Metal Storm logo
Suicidal Tendencies

27.04.2007 - 03:03
Troll
Account deleted
Any "Cyco's" in this forum? Favourite ST record? Been to any of their shows lately in France or Australia?
Hopefully I will see them when the come to Sweden this summer!
For those who haven't heard of 'em before I can tell you ST is a Skate Punk/Funk/Thrash Metalband. They've released 8 full-length CD's and some EP's since they're where formed in California -82.
My favourite ST record is "How will I laugh tomorrow when I can't even smile today", maybe cause I've been listening to it more than their other stuff.
Any oppinions on ST?
27.04.2007 - 03:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, I haven't listened to these guys in a while....back when I used to skate. I've only really listened to their first three albums though. I like their aggressive and simple sound, and the lyrics only make things better.

I'd love to see these guys live. I'm sure it'd be a crazy show.
27.04.2007 - 11:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I totally love them but I am moving this to the extreme forum since they more or less ended up as total thrash.

I agree with you my fav is also How Will I Laugh Tomorrow. Which is a classic thrash album together with Lights, Camera, Revolution and The Art Of Rebellion.

Live they were brilliant during that period. Especially Mike Muir, a true psycho, yo Psycho Miko.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.04.2007 - 12:18
APOHAKC
The Bard
I love this band but dunno favorite album cause I had one compilation when I was a kid, and I havent listend them for a while. I can only say that I really liked their riffs and style of play, they had some energy young brain needs
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.04.2007 - 17:00
Lol, these guys kick ass. My favorite memory of these guys is seeing them on those 20/20 type shows, talking about how music groups cause the violence and degeneration of youth.
I've always wondered...if I was born 10 years before, how I'd be in the 80's. Would I be a badass sporting a bicycle hat listening to Suicidal Tendencies, or a puss with a perm listening to Whitesnake and Winger. Probably a puss...
27.04.2007 - 19:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I love band and not all labums i like but some albums and some songs are good its something frem old school metal my fav song are 'Trip to Brain' IMO one of unique old school bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.04.2007 - 22:50
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Fun band to listen to, but I don't have any albums. Good starting point?
28.04.2007 - 01:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I was a huge fan back in the day. Still listen to them from time to time now.

I saw the video for "Institutionalized" on ALTV (when eMpTy Vee let Weird Al run the programming for two hours) back in the mid 80's and was an immediate fan.

Saw them opening for Jane's Addiction in 1991 on their "Lights, Camera, Revolution..." tour, great energetic show.

Way back in HS I used to keep the lyrics to "If I don't wake up" in my wallet as motivation.

Why do I wake up in the morning-nothing's changed since the day of my birth
Why do I wake up in the morning-I make no difference on this earth

Strength has left-has to be-something has died inside of me

If I don't wake up in the morning-at my funeral would anyone care
If I don't wake up in the morning-would anyone even be there

You can put me down-you can put me out, you can try to ignore
But now you're gonna hear me when I shout WAKE UP

Why should I wake up in the morning-it be just another wasted day
Why should I wake up in the morning-don't do nothing right anyway

That was then-not anymore-now I go blasting out the door

I'm gonna wake up in the morning-I'll prove you wrong I will not fail
I'm gonna wake up in the morning-I'm gonna blaze a brand new trail

Might not be smart, but if I'm strong
I know for sure no one ever will prove me wrong

Was a great pick me up when the shit hit the fan.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.04.2007 - 01:24
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Funny band, yeah I saw them for the first time in beavis and butthead episode (Institutionalized video) , and I laughed at least for a week when i heard the lyrics. hahahah All I wanted was a Pepsi... LOL

Anyone saw Phil Anselmo imitating Mike from ST? hahahah funny shit too.
----
29.04.2007 - 06:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Damn...the only song I've heard by these guys is Institutionalized...can anyone recommend an album...?
30.04.2007 - 20:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
If you liked "Institutionalized", the self titled album is the same vein, although that is probably the stand out track. All in all, no weaknesses, just a solid, high energy release.

"How will I laugh tomorrow" is the start of their thrash phase, and probably their second best overall.

"Feel like shit... deja vu" I also really like, and it would be ahead of "HWILT" if the vocals were a little stronger in the mix.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.05.2007 - 04:35
Troll
Account deleted
Kap'N Korrupt, start with "How will I laugh tomorrow when I can´t even smile today"! An album without any weaknesses.
29.11.2007 - 18:19
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
OC-TV.net has uploaded interview and performance footage of Suicidal Tendencies shot when the band played in Toulouse (France) earlier in the year. You ca watch the clip at this location.
02.12.2007 - 22:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Troll: Thanks for the advice
15.01.2009 - 04:09
JENNYJUDAS87
Account deleted
Favorite song is "possessed" from the self titled track
05.02.2010 - 15:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Haha, great band. very groovy, listening right now to "Send Me Your Money", previously "Pledge Your Allegiance".. great shit

now let's have some bass!!
05.02.2010 - 18:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Valentin B on 05.02.2010 at 15:11

Haha, great band. very groovy, listening right now to "Send Me Your Money", previously "Pledge Your Allegiance".. great shit

now let's have some bass!!

now let's have some silence... FOR ALL YOU SINNERS!

some links to youtube songs that i suggested in TBG's useless "Get Thrashed" poll:

Institutionalized

Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu

You Can't Bring Me Down - Rocky fucking shreds. And pay attention, you might recognize the bassist.

