Metal Storm logo
Hipster black metal tag on MS?

26.01.2016 - 14:14
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Is it time to include Hipster BM as a tag on MS?
Lastfm has it but the description is kind of vague: http://www.last.fm/tag/hipster+black+metal
HBM is probably more than "Black metal for people who like new things." So what do you think, will HBM be a tag in the future or is just a derotagory expression that soon will die out? Should it be added or is there any better description? Or maybe the black metal tag is enough for the bands that are called HBM?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)
26.01.2016 - 17:02
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
As soon as hipsters will find a new "next big thing", they'll forget everything about BM altogether, leaving BM bands free to play some black metal (whatever the variations might be) without such a trendy tag to go along.
So, I'd say no.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.01.2016 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Hipster is not a defined sort of sound so, nope, no need for hipster black metal tag.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2016 - 18:06
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Defo a resounding no from me as well...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

26.01.2016 - 22:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Last.fm tags are entirely user made. Just one person could make it on a whim so it means nothing that it's there.

It's a terrible, terrible idea at any rate.
26.01.2016 - 22:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, you are really concerned about the new wave of black metal and its subgenre nomenclature =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.01.2016 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4365] on 26.01.2016 at 22:22

Last.fm tags are entirely user made. Just one person could make it on a whim so it means nothing that it's there.

It's a terrible, terrible idea at any rate.

last.fm and wiki are unnoficial sources , cant even be used as MS database edits
I like cases when wiki tags MA as source, same album MA use wiki as source (forum discussions)
MA genres can be used as ''temporally'
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.01.2016 - 23:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 26.01.2016 at 22:53

last.fm and wiki are unnoficial sources , cant even be used as MS database edits
I like cases when wiki tags MA as source, same album MA use wiki as source (forum discussions)

There are no such things as "official" sources for genres. Genres are created through time and consensus, and luck. Hipster Black Metal will never be a thing though (I hope).
26.01.2016 - 23:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
"hipster" doesn't even mean anything musically outside of metal
----
- Reimu Hakurei
26.01.2016 - 23:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4365] on 26.01.2016 at 23:13

Written by Bad English on 26.01.2016 at 22:53

There are no such things as "official" sources for genres. Genres are created through time and consensus, and luck. Hipster Black Metal will never be a thing though (I hope).

well yes, but Venom says they only play BM, Immortal plays norvegian metal or cold metal, idiots marduk would label saxon as BM if they would sing about that pall from hell
even Lemmy said we're rock n roll band , not HM band
----

apos;'
[image]
27.01.2016 - 01:04
ANGEL REAPER
I dont believe that is good idea.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.01.2016 - 01:25
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Na. I think there are already some over the top genres listed, adding something like "hipster" just sounds silly.
27.01.2016 - 02:32
Vombatus
Potorro
I thinks it's absurd to label something if it's not reflected in the sound, so that's a no.
Though I can think of a few genres where it is the case (the contradictions of metal I guess : ).
27.01.2016 - 02:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Exactly.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.01.2016 - 08:08
no one
Account deleted
Cascadian, dsbm, viking, pagan, these sort of labels are kind of false but you get a general idea of what it might sound like.

For me hipster bm makes me think of blackgazey kind of bands for some reason.
27.01.2016 - 10:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=136611] on 27.01.2016 at 08:08

Cascadian, dsbm, viking, pagan, these sort of labels are kind of false but you get a general idea of what it might sound like.

dsbm?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.01.2016 - 11:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Fuck yea! I was waiting for this topic! My favorite "term"! Give me *edit genre tags* permission ASAP. Smh...
----
rekt
27.01.2016 - 13:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=136611] on 27.01.2016 at 08:08

Well, dsbm is a valid tag i think.
Since there is no other way to describe the bands on the dsbm subgenre. At least not that I know of
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.01.2016 - 14:20
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 26.01.2016 at 17:02

As soon as hipsters will find a new "next big thing", they'll forget everything about BM altogether, leaving BM bands free to play some black metal (whatever the variations might be) without such a trendy tag to go along.
So, I'd say no.

I think youre underestimating what has just started, if you belive that metal will ever become what it was I belive youre wrong. We are just getting started here...

