05. Bay Of Dreams
06. Planet Y Is Alive!
07. The Source Will Flow
08. Journey To Forever
09. The Human Compulsion
10. March Of The Machines

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2017

Line-up
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - electric and acoustic guitars, bass guitar, mandolin, synthesizers, Hammond, Solina Strings, all other instruments

Additional Musicians:
Ed Warby - drums, percussion
Joost van den Broek - grand piano and electric piano
Maaike Peterse - cello
Ben Mathot - violin
Jeroen Goossens - flute, wind instruments
Mark Kelly - synthesizer solo on "The Dream Dissolves"
Paul Gilbert - guitar solo on "Star of Sirrah"
Guthrie Govan - guitar solo on "Planet Y Is Alive!"
Marcel Coenen - guitar solo on "The Dream Dissolves"

Vocalists:
James LaBrie - The Historian
Tommy Karevik - The Opposition Leader
Tommy Rogers - The Chemist
Simone Simons - The Counselor
Nils K. Rue - The Prophet
Tobias Sammet - The Captain
Hansi Kürsch - The Astronomer
Mike Mills - TH-1
Russell Allen - The President
Michael Eriksen - The Diplomat
Floor Jansen - The Biologist
Will Shaw, Wilmer Waarbroek, Jan Willem Ketelaars, and Lisette van den Berg - The Ship's Crew
Zaher Zorgati - The Preacher

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
More than 20 years have passed since Ayreon's inception. With many long-time admirers understandably experiencing considerable metal opera fatigue and Arjen himself sadly growing older, the project's latest album The Source might easily be dismissed by many as an unimaginative and possibly even unimportant rehash of previously released material. Such opinions have merit to be sure, but there is still plenty to enjoy about this album, whether one is a lifelong Ayreonaut or not.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2018 | Comments (3)

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 1115 users
26.01.2017 - 18:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Looks like someone had added with release date as "2017". What were you doing K7?

Its alright now anyway and good that we have the release date.
26.01.2017 - 18:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
First track out.

Edit: Also one of the worst Ayreon tracks I've ever heard.
23.02.2017 - 18:35
Rating: 5
Doge of Venice
Another track released...

10.04.2017 - 22:53
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by 3rdWorld on 26.01.2017 at 18:18

"Worst by Ayreon" still means atop of most other stuff along

And I cant stop listening to "Michael Eriksen's" part...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.04.2017 - 21:22
Written by Ellrohir on 10.04.2017 at 22:53

Written by 3rdWorld on 26.01.2017 at 18:18

"Worst by Ayreon" still means atop of most other stuff along

And I cant stop listening to "Michael Eriksen's" part...

The analog synth part is one of the coolest introductions into a metal song I've heard. When it went from soft and melodic to heavy within ten seconds, I had to rewind the video just to hear it again before going further.

And yeah, even the "worst by Ayreon" is better than most other stuff.
----
Power metal incarnate.
18.04.2017 - 21:33
Aries Rising
I'd rather have a new Star One album.
19.04.2017 - 12:16
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
A third lyric video released:

It does not make me at all happy to echo 3dWorld's statement from before, but this is the worst and most boring Ayreon track in history. This album's not looking good at all at this point.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.04.2017 - 09:36
Rating: 10
Apolyon666
A lot of negative thoughts about this album... I have it... and this is not the "genre" I typically listen to (more thrash or death) but this album isn't that bad. It's going to take several spins.... but I personally think this dude is smoking some shit...
22.04.2017 - 13:00
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
So this is the album of the month in Metal Hammer and a ton of other magazines. Either the rest of the album apart from the three songs released thus far is pure gold or music journalists working for big magazines nowadays lack all integrity and simply give the AOTM award for big releases by famous artists.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
26.04.2017 - 00:28
BlankFile
The first part of the álbum is really good. I enjoy it a lot. The second part, not so much. At least so far...

I really don´t think it was a good idea bringing Tobias Sammet to the table. It´s not a good thing, when you think about Avantasia, listening to an Ayreon record. It might seem strange saying this, but it feels that way. That happened to me a lot, mainly on the second CD of the record.
28.04.2017 - 09:10
Creativinity
Loving. But needs more Jorn.
28.04.2017 - 19:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.04.2017 - 22:57
Esimunth
Once again, Arjen Lucassen proves that he is one of the best songwriters alive today. These albums never disappoint.
28.04.2017 - 23:40
BORT
Damn this album is way better than I was expecting.
29.04.2017 - 05:20
Nicko's Nose
This is so generic.
01.05.2017 - 22:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
Absolutely love this album! The last one was pretty disappointing, but I'm glad things have come back together with this one.
02.05.2017 - 21:37
Nick Carter
The first 2 parts are amazing and really really enjoyable. The other 2 are pretty standard and predictable. I wonder why Arjen insists in making so long albums when he clearly could make an amazing record without using all those "filling" songs.
Also the "Forever" theme is getting a bit old.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
02.05.2017 - 22:07
Rating: 9
Polaria
Written by Nick Carter on 02.05.2017 at 21:37

Also the "Forever" theme is getting a bit old.

