09. Alpha Aeon Omega
10. Rite Of Passage

Additional info
Cover art: Zbigniew M. Bielak
Produced by Dimmu Borgir.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This is just Nightwish with Emperor Palpatine on vocals.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2018 | Comments (62)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
It took 8 years to release a new record. So it must be the feather in black metal music's cap; something to throw at a true black metaller's face. These are the things that initially come to anyone's mind, regardless of how successful Eonian is in making fans' desires come true.

The record doesn't carry any instrumental track for a starter as a typical Dimmu Borgir thing, instead a shocking industrial intro and not comforting at all. "Interdimensional Summit", being the first song I listened to from this record, still stuck to Abrahadabra values. The keyboard theme is quite heartwarming and Galder's solo is one of the band's best. After that, "Council Of Wolves And Snakes" starts as something you may need in Dimmu Borgir's albums, but gets tedious and kills the buzz in the listener.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (1)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 69   Visited by: 1011 users
25.01.2018 - 19:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Hellyeah.
25.01.2018 - 19:21
IBlackened
I'm just as curious as I'm skeptical about this one.
----
Their old stuff is better.
26.01.2018 - 09:46
Rating: 6
s_t_s
9 years later.... Dimmu who ? No expectations as their absence gave me opportunities to find about other bands. Don't like the artwork though.
29.01.2018 - 17:12
s_t_s
Written by Drippy.Hippie on 27.01.2018 at 01:00

The band never disappoints me, I'm looking forward to it!

Though very good Abrahadabra is certainly NOT their best album. No expectations I'm just curious.
30.01.2018 - 16:27
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Abrahadabra was very very bad IMO, I hope they cut the over-symphonic bullshit with this one and deliver something more in the vein of In Sorte Diaboli.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
06.02.2018 - 21:10
sendivogius
Written by s_t_s on 29.01.2018 at 17:12

Though very good Abrahadabra is certainly NOT their best album. No expectations I'm just curious.

Same here, I'd rather keep my hopes very low... Hate being disappointed. Besides, I got a very good "fix" of symphonic metal with Xanthochroid's recent releases. Just saying...
08.02.2018 - 16:08
s_t_s
Written by sendivogius on 06.02.2018 at 21:10

Written by s_t_s on 29.01.2018 at 17:12

Same here, I'd rather keep my hopes very low... Hate being disappointed. Besides, I got a very good "fix" of symphonic metal with Xanthochroid's recent releases. Just saying...

If you know about good Symphonic bands, please PM me ! I can tell you about W.E.B with Tartarus.
21.02.2018 - 09:23
Litvin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eonia

Course of EONIA 1999 - 2009

The graphic suggest not expecting too much
21.02.2018 - 13:38
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Litvin on 21.02.2018 at 09:23

weird graphic

??
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.02.2018 - 00:56
Litvin
Here it is Nightwish with Shagrath vocal hopefully sales will go ok....
Rally, they can go to Eurovision 2018 with that song:

But I'd rather listen to this:

26.02.2018 - 15:52
blindg
They are as slow as E<st>onian (speech)
03.03.2018 - 15:40
BloodFireDeath
Eight years between releases? Hmm they must have lives or something lol
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
03.05.2018 - 04:56
Litvin
R.I.P Symphonic Black Metal , we got like "Modern Avant-garde Atmospheric Theatrical Symphonic Blackened Metal" here - which is may be too much mix, at some points reminds Carach Angren.

Actually I hate this one much less then 'Abrahadabra' and I am actually liking it a bit but I would love if they put more Black Metal in to it but I think it is better just to forget about it and move on.

The album sounds a bit too cheesy and generic - not unique enough for the band level. The 'Interdimensional Summit' is the whose track on the album but I believe it could be written/composed in a better way, no or much less choirs on that, etc

The same silly boring piano sound running like on each track and it kinda gets annoying at first but it kinda connects all songs like in to one concept which is not so bad.

The choirs get overused as band lacking of clean 'ics vortex' vocal, but may be this particular choirs here is a good thing as I'd say they overexperimented with clean vocals in Abrahadabra too much. This way here sounds much better than the way it was done on 'Abrahadabra'.

Shagrath vocal - there is not much vocals here - Shagrath just mostly talking through the whole album - but it is not bad idea here anyway.

The lyrics - it is brilliant.

Album cover- awesome.

p.s
Eonian is not the thing you want to listen once and forget, at least for me.
So I think I might stuck with a record for a couple of weeks now.

Someone just written a review here saying "Eonian is like Nightwish with Emperor Palpatine vocal" - which is a total bullshit. If you criticize this way - go ahead and do better.

Back in Feb 2018 in one of my comments above I was saying that 'Interdimensional Summit' in particular is like a "Nightwish with Shagrath on vocal" but I was referencing only to one particular track and it was kinda joke but about the fact they can go to to Eurovision with that particular song I was really serious
03.05.2018 - 15:07
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Well... That was... Not good.

