Metal Storm logo
Solos: Slayer vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 21.03.2007 - 19:41
I've included two soloists from each band incase some people feel that the solos from other members of the band or former members were of greater stature. My opinion on this is that the two bands were the best of their time in the fact that they both are very inspiring and influential, but the solos from each band couldnt be more different. Slayers solos were more focused on the speed and darker sound of the solos. While Metallica wanted solos that were going to focus more on the whole sound of the piece and would be more towards the styles of classical musicians such as Bach or Mozart. What I mean by that is that Metallica wanted their solos to be understood and heard clearly through and through. Not to say anything bad about Slayer but the fact that Metallicas solos are far more clear just gives me this impression. So, what are your thoughts on this? Who had the best solos, Slayer or Metallica?

Poll

Best Solos From These Two 80's thrash bands? [Metallica vs Slayer]

Metallica [Kirk Hammet]
Metallica [Dave Mustaine]
Slayer [Kerry King]
Slayer [Jeff Hanneman]

Total votes: 243
29.11.2007 - 00:36
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Totally agree with your list. Metallica solos are easy to play, while slayer's are much more complex and difficult although sometimes random with regards to King. Anywho, Jeff wins IMO.
29.11.2007 - 02:07
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I chose Kerry King, simply because of the ferocity of his solos. They're guaranteed to gut out your insides.
30.11.2007 - 09:46
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I HATE the vast majority of Slayer's solos. Like for example, more or less all of the Reign In Blood solos are just rubbish, they just pinch and let the tone feedback, and then repeat. Over and over again until your ear is totally fucked up.

Metallica's solos are so melodic, Kirk almost always hits precisely the right note at precisely the right time. It just have that right feeling.. Tough to explain. Whatever.
----
THRASH!!!
30.11.2007 - 11:47
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by DrunkenFuck on 30.11.2007 at 09:46

I HATE the vast majority of Slayer's solos. Like for example, more or less all of the Reign In Blood solos are just rubbish, they just pinch and let the tone feedback, and then repeat. Over and over again until your ear is totally fucked up.

Metallica's solos are so melodic, Kirk almost always hits precisely the right note at precisely the right time. It just have that right feeling.. Tough to explain. Whatever.

oh yes Jeff and Kerry always hit the wrong note at the wrong moment douchebag
and about fucking up your ears: thats metal
01.12.2007 - 15:25
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Guest on 30.11.2007 at 11:47

Written by DrunkenFuck on 30.11.2007 at 09:46

oh yes Jeff and Kerry always hit the wrong note at the wrong moment douchebag
and about fucking up your ears: thats metal

Haha, whatever
----
THRASH!!!
03.12.2007 - 20:10
ArcanaHereticae
Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman had the most horrible solos on Reign In Blood. Especially the song Raining Blood.

Have you heard Ride The Lightning? Even though I dislike Metallica somewhat, they have it as far as lead guitarists go in Thrash. (Kirk Hammet.)
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
03.12.2007 - 21:09
Demonmayonnaise
I had to go with King, then Mustaine. I like em all though... this is one of those questions that makes me wanna punch myself in the head...
04.12.2007 - 02:45
TheReaperBuzznet
Account deleted
Totally different, so hard to compare. Personally, I model my guitar playing more after Hanneman and King. They have a more chaotic approach than Hammett who is more about laying each note carefully into place. One approach is not necessarily better than the other. They each fit their respective bands. As for Mustaine, I can't comment on his Metallica soloing as I don't think I've ever heard any Metallica with him on it, but most of his Megadeth soloing is phenomenal, probably the most complex out of all of them.
05.12.2007 - 06:18
ArcanaHereticae
Written by Guest on 04.12.2007 at 02:45

Totally different, so hard to compare. Personally, I model my guitar playing more after Hanneman and King. They have a more chaotic approach than Hammett who is more about laying each note carefully into place. One approach is not necessarily better than the other. They each fit their respective bands.

So fucking well-said.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
05.12.2007 - 20:08
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I support Metallica's Kirk Hammett solos. He made a big part of the Metallica sound.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
07.12.2007 - 12:01
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 03.12.2007 at 20:10

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman had the most horrible solos on Reign In Blood. Especially the song Raining Blood.

