Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

28.12.2016 - 16:19
Zap
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.12.2016 at 16:06

Tbh it's a bit tame for my tastes but I can see people who had a strong emotional attachment to The Devil's Blood maybe getting something from it.

Yeah, never was a huge fan of those guys. As for Dool, sounds a bit tame indeed. It's okay but if I had heard these songs before going to Roadburn I would have never checked them out. I just went in blind with no idea who these guys were.
28.12.2016 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Megapost incoming of me bleeding Bandcamp dry. Omitted a few that didn't quite seem worth posting (and to save space).

Couple of very decent sounding stoner / desert rock records, one of which has a great band name.

Set and Setting have a very interesting sound. Seems like one part psychedelic post-metal but another part sort of black metal, on one track at least. Very nice.

Sundays & Cybele play a kaleidoscopic psyche-rock sound from Japan. Not really metal but fits nicely in with the theme. Both are instrumental.

Post-rock / post-metal from Spain. Chilled and relaxing sound.

Spacious prog with a djenty edge. Vocals might be offputing for some but they're fairly light on this track

Very high quality sounding atmospheric death doom and equally decent sounding sludge doom.

Couple of metallic hardcore releases. The Drowned God sounds like it's going to have an ambient component whereas Jagged Vision are much punchier and more direct.

Really cool sounding tech-death / djent thing. Instrumental and has a really airy and expansive sound.

The Drip are hardcore-laden grindcore and hit very hard.

Somewhat classic sounding, mid-paced black metal that sounds of high quality to me.

Power Trip are some very ballsey sounding thrash but with a super heavy sound and vocals that have impact for once.

28.12.2016 - 19:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Gosh someone quickly open that non-metal thread please.

Anyway quite interested in those last 3 recs. Power Trip's last album from 2013- if I'm correct, was quite fun and good.
28.12.2016 - 19:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Only 1 isn't really enough metal. Pretty good average when it's crammed between 13 metal / metallic releases
28.12.2016 - 19:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
But guess what, bandcamp isn't dry yet.

Very percussive Jazzy experimental metal with tons of sax, piano and electronic(?) influences.

Utopianisti - Brutopianisti

28.12.2016 - 19:46
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Some heavy and punchy metallic hardcore for my part.

Castor's Hollow - Sleep Inflicted

28.12.2016 - 19:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Even more awesome hardcore. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be one of the best albums in the genre next year.

Cogent - Cogent

28.12.2016 - 19:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Self-produced and engineered by Dan Byers, "Crestfallen" is six tracks clocking in at 30 minutes of sickening, metallic doom. Having shared the stage with bands such as Primitive Man, The Body, Jucifer, Celeste and many more, they quickly became the go-to unsigned band in Florida for nationally touring acts. Their sound is inspired by Dystopia, His Hero is Gone, and Laudanum, lending a humble maturity beyond three years."

Quite raw, fuzzy and dissonant sludge doom from Prosthetic Records. The one track streaming definitely raises the expectations.

Weltesser - Crestfallen

28.12.2016 - 20:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Stoner strikes again! Excellent punkish vocals and rock solid riffage with colorful presentation.

Dryland - Dryland

28.12.2016 - 20:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
And here's some even better, bassy and tasty australian stoner doom.

Lizzard Wizzard - Total War Power Bastard

28.12.2016 - 20:32
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This could be massive. Black/death metal from Australia. The one track streaming right now sounds like Portal with cleaner production but since murky production is all that is about Portal so yeah this could atleast turn out a good extreme metal record. Will have to wait for the full thing and see.

Miserist - Miserist S​/​T

28.12.2016 - 21:04
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Female fronted melodic doom. Definitely good vocals possibly multiple singers.

Cyclocosmia - Immured EP

Spanish Sludge on the Portugal label, Third I Rex. Sounds decent enough.

Oddhums - The Inception EP

And finally some raw black metal from the awesome Signal Rex records. Compilation of previously unreleased tracks.

