Metal Storm logo
Katatonia - To Play Entire 'The Great Cold Distance' In Bulgaria

Katatonia are celebrating the 10th anniversary of their landmark album The Great Cold Distance with an exclusive show in Bulgaria. On Thursday 22nd September, they will be performing an exclusive show in the magnificent Roman theatre in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. The band will be joined by the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra on their first set, playing the entire album. There will also be a second set, without the orchestra, that will see the band playing a selection of their greatest hits, both old and new. It seems promising.

The evening will be orchestrated by conductor Levon Manukyan, who wrote the first metal ballet and is the founder of the Levon Manukyan Collegium Musicum orchestra. He has worked with the likes of Opeth, Paradise Lost, Asia, Fish, Tarja, Anathema and many others.

If you don't want to miss this, get your tickets here.

The Swedish band is also releasing a new album this year, The Fall Of Hearts.

Source: peaceville.com
Band profile: Katatonia
Posted: 26.03.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 26   Visited by: 112 users
26.03.2016 - 13:40
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Damn, that's really a shame that I don't live closer to Bulgaria.
26.03.2016 - 14:41
Litvin
Written by LeKiwi on 26.03.2016 at 13:40

Damn, that's really a shame that I don't live closer to Bulgaria.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
The Great Cold Distance is my favorite one Bulgarians are lucky ones
26.03.2016 - 14:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
How to really bore your crowd to death.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2016 - 15:59
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Katatonia could even play their leftovers and the show would still kickass.
Will be seeing them in August, stoked af!
26.03.2016 - 17:38
MetalDoomMaster
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2016 at 14:49

Yeah, I can't really say why but I think this is their most boring album. I picked it up a few weeks ago for cheap because I hadn't heard it before and Viva Emptiness blew me away but I listened to this one cover to cover multiple times and just cannot get into it.
26.03.2016 - 20:41
JayMo4
I'm sure they'll play the entire Dance of December Souls album on their next tour
26.03.2016 - 20:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2016 at 14:49

Indeed, wouldn't the debut in full live be much more interesting (and probably more appealing)? Dunno if they've done that before already, though...
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.03.2016 - 22:00
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 26.03.2016 at 17:38
I picked it up a few weeks ago for cheap because I hadn't heard it before

umm...

26.03.2016 - 22:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
So much hate for The Great Cold Distance. (Marcel is not surprising though )

Personally, it's one of my favourite Katatonia albums. Not fair Bulgaria gets all the special shows.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.03.2016 - 22:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by BloodTears on 26.03.2016 at 22:00

Personally, it's one of my favourite Katatonia albums. Not fair Bulgaria gets all the special shows.

This.
26.03.2016 - 23:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

The song as stand alone are good to great but when put topgehter on an album it is immensely boring since they all sound alike. There is no variation whatsoever. Vivav Emptiness had that variation which this snorefest didn't.

But then again it is clear the Katatonia fanboys and fangirls lap up eveything the band releases. Imagine being critical about your favourite band... my God NO that is is not possible for those people.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2016 - 23:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 26.03.2016 at 20:44
Indeed, wouldn't the debut in full live be much more interesting (and probably more appealing)? Dunno if they've done that before already, though...

Unrealistic request. There's a reason why Jonas barely does harsh vocals and that's because after the debut he butchered his cords and only recently he has been able to do one or two songs live but it's still rare.

Seeing a Brave murder Day set with Mikael Åkerfeldt, Discouraged Ones or Vuva Emptiness, damn... Now that would be a dream for me.

To me it was the beginning of the end. I do like the album but this is where they started with a way-too-clinical production that doesn't go well with the emotional factors found in their music.

Leaders, Deliberation and specially In The White... They are still some of my favorite Katatonia songs ever.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2016 - 00:55
MetalDoomMaster
Written by LeKiwi on 26.03.2016 at 22:00

umm...

Yeah, if I'm at the cd store and see something that I'm interested in and it's cheap I'm going to get it though haha. I wasn't really expecting to be disappointed.
27.03.2016 - 01:29
God Alone
If I really had to be critical with my favourite rock/metal band (for what reason though?), I'd just say that Tonight's Decision is by far their worst release, half of the album bores me to death and I can't stand some of the refrains. Also, I don't like a couple of songs on Last Fair Deal. As for the rest... I don't feel the urge to complain. Particularly TGCD is in my top 3 Katatonia albums, as well as among my favourites everfuckingever, so I wish the Bulgarian crowd a memorable evening.
27.03.2016 - 06:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.03.2016 at 23:58

Unrealistic request. There's a reason why Jonas barely does harsh vocals and that's because after the debut he butchered his cords and only recently he has been able to do one or two songs live but it's still rare.

I'm not really all that crazy about the band aside from their early material, so go easy on me for not knowing this
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.03.2016 - 12:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2016 at 23:54

The song as stand alone are good to great but when put topgehter on an album it is immensely boring since they all sound alike. There is no variation whatsoever. Vivav Emptiness had that variation which this snorefest didn't.

But then again it is clear the Katatonia fanboys and fangirls lap up eveything the band releases. Imagine being critical about your favourite band... my God NO that is is not possible for those people.

I get what you're saying about the individual songs though. For me, it just hit a sweet spot. I like the lyrics and everything just comes together conceptually. And I'm not a Katatonia fangirl though. I mostly like TGCD, Viva Emptiness and Brave Murder Day.

@Rod: I agree that it was the beginning of the end though. It was their last great album.
----

My Instagram
27.03.2016 - 12:24
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

But then again it is clear the Katatonia fanboys and fangirls lap up eveything the band releases.

Even though that's true, don't you find it a little odd that TGCD is their second highest rated album after BMD given that it's so boring? There must be something that people like about it.

Edit: also wouldn't consider myself the biggest Katatonia fan as I only enjoyed Viva and TGCD.
27.03.2016 - 13:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 27.03.2016 at 12:24

But then again it is clear the Katatonia fanboys and fangirls lap up eveything the band releases.

Even though that's true, don't you find it a little odd that TGCD is their second highest rated album after BMD given that it's so boring? There must be something that people like about it.

Edit: also wouldn't consider myself the biggest Katatonia fan as I only enjoyed Viva and TGCD.

No love for Brave Murder Day?

Yes, TGCD seems like one of their most popular albums. Viva Emptiness is still better.
----

My Instagram
27.03.2016 - 14:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by BloodTears on 27.03.2016 at 13:15

No love for Brave Murder Day?

Yes, TGCD seems like one of their most popular albums. Viva Emptiness is still better.

I can appreciate it for what it's worth, but I personally wouldn't listen to it again.

As for Viva, I still feel like some songs off that album are awkward or missing something...ineffable.
28.03.2016 - 00:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
TGCD was the beginning of them end for them. The start of the really sterile sound and approach to writing. There are a few good songs on it though, to be sure. Not worth dedicating a whole show to, though.
28.03.2016 - 11:42
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
There's a lot of love for TGCD so it seems worth it
28.03.2016 - 12:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

band is dead, to me they lives in a CD's but live, its ignore bands
They should play full Dance Of The December Souls or Brave/Murder/Day .... otherwise it don't make sence and like Mike Hotel sad, it will bored croud to death .... but sees many ppl don't get it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.03.2016 - 18:56
Velvet Thorns
I'm sure this is going to be an incredible experience, looking forward to it \m/
----
restless oblivion forever
29.03.2016 - 21:24
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 28.03.2016 at 00:25

TGCD was the beginning of them end for them. The start of the really sterile sound and approach to writing. There are a few good songs on it though, to be sure. Not worth dedicating a whole show to, though.

I agree on principle, but Unfurl was on the B-side for this album and imo, that is the best song they ever did, even considering their doom period. Seems like it is a one-time thing though.
30.03.2016 - 03:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 29.03.2016 at 21:24

I agree on principle, but Unfurl was on the B-side for this album and imo, that is the best song they ever did, even considering their doom period. Seems like it is a one-time thing though.

I'm not sure I ever heard that song. Sounds like something I should youtube asap. Always good to hear a cool thing from a band I gave up on ages ago.
31.03.2016 - 13:14
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 30.03.2016 at 03:16

I'm not sure I ever heard that song. Sounds like something I should youtube asap. Always good to hear a cool thing from a band I gave up on ages ago.

Well, don't expect it to change the world, but it is a very cool atypical (for them anyways) trip-hoppy song with really great mood and atmopshere.

Hits total: 3306 | This month: 8