Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - Announce New Studio Album For 2017

The teasing/trolling seems to be over for Wintersun as their label Nuclear Blast Records just announced the release of their new album in 2017. The masters of melodic symphonies are finally back. In 2017, almost five years after the release of their Time I creation, the band announces the completion of the recording of their upcoming third studio album. On this yet untitled record, the Finns alongside songwriting master Jari Mäenpää "once again break the boundaries of metal and add a new and majestic twist to the history of music."

In the band's own words - be prepared for the end of a long wait and for... "it": "What is 'it'? It's 2017 folks, and it's going to be a great year! Time for some big Wintersun news? Yes, it is! When we said that 'it is done', we did not mean Time II, but we meant a new album for sure! Time II won't be the next Wintersun album, because of reasons you already know from past updates and interviews.

"So what is IT? IT is a new album and it is 100% done! And no, that's not the name of the album. This album will be something new and different, but equally great or perhaps even better in some ways. Over 53 minutes of solid Wintersun material (with no intro tracks) and with a killer concept!

"This album will be the 3rd full length Wintersun album. We will release the name of it soon and other details such as the track list etc. We're gonna start putting the pieces of the puzzle together for you guys, how it's going to be released and what will happen... It will be a whole new experience! It will all make sense to you very soon!

"And this album is not the only thing we've done, not by a long shot! In fact your minds will be blown soon! That is a guarantee. So click the notifications on in our Wintersun page, if you don't want to miss out on the new album! (Because of Facebook algorithm reach limit). Thanks guys!
"

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 04.01.2017 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 61   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 399 users
05.01.2017 - 09:39
Litvin
>Time II won't be the next Wintersun album, because of reasons you already know from past updates and interviews.
What reasons?
05.01.2017 - 10:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Litvin on 05.01.2017 at 09:39

>Time II won't be the next Wintersun album, because of reasons you already know from past updates and interviews.
What reasons?

One of them was Nuclear Blast wouldn't build Jari his own studio.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.01.2017 - 13:02
Litvin
Written by M C Vice on 05.01.2017 at 10:44

What reasons?

Yeah I am aware of Jari complained he do not have his own studio, but why the new album is not titled Time II any more?
05.01.2017 - 13:28
FeskarN
Written by Litvin on 05.01.2017 at 13:02

What reasons?

Yeah I am aware of Jari complained he do not have his own studio, but why the new album is not titled Time II any more?

Because of those Time II songs need better equipment (computer power) that he doesn't have, so thats why they are releasing a other album this year instead of Time II.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
05.01.2017 - 15:22
mariano
Written by FeskarN on 05.01.2017 at 13:28

What reasons?

Because of those Time II songs need better equipment (computer power) that he doesn't have, so thats why they are releasing a other album this year instead of Time II.

Really? Practically any regular computer nowadays can run a decent DAW software which would handle hundreds of tracks and virtual instruments like nothing...
05.01.2017 - 15:25
Sword_Chant
Personally i'm looking forward to this, but it's ashame there's still no Time II.
05.01.2017 - 15:55
Bananatron
CAN'T WAIT XD
06.01.2017 - 00:01
Opethian
BRING IT, JARI
06.01.2017 - 01:40
drummercrm
Omg i'll just mix Time II for him then! WTF
06.01.2017 - 02:04
FeskarN
Written by mariano on 05.01.2017 at 15:22

Written by FeskarN on 05.01.2017 at 13:28

What reasons?

Really? Practically any regular computer nowadays can run a decent DAW software which would handle hundreds of tracks and virtual instruments like nothing...

yeah, i know but jari got ridiculues amount of tracks and he also wanted a studio so he can re-amp the guitars by himself. He just want full control of everything..
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
06.01.2017 - 02:33
Written by raintrance on 05.01.2017 at 09:11

Written by AngelofDeth on 05.01.2017 at 08:23

Written by M C Vice on 05.01.2017 at 07:40

Written by raintrance on 05.01.2017 at 04:08

Don't understand all the negativity at all. 2 amazing albums, can't wait for the next. 'The hell's wrong w/ people?

All the claims that Time 2 is nearly finished (it was claimed to be finished at one point) over the years has made folks very sceptical about Wintersun's ability to deliver on their promises.
The band, not the fans, need this to be released this year.

Time was promised for more than half a decade before anything actually happened. Then we learned we would only get half of the album and Time II was promised to come 6 months after Time I and it's now half a decade later again...

All true, but the music will most likely be worth the wait. The only thing I'm skeptical of is the new live arrangement...would much rather see Jari playing guitar in concert.

No kind of music is worth half-a-freaking decade to listen to. This guy thinks he music is extraordinary. Well it's not so chillax!

I'm enjoying their trolling now so i couldn't care less whether they ever release an album again
06.01.2017 - 03:57
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by raintrance on 05.01.2017 at 09:11

All true, but the music will most likely be worth the wait. The only thing I'm skeptical of is the new live arrangement...would much rather see Jari playing guitar in concert.

Well you asked why the negativity so that's why - Jari has literally broken hundred of album promises to his fans.

