Metal Storm logo
Tom Waits

04.04.2007 - 07:42
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I dabbled in his music a bit over the years, but recently have really started to get into his music, having purchased two CDs in the last two days. Tom Waits is a musician who started out as a jazz/blues artist with some folk thrown in before shifting his musical style completely and became more experimental in the vein of Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, as well as contributing to many other artist's recordings and movies, as well as a prolific actor.
----
10.04.2007 - 17:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
His life is worth of living lol
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.04.2007 - 07:53
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
It'd be nice if you could post something worthwhile about Tom Waits in this thread.
----
16.03.2008 - 07:06
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
His music is totally beautiful, their first works. Te last ones has been more strange but amazing too!
17.03.2008 - 16:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like him not all sonsg but like those what I know
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.04.2008 - 05:50
ASiema113
Man what a nice suprise to see this name on the site, I've just recently began listening to him. I've heard a couple albums my friends own & some of his songs on the radio, and I really dig his sound & those raspy blues vocals of his. I recommend if you like Waits you might want to check out Jason Websley as well.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
17.10.2008 - 13:25
Yossarian
It is very strange how I got to know "Tom Waits". First time I found it horrible. A girl that I was going out to took a tape to my house. She said it was great for kissing and etc. I asked her to turn it off. "Only metal bands can shout" I said. Then 2 girls I was dating to liked the singer. I found it astonishing. Then when I meet a girl my first question became "do you like Tom Waits?". It was as if that singer was chasing me to convert me to one of their fans. Another 2 girls and I fell. I recommend "Hearts of Saturday nights", "Rain dogs", "Swordfish trombones" and "Alice". Perhaps you will also like Rickie Lee Jones, Nick Cave and Jeff Buckley if you like Mr Waits.
06.01.2009 - 08:05
Metal_Militia
//Tom waits is one of the most true and pure musicians/ artists around. He is a musical genius and there aren't very many others that can equal. He is the true definition of "alternative" and deserves a little more credit i think. His music is so definitive and you can always say "hey, thats a Tom Waits song!" because its so distinct. Everyone can find something to grasp a hold of that Waits does if you just give it a fair try. Truly incredible and everyone should give him a listen!//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

06.01.2009 - 13:49
Hellkommando
I grew up listening to Tom Waits and have all his albums, I think he is amazing, simply love his stuff. My father saw him live in the early 80s and said he was brilliant.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
07.01.2009 - 04:43
Metal_Militia
Written by Hellkommando on 06.01.2009 at 13:49

I grew up listening to Tom Waits and have all his albums, I think he is amazing, simply love his stuff. My father saw him live in the early 80s and said he was brilliant.

//I believe it! I bet his live shows are amazing. He rolled through Columbus this past year but i couldnt go because it was and incredibly small venue and the ticks were through the roof! Your right about Waits man. Genius he is//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

30.01.2009 - 21:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
31.01.2009 - 11:19
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Tom Waits has the most ridiculous voice ever. helllla deep ass whiskey voice.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.02.2009 - 01:21
Metal_Militia
Hes full of bourbon an cigarrette smoke
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

09.02.2009 - 12:01
Sigyn
miaregine.com
I like Tom Waits.. His lyrics are well-written. The Piano Has Been Drinking is amazing :-D He is no doubt a legend. He is also a great actor! Domino, Dracula++
----
www.miaregine.com

Delirium and Delight
10.02.2009 - 19:40
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I love the music, and though I'm quite picky about lyrics, I don't dislike his that much. Although his voice is hard to take in sometimes, can't really listen to a whole album yet. But there is a really REALLY good fan made video of his song 'Poor Edward', I'd like to share it with you, although it's fan made, when I first watched it I actually thought it was a real Tom Waits vid. Anyway I'm not sure anymore if I can post the video here so I rather leave a link for whoever is interested. I assure you it's really worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGci5Tlur9o
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
12.02.2009 - 12:26
Sigyn
miaregine.com
Wow! That's good! Thanks, Linak!
----
www.miaregine.com

Delirium and Delight
10.03.2009 - 01:28
Metal_Militia
Written by Linak on 10.02.2009 at 19:40