Arjen said in interviews that he created The Human Equation partly because he realised that his audience was getting tired of his "alien stories" (though he couldn't help himself making a reference to the Dream Sequencer and the Electric Castle at the end of this album... :)

Considering how the Source ends, I wouldn't be surprised that we'll get another album in the saga, chronologically crammed between the Source and 010etc.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
03.05.2017 - 00:51
Nick Carter
Written by Polaria on 02.05.2017 at 22:07

Considering how the Source ends, I wouldn't be surprised that we'll get another album in the saga, chronologically crammed between the Source and 010etc.

Whatever he choses, let's hope he sticks more into things like the first half of this album and less like the second half.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
03.05.2017 - 15:24
Hughes
First few repeats to the album i thought the first cd was better aswell, but after several of the second cd aswell i came to the conclusion that its really equal in quality as the first and they'r some awesome songs in the second cd i also love really much as the first cd!!
03.05.2017 - 20:45
Polaria
I really like this album from the first to the very last second, and I am really not into progressive and not much into power metal.

I cannot fault this album after 8 (!) repeats. I'll rate it in a few weeks after the novelty effect wears off.

I like the fact that he treated the cast in a more theatrical way by giving each singer a precise role ( 010etc was a big mess on that regard I find). The track the Human Compulsion reminds me of the cast presentation at the end of a play.

And erm... Journey To Forever reminds me a lot of Glee...
----
08.05.2017 - 21:56
Polaria
Well the album is currently number 1 on the Dutch album top 100 O.o
----
09.05.2017 - 01:13
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Polaria on 08.05.2017 at 21:56

That's probably all Marcel's doing.
09.05.2017 - 08:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Azarath on 09.05.2017 at 01:13

You may never know.

He could be out of from nowhere popping up on this thread saying, "this is great and much better than earlier releases".
09.05.2017 - 12:19
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Terrible from start to finish. All that vocal role-playing got old a few albums back, now it's simply unbearable. The songs are all ripoffs of songs from older albums. I used to like Ayreon a lot, but now...
09.05.2017 - 17:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Just like all of the previous albums I checked this one out and like all the previous albums I didn't like it at all.
Arjen's best work still remains his guitar playing on Arabia by Vengeance for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2017 - 19:48
Polaria
Written by Azarath on 09.05.2017 at 01:13

I have to say this has crossed my mind as well...
----
10.05.2017 - 10:34
angel_heart
It's a bit cheesy and I can hear many parts from previous albums in there, but overall I like it. I was slightly disappointed at first because I inevitably compared it to 01 (because of the theme and vocalists) and it really is a far cry from it, but it's a grower. Once I accepted it's more of a classic rock with spacey themes album rather than a progressive one, I started enjoying it a lot more. Even bad Ayreon is still pretty awesome compared to the rest, and The Source isn't bad at all. Just not as amazing as the previous albums.
10.05.2017 - 23:30
Polaria
Written by angel_heart on 10.05.2017 at 10:34

It's a bit cheesy and I can hear many parts from previous albums in there, but overall I like it. I was slightly disappointed at first because I inevitably compared it to 01 (because of the theme and vocalists) and it really is a far cry from it, but it's a grower. Once I accepted it's more of a classic rock with spacey themes album rather than a progressive one, I started enjoying it a lot more. Even bad Ayreon is still pretty awesome compared to the rest, and The Source isn't bad at all. Just not as amazing as the previous albums.

Is it cheesy, totally yes but you can say that about a lot of genres in metal

The 2 previous albums have been meh for me.

For me 010etc is a big vocal mess ( 17 singers, really?!), highest points being the parts of Jonas Renske and Anneke Van Giersbergen. There are also two songs in that album that are definitely the worst of the Worst by Ayreon.

The Theory of Everything is much better structured vocally with less singers, each with a precise role in the story, but it lacked oomph and parts of the story are a bit meh as well, the ending was well-thought though. But 42 tracks, really?! Yes I know what it refers to, but this was truly a false good idea.

I can't even say anything about the Human Equation, I haven't listened to it yet because I am really not fond of James Labrie's style.

The conclusion is that the Source addresses what were the big flaws for me on the previous albums. I can live with LaBrie's parts on that one.

So a 9 for me, I'll put it to 10 in a few years if I still enjoy it then.
----
11.05.2017 - 19:11
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Polaria on 10.05.2017 at 23:30

There are also two songs in that album that are definitely the worst of the Worst by Ayreon.

"Connect the Dots" is a great song. A personal favourite.

Hits total: 20350 | This month: 57