Metal Storm logo
Lords Of Chaos - Film Adaptation To Be Directed By Jonas Åkerlund

The book adaptation film for Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind's Lords Of Chaos: The Bloody Rise Of The Satanic Metal Underground finally has a director and it is none other than former Bathory drummer and video/film director Jonas Åkerlund. The film will be produced by Ridley Scott's Scott Free London, RSA London, and VICE. Lords of Chaos focuses on the real events involving members of the 80's black metal scene in Scandinavia and will follow the story of 17-year-old Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth, guitarist and co-founder of the Norwegian black metal band Mayhem during the upbringing of the genre.

The movie will follow the life of Euronymous who was murdered in 1993 by Burzum's Kristian "Varg" Vikernes. The film is expected to hit on the start of Norway's black metal scene, while also chronicling the wave of violence and church burnings that swept Norway in the early Nineties.

So far, Rory Culkin ("Scream 4," "Signs") and Caleb Landry Jones ("X-Men: First Class," "Byzantium") are confirmed for leading roles in the film, with further cast to be announced shortly. The film will shoot in the fall of 2015 on location in Norway.

Reached for comment via Rolling Stone, Mayhem bassist Necrobutcher - who co-founded the group with Euronymous - expressed his displeasure with the film. "This book Lords of Chaos is fucking crap and that some stupid Swedes are gonna make a movie out of it is not OK. I will do everything I can to stop this film.... Tell the Swedes and the Hollywood people to go fuck themselves."

The bassist also told Rolling Stone that a Norwegian company called Motion Blur has the rights to his story and that he has been spending time collaborating on a script for the film.

Source: rollingstone.com
Band profile: Mayhem
Posted: 05.05.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 108 users
05.05.2015 - 13:01
toxx
Supreme being
I'm gonna see this. And I will keep in mind that it will probably be mostly fiction. I have the book, and I don't really like it. Want to learn more about the early years of norwegian bm, you should read Metalions book. Slayer Mag Diaries. Written by someone who was actually there.
05.05.2015 - 13:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When it will be out ... I need to download it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.05.2015 - 14:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 05.05.2015 at 13:17

When it will be out ... I need to download it

Probably not until 2016...
05.05.2015 - 15:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
This without doubt will be an horrible movie full of clichés... oh well, whatever.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.05.2015 - 15:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I agree with both above comments.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.05.2015 - 16:39
Jiri
Only Heath Ledger could have played Dead...
05.05.2015 - 18:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Seriously? I'm the last one to promote that "stay trve and kvlt" bullshit, but the idea of actual actors playing people like Euronymous, Dead, Faust, etc. just feels.... I don't know, kind of forced and too gimmicky for the genre. Something about the story of that 90s black metal scene just seems to me like it'll always be unfit for anything other than documentary adaptation. I don't think actors could ever really capture the unique (and often times flat out disturbed) personalities of some of the parties involved, but I suppose there's always room for pleasant surprises.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.05.2015 - 19:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I can feel that they wanted to call Adam Sandler and Nicolas Cage to perform as Varg and Euronymous.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.05.2015 - 20:29
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
What's funny is Necrobutcher's reaction. Though it stands to reason, as he was a friend of both Dead and Euronymous. He does not really want to see them being reduced to some crazy clowns but the movie industry that interpretes differently the real events. Prolly this movie will end up like that film about Sid and Nancy of Sex Pistols' fame. Also, making a film about an event within the BM scene is kinda unfitting. I doubt that real life actors can put themselves in the shoes of these disturbed personnas and perform them accordingly. I am keeping a dose of skepticism, but I have to admit, I do not expect much... Also, I wonder what Necrobutcher meant by saying 'I will do everything I can to stop the movie'? What can you do? File a lawsuit? On the basis of what? Send some threat letters, Euronymous style? Burn a church or something? Come on... I get that you don't like it, but if you don't, then pretend like it does not even exist... really...
06.05.2015 - 01:27
Vombatus
Potorro
I wonder what happened to the initial project started a few years back, that Sion Sono was suppose to direct with some Twilight douche staring as Varg or something

But even if the events seem great for a movie, I doubt anything good can be made for the reasons Apothecary mentioned. A legit documentary that those involve actually support would be much cooler, certainly not basing it on some book considered bullshit by everyone concerned.
06.05.2015 - 02:07
Jiri
17-year-old Euronymous? He was murdered when he was 25. The film will cover 8 years of Mayhem history?
06.05.2015 - 05:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by deadone on 06.05.2015 at 05:27

All humans are individuals and unique. Actors still do a great job of acting them out be it Tina Turner or Margaret Thatcher or Ed Gain or Stephen Hawkins or Winston Churchill. I'm sure Euronymous will not be a problem for a skilled actor. Norwegian BM is gimmicky. In fact it is on par with KISS when it comes to gimmickry - corpse paint, spikes, church burning, satanism, neo-nazism, cliched anti-mainstream everything approach, lo fi approach. In some ways Norwegian BM is a parody of heavy metal cliches that took itself seriously. It would be hilarious save for the church burning and murders.

There's just something telling me that I'll be sitting there watching the film with a feeling in the back of my head of "these guys (the actors) are just actors." I suppose the reason that a literal film adaptation feels strange is that up to this point we've been getting all our film info on black metal history through documentaries. So ya know, actors playing these people, it feels a lot less genuine and in your face than actually hearing Varg talk about killing Euronymous on recording, watching the real footage of churches burning, hearing the Gorgoroth dude talk about his Satanism, etc. I guess the best way I can put it is that through their actions many of these individuals have created these mysterious, larger-than-life, and at times outright sinister personas, and seeing actors portray them, rather than having their actions simply speak for themselves, it just feels as though that aura would somewhat be lost in translation.

I don't doubt that a lot of early black metal musicians took to their imagery and lyrical themes from a very tongue-in-cheek attitude. But that also doesn't mean there weren't many who were also seriously committed to what they were doing and legitimately believed in the "rightness" of some of their violent actions. So I'm skeptical as to whether or not the director could retain that sort of attitude, or would merely portray the parties involved as mindless adolescents doing stupid shit because they didn't know any better. Which in many ways they were, but in many other ways they weren't, and I wouldn't want a film that focuses largely on the former while ignoring the latter. And unfortunately that seems to be the trend of a lot of biographical films: they blow the darker moments in the lives of the people they focus on completely out of proportion to the point that those aspects of their personalities come to dwarf the others.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.05.2015 - 05:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Jiri on 06.05.2015 at 02:07

17-year-old Euronymous? He was murdered when he was 25. The film will cover 8 years of Mayhem history?

No, they are going to film it over 8 years. an grim and frostbitten Boyhood.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.05.2015 - 06:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by deadone on 06.05.2015 at 05:55

Interesting you find them mysterious and larger than life, whereas I see lost losers and misfits who got out of control

Not "larger than life" in the sense that I admire them, just in the sense that some of the extreme things that they did kind of mythologized them in a way and created this sense of mystique where they seemed almost alien and unreal, like we actually have to take a step back and ask ourselves "holy shit, are these people even human at all?" And that's where the disturbing, creepy factor comes in that I think would somewhat be lost through the use of actors. It's like... which do you think would be more emotionally unsettling: hearing Charles Manson talk about some of the things the family did back in the day, and the cult mentality at work in it, or having other parties who were never involved in these things act them out on the whim of their own interpretation? I think most would agree to that first one. Call me a purist, but I'd rather keep things as genuine as possible, and after watching a ton of documentaries on BM, I think that's the best medium for preserving its honest and accurate history. But I will most likely check this out when it's released, simply for the sake of amusement if nothing else.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 2976 | This month: 9