Metal Storm logo
Alcest

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 26.05.2006 - 15:44
Ressurecting another thread from the old forum. Alcest deserve one for themselves!

Discuss the band, or anything that deals with the band. I'll start:

Anyone that knows something about this band, music label, still active, that sort of things? I only know they are from France, but that's all.
19.07.2007 - 18:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Debut? The MCD or the coming album? It isn't out yet, till early August is it?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.07.2007 - 09:38
Eternal Flames
Written by BV on 19.07.2007 at 16:29

Interview with Neige

"Vocals have a minor role and in the first songs they are mainly concentrated to picture a sinister mood? what was your idea?"

"A sinister mood???.... That really bothers me that you should say that because that proves that I did not succeed in communicating what I had inside me... I just wanted to create a maternal chant, hypnotic and unreal, similar as to what i have heard in the fairy land; certainly not a "dark" chant. My melodies are strange but not stressfull, at least I hope not! The lousy production and strangled chant can maybe explain things. If you could have understood my texts, I don't think you would have said that because they are not texts on sadness or anxiety, I keep that for Mortifera. I plan to re record "Le secret" soon and include two tracks in one album, I hope that this time there will be no compromise as you are not the first person to feel my music as dark music."

"I know you're involved in other important bands of the French scene, can you explain what has been the starting inspiration and idea that moved the decision to start Alcest?"

"Alcest was my first black metal band. I created this project alone in 1999 and then i met Famine of Peste Noire with whom I recorded the first demo "Tristesse Hivernale". Not long after, Alcest became something much more personnal conceptually and musically, so then it became a solo project. At first, I created this project to do melancholic, cold and traditional Black Metal but the "new" Alcest is something completly different; a bridge between two worlds. Since my childhood, I've had the impression of being in contact with a luminous far off country, I have named it trivially "Fairy Land" but it is just a name. My goal with Alcest is to transpose in musique my memories of this Fairy Land, my visions, what I have felt because all of this is far too uncomprehensive and difficult to explain: I have a hard time to talk about it. These memories influence greatly my way of thinking and hold an important position in my existence."

I'm the only one that saw his "Fairy Land" when listening to "Le Secret" and when i first read this interview i was amazed by how I visioned what he was trying to create. I don't see how you could find "Souvenirs d'un autre monde" to be depressive. He used nice warm colors and fairly upbeat images depicted on the cover! I think the music and the clean vocals are even more uplifting sounding on this release.

Thank you for reading.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the vocals are what I found gave the music an uplifting beat. The riffs are what, in my opinion, sounded slightly melancholic to me. Now, maybe that is too harsh of a word to use, but still, I've listened to "Les Iris" for example a number of times now and I still find that that intro sounds more melancholic than uplifting. I can see some parts of certain songs that are certainly uplifting, and as I've mentioned, the vocals are so tranquil that is certainly does make it sound uplifting, yet still the riffs sound very melancholic to me. Maybe I still need to give the album a few more listens but each to their own in the end I suppose.

EDIT: Also, just wanted to add onto what I had previously said, if so many people have gotten the wrong impressions from his music and are finding it quite melancholic, Neige's intentions may be difficult for fans to perceive. But all in all, is it really that important to categorise the music anyway.
21.07.2007 - 11:17
Eternal Flames
Written by BV on 20.07.2007 at 20:24

Well perhaps on that specific song there is a piece of melancholy in the story. However, since neither of us speak french that will be a mystery to us. I haven't heard the new album yet since it's not even released for another month yet.

You should listen to Le Secret.

Good point. I've been trying to find Le Secret but haven't managed to. As I said, I got my copy of Souvenirs d'un autre monde from a friend, so I'm presuming that he downloaded a leaked version of it or he has a promotional copy of it... I really don't know. I will see if he also has Le Secret so I can give that a listen. Thanks.
16.08.2007 - 00:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
So, what are your opinions on the new album?

Personally, I think it's brilliant, because it's not brilliant. What I mean is, it is not one of those übergreat superduper releases, but it is a release that perfectly suits my tastes. I really, really love it.

And I should get an Tristesse Hivernale demo + Angmar/Alcest DLP soon.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.08.2007 - 15:57
Judas
The Amputator
I totally love the new release. It's not Black Metal whatsoever, in fact I'd be hard pressed to even call it Metal at all, but it's just bloody good music. I can't decide whether it's uplifting or sad. Perhaps 'nostalgic' would be the best word, because listening to it gives me a feeling of a great thing that happened long ago but that is being remembered, and that Neige is happy that it's happened but sad that it's over... The lyrics make for interesting reading too, for those Francophones among us. Beautiful nature poetry.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
17.08.2007 - 13:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'm glad I can't understand french, as I think a language that I don't understand makes it all the more interesting for me.

And I agree with you, eventhough Neige might call it uplifting, I can't agree. Nostalgic would be way better. Anyway, Alcest gets me more depressed than any other Suicidal BM or Funeral Doom band.
----

18.08.2007 - 10:14
BlackMin
Account deleted
Great band, just ordered their new album. Black Metal? I dont thinks so. In MCD, that description would fit barely but the new album is quite far away from black metal. Thers few "faster" black metallish guitar riffs there and there but that about the only thing what reminds me of black metal there.

