Metal Storm logo
NWOTHM on MS?

01.02.2016 - 18:06
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
NWOTHM stands for New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal. Im just gonna post this here: https://thegreatnorthernblogkill.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/a-beginners-guide-to-the-new-wave-of-traditional-heavy-metal/
And this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmZp9fbjo3rEBG3dRbU5s34c9clM4nato

So whats your thoughts- are these bands good enough to have a tag here? Is this something new in heavy metal or is just plain and simple heavy metal? If its a new wave, how would you define it?
This are my thoughts about this:
01.02.2016 - 18:12
J. N.
Account deleted
No, because prefixes for anything but Black Metal and Doom Metal is strictly illegal here. Sorry, broseph.
01.02.2016 - 18:18
slim pickings
Account deleted
I like some of these bands that try to revive traditional heavy metal
Black Trip
The Dagger
Christian Mistress
Enforcer
Skullfist
Stereo Nasty
Thundermother

I also like these new bands that sound like they're from the 70s or something , they've got this vintage sound; people hurry to call them stoner rock (I dislike the term).
01.02.2016 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
THM don't exist, its HM just simple as it and . It is just simply HEAVY METAL ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.02.2016 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=105265] on 01.02.2016 at 18:12

No, because prefixes for anything but Black Metal and Doom Metal is strictly illegal here. Sorry, broseph.

You forgot of NWOBHM
Melo death, we do it sometimes, prog dead, what else, seems its all , but such genre as he suggest don't make any sense
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2016 - 21:24
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2016 at 21:22
You forgot of NWOBHM
Melo death, we do it sometimes, prog dead, what else, seems its all , but such genre as he suggest don't make any sense

Not adding prefixes on different styles for a more specific search here doesn't make any sense.
01.02.2016 - 21:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=105265] on 01.02.2016 at 21:24

Written by Bad English on 01.02.2016 at 21:22
You forgot of NWOBHM

Not adding prefixes on different styles for a more specific search here doesn't make any sense.

I never search a style here, but band , prefixes makes sence if its atno bm, melo bm, death/doom, but not to that genre. its not even official ....
1th time I heard of it was today
----

apos;'
[image]
03.02.2016 - 15:12
IronAngel
It is worth noting that a scene or a movement (wave) does not typically equal a genre. One is historical and social, the other is (ostensibly) formal.

That said, I think the authoritative attribution of MS-approved genres to artists is a bit of a pointless battle. An organic tagging system is much more useful to users who may be interested in descriptors other than the dubious, static "genre" of the work, but there are already services with userbases sizable enough to make it work. I would rather we find technical solutions to point to such services (such as links to Last.fm and RYM profiles for bands, through which users can search for more info and come back to MS).
10.04.2016 - 02:57
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
As IronAngel said, the distinction between "heavy metal" and "NWOTHM" is one between scenes/movements/time periods and not one of styles. At least, there are no material differences to the point where we could consider the two eras entirely different genres. We obviously do allow style prefixes for a variety of genres, not just black and doom, but "NWOTHM" does not need to become its own category. It's not a question of bands being "good enough," of course, but "heavy metal" is sufficient to describe the music that bands like Enforcer or Skull Fist play, sometimes with other genres attached, and anyone looking to distinguish by time and place as well as style has the option to filter artists in such a fashion.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
12.04.2016 - 17:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Let's not forget that MS does actually have a feature already for pointing out similar bands, it's called "Similar bands", and it's on every band page, and any registered user can recommend similar bands.

Also, no, we don't need a NWOTHM tag.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.04.2016 - 18:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 12.04.2016 at 17:53

Also, no, we don't need a NWOTHM tag.

Of course we don't. NWOBHM is already dodgy although a generally accpeted term the world over. That was also only a period in history and nothing sound wise.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996