Metal Storm logo
Pig Destroyer

11.06.2007 - 22:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pig Destroyer is without a doubt my favorite grindcore band, and one of my overall favorite bands of all time. Their first major album, Prowler in the Yard, is one of the best grindcore albums ever created. That album is intense from start to finish, and Brian Harvey and Scott Hull proved that they are some of the best musicians in the current extreme music scene.

Terrifyer was a step down from Prowler in the Yard, but I still consider that album to be almost perfect. It starts out extremely intense and shows more of their punk influences than the previous album. The concept that was created for the album is interesting and pretty out there, and the booklet even came with a 6 page or so short story that supplements the lyrics.

I just bought the new album, Phantom Limb, today and I must say that I'm not disappointed. Yeah, it's not as good as their previous releases, but it's still fucking Pig Destroyer. When I first heard the new single on their myspace page, and I was filled with dismay (lol). But after listening to the album, I can say that the song fits well, even though it is slower than most of their stuff. They kinda slacked on the layout though. There's no written story and no DVD this time, but I'm just glad that didn't completely turn trendy yet.
12.06.2007 - 00:52
spirit_inblack
harshhead
They are also my favorite grind band and it's quite surprising they never had a thread. Anyways, i love the fastm yet catchy riffage of guitar mastermind Scott Hull. He is the most underrated guitarist. His work with Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed in absolutely phenomenal! Brain Harvey is also quite underrated, and the vocalist, J.R. Hayes, has some of the most unique vocasl out there. He puts on very intense performances. I haven't bought the new album yet, but it will be interesting to see what the new member of the band added. It sure sounds like it'll a crushing album though.
12.06.2007 - 03:36
Herzebeth
Yep...one of the best bands in Grindcore history..along with Cephalic Carnage in my opinion

Anyway, I haven't heard their new album dudes, but I'll surely post what I think of it right here, I'm glad you (pyroleprechaun) liked it, you were saying you were waiting to hear something kinda sucky for their myspace song..and now you're saying the album as a whole is good...I now can't fucking wait to hear it for that statement...

as everyone here, my favorite album is still Prowler In The Yard, so experimental, so weird and bizarre, a grinding jewel ladies and gentlemen...
----
12.06.2007 - 06:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The only things that are disappointing about their new album is the fact that it doesn't appear to be a concept album and there aren't really any surprises with the music. Nothing really caught me off guard, except when I heard the song I initially thought sucked but somehow it worked well in the whole scheme of things. The last song is completely useless though....it's just like 8 minutes of crickets chirping.

I should mention though that I was fairly distracted while I listened to it, due to the fact that my fucking poodle hurt his neck and was yelping throughout the whole goddamn album...
12.08.2007 - 00:53
ScumSlayer666
Account deleted
Hi guys im a first time poster so go easy if u please
Ive known about these guys for a while through a love of Nasum and Napalm Death but somehow I never got round to listening to them. I heard Terrifyer a few months back and it just clicked with me. The song that caught me most was Downpour Girl, the breakdown riff is just so simple yet it never fails to move me. I then got all the other albums and I gotta say im fucking impressed.

Im still not entirely sure about Phantom Limb, as Pyro said, it does seem to lack a certain story arc that the others have but if u delve into the lyrics they are still as brutally moving as ever. Its by no means a bad album, if anything I think its more of a "grower" than the previous albums.
13.08.2007 - 09:53
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Yeah PD OWNS !!
14.08.2007 - 13:57
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
I only have Terrifyer so far. I need to get more, because it's an awesome album. Good band.
14.08.2007 - 18:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
I don't understand why they seem to be so popular..
I think they are alright but it's the vocals that get me most..
23.08.2007 - 00:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
After finding out that 38 Counts of Battery features their debut album, Explosions in Ward 6, I immediately had to buy it. And shit, that compilation is so incredible; even the demos sound great. This is probably my second favorite Pig Destroyer release, right behind Prowler in the Yard.

and what the fuck where did my sig and avatar go
10.06.2008 - 20:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Wow.. I discovered this band for about a week ago.
And it's just awesome, It's impressive the fact that they don't have a basist but still kick the shit out of me...

I'm going to download their stuff [I'm broke right now.. But I saw 38 Counts of Battery and [the sweet bobbies from] Terrifyer in the store.

I just have one question... WTF with the song Natasha?! I readed somewhere that it was a Doom metal song that they did.
It was strange since the brutality of the band... What kind of doom metal is that song?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2008 - 23:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I still don't know what Natasha is about. I can't remember if Natasha or just the regular album, Terrifyer, is related to the short story that's inside of the booklet. I put the DVD on for about 3 minutes and it just took too long to start so I got bored enough to turn it off and never play it again.
10.06.2008 - 23:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Aaaa ok.. as far as I know the DVD has something to do with the history of the album something like "The way Natasha became THE TERRIFYER and that kind of shit..."

Well.. This band is completely new for me... Any albums that are "dangerous" in the way that I probably wouldn't like it at all?
I heard only the songs from myspace and I can say that I love every second of them...

I'm more curious abut that doom metal song...
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2008 - 23:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
No, all four full lengths fucking rule. I bought them all and they're still one of my most played bands. Pig Destroyer almost ruins grindcore for me, because they're so much better than any other grindcore band I've ever heard. Almost every time I play a grind album, I have to follow it with Pig Destroyer, and every time I play a Pig Destroyer album, I cannot listen to anything grind or death afterwards. Everything else is either too slow or not executed as well.

I can't play them while driving my car though, lol. I usually end up speeding and doing blasts with my feet, and all the slow people in China Town get scared.
11.06.2008 - 00:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Ok man... thanks a lot.

I saved some money for a concert, but today I knew that it was impossible because it was way to expensive... So I have a lot of money and nothing to buy.
And in the store I found Terrifyer and 38 Counts of Battery... this gonna be sweet.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.06.2008 - 08:05
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Phantom Limb bored the shit out of me, but Prowler in the yard and 38 counts of battery= genius.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.06.2008 - 00:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I didn't like Phantom Limb at first either. It grew on me after four or five listens though.
20.06.2008 - 20:49
Candlemass
Defaeco
Oh yes they destroy....
What of the best modern Gridcore (or GrindXXX anything) there is out there.
I should still give a spin to there new cd Phantom Limb.
21.06.2008 - 21:46
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
These guys live should be quite intense, i can only imagine coming out of a Pig Destroyer concert, brain damaged and missing an arm Alright, maybe not that insane, i'll keep in mind of buying Phantom Limb and Prowler in the Yard someday.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
11.01.2009 - 21:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 23.08.2007 at 00:33

After finding out that 38 Counts of Battery features their debut album, Explosions in Ward 6, I immediately had to buy it. And shit, that compilation is so incredible; even the demos sound great. This is probably my second favorite Pig Destroyer release, right behind Prowler in the Yard.

I got that album after christmas. Really powerful shit ideed. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's the second best but that's a matter of tastes of course. I was suprised because the demosthat sounded so good. Althought I had some pain in my ears afterwards lol. That's probably why I need to listen to it more often so it grown on me a bit more.
But it's overall an awesome album and I don't regret buying it... It seems like they never disappoints.

I will definitely buy the two albums that I still don't have [Prowler In The Yard and Phantom Limb]. This guys became one of my favorite bands in time-record, really awesome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2009 - 01:02
mankvill
Awesome band, although I think I'm in the minority because I prefer Phantom Limb to their other releases.
12.01.2009 - 18:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by mankvill on 12.01.2009 at 01:02

Awesome band, although I think I'm in the minority because I prefer Phantom Limb to their other releases.

You're not alone. At times I think that albums is better too. But it's really diffuclt for me tosay that since I like their albums in a quite similar way so I can't really saya favorite.

But damn... The song Loathsome is one of the most catchiest and most brutal shit that I've ever heard and I have to give it several listenings before going to the next track
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2009 - 03:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well i got some of their albums and I'm still listening properly, Prowler in the Yard, Terrifyer and Phantom Limb, as well as "Painter of Dead Girls"and I like Terrifyer a lot, more than teh others, TBH.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2009 - 20:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 03:19

Well i got some of their albums and I'm still listening properly, Prowler in the Yard, Terrifyer and Phantom Limb, as well as "Painter of Dead Girls"and I like Terrifyer a lot, more than teh others, TBH.

Yeah... Terrifyer is probably my favorite as well sometimes it's just so intense and I sense some kind of melancholy in that album... Specially in the longest song "Towering Flesh", when the song goes calm and he starts to "sing" and then he just screams his cordes out is so frustrating.. almost depressive.
And also the riff in that song in the minute 1:05 is fucking scary... I don't know why... it's just morbid as hell... I also think that his screams are perfect in that cd.

But is impossible for me to choose I think all their stuff is worth checking out.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2009 - 06:53
dEAthB3D
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.06.2008 at 08:05

Phantom Limb bored the shit out of me, but Prowler in the yard and 38 counts of battery= genius.

I have an opposite opinion, i think phantom limb is great because of its concept and brilliant musicality, well still prefer prowler in the yard by the way....
Pig destroyer is the biggest and baddest ass in grindcore!!
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
23.11.2009 - 00:41
Zombie, M.D.
Terrifyer is probably one of the best metal albums in the past decade. J.R. Hayes writes some of the most beautifully disturbing lyrics I've ever read.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
10.07.2012 - 08:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Scott's failed bid for the new CD's cover and title.

Probably, this will be the title and artwork for their "yet-untitled" album
10.07.2012 - 09:38
The Turbanator
I have "Prowler In The Yard". Good album. But only that one I have. What other album of theirs is good?
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.07.2012 - 12:40
@gent_-_orange
Written by The Turbanator on 10.07.2012 at 09:38

I have "Prowler In The Yard". Good album. But only that one I have. What other album of theirs is good?

Terrifyer is the bands best in my opinion, you should definitely go for that next. I'd say its like Prowler only up a notch.
10.07.2012 - 14:02
The Turbanator
Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.07.2012 at 12:40

Terrifyer is the bands best in my opinion, you should definitely go for that next. I'd say its like Prowler only up a notch.

Good stuff. I'm on it now. Cheers buddy.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.07.2012 - 14:03
helofloki

All of them. Terrifyer is real good though, quite devastating. Only problem I have with Terrifyer and Phantom Limb is the drums don't sound as organic or dynamic. They started using triggers to make them sound 'bigger'. Some people really like this, but to me it takes away some of the feel. Still, I love both the albums. Also 38 counts is great if not a little raw. It'll still kick your ass.

BTW, just for reference, this band is amazing live. I've seen them twice. Heavier than you'd believe, especially with the lack of a bass player.