Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Voting Closed

Last year we celebrated the 10th edition of the Metal Storm Awards, and earlier this year we observed the Awards' 10th anniversary with its own special competition. Now, finally, the 2014 Awards have come to a close. Countless bands and users alike have come and gone in those years, but the spirit of the Awards has remained the same; as we like to say, it's not about who wins and loses, but about discovering new bands. While this year's Awards had a smaller voter turnout than the previous couple, 2014 still had its fair share of friendly competition.

It was a good year for overturning the dynastic dominance of the Big Band Beat-Downs. Bands like Behemoth, Arch Enemy, and Opeth failed to secure not only nominations, but significant numbers of write-in votes. This was also the first year in Metal Storm Awards history without a release from Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquillity, or Be'lakor, meaning that for once the Melodeath category was open to some fresh, healthy, and legitimate competition. In other words, Insomnium swept it by an absurd margin.

Of course, no edition of the Awards is ever safe; for example, Agalloch dominated Meloblack with upwards of six (!) times more votes than the runner-up. You'll see plenty of other familiar faces as well. We also had the usual spate of poor, misguided sods - from whichever band of vagrants nominated Arch Enemy in half a dozen categories, to the gentleman who wrote in Metallica for Best Cover with their own song.

The Biggest Letdown debate turned very few heads, as is usually the case. Some would argue that "Biggest Letdown" implies at least some expectation of reasonable quality, but In Flames "won" anyway for the third time (a new record!). Somebody (we suspect Marcel) wrote in for Best Debut, "None - All new bands suck and have sucked since 1989." By an astonishing coincidence, nearly every winner this year formed after 1989, with only four exceptions. Biggest Surprise, surprisingly, went to an actual surprise (worthy in itself of Biggest Surprise in next year's Awards, perhaps). Though Behemoth's thoroughly predictable new album came in second, first place ultimately went to the wholly inexplicable Babymetal, who are, if nothing else, unexpected (you know, like a surprise).

And it just wouldn't be the Metal Storm Awards without Wintersun getting slapped with their perennial nomination for? well, something terrible. This year it was Biggest Drama, but after four successive nominations and two wins in Biggest Letdown (2013 Awards excepted), it seems that nipping at Jari's heels is a true homespun tradition.

Well, go on. We know you've been too busy devouring the results to bother reading this much outroductory text, so we won't attempt to hold your attention any longer - but we hope you enjoyed yourselves, and, most importantly, discovered a load of great, new bands.

The Annual Metal Storm Awards Committee, a.k.a.

Winners, winners, chicken dinner.

Metal Storm Staff
Posted: 01.03.2015 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 670 users
01.03.2015 - 01:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Yes yes let the butthurt begin.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2015 - 01:33
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
WITTR, Vader, and Agalloch were some of the worst nominees in the entire Awards this year. Especially with Agalloch's competition, I'm disappointed, if not surprised at all. Ah well. Many new bands have been uncovered.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.03.2015 - 02:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2015 at 01:15

Can I start?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2015 - 03:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow I didn't get any band right, I suck at this quiz voting stuff.

The bands I like are probably too complex and underground for you guys.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.03.2015 - 04:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Yeah, I'm satisfied this year. We have some good winners. Pallbearer, Sólstafir, Mastodon, etc.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.03.2015 - 04:42
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 01.03.2015 at 02:52

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2015 at 01:15

Can I start?

please do
Written by Karlabos on 01.03.2015 at 03:26

Wow I didn't get any band right, I suck at this quiz voting stuff.

Like, hum, Babymetal?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2015 - 05:12
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 01.03.2015 at 01:33

WITTR, Vader, and Agalloch were some of the worst nominees in the entire Awards this year. Especially with Agalloch's competition, I'm disappointed, if not surprised at all. Ah well. Many new bands have been uncovered.

Agalloch was a massive disappointment i'd agree.

Overall, definitely one of the better results i've seen. It's a shame Saor or Empyrium didn't get an award though. Doom:VS was a great release, but so was Pallbearer.
01.03.2015 - 05:15
Byners
BABYWAT??
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
01.03.2015 - 05:42
Ruchesko
Too bad for Teng Cav. Still, time to lift the lid on C-metal me thinks...
01.03.2015 - 05:51
Ruchesko
Written by Karlabos on 01.03.2015 at 03:26

Glancing at your profile tells me your metal interests covers a vast number of subgenres, but I'm not sure how, say, Touhou metal can really be called complex?
01.03.2015 - 06:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ It was actually meant to be taken as a joke...
But hey, I'd go ahead and say ZUN is one of the greatest composers alive. Like those melodies fit on every genre without sounding weird and can still be catchy and characteristic.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.03.2015 - 06:19
MelancholiaC
To be honest, 2014 was probably the most underwhelming year for me since I became a metalhead about 10 years ago - as my album votes may comparatively suggest. I still discovered a lot of awesome bands and (older) albums, but this year's MS Awards probably had the least impact for yours truly.
01.03.2015 - 11:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I thought Evergrey would win in prog or Anubis Gate. Oh well... life's not fair!

I'm happy that Soen won though and beat Slipknot and it's cool that Architects won in core which had a great category this year.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2015 - 12:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Saor not winning was definitely the only disappointment I had. Well, of course they are less known than the winner but they were so close to win! But I'm damn glad they got so much attention and got second. I voted for 3 albums that won.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2015 - 13:05
Eternity'sChild
Tbh I can live a lot better with the results this year, compared to the last. I didn't have enough time to check out some nominees I was quite interested in, so I will defenitely revisit the awards topic, because, like last year, there is a lot of good new music to discover in the nominations.
01.03.2015 - 13:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

WITTR, Vader, and Agalloch were some of the worst nominees in the entire Awards this year.

Why WITTR?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2015 - 14:18
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2015 at 13:59

WITTR, Vader, and Agalloch were some of the worst nominees in the entire Awards this year.

Why WITTR?

I just found it rather uninteresting. I still gave it a 6/10, which isn't terrible, and in fact the lowest rating I gave to any nominee was a 5, so it's not like it disgusted me or anything (and "some of the worst nominees" still puts you barely on the underside of "good"), but it didn't impress me. I thought the other nominees in that category were much stronger.

Incidentally, good idea introducing this category this year. There was some good stuff to be had.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.03.2015 - 14:20
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Irritable Ted on 01.03.2015 at 11:35

Never heard of Babymetal, so just looked at Youtube. Please tell me that is just a joke. EDIT. Looked at Wiki and it seems to be real FFS.

Well, at least you can't deny that it's... surprising.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.03.2015 - 14:33
Rulatore
Can't say how much I'm disappointed by Sabaton winning power metal I thought Noble Beast was going to rape all the others haha. And Cannibal Corpse not being nominated this year, oh my... (altough I didn't vote for them, but because I couldn't change it later)

Also, Eluveitie for best folk ?
01.03.2015 - 16:15
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Well, I could say many things about this Awards but now I will only say one thing: Where the... is my vote for Kalovorot - Oko in Djent/Math category? http://www.metalstorm.net/awards/categories.php?cat_id=33
And yes, it is Djent/Math album:

You don't like it? Ok, but do not remove my votes. Thanks in advance.
01.03.2015 - 16:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2015 at 16:15

oh, it's still here. Just that the album has only one vote (yours I guess) and so it doesn't appear in the list on top of the page
----

I am awake"
01.03.2015 - 16:21
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2015 at 16:19

Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2015 at 16:15

oh, it's still here. Just that the album has only one vote (yours I guess) and so it doesn't appear in the list on top of the page

Ok but IMO results should contain approx. 10 albums, even albums with only 1 vote.
01.03.2015 - 16:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2015 at 16:21

Ok but IMO results should contain approx. 10 albums, even albums with only 1 vote.

Well as it was a category with only 5 nominees, that's why it only shows five results. I should actually show 6, btw, as there's a tie for the fifth place
----

I am awake"
01.03.2015 - 16:34
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2015 at 16:25

Well as it was a category with only 5 nominees, that's why it only shows five results. I should actually show 6, btw, as there's a tie for the fifth place

Hm, honestly I don't like that 'system'. Results should contain 10 albums (or more if tie), no matter how many nominees.
01.03.2015 - 16:47
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I didn't vote, so I can't be upset with the results. :-P
01.03.2015 - 18:12
God Alone
There was nothing resembling metal nor -gaze in Alcest's Shelter. Also, there was nothing brilliant about it. Oh well...
01.03.2015 - 18:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by God Alone on 01.03.2015 at 18:12

There was nothing resembling metal nor -gaze in Alcest's Shelter. Also, there was nothing brilliant about it. Oh well...

No metal - you are correct. No -gaze? You are wrong.
----
rekt
01.03.2015 - 18:34
God Alone
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2015 at 18:20

No -gaze? You are wrong.

Yeah, uhm... There were actually a couple of songs with some pretty effects, but overall the album sounded waaaay more dream-pop than shoegaze. If that makes any sense at all.
01.03.2015 - 18:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by God Alone on 01.03.2015 at 18:34

If that makes any sense at all.

It does. Although I would call it shoegaze - with the most pristine production I've ever heard for a shoegaze album.
----
rekt
01.03.2015 - 19:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
I love that Behemoth's "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel" won best video both 2013 and now 2014. It's a great video, I gave it my vote a year ago.
----

Hits total: 5866 | This month: 17