I love the music, and though I'm quite picky about lyrics, I don't dislike his that much. Although his voice is hard to take in sometimes, can't really listen to a whole album yet. But there is a really REALLY good fan made video of his song 'Poor Edward', I'd like to share it with you, although it's fan made, when I first watched it I actually thought it was a real Tom Waits vid. Anyway I'm not sure anymore if I can post the video here so I rather leave a link for whoever is interested. I assure you it's really worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGci5Tlur9o

Have you checked out his earlier stuff before he messed up his voice???? In my opinion, some of the greatest music of all time was recorded by Tom Waits between 1974-1979ish. Check out Closing Time, The Heart Of Saturday Night, Blue Valentines and for something a little more accessable, The Asylum Years Compilation. Be sure to check out the songs, Martha, San Diego Serenade, Diamonds On My Windshield, Ol' 55, Grapefruit Moon and Burma Shave. Incredible
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

13.03.2009 - 07:33
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@Metal_Militia: And so I shall, thank you for the recommendations!
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
14.03.2009 - 19:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
31.03.2009 - 04:06
Metal_Militia
Written by Linak on 13.03.2009 at 07:33

@Metal_Militia: And so I shall, thank you for the recommendations!

No problem Let me know what you think
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

12.04.2009 - 18:12
therest
Tom Traubert's Blues is the only song that ever got tears out of me. That was the first time I ever heard Tom Waits. At least the first time I had enough privacy to get really sinked into his music. Tom Waits really is something. A warning for the ones, who haven't listened to him too much yet: too much Tom Waits at night with just some whisky and cigarettes to keep you company, will cause permanent brain damage. It's one of those things, everyone should do at least once in their lives, I think.
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
03.05.2009 - 04:10
MassacreofWords
Shakespearian
Idk if I like him yet or not. I had started listening to his stuff back when I saw Coffee and Cigarrettes. I wanted to try and like it but it's just the quirkyness of alot of his stuff that I can't get past
----
HORROR METAL
08.01.2011 - 17:34
Malevolent-Jim
He's become my favorite musicians of all time. I think anyone who has ever gone through heartache or depression can relate to his music. And While his voice isn't easy to grasp, that uncomfortable bourbon-laced grunt of his says more about his music than any style of metal vocals I have ever heard. His music has always changed after each album which I like, its gone from blues, to jazz to folk to experimental rock.

I recommend his albums : Blue Valentine, Rain Dogs, Closing Time, Franks Wild Years and most of all Mule Variations. All amazing.

@Therest : Tom Traubert's Blues is easily his saddest song ever in my opinion. It was also one of the only songs to reduce me to tears.
08.01.2011 - 20:24
IronAngel
No love for Bone Machine? I think it's his most complete work to date, and something I figure metalheads would easily like. For me, though, Rain Dogs takes the cake because of several amazing songs. Swordfishtrombones is more consistent and innovative, but it simply doesn't have as many brilliant songs as Rain Dogs.
09.01.2011 - 11:41
Malevolent-Jim
Yeah I can see what you mean about Bone Machine. It was probably one of his darkest albums which any metalhead should appreciate. Not my favourite though. The songs "Such A Scream" and "Black Wings" and "Goin Out West" however, were genius.
11.01.2011 - 11:35
JD
Account deleted
I've heard some of his songs, weird how his voice changed! anyway favorite song: "Blue Valentine"
12.01.2011 - 14:56
HERMANN
I like his voice.........
----
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
12.01.2011 - 17:02
IronAngel
I don't get Mule Variations. It seems rather bland and inconsistent at first listen. I guess I'll give it more spins due to the recommendations here and elsewhere.
20.01.2011 - 21:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 12.01.2011 at 17:02

I don't get Mule Variations. It seems rather bland and inconsistent at first listen. I guess I'll give it more spins due to the recommendations here and elsewhere.

Mule Variations is probably my favourite album I've heard of his so far. My only complaint is that it's too long for it's own good. 70 minutes that could have been cut down by at least 20 minutes, easily. I found 7 songs that I could have done without. The rest I love though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.08.2011 - 02:21
IronAngel
New single "Bad As Me" is out, and album will be released 25th October (I think). Also check out his funny Private Listening Party video he released on the subject.

The single is on Spotify, for example, and sounds great.