Metal Storm logo
In flames horrible sound quality

10.04.2018 - 14:41
frequenzangriff
I love the old in flames albums, of course i want to crank the volume to 11, but i have to listen to them at low volume, otherwise i get a bad headache (not kidding)

They sound high pitched and lack bass, dinamyc range is between 4 and 5.5.
The Re-issue only makes this worse, as all they did was to make them louder, deteriorating the quality even more. Compare them in audacity and you will se that there are hardly any peeks left?!
getting the vinyl would result in good quality and DR12, but they ar way too expensive and hard to get.

so i had to edit all songs and reduce the trebbly by 5.6 db, and now i can at least listen to them without the headache, but the quality isnt good, is muddy

This makes me really sad, angry even, because these albums are so bloody good and get ruined over bad production quality

This is more a rant, as there is sadly not a good solution, thanks for reading.
08.05.2018 - 12:15
EricAxel36
Jester Race through Colony sounds fine to me. Clayman is more on the low-end. And Reroute to Remain sounds super flat...
30.06.2018 - 23:12
Fulcrum
The most dynamic of all was Whoracle. Buying vinyl won't settle it, most vinyl presses today are not pure analogue recordings, they're derived from the master and just converted. I think most studios that issue vinyl consider it bought by fans that own old turntables from the 70's and cannot afford to buy a DVD off ebay for £5.

If you want analogue recordings, you need to look at record labels like Linn, Reference Recordings, CEC and so on but they don't do metal, mostly jazz and of the type no one listens to. Besides, In Flames' products since Colony have been, well, not worth the plastics required to stamp a vinyl.

The issue with dynamics is dynamic range. In a proper recording, overall output db would be low compared to today's crap hubs such as Apple Music, Spotify and etc. Problem is lots of music is consumed on portable devices and they have limited output. So studios come into help by raising the db of low volume passages but of course they cannot rise the peaks in amplitude as it would create clipping. So, an athlete's cardiograph is turned into a half-deadman and teenagers and users with crappy headphones are kept happy. All the rest - suck it up . The push towards digital formats due to their ease of distribution and lower costs already took its toll on music. When the CD's gone, all that woud remain would be crappy sources such a Apple Music and Last FM. Welcome to the future.