Metal Storm logo
Master

29.03.2007 - 05:24
Mega-Slayer

The extreme metal forum cant be complete without veteran band Master!Frontman Paul Speckmann has been in the metal scene for fucking ever,since 83',or a little before that,started with Warcry,which I am not to familiar with then changed name to Master.It would be rather hard to fit a complete biography of Paul,he has also been the mastermind behind Abomination his thrash project and Death Strike old school death pioneers.He actually along with Possessed,Death,and Slaughter(Canada),is a major contributor to the creating of death metal.I dont actually own any of his albums,as his first two Master releases,first 2 Abomination and the Death Strike album are all out of print and are highly sought after,I have heard 1 song off Master's s/t,3 off "on the 7th day" and only 1 from Death Strike and Abomination.I am currently saving up for "On The 7th Day..God Created Master" which all of the guitar work is done by the great Paul Masdival.There is an interesting story behind that,Paul M. was called in 2 days before the recording process was finished,he learned the riffs practically as it was recorded and improvised the solo work.Shows you his talent,I really enjoy the solos I have heard so far.The riffing is well composed,and features some backing vocals from John Tardy,relentless double-bass work,and a unique vocal performance form Paul S..His lyrics are pretty good,mostly anti-political and about the problems of society.So I cant go on forever,what are your thoughts?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
29.03.2007 - 06:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This band is really good, but unfortunately I don't own any of their albums. All of their releases sound completely different to me, which is something most bands can't accomplish. They're a solid band overrall, but I enjoy the creative riffage the most.
29.03.2007 - 17:13
kackbratze

Definitely a great band and one of the pioneers of death metal! I own "On the Seventh Day God created... Master", the unreleased 1985 album and Death Strike's "Fuckin' Death". Especially the unreleased 1985 album (yeah, it's called like this...) is so raw and powerful. It's, well, Fuckin' Death! The song-writing is pretty simple and "in your face", but that's why I like it. They sound much like Terrorizer for who they were a major influence... I haven't heard Master's newest albums though...
29.03.2007 - 18:31
Mega-Slayer

Written by kackbratze on 29.03.2007 at 17:13

Definitely a great band and one of the pioneers of death metal! I own "On the Seventh Day God created... Master", the unreleased 1985 album and Death Strike's "Fuckin' Death". Especially the unreleased 1985 album (yeah, it's called like this...) is so raw and powerful. It's, well, Fuckin' Death! The song-writing is pretty simple and "in your face", but that's why I like it. They sound much like Terrorizer for who they were a major influence... I haven't heard Master's newest albums though...

So is the 1985 album the same as the master s/t albuim?Same songs with the original recordings right?I think it said it had their demo from 91' was bonus tracks as well.Master seems to have alot of past recording problems with nuclear blast,the 85' album was supossed to be with combat,then nuclear blast had them re-record it as the s/t in 90',and then they weren't pleased and most of the songs were then remixed by Scott Burns as the Speckmann Project,complicated.Also I haven't really got into the newer material as much as the old,even "Collection Of Souls",it just doesn't do much for me.
----

29.03.2007 - 18:57
kackbratze

Written by Mega-Slayer on 29.03.2007 at 18:31

So is the 1985 album the same as the master s/t albuim?Same songs with the original recordings right?

Well, I don't think so. I don't know, I'm no collector, I just have mp3 versions on my PC. I just no that the unreleased 1985 album was released in 2003. Their actual debut "Master" was recorded twice, but I don't know which songs it contains... The songs on the unreleased album are:

01. Master
02. Unknown Soldier
03. Mangled Dehumanization
04. Funeral Bitch
05. Terrorizer (where probably also Terrorizer's name came from )
06. Pledge of Allegiance
07. Re-Entry and Destruction
08. Constant Quarrel
09. Judgement of Will
10. Submerged in Sin
11. Cut Through the Filth
31.03.2007 - 09:31
X-pert74
Account deleted
I remember a couple years ago I won Master's Unreleased 1985 Album on Ebay, but I never got it I did buy Four More Years Of Terror for Christmas that year, though. Four More Years Of Terror is a good album, but I wish I had some of Master's earlier stuff as well. I've heard one of War Cry's demos as well because Paul Speckmann had one of their demos uploaded for free download on their Myspace.
06.04.2007 - 08:24
Trifixion
Account deleted
I'm listening to On The 7th Day... for the first time right now and man this shit is fuckin furious. Drum work is crazy, especially the double bass like you mentioned. And John Tardy doing the back up vocals is pretty crazy. A bunch of damn brutal riffs backed up by drumming that makes it that much better.
20.05.2007 - 08:13
Mega-Slayer

^^^ Yeah is pretty much one of my favorite death metal albums now.So now that I have both "The 7th Day" and the awesome s/t album,I am looking to get "Collection Of Souls".I have listened to it,and at first I wasn't liking it to much,mainly because it differed so much from the first two releases.It isn't really death metal, more of a thrash/hardcore, with a little death metal,well just really experimental,but I find myself liking it more and more.It still has Paul's harsh attitude,well written lyrics,and compared to the last two the bass is way audible.The drum work is great as it Aaron Nickeas, drummer on the "7th Day", the riffs are for the most part good,,the solos are nice,which they always are,but the production is a bit odd.So if you give it some time you may end up liking it.
----

05.07.2010 - 15:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Master are a great band. "On the Seventh Day God Created... Master" is quite a brutal album, raw and decent instrumentals but the vocals are nothing special. Still, decent. However, the 1990 self-titled release is awesome. The later albums were okay, but the best was "Unreleased 1985 Album". They play with a lot of energy and it's odd how they're so unknown.

I got The Human Machine this year... the repetition and general sound made me think of St. Anger a bit, but it's better than it. It's disappointing overall.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.07.2010 - 15:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Are On the Seventh Day and their debut album still hard to find? I found both at a local CD store for under $20 each, but I have yet to pick them up.
05.07.2010 - 15:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Dangerboner on 05.07.2010 at 15:46

Are On the Seventh Day and their debut album still hard to find? I found both at a local CD store for under $20 each, but I have yet to pick them up.

They're rare apparently. You can buy the On the Seventh Day CD on eBay for 15 dollars, but there's an Amazon offer where it's going for $13.50. You can find Master on eBay for 16 dollars...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.07.2010 - 00:55
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by vezzy on 05.07.2010 at 15:52

Written by Dangerboner on 05.07.2010 at 15:46

They're rare apparently. You can buy the On the Seventh Day CD on eBay for 15 dollars, but there's an Amazon offer where it's going for $13.50. You can find Master on eBay for 16 dollars...

AKA not rare at all if they go for so little.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.07.2010 - 21:01
worship_non
Account deleted
Master have some great lyrics.
10.07.2010 - 06:25
Blaze

They are one bad ass band \m/
----
Where is the power, where is the glory, Heavy Metal is my story.
10.07.2010 - 08:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Definitely a kick ass band. I've always enjoyed them, though I don't own anything by them. Pretty crazy a lot of their material was put out so early, before their full length ever came out, via Death Strike and Funeral Bitch. The Fuckin' Death demo still kicks ass to this day. A shame they're often overlooked.
----
The force will be with you, always.