Metal Storm logo
Favourite Debut Album from German Power Metal Bands

Poll

What's your favourite Power Metal Debut Album by a German band?

Helloween-Walls Of Jericho
Blind Guardian-Battalions Of Fear
Masterplan-Masterplan
Edguy-Savage Poetry
Other
Gamma Ray-Heading For Tomorrow
Primal Fear-Primal Fear

Total votes: 100
15.04.2007 - 07:16
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Germany is the creater and definetly my favourite country for Power Metal so I was just wondering what debut albums you like best by these German Power Metal bands. Just vote, explain why you enjoy that certain album more and try not to be rude to those who don't share your opinion.

My favourite of these would have to be Battalions of Fear, one of the fastest, heaviest Power Metal albums ever to be made, and I love Hansi's vocals in that album a lot.
15.04.2007 - 12:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I voted BG, but isn't that considered speed/thrash? The competitions is hard though...some very good albums most of them
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.04.2007 - 14:37
APOHAKC
The Bard
Helloween's Walls Of Jericho is one of the best metal albums ever.. Those speed riffs on that album kick ass, I am listening this albbum at least once a week for 6-7 years.. All songs are awesome, and some of those songs are metal classics for all time, like Guardians, one and only Ride The Sky, Judas... Those riffs were complexed, especially for that time, they often change tempos on songs and had some weird style of play, example: Gorgar. Vocals on this album are fucking amazing, what to say about Kai Hansen's screams lol I love his vocals on this album... everything is perfect, on of the best metal albums ever as I already said...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.04.2007 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I vote for Blind Guardian but first Batalions of Fear are SPEED metal not power metal so
About power I woud say my fav album are Black Abyss album 'Why' its so epic dark power metal ist awsome man
IMO bets german PM band ewer, and well there are so awsoem speed albums like Risk 'The Daily Horror News' awsome too, ok we dont atlk about times when Risk calls Faithful Breath

But Im not so huge fan of power an dbands in list so ...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.04.2007 - 15:30
Hyvaarin
I love that every single thread on MS starts off with and consists mostly of people disputing a band's allocated genre...

This one's gonna take some thinking - at the moment I'm leaning towards 'Battalions of Fear'. Can't ignore 'Majesty' .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
15.04.2007 - 21:10
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
My bad guys, while i was creating this thread I forgot what a controversial album Battalions of Fear is in terms of it's actual style. I always found it to be a very heavy, fast power metal album because the vocals are truly power metaled up, most of the guitar riffs don't seem like things i see thrash or speed bands doing and in most cases the drumming seems power metal to me. I also asked a friend and looked at what this site had to say in terms of it's style and both agreed with me.

Despite my opinion i've changed the title of this thread from "Favourite German Power Metal Debut Album" to "Favourite Debut Album from German Power Metal Bands". I think that's more appropriate, and don't mind the question above the voting box because i can't change that lol.
16.04.2007 - 14:52
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
I vote for Blind Guardian with any discuss and doubt. For me this band have put from the beginning the bases of its style: a music at the same moment heavy, speed and melodic. Their are the best in this domain and since the start.
And when I see title like 'Guardian Of The Blind', 'Battalions Of Fear', 'Into The Storm' and of course 'Majesty', I must vote for them.

But on this choise list, there's many great albums. ThrashMetal_Rulz you didn't leave an easy choice for the truths German's power metal fans .
16.04.2007 - 15:03
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah Into the Storm is really awesome song, but Future World is better...
----
16.04.2007 - 17:20
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 15:45

Written by GT on 15.04.2007 at 12:35

I voted BG, but isn't that considered speed/thrash? The competitions is hard though...some very good albums most of them

It is yes, but it's still a hell of a debut album mainly cause of Majesty also bloody top song that is eh. My choice is Running Wild's first album Gates To Purgatory though, I love this album so so much. It's not traditional power metal most especially the lyrics but it still has power metal elements to it as all RW albums do but none of them are full on power metal, there's something that seperates them from the traditional sense of the term.

Yeah man, that album really kick ass, but it is different than other Running Wild releases. It is same with Blind Guardian. Lyrics on Gates To Purgatory are little bit different than on other albums, and music is little trashy lol but it is awesome album. Great taste man
----
16.04.2007 - 18:46
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah, I like that pirate trip much, they sing about everything: sea battles, only battles, princesses, allpossible pirates, hidden and digen treasures, islands, pirate books... But on first album they had satanic lyrics, lol, totaly different than now...
----
16.04.2007 - 21:27
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.04.2007 at 15:45

Written by GT on 15.04.2007 at 12:35

It is yes, but it's still a hell of a debut album mainly cause of Majesty also bloody top song that is eh. My choice is Running Wild's first album Gates To Purgatory though, I love this album so so much. It's not traditional power metal most especially the lyrics but it still has power metal elements to it as all RW albums do but none of them are full on power metal, there's something that seperates them from the traditional sense of the term.

