Metal Storm logo
Dutch Biblebangers Raise Hell Over Metal Festival

31.03.2007 - 07:34
animal
Dutch heavy metal bands to rock the heck out of religious town

Quote:
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - A heavy metal rock festival hoping to hold an open-air concert in an area known as the Dutch Bible Belt received a permit on one condition: no cursing.
The Elsrock festival caused an uproar last year when it was held for the first time outside the small, heavily religious town of Rijssen, 120 kilometres east of Amsterdam.

Two religious political parties complained that heavy metal "is typified by lyrics about death and decay, and vocals that change between a hellish wail and deep grunts."

Churches protesting a new concert this year were pacified only by "the stated readiness of the organizers to make sure that no blasphemous words are used, and that the honour of God's name is not besmirched," Mayor Bort Koelewijn wrote in a letter granting the permit, made public on Tuesday.

"Should there in practice be any blasphemy, I'll ask the district attorney to prosecute."

A spokeswoman for the town said the concert was scheduled for Aug. 25, and as many as 1,200 people were expected to attend. She did not know the names of any of the bands.

Sounds a lot like the fundies here.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
31.03.2007 - 07:44
Judas
The Amputator
Who's playing?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
02.04.2007 - 10:47
Grimurc
Written by Judas on 31.03.2007 at 07:44

Who's playing?

some dutch bands, most from the outskirts of rotterdam and amsterdam, and other province locals but not worthy to go to.
i ain't going to a festival that is overshadowed by some religious fanatic hatedrivers....
----
Still drinking,-
03.04.2007 - 21:59
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Well that's just stupid...why have a festival there then and why should the organizers be held responsible for the use of blasphemous language/words?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.04.2007 - 22:16
Remus
Written by GT on 03.04.2007 at 21:59

Well that's just stupid...why have a festival there then?

Dude, for the sole purpose of ROCK - "To stick it to the man!"
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.04.2007 - 22:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Remus on 03.04.2007 at 22:16

Written by GT on 03.04.2007 at 21:59

Well that's just stupid...why have a festival there then?

Dude, for the sole purpose of ROCK - "To stick it to the man!"

Watched School Of Rock, didn't you?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.04.2007 - 22:31
Remus
Quote:
Quote:

Watched School Of Rock, didn't you?

That movie made me realise that "The Immigrant Song" was done by Led Zeppelin before Demons & Wizzards did it.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.04.2007 - 22:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Remus on 03.04.2007 at 22:31

That movie made me realise that "The Immigrant Song" was done by Led Zeppelin before Demons & Wizards did it.

Hehe, and it is a pretty funny movie overall. But we're a bit off-topic.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.04.2007 - 22:47
Remus
Quote:
Quote:

Hehe, and it is a pretty funny movie overall. But we're a bit off-topic.

Back to the topic, the metal organizers got off easy: "No cursing". Hm, what does that mean, you can have Deicide singing "Satan, my master", you can have Mayhem decapitating animals and throwing the heads at the crowd, but just as long as you don't curse! - that's kinda lineant, don't you think?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.04.2007 - 14:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well the strange thing is he is getting all tied up over Elsrock, but in April/May their will be concert at Lucky in Rijssen consisting amongst other bands God Dethroned, Gorefest, After Forever, and Delain.
If Koelewijn would take that profanity and blasphemy talk serious he would forbid those concerts... but nooooooooooo.... Lucky is a big club and money generator (it is also a discotheque) so he goes after a small festival to appease his voters.
He will never be abel to ban the festival because profanity and blasphemy are no reasons in this country to ban anything. Profanity and blaspehmy are allowed by law under the guise of Freedom of Speech.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2007 - 00:28
UpTheIrons666
I have been told by school officials(i.e Principal) that he "does not like my music, because it promotes immorality."! He said that when he was commenting on my Slayer shirt. I looked him square in the face and just started laughing. Morals are subjective and religion is the choice of the followers. If you dont like it, dont buy it, dont listen to it and dont bitch about it!
05.04.2007 - 07:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah those "bible-thumpers" attempts at stopping the metal are not gonna fly, I dont even know why they try.

....wow, triple rhyme right there! 3 points for Dr.Rock!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.04.2007 - 08:37
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
haha , a bunch of retards .... well you can find them everywhere
08.04.2007 - 11:57
aven_d
Written by UpTheIrons666 on 05.04.2007 at 00:28

I have been told by school officials(i.e Principal) that he "does not like my music, because it promotes immorality."! He said that when he was commenting on my Slayer shirt. I looked him square in the face and just started laughing. Morals are subjective and religion is the choice of the followers. If you dont like it, dont buy it, dont listen to it and dont bitch about it!

haha good man, sounds like you should be principal.

Do the (conservative) religious political parties hold much power in the Netherlands? Has there been any sway given the current feelings in europe towards immigration?

Funny to think that people are STILL trying to use extreme music as a scapegoat, hopefully intelligent people can see through this kind of political game. Where I live the media tried to persecute a police officer because he is tattooed and the vocalist for black/death metal band Dawn of Azazel, please don't insult our intelligence.
----
Think for yourself, question authority. :dfire:
10.04.2007 - 03:17
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Man, the world would be so much better if there weren't hardcore religious people around ruining concerts with bands that swear .
10.04.2007 - 09:55
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Quote:

"Should there in practice be any blasphemy, I'll ask the district attorney to prosecute."

I thought such things/ideas no longer exist in today's 'democratic' world (especially in europe).
(whoever said that, the quote above, must be punished for discrimination, oppression and religious intolerance!)
----
that which shines without names and forms...