To each his own. I thought Time I was pretty sloppy tbh. If Jari had taken out half of the instrumental tracks it would have been a pretty cool album but as it is the album has way too much going on and Jari's terrible mixing skills don't help. Like most other's, I'll keep an ear out a couple times a year for new Wintersun but at this point I'm not expecting much except more than the same ole drama from heavy metal's very own Kim Kardashian, Jari.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
06.01.2017 - 11:59
Sojgenske
Jari doesn't owe anything to anyone of us.
Wintersun is going to release a new album, that's good news, period.
06.01.2017 - 14:53
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Sojgenske on 06.01.2017 at 11:59

Wintersun is going to release a new album, that's good news, period.

He does not but discrediting oneself as a person never helps. He much rather comes across now as a moneydrain and a hypocrite with false expectations than a real artist who wants to put his music out. And unfortunately, people's perception of him affects how well they will take his music.
----
06.01.2017 - 19:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Irritable Ted on 06.01.2017 at 19:46

what a talented dick.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.01.2017 - 23:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^lol, looks like classic MS again.
07.01.2017 - 16:04
Overrwatcher
I want to get off of Mr. Mäenpää's wild ride.

But the ride never ends.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
08.01.2017 - 01:42
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Overrwatcher on 07.01.2017 at 16:04

I want to get off of Mr. Mäenpää's wild ride.

But the ride never ends.

He'll promise you can get off at the next stop. But then he keeps moving the next stop further away. Always just out of reach.
Just a little further.
Forever.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.01.2017 - 18:02
Andreas

So, when you promise something to someone, you owe that person nothing?
Must be weird for you to read about musicians promising new albums then.
09.01.2017 - 18:13
erat
Some people are fucking stupid. If you don't care, stop following him. Yeah he is a dick, he makes promises which he doesn't keep. But it's not like you actively waiting for another album, TIME passes anyways. You can hate the guy but if you like his music, you can just ignore him and if he delivers something, listen it. Yeah he has these great excuses like "I don't have enough RAM." and can be called out for it, but come on guys.

Anyways, excited for "New Album I".
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
13.01.2017 - 13:11
Sojgenske
Written by Andreas on 08.01.2017 at 18:02

So, when you promise something to someone, you owe that person nothing?
Must be weird for you to read about musicians promising new albums then.

Jari promised us a new album ? Well, here it comes.
13.01.2017 - 13:52
@gent_-_orange
Written by mz on 04.01.2017 at 18:53

"once again break the boundaries of metal and add a new and majestic twist to the history of music."
nice! how modest is this guy.

Wintersun haven't even accomplished that for a first time.
13.01.2017 - 15:39
Andreas
Written by Sojgenske on 13.01.2017 at 13:11

Jari promised us a new album ? Well, here it comes.

It's not about the albums themselves; it's about the pattern of expectation he creates when he gives an indication of a release date. Still indications you might say correctly. But there have been a lot of those instances, with only two albums in 13 years as a result. Which is a bit poor considering his over enthusiastic announcements over the years.
Don't get me wrong, personally I don't really mind that behaviour. But it's illogical to state that Jari hasn't created forementioned pattern of expectation, which can easily be qualified as promises he didn't keep.

Oh, and it has to be said: by now I wouldn't believe anything he promises as long as the label hasn't released a statement with a release date for the new album. No personal grudge or anything, just common sense.
13.01.2017 - 22:39
EmeraldSword
Amazing that Mechina can bust out a highly mixed album at the beginning of nearly every year, yet it takes 5+ years for Jari.
14.01.2017 - 10:06
Dave FC
This guy is amazing!
Keeps fooling people around 5 years with that Time II bullshit; he thinks he is a guitar god even mocking his partner in the band (Teemu will take the solo guitarist role. Will he be able to to survive the 'Winter Madness' solo? ); and now is giving music a majestic twist to the history of music breaking the boundaries of metal...ONCE AGAIN!?
Thank you. You are the Lennon-McCartney of our era
16.01.2017 - 08:28
hellbent
New wintersun album is called The Forest Seasons .....
18.01.2017 - 15:37
hellbent
WINTERSUN'S 3RD FULL LENGTH ALBUM TRACKLIST

Wintersun - The Forest Seasons

1. Awaken From The Dark Slumber (Spring) 14:40
Part I The Dark Slumber
Part II The Awakening
2. The Forest That Weeps (Summer) 12:18
3. Eternal Darkness (Autumn) 14:08
Part I Haunting Darkness
Part II The Call of the Dark Dream
Part III Beyond the Infinite Universe
Part IV Death
4. Loneliness (Winter) 12:54

Total running time: 53:20

Yes, you guessed it! This album is our version of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, but it hasn´t got anything to do with Vivaldi musically or with classical music. It is 100% original and solid Wintersun material! It is something new and different. Let´s just say it has a bit more darker tone overall...
18.01.2017 - 22:00
caimanjosh
Seems to me that Jari suffers from some pretty terrible perfectionism. That, and procrastination....but I think the two often go hand-in-hand anyways. On some level I think he's aware of this (a lot of his lyrics are about wasting his life, time slipping away, etc.), but apparently he just can't help himself.

In any case, once the music finally does come out, it's invariably good/great. 2 out of 2 so far, anyways. Weird that he came up with an entirely new album in between Time I and II, but in any case, looking forward to hearing it.
11.03.2017 - 10:23
None of the comments on Wintersun threads actually talk about the music

I just heard two songs I hadn't heard before. The way of the fire and The forest that weeps. I loved em both. great music
11.03.2017 - 11:16
Zap
Probably because none of the Wintersun threads from the last five years contain any new music.

Hits total: 6142 | This month: 18