Though so, but yeah it's hell of an album and that's why I voted for it. I haven't heard RW much...just some very low quality mp3s and that wasn't good, but might have to give them a second chance
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.04.2007 - 05:03
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I'm alone with Primal Fear. It's very fast and dynamic, Primal Fear s an awesome band.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.04.2007 - 15:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
That album is good, but for me, it don't have that creative force like some of these albums, all songs are similar, they are fast yes, but Helloween had songs like Ride The Sky and then like Judas, with many changes of tempo, great riffs, various singing, progressive and fast solos... And Primal Fear was just... fast
----
23.05.2007 - 05:03
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
There are better power bands out there than the one im about to mention. But this was a ripper of a debut for speed/power band Metalium. Mellenium Metal is a brilliant album with crunching heavy bass, speedy accurate drumming, catchy riffs, and catchy vocal melodies. The song strike down the heathen coul have easily been a power metal classic if it were writen by a better know band... Although it seems they are basically just another german power band these days. But they still rock.
23.05.2007 - 07:16
tulkas
el parcero
i voted for blind guardian's debut, mainly beacuse out of those bands it practically the only one i like, and also beacuse BG is one of my fav bands overall, although the early stuff mainly. don't really like the whole change they've been through lately...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
03.08.2007 - 23:11
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Battalions of Fear is my choice, and it is also one of the best BG album. I like instrumental songs on this album such as Trial By The Archon and By The Gates Of Moria, and also think Majesty is one of the best Power Metal songs ever.
05.08.2007 - 05:06
selken
Irreligious
do I need to explain why walls of Jericho?
----
07.08.2007 - 04:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
surprise surprise its Blind Guardian with the most votes..

(from this list)

I vote for Primal Fear's first album as I think that is still one of the greatest power/heavy metal albums you can listen to today.. powerful, catchy, just awesome in every way it should be
second option would be the first Masterplan album - again that album is just a masterpiece
Gamma Ray, then Blind Guardian and then Helloween would follow in that order..
07.08.2007 - 18:11
Infurnace
Hmm.. I like most of those debut albums, but I voted for Edguy, because I really enjoy ever album made by them, and they are one of my favorite Power Metal bands.
08.08.2007 - 21:28
In Chaos
I really like Helloween's debut album Walls Of Jericho, it has so many good songs with speedy riffs and the kick ass vocals of Kai Hansen. and Helloween is one of my favorite bands so I just had to vote for them
09.10.2007 - 07:44
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Battalions of fear gets my vote

Majesty and run for the night are like my favorite Power thrash songs

Blind Guardian is simply the best
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.10.2007 - 22:33
Mustis
Account deleted
Gamma Ray for me is the best power metal singer in Germany, Blinn Guardian is awesome too, but i prefer gamma ray
09.10.2007 - 22:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 09.10.2007 at 07:44

Its speed metal not power thrsh, power thrash are Iced Earth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.10.2007 - 00:15
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Written by Bad English on 09.10.2007 at 22:36

Written by Dreamwar_86 on 09.10.2007 at 07:44

Its speed metal not power thrsh, power thrash are Iced Earth

ermm mmm yeah whatever
----
Stay Metal !!!
06.06.2008 - 20:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
BLIn d F u k iii n GUARIan yeah yeah
17.10.2008 - 11:50
Yossarian
The blind guardian debut is astonishing, but Helloween is a classic that marked the style for the whole German metal afterwards. And it includes Guardians or So many tears that are simply perfect.
12.06.2009 - 22:04
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Helloween!!, the rules of power metal scene!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.09.2009 - 16:36
Angel Of Mercy
What about StormWarrior's first album? I think it's self titled.

But on the one's actually on the list I'd say Blind Guardian.
----
Your time will come.
06.02.2011 - 19:41
Empyror
I'm going with Freedom Call's Stairway to Fairyland. While I like most of the above bands better than Freedom Call, I think their debuts were weaker. Of the ones listed above, I would go with Helloween, though I do enjoy Primal Fear as well. Battalions of Fear was lacking in the "Power" department and was more of a speed metal album (I realize "Walls" pretty much is too, but come on, it fucking rocks) Heading for Tomorrow, while I love Ralf and Kai individually, is just downright ridiculous sometimes and as an album just doesn't flow. Masterplan was good, but nothing great or special. As for Edguy...I absolutely love Avantasia, but just can't get fully into Edguy. Is that weird? I love Tobi's vocals and think he is a wonderfully creative songwriter and I even like a few of their songs, but the overall package just doesn't do anything for me, and trust me, I really want to like them being a fan of Tobi Sammett himself.
06.02.2011 - 19:57
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Empyror on 06.02.2011 at 19:41

I'm going with Freedom Call's Stairway to Fairyland. While I like most of the above bands better than Freedom Call, I think their debuts were weaker. Of the ones listed above, I would go with Helloween, though I do enjoy Primal Fear as well. Battalions of Fear was lacking in the "Power" department and was more of a speed metal album (I realize "Walls" pretty much is too, but come on, it fucking rocks) Heading for Tomorrow, while I love Ralf and Kai individually, is just downright ridiculous sometimes and as an album just doesn't flow. Masterplan was good, but nothing great or special. As for Edguy...I absolutely love Avantasia, but just can't get fully into Edguy. Is that weird? I love Tobi's vocals and think he is a wonderfully creative songwriter and I even like a few of their songs, but the overall package just doesn't do anything for me, and trust me, I really want to like them being a fan of Tobi Sammett himself.

Agreed. I also enjoyed Masterplan, made me an instant fan. Don't think Walls of Jericho/Battalions of Fear were all that as far as debuts go..