Anyways, this band kills, seriously recommended for the fans of Agalloch and the likes.
20.08.2007 - 13:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just received the DLP and it looks prety sweet. Too bad, despite the obvious effort of Northern Silence the corners are still a bit damaged. But that is the main problem of LP's I suppose.
----

29.09.2007 - 20:07
Ellie
Account deleted
Alcest is a great band and Neige is simply a genius. Although I never really thought of them as being metal

I'm still glad someone made a thread about them.
29.09.2007 - 22:29
Damnated
Churchburner
i really don't like all the hype around Alcest these days. The full-length was decent at max, but overall pretty average.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.10.2007 - 05:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by BV on 19.07.2007 at 10:29

ALCEST IS NOT MELANCHOLIC!

come on! he sings about the nostalgia he feels for a fairy-land he dreamed about when a child!!! it's melancholic and melancholic in a very cheesy way!!!

there's nothing I can stad less than a French in touch with his feelings
04.10.2007 - 08:51
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Oh , thanks for the new album ..... I worship that album
04.10.2007 - 18:02
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Their full-length was pretty amazing when I first heard it, but after some time it loses the spark - still great, but nothing so special anymore.
05.10.2007 - 02:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I ordered the new album yesterday and I can't wait to get it. For some reason I thought it was going to sound completely different than the two songs on their MySpace page, but even though it sounded non-aggressive to the max, I still liked it enough to order it immediately. I've only heard those two songs, but I never got a "melancholic" vibe from it. Hell, just look at the album cover...
22.02.2008 - 20:38
NOИ
another great band from France. that's why they are first now, bye bye Norway.
20.06.2008 - 02:09
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Bahhhh, I can't find any Alcest anywhere, I only have Tristesse Hivernale/Aux Funérailles Du Monde, the split EP and that took me a while to find...I remember my dad told me about them, and said they were like Agalloch, so yeh..I love the whole atmospheric metal thing.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
20.06.2008 - 11:53
FOOCK Nam
IMO they have post-rock element for the 2007 debut. By the way, also IMO his music is full of French music influence.
20.06.2008 - 17:47
Candlemass
Defaeco
Black metal/Shoegaze
Its goddamn pretty good, very dreamy, very touching often.
Not something I hear on regular basis, but I do listen to them from time to time and enjoy them much.
Creative.
Will it enter my best of any list? maybe favorite Black metal albums.
20.06.2008 - 18:08
Varegan
Hamranakara
I love Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde, a real innovation in black metal, its music look so melancholic and that what i really need... and lyrics are quietly different and new, a new kind of black metal...
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
20.06.2008 - 19:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Candlemass on 20.06.2008 at 17:47

ta da...

http://www.metalstorm.ee/awards/categories.php?cat_id=16
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2008 - 20:45
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by BitterCOld on 20.06.2008 at 19:28

Written by Candlemass on 20.06.2008 at 17:47

ta da...

http://www.metalstorm.ee/awards/categories.php?cat_id=16

Hah...Debut maybe.
If it would apear in that place in the black metal list...thats unfair to black metal.
What is this album in the black metal realm? barely black metal, not core at all.
WOuld be very populist and would piss off pretty much black-metalers!

When I said my list, I mean I don't really like black metal that much, not Norwegian (the main black metal scene?) or ambient black metal.
Tho I do like what some call "post-black metal".
20.06.2008 - 20:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
which is why it was NOT on our black metal nominees list... so why beleaguer a moot point?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.06.2008 - 09:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 20.06.2008 at 11:53

IMO they have post-rock element for the 2007 debut. By the way, also IMO his music is full of French music influence.

No thay cust criate BM when drink some french wine and enjoy warm wind thats why its so awsoem and incridibile France is not Norway and Geograpchical locatin are important into metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2008 - 10:14
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bad English on 21.06.2008 at 09:49

Written by FOOCK Nam on 20.06.2008 at 11:53

No thay cust criate BM when drink some french wine and enjoy warm wind thats why its so awsoem and incridibile France is not Norway and Geograpchical locatin are important into metal

Well, I referred to Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde that is their only stuff I own. I disagree for that one, it is not black metal. It has distortion guitar but only so far that. It has shoegaze and in my own opinion also post rock element. I havent checked Le Secret, but I guess that first one is black metal.

Anyway, Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde is very wonderful stuff. Recommend me any bands that similar to that debut 2007.
15.08.2008 - 01:38
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
OMG i finally found a copy of Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde its made me so happy! ive been looking for it for like 2 months...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
10.09.2008 - 02:18
mortjoyeux
Ahhh Neige is excellent.
I love this band so much, the feelings I get while listening to Alcest are amazing.
I was really surprised about such low ratings on the full-length on other sites like EM, fucking lame.
I can listen to Souvenirs d'un autre monde on repeat for hours.
02.03.2010 - 23:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmmm.. seems Alcest will perform their first ever live show right here in Bucharest alongside Agalloch, or so i heard(i knew about the gig but thought it was just another concert).. if that's the case i'll most probably be there.
03.03.2010 - 01:14
xplanet2112
You lucky barstools! Agalloch AND Alcest?! What an excellent night...
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
03.03.2010 - 02:17
VPeter
Really looking forward to their new album, hopefully it will be just as awesome as the cover art. And the shoegaze element becoming more dominant.
03.03.2010 - 02:58
Galar
Wicked Mung
Seeing them May 1st at a Warehouse! Too good to be true.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK