Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - Brent Smedley Returns, To Start Work On New Album

Iced Earth is set to begin the writing process of their 12th studio album in the spring 2015. After a short hiatus, (due to founder, chief songwriter, and guitarist Jon Schaffer's second cervical fusion surgery), the heavy metallers are planning their schedule for the remainder of the year. Iced Earth fans can expect the next album, tentatively entitled The Judas Goat, and the subsequent touring cycle to begin in early 2016, according to their latest update. Long time drummer Brent Smedley will be returning to the band for the recording and touring of the next album cycle.

Schaffer said of his recovery and the direction of the new album: "The recovery after this surgery has been more difficult than the first time around in 2000. Although there have been a few setbacks, I am confident that I'm ready to resume my duties in Iced Earth, directing my full attention to the creative process, production, and touring future of the band. We are looking forward to songwriting and getting back in the studio. The creative direction of the new album is rife with intense and heavy emotions, as one would expect from an Iced Earth record, as well as a wide variety of lyrical inspirations and themes. I am 100% confident that the bond our band has forged in these last several years will shine through in the music. It's a brotherhood in every way, and the fans will feel that. I couldn't be more proud of these guys and everything we've achieved together."

Smedley had to step down due to personal family reasons in 2013 shortly before the recording of their latest opus Plagues Of Babylon but is now returning.

"We are very pleased to have Brent joining us once again; he's always been a brother and an important part of the Iced Earth legacy," also said Schaffer.

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 24.04.2015 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 9   Visited by: 129 users
24.04.2015 - 12:32
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
These guys are funny. Band members been in and out since forever. Barlow joining the cops after 9/11, rejoining the band and then leaving due to "lack of spirit" was epic. The other guy who was accused of raping a girl was a funny one too.

Srsly, the last album (the zombie album) was a little poor. It has 3/4 songs worth listening to, at most.
I hope they recover great tunes like, at least, the Horror Show album.
For the sake of the band, i hope The Judas Goat is a working title...
24.04.2015 - 12:47
Stunning Cactus
If it sounds anything like Plagues, it'll be a pass for me. I'd really like to see some originality out of these guys. They're one of those bands of which I can't make it through an entire album; I generally pick and choose songs here and there (much like Arch Enemy). I don't know, I guess their basic style leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and unless it's a killer ballad (i.e. A Question of Heaven, Melancholy) or a balls-out power/heavy metal tune (Dystopia, Dracula), I can't really get into them as a whole.

TL;DR - let's hear something NEW!
24.04.2015 - 15:08
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong in thinking that Dystopia was a fluke!!!!
This was THE band that got into metal in high school and everything after glorious burden has been an emotional roller coaster; I either love or I despise the work John & Co. Produce.

p.s. Hopefully Stu will find his own and stop mimicking Barlow, though after 2 albums I doubt it.

p.s.s. This band gives megadeth a run for their money in terms of rotating band members.
24.04.2015 - 15:31
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I actually enjoyed Dystopia. It's not anything randomly close to any album before Horror Show, but it's the best after. For me at least.
The Dark City song is killer!

The Glorious Burden has a few nice tracks (The Reckoning, Declaration Day, Valley Forge and the Gettysburg epic), but it's filled with 9/11 references, which imo are cheesy as fuck (despite, as Jon says, being most of all, an emotional/rage album).

I like Stu.
24.04.2015 - 17:03
Stu is actually a great singer, in fact he's twice as capable as Ripper Owens IMO, but it bothers me that they've hired a guy to emulate Matthew Barlow as much as possible instead of getting someone with their own voice and style.

It's not just the him though, the main problem I have with Iced Earth is that the songwriting fell apart after Horror Show and has been weak ever since.

They were one of my top 5 bands of all time up until then. For me, they lost their magic and never recovered it.
24.04.2015 - 17:41
Zap
I think I called this* somewhere.

*Brent's return.
25.04.2015 - 20:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Stu should have stayed in Into Eternity where he belonged
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.04.2015 - 21:41
musclassia
Staff
Dystopia was a really solid album, if I had to spin any IE album right now I'd probably either choose that one or SWTWC, but PoB was a real flat one. I certainly think when you have someone with Stu Block's vocal range it seems a bit silly to keep him stuck singing in mid-range. Not really expecting anything from the new album but I'll check it out and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
26.04.2015 - 08:10
Sang Dalang Abu
At last.
It's ok. I think he is good drummer (not too great :p ) for 'IE'.

Hits total: 2864 | This month: 7