Metal Storm logo
The Gathering - Anneke Is Leaving The Band

Posted by the band on the official site:

Dear all,

We are very sorry to announce the fact that Anneke has decided to leave the band in August 2007. Anneke has several reasons not to be a member anymore. We really regret the fact we could not find a way to continue together. However, we will be working on new material with male & female vocalists. Expect a CD release somewhere in 2008.

With Anneke we've made great albums and did fantastic shows, which we are very proud of! We had a great time! We wish Anneke all the best for the future.

The remaining festivals we will play together with Anneke. No new gigs will be scheduled. The last gig with Anneke will be the Ankkarock Festival in Finland, the 4th of August. Also the new DVD 'A Noise Severe' as well as the double live CD will still be released this summer.

Frank, Hans, Marjolein & René.

Source: gathering.nl
Band profile: The Gathering
Posted: 06.06.2007 by Etaín

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 32   Visited by: 33 users
06.06.2007 - 02:56
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
This is the saddest day
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.06.2007 - 03:23
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Considering she was such a central figure in the band IMO... and what gave the band such a great sound in 1995, I don't know who could replace her... We shall see...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
06.06.2007 - 03:51
AntaeusM
Elite
hm.. I think Anneke is quite an essential part of the Gathering. They just aren't the same if Anneke isn't with them. Sad to hear she left the band.
06.06.2007 - 04:24
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Another leaving... again! what's hapening with female fronted bands?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
06.06.2007 - 04:30
Herzebeth
Oh My God NO!
----
06.06.2007 - 05:02
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
There is no God.....
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
06.06.2007 - 05:16
Bitch Boy
Written by Herzebeth on 06.06.2007 at 04:30

Oh My God NO!

Was that sarcasm dude??

Anyway, this is very very bad news
06.06.2007 - 06:09
BobMoron
This is sad. Just sad.
----
'The key to making Oscar Wilde quotes is to add '~ Oscar Wilde' at the end.' ~ Oscar Wilde
06.06.2007 - 07:26
Icewings
La Luna
WHAT'S GOING ONNNN
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
06.06.2007 - 09:28
Carrion
Account deleted
Hm Well I hope they find a good replacement.
06.06.2007 - 10:34
annodomini
i think when those womans got atention they left their bands to have a comercial luck( for a |BIG exemple Tarja)
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.06.2007 - 10:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I realy dont care because for me band died in eraly 90ties when stop playing death/doom but still its sad news
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2007 - 10:51
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Bad news indeed
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
06.06.2007 - 11:03
AAAARRRGGGHHH!! How could she?? How could she???
----
¸.?**?.¸*·I am following my fishie... because my fish knows where to go·*¸.?**?.¸
06.06.2007 - 11:51
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Really bad news. Nobody is irreplaceable, but she was such a central figure in the band as it was said.
06.06.2007 - 12:06
Ernis
狼獾
It seems to be like some sort of "great wandering of the singers"....first we had Tarja, then Vibeke, then Melissa leaving Aesma Daeva and replacing the vocalist of Visions of Atlantis who had previously left.....seriously.....something is going on......
06.06.2007 - 12:11
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Anneke was THE voice of Gathering, no doubt... And no doubt, the band won't be the same for me without her wonderful voice...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
06.06.2007 - 13:41
dancingdecember
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO please disband the band !! how can this happen?Anneke IS The Gathering,i would never think that she'd leave.she is not just another female vox in a band.she was somewhat special in this scene.i know they will continue to make good music but i think they should really disband now. the fact that i couldnt see them live coz the show was cancelled is killing me now man this news was so harsh...
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
06.06.2007 - 15:01
Elodie Artour
Slania
What's going on with most of the famous metal bands nowadays?!

@annodomini:There was a period when I hated Tarja,but I don't think it was(only)her fault. :
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
06.06.2007 - 16:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! OMFG noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! So I guess one of my greatest wishes will never come true... Seeing The Gathering live with Anneke...

For me she was the essence of The Gathering, her charisma and charm and incredible talent of songwriting, composing and singing was the core of The Gathering. I don't think this band can ever make such a great album as any they did so far as long as Van Giersbergen was in a band.

And I really wanna kick asses of everyone who compares THIS to departures of Stene, Turunen and such. They were important to their bands, no doubt, but they were merely vocalists. Anneke was much more to The Gathering, she was a composer and lyrics writer and really give The Gathering the charm that made this band so very unique. You can say whatever you want but noone sounds like The Gathering, because it's just impossible.

I guess this is over now... I will however wait for the band to release the album in 2008, but I won't have any expectations furtherwise.

And I just hope Anneke won't completely leave the (rock) music scene. It would be such a loss to lose her completely. However I respect her decision and wish her all the best.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
06.06.2007 - 16:19
metalwarrior1
Account deleted
thats a very sad news!!!
06.06.2007 - 16:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
pfew, finally. IMO they only recorded ONE good album with them (Manduylion) but I don't suspect them to go back to their GREAST death/doom roots but will instead keep on producing their mindbogglingly boring current brand of spacy rip-off Pink Floyd fodder.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.06.2007 - 18:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.06.2007 at 16:34

pfew, finally. IMO they only recorded ONE good album with them (Manduylion) but I don't suspect them to go back to their GREAST death/doom roots but will instead keep on producing their mindbogglingly boring current brand of spacy rip-off Pink Floyd fodder.

Thank you man about it i by you some beer some day because I thought Im only one here who dont like them only work I like are Manduylion in death/doom era

@all nowdays all female band members left bands its now like lifestyle and its in top
Tarja, Viveka, Anneke ... Cristina be next
----

apos;'
[image]
06.06.2007 - 21:00
Lupas
Maximus
Is this the world ends' what is happening to all bands, why all are leaving
Sad news to all Hope that this is not the end of this band
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
06.06.2007 - 21:41
Mother_North
first tarja than vibeke now anneke!!!!!!! what the hell is hapenning with the most talanted female voices? it won't be the same without her
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
06.06.2007 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mother_North on 06.06.2007 at 21:41

first tarja than vibeke now anneke!!!!!!! what the hell is hapenning with the most talanted female voices? it won't be the same without her

Well next will eb Angela Gasol from AE and then hmmm Simona

IMO all ppl more care about houe and family in that age, seems im only one who dont cfare about such thinks
----

apos;'
[image]
07.06.2007 - 06:14
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by Bad English on 06.06.2007 at 23:35

IMO all ppl more care about houe and family in that age, seems im only one who dont cfare about such thinks

Those damned reckless rock stars
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
07.06.2007 - 17:05
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Fuck man... my favourite female vocal...... Well, they beeter find someone reall y good or else....
----
09.06.2007 - 01:05
IronAngel
It's a huge loss. I had just recently got into the Gathering, and only because of Anneke's voice. I'm having a teenage fanboy crush for her, to be honest. She's just that good, her voice gives me the chills. There's depth and maturity to it, unlike most of the thin high-pitched voices in the scene.

I don't have high expectations of the future, because Anneke is really what caught my attention in The Gathering. The music isn't -that- good, though the latest albums have been interesting. I'm apparently one of the few that didn't like Mandylion, I prefer Nighttime Birds to it, and Souveneirs beats the crap out of them both. Sleepy Buildings is the best live album ever recorded, too.

Now, I still have the chance to see her live. Her very last concert in Ankkarock is only a 15-minute bikeride from my home. Should I go, or should I not? Meh, it's expensive, but it's her.
20.06.2007 - 23:52
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A The Gathering's press conference at the Artmania festival has been posted at Metalhead.ro. here. It's question of Anneke's departure of the band and vocalist search.

Hits total: 5012 | This month: 3