Trip At The Brain

bonus track! just for this thread!

The Feeling's Back - one of the tracks on my "jog" mix that kicks me in to another gear no matter how tired i feel.
----

05.02.2010 - 18:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hehe, i knew you were talking about Trujillo.. anyway badass band. what's interesting is Muir's vocal approach imo, it's pretty funny but also pretty raw and "from the heart" if you get what i mean. i also watched "Get Thrashed" but after they talked about the Clash of the Titans tour i don't remember too much dwelling on ST.

this may also sound like blasphemy to you people, but before whenever i heard the name Mike Muir i instantly thought of Robb Flynn from Machine Head for some reason. yeah yeah ST rule and MH are posers i get it :
05.02.2010 - 19:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
They didn't dwell on them because the primary point had been made. the course of the movie took a way to tie bands in to situations/scenes.

i.e. birth of thrash - Metallica with the Megadeth spin off

LA Scene bit into the Slayer bit.

Bay Scene bit into the Exodus bit.

NYC Scene into the Anthrax bit.

Cross-over into ST.

to me the Clash of the Titans bit was about what they indicated - it was the height of the thrash movement before the subsequent "fall". following that tour, the genre had some issues - primarily grunge killing off one of the glam, which hurt the thrash audience a bit, as well as the emergence of more extreme music as DM started it's commercial rise in the early 90's.

ST's best work was mid-80's through the early 90's. but then again, the same can be said for pretty much ANY band they featured. Metallica and Megadeth started playing far more radio-friendly music, Anthrax just self-immolated with a slew of personnel decisions and albums that (after "SOWN") didn't stack up, even Slayer's output dried up a bit. Exodus released a mediocre album then disappeared for a decade.

beyond the featured bands, take a look at other thrash stalwarts of the 80's scene... Vio-Lence (one album in '93 then gone), Dark Angel (last album in '91), Death Angel (Act III in '90, then 14 years off), Testament kept releasing albums in the 90s, but as with the "Big Four", none stacked up to their earlier works.

The original pioneers pretty much dried up. Outside of Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer, i don't think any other band maintained enough of a fan base to draw like they did in the heyday of the CotT tour.

so the lack of mention after the CotT bit is not just a indictment on ST, but the scene as a general whole.
----

10.03.2010 - 20:43
Demonmayonnaise
If I was stuck on an island and could only have 10 albums, Suicidal's debut would be one of them. I really enjoy How Can I Laugh Tomorrow, and Lights, Camera, Revolution as well.
10.03.2010 - 23:04
Don Martin
le fu-
It was absolutely great seeing them on Graspop, the band (Muir not included) started playing and when they were already 2 minutes in Can't Bring Me Down, some fat mexican shows up and announces: "Strait outta Venice, California! Mike Muiiiiir!" and he comes up and my mind blew. I wanted to buy one of those hats (you know 'em) but instead of just Suicidal Tendencies, they put Infectious Grooves on top of the cap and Suicidal underneath! And then on top of that it costed 20 euros! I bought a Municipal Waste cap of the same type a few months later

EDIT: I forgot the "Fav record" thing. I think that will be their debut, which is excellent. Fav song is Subliminal, the first time I heard that one, I was sold
----
What a tackastrophe!
19.05.2011 - 23:54
Ghostdancer
I used to be into these guys in the late '80s and early '90s. I still listen to them sometimes. I liked How Will I Laugh Tommorrow, Feel Like Shit...Deja Vu and Lights, Camera, Revolution quite a bit. I saw them live once...with Muir's and Trujillo's other band, Infectious Grooves, opening for them. Mike Muir was a trip live. Besides giving a great performance...he also liked to ramble sometimes and part of the time what he was saying was unintelligible. When Infectious Grooves performed he totally went off on David Bowie and Jimmy Page about how old they were and how much they sucked...and then the band proceeded to cover "Fame" and "Immigrant Song." I really found him hilarious... Both bands performed extremely well that night.

It'll always be S.T.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
10.07.2011 - 07:44
king_matt
My favorite album by them is their debut and my favorite song is probably Subliminal. Especially the part where they go "Danger, Nightmare, Doomsday, Nightmare, Murder, Nightmare, Nightmare, Nightmare."
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt