 00:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by flightoficarus on 12.02.2015 at 00:46

Fugazi is great, but I don't really classify them as punk. Aware of Hüsker Du and Refuzed. Misfits is fun, but just not my speed. I'll check out some of this other stuff too. Somehow never heard of X-Ray Specs.

For a laugh you could also look into Death; a proto-punk band before punk was even a thing (kinda), that were unearthed relatively recently.

12.02.2015 - 01:03
Ilham
Giant robot
Nice list, and selection!

Fugazi is hardcore punk/post-punk depending on the thing you're listening to, is that why you don't want to add them?

Also, I know you know all of these, but maybe you forgot some, don't like others - but I'll list them nonetheless, perhaps I'll push you try a couple: Doom, Discharge, Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, early The Police, early Beastie Boys (yup yup), Minor Threat?
12.02.2015 - 01:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yeah, nearly forgot this.

12.02.2015 - 01:37
Lit.
Account deleted
Another essential one you forgot:

12.02.2015 - 03:27
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Yeah, passed on Fugazi due to the many other influences in theor sound. Watched the doc on Death. Fascinating. Sex Pistols I should have included but I rarely listen to it so I forgot. Stooges are excellent, but again I wouldn't classify them as just punk. I tend to keep them with my other 60's rock. Couldn't get into Minor Threat, Buzzcocks, Bad Brains, etc. The list pretty much consists of my most listened-to punk albums.
----
12.02.2015 - 07:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
This list is interesting.

I'll keep an eye on this. Plus, suggestions will be cheery on a cake.
12.02.2015 - 08:11
no one
Account deleted
Not really a list of my favs, some though

Yeeah the germs! and this is adolescents best (and probably only) good album...and some other gems

And i suppose on the hardcore side like the last one there is bands like bad brains, gorilla biscuits, negative fx, 7 seconds, circle jerks, mens interest, sick of it all, jerrys kids and others.
12.02.2015 - 15:37
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Guest on 12.02.2015 at 08:11

Yeeah the germs! and this is adolescents best (and probably only) good album...and some other gems

And i suppose on the hardcore side like the last one there is bands like bad brains, gorilla biscuits, negative fx, 7 seconds, circle jerks, mens interest, sick of it all, jerrys kids and others.

Oh GG Allin, crazy mofo. He's to punk what Dead is to black metal.
----
12.02.2015 - 15:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Some really great stuff, some decent, and some that leave me scratching my head.

i get the short starter-list approach, done it a couple times (though try to limit to one album per band so you cast a wider net) ... a guess a decent launch point, i suppose.

Repo Man Soundtrack (should be youtube playlisted) is a great starter bit with Iggy Pop, some classic CA punk and some other tunes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.02.2015 - 19:37
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
----
13.02.2015 - 00:27
Sword_Chant
Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler

Though it's kinda up there with Blink 182 I guess
13.02.2015 - 04:40
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Sword_Chant on 13.02.2015 at 00:27

Yeah. I hate to be a snot, but I would barely call that punk. Not a fan of the band either.
----
13.02.2015 - 11:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My first concert and stage-dive were at a Nickel98, Ragamuffins and Circle Jerks concert in 1987. You will not get a pos from me until you rightfully place the Circle Jerks on this list.
----
rekt
13.02.2015 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by flightoficarus on 13.02.2015 at 04:40

Yeah. I hate to be a snot, but I would barely call that punk. Not a fan of the band either.

Same applies to Green Day for me, also Dookie. Barely punk.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.02.2015 - 15:12
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.02.2015 at 14:27

Written by flightoficarus on 13.02.2015 at 04:40

Same applies to Green Day for me, also Dookie. Barely punk.

Fair enough.
----
13.02.2015 - 15:20
Joe Zombie
Some great bands on this list. Personally, I prefer Offspring's first two albums over the rest, and I'm glad BR's 'Suffer' is absent here. A lot of people cite that album as their best but I strongly disagree.

