Metal Storm logo
Soundwave Festival - Cancelled

The 2016 edition of Australia's Soundwave Festival has been canceled a month before it was scheduled to get underway due to "poor ticket sales." The three-day, three-city event was scheduled to take place in Brisbane on January 23rd, Sydney a day later and Melbourne on January 26th. The festival was cancelled amid debts of up to $25 million, leaving suppliers and ticket holders for January's planned three-city event in limbo.

In a series of Twitter posts, Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah said: "I am devastated to have to announce the cancellation of Soundwave 2016 due to poor ticket sales. I am very sorry. I tried my best."

He went on to say: "Thank you to all the fans, bands and people who supported the event for the last 12 years. I wish we could have ended it on a better note."

Maddah added: "Great triumph for the Internet hate squad and the trolls. Congratulations, guys. Only thing is, you are now fast running out of targets."

Tickets to Soundwave 2016 cost more than $150.

In early October 2015, a creditors' meeting heard Soundwave owed more than $11 million to some of the biggest acts in the world, including Seattle grunge pioneers Soundgarden ($2.1 million), metal act Slipknot ($1.6 million), and Billy Corgan's group Smashing Pumpkins ($1.2 million).

Burton Bell, frontman of Californian metal band Fear Factory, told Fairfax Media in October he became aware of Maddah's financial issues in February while playing the Adelaide leg of the 2015 festival. "AJ owes my band a lot of money," he said. "We fear we will never see that money. My family has suffered financial hardship since the Soundwave tour."

Source: smh.com.au
Posted: 19.12.2015 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 5   Visited by: 60 users
19.12.2015 - 13:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Ouch. I'm kind of surprised these things run on credit like this. Never figured that any band or label would agree to do a show like this without being paid up front, especially those bands that apparently bill for hundreds of thousands, and millions, of dollars.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.12.2015 - 13:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, this is pretty disastrous. Also, it seems to involve a lot more money than I would've thought initially.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.12.2015 - 13:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
No kidding. And seeing those amounts of how much money some of these bands are billing for makes me wonder A) is that amount decided by the band and relayed through their label/manager, or is that amount decided primarily by their label, and B) just exactly how much of that money does the band get to keep vs how much of it has to go to the label?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.12.2015 - 23:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Not surprised at those $ amounts considering how much a mid-strength beer cost at Soundwave. Whole thing was criminal with Maddah the # 1 crook.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
20.12.2015 - 04:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Hell they owe the Vandals north of $50k. this is part of the reason they copped to not touring much at all anymore. can't blame 'em.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 1279 | This month: 7