Metal Storm logo

23.05.2006 - 17:29
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
i was searchin some names at members lists and i saw that some members have POINTS some have 0 points in fact most of the members have 0 points,
so i jsut wanna ask how someone get those points and why
thx
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
23.05.2006 - 17:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
You get those points from adding info to MS. You might have noticed, all pics, members etc. are gone.

For example, go to the band: Amorphis. Click on whatever you want to add, that could be a single that is not in the disco yet, a picture-cover of an album, a (ex-)band member, whatever you think is missing. All those 'submissions' are send to a panel which can only be entered by the staff members such as Promonex & Deadsouman, who check your submission. If they accept it, you will get some points.

Those points could be used to choose future staff members, and they give certain extra permissions.

Copied from the FAQ:

Forum report - 1 point
Band / album / video / trivia edit - 1 point
Add album / video / trivia - 3 points
Edit lyrics - 2 points
Add review - 15 points
Add article / concert review - 20 points
Add news / event - 4 points

There you go.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.05.2006 - 18:39
__Az__
Anyone have any idea yet what these will be used for?
23.05.2006 - 19:12
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
The only idea we have now is custom titles. Of course, it will also help us when deciding who to promote to Elite / Staff.
23.05.2006 - 20:34
__Az__
Written by Ivan on 23.05.2006 at 19:12

The only idea we have now is custom titles. Of course, it will also help us when deciding who to promote to Elite / Staff.

Sounds like a good idea... I'd better get helping then...

Also, I think what would be a good idea would be to present ideas about changing the website as a poll... Those with higher amounts of points have more say in the polls... For example, their answer may count as 5 or more depending on amount of points...
24.05.2006 - 00:01
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
@Az:No that is bias to any voting structure.

A quick question about the Points, i wrote some reviews when i used to be on Metal Archives.
Now that we can upload our own reviews, i think thats a great idea.
Ive uploaded two of them for Opera IX and Edenbridge early last week, i was wondering if they were viewed yet, they were eaither realy bad, and cast aside, or still unviewed somewhere, as i havent recieved an accept or reject notification.
24.05.2006 - 00:51
__Az__
At least people will want to help the site more...

It will almost be like having 'shares'
24.05.2006 - 01:37
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 24.05.2006 at 00:01

A quick question about the Points, i wrote some reviews when i used to be on Metal Archives.
Now that we can upload our own reviews, i think thats a great idea.
Ive uploaded two of them for Opera IX and Edenbridge early last week, i was wondering if they were viewed yet, they were eaither realy bad, and cast aside, or still unviewed somewhere, as i havent recieved an accept or reject notification.

For now the proofreaders have put all guest reviews on hold. However, none of them will get lost - eventually, every review will be checked and either accepted or rejected. Either way, you will receive a notification, so there's no need to worry.
24.05.2006 - 08:27
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
No worries man, thanks!

@Horle: That would be a nice help!
26.05.2006 - 16:35
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
oh thx for answer guys
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
08.07.2006 - 08:06
matos
i have a suggestion: what if there were negative points too ?
Why? -> For stupid deeds/posts on the forum.
Example: someone insults forum staff and instead of getting a warning (saying: "If you do that again, you'll get banned !"), the sinner would get - 50 points (you pick the number) and when one has -100 points he/she gets banned.

Oh but that has a bad side too, someone who has collected a lot points could insult everyone, anytime...
well maybe the number of penalty points should be higher, perhaps 500 ?

ok, just a suggestion, think about it, improve it...
----
09.07.2006 - 19:25
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Dangerboner on 08.07.2006 at 08:18

I would have a lot of points but it never works for me. I'm on the computer all day at work doing nothing, so I have the opportunity to contribute greatly but it never fucking works.

It could never be able to work when you just add or change the pic of bands, albums and whatever...try to follow these instructions
11.01.2007 - 02:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I Made two Band edits, I Added Ray Alder to "Redemption" as well as I think a Band Line up for them, and I know for a fact that they were accepted, as I recieved the Notifications for them in aproval, but I didn't get my community points, anyone know why this is?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.01.2007 - 03:29
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.01.2007 at 02:41

I Made two Band edits, I Added Ray Alder to "Redemption" as well as I think a Band Line up for them, and I know for a fact that they were accepted, as I recieved the Notifications for them in aproval, but I didn't get my community points, anyone know why this is?

Did you hit the "Recount stats" button? Maybe they didn't show up yet...
----
Bitch! Please
19.01.2007 - 15:12
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I added around 10 band logos (I don't remember all exactly), about a month or two back, but got no points for it.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
19.01.2007 - 15:39
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Paganblood on 19.01.2007 at 15:12

I added around 10 band logos (I don't remember all exactly), about a month or two back, but got no points for it.

The point system for logos was not working then. I'm not sure it's working now but you may try.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
20.01.2007 - 12:24
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by wrathchild on 19.01.2007 at 15:39

Written by Paganblood on 19.01.2007 at 15:12

The point system for logos was not working then. I'm not sure it's working now but you may try.

Anyway, its fun adding them, whether we get points or not.
----
25.01.2007 - 23:44
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Not to go off-topic but who cares about these points? Is your life really so pathetic that you feel the need to attempt to add info to a website to gain points and possibly get put in a position of authority? Even worse is that people complain that they added two band logo's and didn't receive their two points! OH NOES!

If you cared about compiling a useful archive of metal music, you'd help fill in the gaps at metal archives. Thats where everyone will automatically check for metal information, not here, and that's where most info is copied from to this website.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.01.2007 - 09:42
iaberis
Advice Troll
Indeed Tommy Lee has some point. The points don't offer you anything. I just add without looking if I get points or not. I add because I like to do that...
About the other site you mentioned, we all know it sucks so much and I'd never be contributing to that... Maybe that's because of their sense of "defining" what is metal and what's not...
----
Bitch! Please
26.01.2007 - 20:07
wrathchild
Staff
Please, don't go off-topic by mentioning MA. Every site has some good and bad points, including MS.

As for people caring about points, well, some do, some don't, I don't see where's the problem with that.
Also, we're still looking for new ways of "using" those points, so keep on filling this thread with ideas!
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
26.01.2007 - 20:39
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by wrathchild on 26.01.2007 at 20:07

Also, we're still looking for new ways of "using" those points, so keep on filling this thread with ideas!

I guess a ticket for a concert would be great... we could write a review for that too, gaining an extra +20
----
Bitch! Please
01.02.2007 - 00:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
or maybe the points getting prizes or something, like every 1000 points you acquire you get a metalstorm tshirt or a cd or something.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.02.2007 - 00:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Good idea. Can we have your bank account number please? Someone is going to pay for this.

Sorry, instead of making lame jokes I'll try to think of something. Of course there is always the idea of buying off bans (this person could use that, wonder what he did -> http://www.metalstorm.ee/users/profile.php?user_id=5231)

We could use them for profile updates. I remember there once was this idea of Darth Satanious to name your profile. For example 'Lair Of The Wicked White Worm' (if you're a big God Dethroned fan). This would make the profiles again a bit more personal and this would also be another option for CP's. What do you think of it?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.02.2007 - 02:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by matos on 08.07.2006 at 08:06

i have a suggestion: what if there were negative points too ?
Why? -> For stupid deeds/posts on the forum.
Example: someone insults forum staff and instead of getting a warning (saying: "If you do that again, you'll get banned !"), the sinner would get - 50 points (you pick the number) and when one has -100 points he/she gets banned.

Oh but that has a bad side too, someone who has collected a lot points could insult everyone, anytime...
well maybe the number of penalty points should be higher, perhaps 500 ?

ok, just a suggestion, think about it, improve it...

Not a bad idea, but instead of working with a definite number of points, maybe working in percents...then again someone with 2 community points would be king shit.
----
- George Carlin
23.02.2007 - 02:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 22.02.2007 at 00:54

Good idea. Can we have your bank account number please? Someone is going to pay for this.

Sorry, instead of making lame jokes I'll try to think of something. Of course there is always the idea of buying off bans (this person could use that, wonder what he did -> http://www.metalstorm.ee/users/profile.php?user_id=5231)

We could use them for profile updates. I remember there once was this idea of Darth Satanious to name your profile. For example 'Lair Of The Wicked White Worm' (if you're a big God Dethroned fan). This would make the profiles again a bit more personal and this would also be another option for CP's. What do you think of it?

Yeah I see your point, then maybe set it ridiculously high....like 10 000 points, hell if you spend that much time on metalstorm i think you deserve a tshirt.
----
- George Carlin
23.02.2007 - 03:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
He could also get a job and with that money buy a hundred shirts. I can see where you're coming from and it might be a good idea. If Ivan would be millionare. I heard it is already costing him a lot, more than he earns with ads and stuff.
----

23.02.2007 - 13:43
iaberis
Advice Troll

Of course there is always the idea of buying off bans (this person could use that, wonder what he did -> http://www.metalstorm.ee/users/profile.php?user_id=5231)

I heard rumors of stealing reviews and posting them for himself... Something also known with the code name "plagiarism" ...
----
Bitch! Please
23.02.2007 - 20:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah ok, thanks.
----

24.02.2007 - 05:29
Paganblood
The Aryaputra

How sad! so much points but still...
----
15.04.2007 - 16:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just wanted to let you know I have 666 Community Points right now. How kvlt is that!!
----