As most of you I think "hipster" is a bit vague, but I also think every new paradigm needs new terms.
27.01.2016 - 14:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by [user id=157444] on 27.01.2016 at 14:20

So, I'd say no.

I think youre underestimating what has just started, if you belive that metal will ever become what it was I belive youre wrong. We are just getting started here...

As most of you I think "hipster" is a bit vague, but I also think every new paradigm needs new terms.

Hipster "culture" has nothing to do with a distinct sound of music, metal or otherwise. It's just "rebel" people who hop from underground stuff to underground stuff to "oppose trends" or whatever. So maybe "We are just getting started here" but let's discuss it when we'll have a "real" hipster sound - and not listening/buying habits based on trends
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
27.01.2016 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The term hipster is more or less what we back in the Eighties called posers whcih was also not a specific sound but more a wannabe mindset
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2016 - 15:25
FYA
Destroyer
Hipster Black Metal? Botanist.
27.01.2016 - 15:59
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 27.01.2016 at 14:48

So, I'd say no.

Hipster "culture" has nothing to do with a distinct sound of music, metal or otherwise. It's just "rebel" people who hop from underground stuff to underground stuff to "oppose trends" or whatever. So maybe "We are just getting started here" but let's discuss it when we'll have a "real" hipster sound - and not listening/buying habits based on trends

We are not discussing history here are we? Its quite obvious that whats being said about metal cant cope with what is being done in metal- the scene is alive and kicking but one can be fooled to think its dead, buried and still in the 90s as everything still is called BM. So lets try to be avantgarde here and provoke some new tags as the kids cant do it themself.
27.01.2016 - 16:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Besides I'm pretty sure the bm tags are all already there though... dsbm, blackgaze, atmo-black, experimental black, psychedelic black, avatngarde black, post black, etc etc etc

Is there any distinct sounding subgenre without a tag? I can't remind of any...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.01.2016 - 16:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 27.01.2016 at 16:15

Besides I'm pretty sure the bm tags are all already there though... dsbm, blackgaze, atmo-black, experimental black, psychedelic black, avatngarde black, post black, etc etc etc

You are right. There is no need for a tag as hipster black metal, since what the hipsters listen to can already be classified as post black, psychedelic black, blackgaze.
And hipsters are people that move on to other music once it isn't hip for them any more (more or less like Momo said). Always funny though that even though hipsters think they are ahead of the pack when it comes to music they Always lag behind because when they jump on a certain bandwago that genre/band/etc had already been long been discovered by the underground.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2016 - 17:16
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2016 at 16:54

Written by Karlabos on 27.01.2016 at 16:15

You are right. There is no need for a tag as hipster black metal, since what the hipsters listen to can already be classified as post black, psychedelic black, blackgaze.
And hipsters are people that move on to other music once it isn't hip for them any more (more or less like Momo said). Always funny though that even though hipsters think they are ahead of the pack when it comes to music they Always lag behind because when they jump on a certain bandwago that genre/band/etc had already been long been discovered by the underground.

Hes right in some aspects, but those sub-genres can be associated with traditional metalheads.
HBM is "comprised of bands that do not subscribe to the imagery or thematic elements of traditional metal yet play with certain aspects of the sound. It is bands who are embraced and liked by a listernership not usually associated with traditional metal. Albums are discussed on websites not usually associated with traditional metal." So, I am not sure that the traditional tags catches what this movement will be about. My guess is that HBM will ne more used than other tags to discuss some bands even though the tag is vague.

And I am having a hard time to think of this as experimental BM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebxIwwhV5MA But thats whats it called here on MS
27.01.2016 - 19:48
Neachy
Written by [user id=157444] on 27.01.2016 at 17:16

And I am having a hard time to think of this as experimental BM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebxIwwhV5MA But thats whats it called here on MS

Oh, that's "Transcendental Black Metal". They subversively transcend all genre barriers in order to create the worst music imaginable so quirky people can like it ironically.
27.01.2016 - 21:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 27.01.2016 at 14:48

So, I'd say no.

what is hipster culture
----

apos;'
[image]
27.01.2016 - 21:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 26.01.2016 at 18:06

Defo a resounding no from me as well...

we can lock this, can we?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.01.2016 - 00:17
J. N.
Account deleted
The "No" is strong in this thread.