On the topic of Fugazi and post-hardcore, I'd highly recommend Quicksand if you haven't heard them. Fucking awesome group. Also check out Anti Cimex for some kickass d-beat.

Written by Ilham on 12.02.2015 at 01:03

Nice list, and selection!

Fugazi is hardcore punk/post-punk depending on the thing you're listening to, is that why you don't want to add them?

Also, I know you know all of these, but maybe you forgot some, don't like others - but I'll list them nonetheless, perhaps I'll push you try a couple: Doom, Discharge, Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, early The Police, early Beastie Boys (yup yup), Minor Threat?

Props for mentioning Doom and Discharge! Good stuff.
13.02.2015 - 22:30
Erik M.
Written by flightoficarus on 12.02.2015 at 19:37

Neil Tyson is the man! Love that guy (and those memes/GIFs).
13.02.2015 - 22:45
no one
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 13.02.2015 at 22:30

Neil Tyson is the man! Love that guy (and those memes/GIFs).

yeah i love his punk band too
13.02.2015 - 23:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by flightoficarus on 12.02.2015 at 15:37

And a black metal band even played in tribute for him.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.02.2015 - 23:38
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by Karlabos on 13.02.2015 at 23:34

Written by flightoficarus on 12.02.2015 at 15:37

And a black metal band even played in tribute for him.

Truly fitting. We have come full circle.
----
14.02.2015 - 00:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Ohnoes, i got meme'd at.

more not for the lister, it's his list, but anyone vaguely interested:

Suicidal Tendencies - S/T first release.
Circle Jerks - Group Sex/Wild in the Streets (surprised by their omission given direct ties to Black Flag - Keith Morris - and Bad Religion - Greg Hetson.
Vandals - Peace Thru Vandalism
FEAR - The Record (their legendary SNL appearance). Belushi loved them. insisted they play.
GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats
Exploited - Let's Start A War

as well as reinforcing prior mentions

Minor Threat - Complete Discography (on one disk. hooray.)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

that was the base of the shit i listened to back in HS.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.02.2015 - 07:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good to see The Clash's London Calling mentioned in your list(at the bottom) and indeed a great album that was. But, you rigorously ignored The Clash's self-titled. "Cut The Crap" is least fun record.

Anyway, good list.
14.02.2015 - 08:50
no one
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 14.02.2015 at 00:21

Ohnoes, i got meme'd at.

more not for the lister, it's his list, but anyone vaguely interested:

Suicidal Tendencies - S/T first release.
Circle Jerks - Group Sex/Wild in the Streets (surprised by their omission given direct ties to Black Flag - Keith Morris - and Bad Religion - Greg Hetson.
Vandals - Peace Thru Vandalism
FEAR - The Record (their legendary SNL appearance). Belushi loved them. insisted they play.
GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats
Exploited - Let's Start A War

all good apart from i never really got into the vandals.

stiff little fingers, the damned, u.k subs, sham69 and the zero boys are some more good ones from around that era...kind of
14.02.2015 - 09:25
angel.
Evil Butterfly
If Sum41 and Greenday are punk then Avril Lavigne is also punk.
----
The Fangirl.
14.02.2015 - 16:39
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Written by angel. on 14.02.2015 at 09:25

If Sum41 and Greenday are punk then Avril Lavigne is also punk.

Green day was briefly punk. They haven't been close to it in many years though.
----
14.02.2015 - 19:39
Lit.
Account deleted
Honestly, BitterCOld's (and pretty much everyone else's) posts were more useful than this list.
14.02.2015 - 21:19
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 13.02.2015 at 22:45

yeah i love his punk band too

Yeah, well, I don't really have anything to add to the list since I never cared for punk. Then again, I listened to stuff such as Sum 41 (my first concert ever was here in 013, in 2001 I think it was), Blink 182 etc. when I was in high school, but according to some people here that isn't punk. I always thought it was, though.

Hits total: 1810 | This month: 15