Metal Storm logo
More precise rating guidelines?

01.07.2015 - 13:49
Ziom
I propose a clear rating guidelines, to be shown while rating an album, similarly to a great website - boardgamegeek.com

10: a classic. Genre defining. Revolutionary. I'll always be returning to it and expect this will never change.
9: a perfect album. Doesn't have to be revolutionary - simply a masterpiece within its genre. Not a single weakness. I'll always be returning to it and expect this will never change. 100% content is good (in listening time)
8: a very good album. Perhaps an unnecessary song. One solo could be better. One out of place arrangement. 90% good content.
7: a good album. Perhaps a song or two drags a little. 80% good content.
6: a fine album. Good for a couple of listens although there are some annoyances and flaws. 60-70%
5: an average album. Take it or leave it. 50%
4: below average. Boredom, the album drags. Vocals can be messy. Bad production. less than 40%
3: a bad album. Bad production, songs don't make sense, are messed up. Glitches.
2: a very bad album. Barely listenable. Stolen ideas, riffs.
1: not really an album. A complete, utter failure.

This would make people rethink their ratings. Right now user ratings aren't really helpful.
15.10.2015 - 01:11
MoonProgeny
... or to even allow the users to utilize decimals into their ratings, like the reviewers. I am new here, obviously, although I think the aforementioned would be helpful all the same. There is an album I presently have rated at an 8 that I would probably actually give a 7.8 and an album at a 9 that would be more like an 8.5 and so on. I imagine what I am suggesting has been suggested elsewhere before, at some point, but it can't hurt to mention it anyway, right?
15.10.2015 - 02:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Meh. Read the first line and already disagree

Why the hell does an album have to be classic and genre defining to be a 10?
Imo my votes only show MY appreciation for the album. If for me an album is awesome even if it's just generic crap for the others then so be it

The decimal idea could be useful for some users. But to be honest most users don't even know how to distribute votes properly with 10 choices since they seem to prefer using exclusively the 2 extreme ones.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2015 - 05:07
MoonProgeny
Written by Karlabos on 15.10.2015 at 02:13
The decimal idea could be useful for some users. But to be honest most users don't even know how to distribute votes properly with 10 choices since they seem to prefer using exclusively the 2 extreme ones.

I have been getting a feeling that this is an issue around here, just from reading various comments on album reviews and such. You know, it's a shame a few people have to create such a ruckus since it negatively inhibits those who are more sincere with their ratings overall. As for now, I just round my votes - if something is 8.5 to me then it becomes a 9, for instance. At any rate, I'd like decimals for more precise ratings, haha.
15.10.2015 - 05:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Comparing to other websites' rating to any other website is plain bullshit policy you trying to explain here, Ziom.

Agree with what Karl said. To each their own.

No matter how rigid you go on ratings, people still "rate records" on how they "feel". Yes, spamming is annoying but for that, we have Uncle Nuke to do his job.
15.10.2015 - 23:19
Warman
Erotic Stains

Imo my votes only show MY appreciation for the album. If for me an album is awesome even if it's just generic crap for the others then so be it

Agreed. According to a majority of metalheads there's probably a lot of average stuff (even crap) I give a 10. A lot of stuff that hasn't defined a genre at all. A lot of stuff that's far from classic. But to me it's classic and has possibly defined me in some way. Or it's just simply some of the best music I've ever heard. I don't care about the impact an album has had on others when I vote. Otherwise I wouldn't give "Paranoid" a 7. Neither would I give "The X Factor" a higher rating than "The Number of the Beast". Fuck me, I would have to change half my Metallica ratings.
----
16.10.2015 - 00:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Warman on 15.10.2015 at 23:19

Agreed. According to a majority of metalheads there's probably a lot of average stuff (even crap) I give a 10. A lot of stuff that hasn't defined a genre at all. A lot of stuff that's far from classic. But to me it's classic and has possibly defined me in some way. Or it's just simply some of the best music I've ever heard. I don't care about the impact an album has had on others when I vote. Otherwise I wouldn't give "Paranoid" a 7. Neither would I give "The X Factor" a higher rating than "The Number of the Beast". Fuck me, I would have to change half my Metallica ratings.

Yeah, the other way around occurrs too
Some people feel the need to vote an album high just because it's a classic of some sort. And seem to demand other people do the same because it's some common knowledge of some sort...
I gave Ride The Lightning a 3 because it's that bad. =p
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.12.2015 - 18:59
nightwica
I think Ziom somewhat makes sense but this would only work, if giving a 10 would need a review from a staff member, and only some ranked users could do it, and it would be obligatory to write a 4 sentences minimum explanation of why that one particular album is so exceptional and revolutionary.
30.12.2015 - 20:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Naah... Personally that way I wouldn't bother rating albums 10s due to lazyness. And judging by that I assume almost everyone else would
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.12.2015 - 21:36
nightwica
But that is good, then the point would be that very few albums would get the 10 If you find an album is like the 8th wonder of the world you would probably have the devotion to write some extra lines about that