I guess we can never hope when it's too late heh?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.05.2018 - 05:52
IBlackened
Weaker and softer than Abrahadabra. There's no bite, no edge. And I can't help but think about Disney movies when I hear those choirs.
----
04.05.2018 - 07:47
Rating: 8
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
It's actually a major step for Dimmu Borgir!
It's a Blackened Symphonic Metal album and those fans who just like BLACK and brutal side of it will NOT enjoy this as much as before but it was very good, I personally agree with changing style and going to roads that didn't traveled before by any band, of course that Dimmu Borgir was greater than this before but this is still very good and indeed different!!! (7.8/10)
04.05.2018 - 08:45
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Gorgeous album, I really enjoyed it. But I'm sure people will complain that it's not "F4sT n' h34Vy 3n0uGH"
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.05.2018 - 08:48
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by IBlackened on 04.05.2018 at 05:52

Weaker than Abrahadabra. And I can't help but think about Disney princess movies when I hear those choirs.

Lol, yeah, cos Dimmu totally sounds like a Disney soundtrack....

Exhibit A of why people laugh at black metal fans.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
04.05.2018 - 10:38
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 04.05.2018 at 08:48

Written by IBlackened on 04.05.2018 at 05:52

And I can't help but think about Disney princess movies when I hear those choirs.

You mean you didn't see The Princess And The Goat Lord? Or Frost Black And The 666 Dwarfs?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.05.2018 - 11:43
IBlackened
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 04.05.2018 at 08:48

Exhibit A of why people laugh at black metal fans.

Have I said anything about Dimmu's sound as a whole? I thought I was quite specific, mentioning only the choirs; and what I said (half-joking) was that they remind me of Disney movies, not that they're exactly like that, since they sound too cheerful, bright and soft, not dark, epic or ominous.

Black Metal fan? Seriously? What does that have anything to do with me not liking this album? As if only a Black Metal fan would dislike this album... If you think I don't like Eonian because it's not "trve Black Metal", you couldn't be more wrong. I think it's bland, weak, uninteresting. It has nothing to do with it being Black Metal or not. My tastes are quite broad for a black metal purist. Even though I listen mainly to Black Metal, there are bands I enjoy in pretty much every extreme metal subgenre and even in rock or electronic music. But you don't have to believe me. I have a last.fm account and here is the link, so you can check it by yourself and won't have to assume my music taste anymore.
----
04.05.2018 - 12:06
Svetopolk
If the choir wasn't so overbearing, it could've been decent.
----
None above. None equal.
04.05.2018 - 13:24
Rating: 9
balrog
I expected worse after the two singles. Interdimensional Summit sticks out to me as the worst track on the album by far, but the rest of it is decent. I agree with those who say the choir is a bit over the top at certain points, but I still like it overall.
04.05.2018 - 14:53
joshsteph
Just can't get into this album at all. I love symphonic metal, in fact Therion is one of my all time favourites, but Eonian seems so calculated, so safe, so boring that I just couldn't even finish listening to it. Cradle Of Filth's recent release is a masterpiece compared to this.
04.05.2018 - 17:24
morte
In my opinion this is not as bad as one would think based on the discussion here, it just should have been released under different name than Dimmu Borgir. I listened to it tree times so far...
----
In Morte Ultima Veritas
04.05.2018 - 20:27
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It's really bad . I thought I would find a few good songs like on Abrahadabra at least, but no. There are some sections that sound great, but none of those add up to a good song.
05.05.2018 - 03:46
Miscreant
Written by Guest on 04.05.2018 at 14:00

This album is more like 'Atmospheric' than Symphonic...not even black metal, but Gothic Metal. I'll say that the album's genre is maybe 'Atmospheric Gothic Metal' than 'Symphonic Black Metal'.

I agree, it is atmospheric, although symphonic elements are still there, it does remind me more of atmospheric black metal than it does Nightwish. It certainly lacks some of the edge/chaos of their other albums. I like atmospheric metal more for background listening and this album definitely falls more into the background category for me.

If I had to pick a favorite off the album, I would go with The Empyrean Phoenix.
05.05.2018 - 14:07
CWA
Dimmu is another huge band that a lot of elitists love to hate. This album isn't perfect but the majority of negative comments are incredibly snobby i think. The first half of the album came off as pretty safe and standard Dimmu with a little bit of nuance. The second half of the album, minus the last song, left me felling absolutely elated. I loved both the fresh sounding keyboard effects and the beautiful choirs that filled up the second half of this album. My personal favorite song from was "I am Sovereign".
05.05.2018 - 18:23
Rating: 9
SAY10
I've listened the entire album 4 times by now and it will probably be the album i'll be liking more from Dimmu Borgir to this date. But, since I was never "into" them, it may also means that "old fans" will hate it or forget about it at best. As a fan of symphonic, yes I am enjoying it a lot. From their two singles i listened repeatedly "Council of Wolves and Snakes", which i think it's probably the best song of the entire album, but songs like "Alpha Aeon Omega" and "Aetheric" also hold itselves close.
05.05.2018 - 21:29
Have splitted feelings about this album unfortunately, to me It basically sounds like what the boss battle music in the Dark Souls games would be if it went metal XD
Nevertheless it's a good album \m/
06.05.2018 - 07:13
Lord Slothrop
Nothing amazing, but a lot more solid than I thought it would be. I've only given it a couple of listens, so at this point it's difficult to say whether it'll get better or worse with time. Hopefully better.

Hits total: 18560 | This month: 67