I dont consider that as a solo... just like the intro of Hell Awaits
The Haunted - DOA uses those noises as well as an ending of the song

thats like saying the riffs of many bands suck because during their endings of songs they just play some random notes as fast as they can... its just NOISE which sounds cool
07.12.2007 - 18:44
ArcanaHereticae
Written by Guest on 07.12.2007 at 12:01

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 03.12.2007 at 20:10

I dont consider that as a solo... just like the intro of Hell Awaits
The Haunted - DOA uses those noises as well as an ending of the song

thats like saying the riffs of many bands suck because during their endings of songs they just play some random notes as fast as they can... its just NOISE which sounds cool

That was my opinion. Thanks for taking it from me. Thanks alot.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
08.12.2007 - 12:49
Woutjinho
Account deleted
cool
09.12.2007 - 23:26
IllNiñoSweden
Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman is best!!
10.12.2007 - 18:12
RockeRoy
Slayers solos are cool live, but Hammet writes the best solos, i mean i bet moast people can sing you his solos if you know what i mean? i mean who don't remember how the solos on ex. Fade to black and one goes?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
19.02.2008 - 15:46
Charional
Everyone know Metallica's Guitarist plays really good! Vote for Kirk Hammet!
10.03.2008 - 18:25
Nyxgrinder
Who the fuck is that hammet dude?????? I thought his solos were writen by bob rock, I think this tread is elmo infected, the result is all upside down, the vote should be Slayer winning easily, and if in case metallica was up it should be with Mustaine, I don't think this dudes who vote for hammet even have touch a guitarr in their shorts lives. look at their ages fron 14 to 17, still have a lot to learn.
10.03.2008 - 20:42
Unerly
Account deleted
Jeff, anyday.

And what the fuck is Mustaine doing up there. He's got only 1 album with Metallica, decades ago. James should be up there, and defenetly not Mustaine. But yeah, even if James was up there, Slayer wins with ease.
11.03.2008 - 15:21
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Jeff followed by Kerry.... Slayer owns Metallica
20.03.2008 - 02:01
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
King and Hanneman,they work together,they complete each another...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
20.03.2008 - 04:22
Metal_Militia
//I voted Metallica Dave Mustaine but i would have voted for Kirk if Dave wasnt up there. Personal preference. I love Slayer but i hate their solos because i think they are way too sloppy and sound too edgy//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

20.03.2008 - 07:37
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Slayer without any doubt. Metallica have absolutely nothing on Slayer.. Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King drill Kirk into the ground
20.03.2008 - 15:08
Hangar XVIII
Kirk Hammett. Kerry King is good, but a little random for my taste. Mustaine is a god at guitar now, but during his stay in Metallica he had yet to gain his footing.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
18.04.2008 - 10:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
"One" is enough to vote Kirk
25.04.2008 - 09:41
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
WTF! Mustaine in last place?! This is disgusting! I mean, kirk hammet is good, but mustaine blow him off by speed and...and...well i just voted mustaine because is my favoriet of that list!
29.04.2008 - 13:00
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Vinnie R. on 25.04.2008 at 09:41

WTF! Mustaine in last place?! This is disgusting! I mean, kirk hammet is good, but mustaine blow him off by speed and...and...well i just voted mustaine because is my favoriet of that list!

no. with one more vote he can be at the 2econd place.
dave mustaine is the best thrash metal guitarist, i am not really into thrash metal but what i've listened to them, i'm interested in him more than the others
23.05.2008 - 12:50
Trinstar
Voted for Kirk for his superior musicianship, technical abilities, solo-writing abilities, and overall skill and sound. This is more about who's "sound" is better, because the two different bands may be BARELY similar in style, but in solos they are totally different. Hanneman and King can shred, but there is little musical value to their solos, other than the fact that for some you might be able to say they "sound cool". Kirk's (and Mustaine's) solos are much more melodic, and skillfully executed.

And I am a musician, and I have touched a guitar, and I voted for Kirk because he is the better musician.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 14:21
vatro
Account deleted
I voted for Dave Mustaine bacause his solos are more melodical than Jeff Hanneman or Kerry KIng solos
And about Kirk well he is also ok i couldn't decide between him and Dave but i think that Dave is more inovative so i voted for him
23.05.2008 - 17:17
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
slayer solos=free headache how can someone vote for them.... unless you like to hurt your ears
23.05.2008 - 17:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Slayer solos=Pure awesomness!
----