Cripta Oculta - Lost Tracks

28.12.2016 - 21:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.12.2016 at 20:32

This could be massive. Black/death metal from Australia. The one track streaming right now sounds like Portal with cleaner production but since murky production is all that is about Portal so yeah this could atleast turn out a good extreme metal record. Will have to wait for the full thing and see.

Miserist - Miserist S​/​T

Missed this one, sounds promising indeed.
28.12.2016 - 21:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah quite some namedropping they do with the genre tags for that on bandcamp. Will be excellent if it could live up to even half of what they claim.
28.12.2016 - 22:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"BLOOD HARVEST RECORDS is proud to present TOMB MOLD's highly anticipated debut album, Primordial Malignity. Just last year, BLOOD HARVEST reissued the band's debut demo, The Bottomless Perdition, to widespread acclaim - and rightly so, as this four-song opening salvo displayed an exquisitely ghastly version of death metal that seemingly had been rotting in the earth for centuries. And yet, for however much that demo was something of a love letter to '90s Finnish death metal, it merely suggested the grim 'n' grandiose things to come from TOMB MOLD on their astutely titled debut full-length, Primordial Malignity.

The first thing that becomes apparent upon pushing "play" on Primordial Malignity is the production: robust, rounded, utterly crushing yet clear, and yet not sacrificing one whit of TOMB MOLD's early, eldritch filth. If anything, this sonic articulation brings further elucidation to the Canadian duo's increasingly nuanced craft, their strive for the ultimate in classic Metal of Death songwriting. For TOMB MOLD are still a duo of guitarist/bassist Derrick Vella and vocalist/drummer Max Klebanoff, who've have played together in various bands in the past and retain their intense, enduring love for death metal whilst being deeply embedded within a DIY framework. Across the eight swift tracks which comprise the 32-minute Primordial Malignity, a sense of the familiar vs. foreign is waged, that whiff of death metalled deja vu that's soon erased with a foul, fetid freshness of approach. Indeed, the duo's Finnish-isms are foul and fetid here, but are shot through with a preternaturally adept knowledge of what made such classic death metal work - and, crucially, how to expand upon it without compromising its essence. But most of all, TOMB MOLD truly make good on their moniker by crafting malodorous, malignant landscapes that bubble and boil with dread and disease, tension and terror, and finally the sweet release of DEATH."

Old school swedish death metal on Blood Harvest records.

Tomb Mold - Primordial Malignity

28.12.2016 - 23:51
3rdWorld
China was a neat
US blackened thrash. Sounds pretty decent. Love the monochromatic cover. Those never ever get boring.

Suppressive Fire - Nature Of War

29.12.2016 - 10:39
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Not sure why nobody here hasn't noticed this yet. Upcoming ninth album from these guys. The one track streaming now sounds fiercely aggressive with amazing vocals and a touch of melody.

Darkest Hour - Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora

29.12.2016 - 10:50
Paz
Elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.12.2016 at 19:16

Gosh someone quickly open that non-metal thread please.

Done, you lazy bastards

http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=63684
29.12.2016 - 12:41
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Thrash/crust/d-beat.

Gravehuffer - Your Fault

29.12.2016 - 12:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather good sounding black metal with some post-hardcore and post-metal leanings. Very nice sound and quite acerbic even.

Not a huge fan of Iron Reagan but I know a lot of people are.

Good quality black metal / meloblack I'd say.

Dissonant death metal from Hong Kong. Rather good sounding stuff, definitely have the chops. (2016 release it seems)

Heavy stoner sludge with a wicked sound.

More psychedelic stoner with dig worthy vocals.

Super vicious blackened crust with no album name as yet. I suspect this will be good. Nice Gustave Dore art too.

Not quite my thing but sounds like very good progressive metal and I could even appreciate it given enough tries. Maybe for Dream Theater fans?

Why did the lobster blush? Because the sea weed. Heavy but groovy sludge with super acerbic vocals and slight psyche elements.

I remember posting the demo of this ages ago. Seems like the final thing will be out next year. Damn incredible sounding blackened death. Love the piercing death growls and the numerous moments of euphoric melody and atmospherics. Even though there's still a couple of songs to go it's the best album I've heard for next year.

