Metal Storm logo
Most underrated guitarist?

16.06.2016 - 10:57
Ganondox
This is specifically for guitarists who you find to be consistently less well regarded than you think they really deserve, not ones who are simply unknown. I personally think the most underrated metal guitarist is Disturb's Dan Donegan. Despite what his detractors claim, he's actually a fairly talented guitarist, which is pretty obvious if you hear his work outside of Disturbed such as Vandal. It's especially impressive when you considered that he is entirely self taught. Yes, Disturb's songs generally aren't that hard to play, but he can shred with the best of them, he just chooses not to for Disturb as it just doesn't fit their style and he emphasizes feel over technicality. I really can't think any other band with a guitar style quite like Disturb's, and I seriously consider him to be a competitor for the best riff maker of the 21st Century. After listening to so many far more technical bands, I keep coming back to Disturbed and just keep finding that they just have some REALLY good riffs. Yeah, plenty of really lame riffs as well, but that can be said for every metal band. So, that's what I think, who do you think is severely underrated?
20.06.2016 - 11:30
Overrwatcher
Definitely agreed with Disturbed's guitarist. The opening riff for "Stricken" is stuck in my head for eternity.

The guitarists in the party deathcore band Attila are actually pretty talented. As a whole the band instrumentally is good actually, and Fronz is a very good and super innovative vocalist. It's just that their lyrics have always been so-bad-it's-hilarious, their songwriting, production, and vocals were very weak for their first two albums, and their two latest albums are great jokes that just goes on forever and ever and ever and ever and wonder when it will end because it overstayed its welcome after the third song. The two middle albums Rage and Outlawed are pretty good. Rage was filled with really good riffs.

If images weren't so heavily monitored I would have just linked to the song and posted this image.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
21.06.2016 - 01:35
Ganondox
Written by Overrwatcher on 20.06.2016 at 11:30

Definitely agreed with Disturbed's guitarist. The opening riff for "Stricken" is stuck in my head for eternity.

The guitarists in the party deathcore band Attila are actually pretty talented. As a whole the band instrumentally is good actually, and Fronz is a very good and super innovative vocalist. It's just that their lyrics have always been so-bad-it's-hilarious, their songwriting, production, and vocals were very weak for their first two albums, and their two latest albums are great jokes that just goes on forever and ever and ever and ever and wonder when it will end because it overstayed its welcome after the third song. The two middle albums Rage and Outlawed are pretty good. Rage was filled with really good riffs.

If images weren't so heavily monitored I would have just linked to the song and posted this image.

Never really bothered with Attila, but you seem to be right on all points. Also, IMO the intro riff to Stricken is one of the best riffs ever written.
13.07.2016 - 05:06
I'm going to vote Fredrik Thordendal... not because he's particularly technically talented by metal standards, but just on a stamina basis.
21.09.2016 - 01:26
NecroToxic666
Josh Elmore of the band Cattle Decapitation. Despite the fact that he is the only guitarist for the band, he still makes their songs sound really heavy. Not only that, but he plays in a way that he is kind of doing two guitar parts, with only one guitar. In order to do that you have to be fast. Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot more than speed to be a good guitarist, but he's great and underrated. Also he has a badass guitar. So yeah, Josh Elmore.
21.09.2016 - 09:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by NecroToxic666 on 21.09.2016 at 01:26

Not only that, but he plays in a way that he is kind of doing two guitar parts, with only one guitar.

That's double punching technique.

I agree with you of Elmore. He's got a phenomenal skills and execution in songs has always been brilliant. Sure as hell people miss giving his dues considering the fact that this dude has started throwing riffs since '93 in 7000 Dying Rats, and further if you would have check out "We're Making People Happy" - you'd see his incredible work in it.

Anyhow, he will always remembered for crafting some very good songs for Cattle Decapitation but he was way ahead of league since '93.
11.10.2016 - 10:20
ToMegaTherion
I don't know about the most underrated as I'm sure he has a healthy following, Gary Holt from Exodus. That guy is excellent.
12.10.2016 - 06:02
Ganondox
Reminder that the purpose of this thread is not for your favorite guitarist that you don't see in other people's top guitarist lists, but guitars you find get a bunch of unjustified criticism.
05.11.2022 - 20:38
Joppe
Steelemeister
Probably André Corbin who played on Helstar's two major masterpieces A Distant Thunder and Nosferatu. I mean who gives this guy some credit except Jope of Steele?
----
My vision is augmented