Metal Storm logo
Most Important Metallica Album

Original post

Posted by Black Mass, 03.05.2007 - 05:07
I'm sitting at my desk at work slugging away on a 150 page pavement design report (yawn) when I decided I needed some music to get me going. I pulled out my trusty ipod and chose Metallica. After listening to Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All, I began wondering which Metallica album is the most important. And by that I mean the album that had the biggest impact when it was released, the album that made them who they became and who they are today, the album that solidified their fan base and their place in the Heavy Metal music world.

For me, its Master Of Puppets. From the opening riff of Battery to the closing note of Damage Inc, the songs are well structured, powerful and remind me why Metallica were the first band I really got into all those years ago.

I did a search and couldn't find a similiar poll, so if there has been one already I apologise.
I also realise I have left of Garage Days Re-visited and S&M but decided they dont really rate in the poll.

Would love to read what anyone else has to say.

Poll

Which do you think is the most important Metallica album?

Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Kill 'Em All
Metallica (black album)
...And Justice For All
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Garage Days

Total votes: 255
16.06.2011 - 15:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Metal_4Ever on 16.06.2011 at 13:31

Well I think that "The Black Album" is the most Important, And it has the most important songs like:
If there wasn't that album, MetallicA would lose a lot of fans.

Metallica lost most of their real fans as a result of that drivel. Nothing more than commercial hard rock. Way to alienate your fanbase.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.06.2011 - 15:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.06.2011 at 12:47

Kill 'Em All.

Agreed. Everyone points to MoP has thrash's masterpiece - but if you don't have Kill 'Em All, you don't get MoP, or Metallica for that matter.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.06.2011 - 15:08
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.06.2011 at 15:00

Well I think that "The Black Album" is the most Important, And it has the most important songs like:

Metallica lost most of their real fans as a result of that drivel. Nothing more than commercial hard rock. Way to alienate your fanbase.

Hehe, well i wanted to say that when i first readed his post, but i didn't want to argue with that, because its pointless, but totally agree with you, Metallica lost their real fans starting from "The Black Album".
16.06.2011 - 19:21
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 16.06.2011 at 15:08

Hehe, well i wanted to say that when i first readed his post, but i didn't want to argue with that, because its pointless, but totally agree with you, Metallica lost their real fans starting from "The Black Album".

Well, seriously I have a different Point of view
And there are many People started like this band after that album including myself
16.06.2011 - 19:28
JD
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 16.06.2011 at 19:21

Written by Guest on 16.06.2011 at 15:08

Well, seriously I have a different Point of view
And there are many People started like this band after that album including myself

I get your point, I don't want to be rude or anything, but i guess in future you will understand why i said that about The Black Album
16.06.2011 - 19:48
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 16.06.2011 at 19:28

I get your point, I don't want to be rude or anything, but i guess in future you will understand why i said that about The Black Album

Ummmm, as you want
Waitin that day....
16.06.2011 - 23:22
king_matt
Kill 'em All was pretty much the debut thrash album and also one of Metallica's best.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
17.06.2011 - 05:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Metal_4Ever on 16.06.2011 at 19:21

there are many People started like this band after that album

Because they sold out. They made themselves into a commercial rock band. That's why their fanbase increased.
----
17.06.2011 - 05:05
Void Eater
Account deleted
Seeing as Kill'em All is the first full length thrash album, whether or no Metallica was the first thrash band, it is a hugely influential album.
18.06.2011 - 09:14
Shadrahk
Probably Kill em All. It was like the first thrash album(Unless I'm wrong)!
----
Guys, don't be racist. Racism is a crime. And crime is for niggers.
18.06.2011 - 23:18
Mattybu
I voted for Ride the Lightning. This is because it showed that they could expand on their music while keeping the essentials for what made it what it was... For a few years anyways. I find a lot of thrash bands fail to do this, and it can result in music that sounds too similar in each album and loses impact after a while.
19.06.2011 - 03:01
Doom Trooper
I would say Kill Em All. From what I understand KEA was the album that basically contained the sound that every band was trying to get at the time but couldn't quite achieve. It was not only a break through album for Metallica but also the album that broke thrash through. I think this would also go to show how important and great of a band Metallica were. A lot of people seem to forget how much of an impact they made in the 80's because of how big they are today.
19.06.2011 - 18:40
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Kill Em All. Essential for molding early thrash into the right form.
20.06.2011 - 00:44
baseyg
Although other Metallica are better (Ride the lightning is my favorite) i think the black album is the most important. It was really the first album to really bring Metal to the attention of everyone in the world and for good or better, it has really shaped not just metal, but the whole of popular culture. Its hard rock influenced metal inspired countless bands. Although not the best metal/ hard rock has spawned from its style (nickleback cough*). The black album is what bought many people to the genre of metal and no matter how bad you may think they are, Metal needs mainstream bands to bring new fans to the attention of the genre.
21.06.2011 - 20:13
GroundZero
I think "Kill 'Em All" and "Master of Puppets", the former was the official presentation of the "Thrash Metal" genre, and the latter is one of the best "Thrash Metal" albums ever.

My favourite is "...And Justice For All", though.
06.10.2012 - 06:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Master of Puppets is objectively the most influential of their albums.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.10.2012 - 13:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.10.2012 at 06:37

Master of Puppets is objectively the most influential of their albums I believe.

By using "I believe" you already showed that it is subjectively their most important album.

I say Ride The lightning is more important than Master due to it being the blueprint of Master looking at the way master is built up.

I would dare say Metalluica is their most important cause it propelled the band into the mainstream
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2012 - 13:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Well, I guess it all comes down to whether you see their most "important" album as the one that exposed them to the biggest audience, or the one that was the most influential on the metal world as a whole. If the latter is the criteria, then I'd say "Ride The Lightning" is definitely their most important album. And I'd say in terms of influence, all 4 of Metallica's 80's albums are more important than the black album. Then again, you could reasonably argue that all the 80's thrash bands who became more mainstream post-black album did so as a direct result of the Black Album's success. So it certainly did influence the metal scene at the time for sure...
06.10.2012 - 20:04
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2012 at 13:27

Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.10.2012 at 06:37

Master of Puppets is objectively the most influential of their albums I believe.

By using "I believe" you already showed that it is subjectively their most important album.

My bad, post edited.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.10.2012 - 09:31
SuicidalPunk
Account deleted
And Justice For All. At that time i think Metallica was at their best musically. And even during their Live Shit: Binge and Purge era they were really good. That album from 89 (which is right after AJFA) to 93 shows them at their best i think. I know pretty much everyone thinks its MOP, but their first three albums were just stepping stones, and although you cant hear the bass on AJFA worth shit i think that album is a masterpiece. No filler songs what so ever, and One may be one of the most overrated Metallica songs ever, its still a good song.
08.10.2012 - 11:16
Egigantea
By the looks of the poll it appears as the question is "which is your favorite Metallica album?"
KILL 'EM ALL has to be the most important Metallica album, it's common sense since it's the first Metallica album and maybe even first pure thrash metal album.