Sludge with really anthemic vocal style that really appeals to me. Song by song teaser.

29.12.2016 - 12:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Lock Up track on Listenable records sounds fantastic.

29.12.2016 - 14:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=4365] on 29.12.2016 at 12:52

More psychedelic stoner with dig worthy vocals.

Both links are to the image.
29.12.2016 - 14:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.12.2016 at 14:12

Both links are to the image.

Aaand feexed
29.12.2016 - 18:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Some decent quality standard forest black metal from Finland. Nice colorful art but that slice completely ruins the fun of it.

Goatmoon - Stella Polaris

29.12.2016 - 19:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
In case anyone is interested in this sort of thing, that instrumental progressive metal guy Keith Merrow is teaming up with ex-The Faceless and current Glass Casket, Black Crown Initiate guitarist Wes Hauch for an album.

29.12.2016 - 20:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Chaotic Italian black metal punk with 'Italian esoteric-folkloristic themes and lyrics.' A conceptul recording of sorts, in the words of the band, 'The nature of a creature stuck halfway between bestial and divine ,carrying inside these two poles and leaning toward one direction or the other.
The coexistence of submission to animal instinct and the seek of something higher than mere reality. A walking paradox that uses eternal inner conflict as an engine, like a star uses nucleosynthesis to explode and shine; Oscillating and writhing to domine and break this duality."

Blackened hardcore metal from the cassette label Caligari Records. Sounds very accurate to what they describe. Good stuff. And added awesomeness for being on tape.

Cioran - Bestiale Battito Divino

30.12.2016 - 06:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Recording was done live off the floor in one take, all mistakes etc were included and no extensive editing has taken place. What you hear is what we are."

Blackened crust metal/d-beat from Alberta, Canada. Solid quality.

Murdrum - Murdrum EP

"Upcoming Reality" is the crushing debut album of progressive technical death metal outfit Trepid Elucidation, from Portugal. The band isn't shy of displaying their influences through the 37 minutes that make the album: you can definitely know they drink from references such as Death, Decrepit Birth, Obscura and Beyond Creation. A tested formula with astonishing results: "Upcoming Reality" is massive in terms of stringwork and the rhythm section keeps up with precision. Take a listen and get this album today!"

Actually the songwriting and riffs are decent with focus on songwriting and decent chord progression instead of all out wankery or mindless speed playing but the vocals are too brutal death metal-ish and pig squeal-ish. Those could've had some better attention.

Trepid Elucidation - Upcoming Reality

Fuzzed out instrumental stoner doom from Italy. Really cinematic cover. Could've really used a female vocals with horror lyrics. Would've worked perfectly and made the album more effective.

Egon Swharz - In The Mouth Of Madness

30.12.2016 - 20:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Some decent, if unspectacular things just to keep the ball rolling.

Very tight sounding blackened death.

And another, basically.

Stoner with a very distinctive alternative / grunge metal edge.

Very varied sounding sludge metal, that incorporates a number of vocal styles, from both men and women, as well as featuring some black metal elements. Could be quite interesting actually.

Expansive post-metal. Seems to be instrumental and occasionally quite heavy.

More nasty, heavy crust that hits like a lorry.

Some rather good and varied metalcore. Assuming you can tolerate the vocals.

Atmospheric black metal but with clean female singing.

Some very lo-fi black / doom / death stuff. Vocals bring it down a bit but some decent chaos.

30.12.2016 - 20:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=4365] on 30.12.2016 at 20:19

Some very lo-fi black / doom / death stuff. Vocals bring it down a bit but some decent chaos.

"Originally self-released in July 2016 via hand-assembled tapes (both first and second press sold out)"

Also looks like the digital version was released on Dec 14. 2016. Doesn't count.
30.12.2016 - 20:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.12.2016 at 20:34

"Originally self-released in July 2016 via hand-assembled tapes (both first and second press sold out)"

Also looks like the digital version was released on Dec 14. 2016. Doesn't count.

Kinda glad actually; not really keen on it!