Metal Storm logo
Rob Halford vs Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest battle)

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 12.06.2007 - 11:37
Ok i want to see what you guys think of this questions... Disreguard reputation and history. Judge who you thinks is the better singer and what areas you think one is better than the other? It would be interesting to see conparisons in ther work these guys have done either on their own or in other bands.

For me i will cast a vote for "Ripper" Owens, because i have always liked his style even in JP. He his a screech so clean and clear, and the guy and roar with the best of them. Great range and emotions expressed in his voice...
As for Halford, i think the guy is amazing, he has probably the most high pitch screech of any other singer... At least of any male singer... He is very clean and a great show man, although he probably suits JP better than "Ripper", He is no where near as versatile a singer...

What do you guys think?

Poll

Who is better?

Rob Halford
Tim"Ripper" Owens

Total votes: 100
24.02.2008 - 23:20
Abattoir
Staff
Rob Halford of course...he makes Judas Priest perfect heavy metal band
06.04.2008 - 03:21
IronBlackZepp
Is this a joke, Halford of course.
06.04.2008 - 10:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Hahaha, just looking at the bar graph makes me laugh. Fortunately we have Halfords solo albums and Fight to wash down the Tim Owens crap.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.04.2008 - 21:51
Demonmayonnaise
Halford vs Owens.... Hmmm.... Halford of course. He could probably make The Rippers head explode with his amazing voice.
09.04.2008 - 08:59
Hellish Star
Halford, without any doubts.

The darkest Priest album is "Jugulator" and Tim Owens did an incredible job on it. It is a fantastic disc that shouldn't have been released under the name of Judas Priest...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.04.2008 - 04:36
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
nowadays, Ripper is WAY better simply because hes younger. thats pretty much what it comes down to. Halford's vocals in Priest's rising in the east DVD dont have the same OOOMPH power and force behind them like they used to. Ripper is younger and because of that, has time to work on his delivery (it needs work, stat) and with that time i think he'll be better than Halford, if hes not already.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.04.2008 - 10:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by LeChron James on 30.04.2008 at 04:36

nowadays, Ripper is WAY better simply because hes younger. thats pretty much what it comes down to. Halford's vocals in Priest's rising in the east DVD dont have the same OOOMPH power and force behind them like they used to. Ripper is younger and because of that, has time to work on his delivery (it needs work, stat) and with that time i think he'll be better than Halford, if hes not already.

well i consider priest's live meltdown to be ripper's peak, and priest's live vengeance to be halford's, and by that measure alone i consider halford to be better. nowadays yes he isn't what he used to be... *sigh*
30.04.2008 - 11:12
Judas
The Amputator
No fucking contest here. Halford v Ripper? Please. Anyone who doesn't pick Halford is deaf.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
03.05.2008 - 13:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Rob Halford for sure! this poll is so unfair!
21.11.2008 - 03:17
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Just remember No Halford = No Owens, come on, remember British Steel? a Judas Priest cover band, Owens is the disciple... Halford is the master, I like Owens but he needs "something" more, I don't know what, but he needs something to become as great as Halford.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.11.2008 - 04:54
mortjoyeux
ROBBBBBBBB
he makes judas priest, and fuck his vocals are just WAY too good
21.11.2008 - 06:48
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Judas on 30.04.2008 at 11:12

No fucking contest here. Halford v Ripper? Please. Anyone who doesn't pick Halford is deaf.

...lol well yes halford's voice is quite unique and way much better...ripper is excellent too but he's still behind halford...idk maybe he'll polish his vocals and such, but i don't think he'll achieve rob's level...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.02.2010 - 18:52
Adjuchas Shaman
Account deleted
Obviously Halford is better than Owens, but Bruce Dickinson is better than both.
20.02.2010 - 09:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
As much as I love the Ripper, he really isn't as good as Rob. At least not Rob when he was in his prime. I will say that Ripper did a good job when he was in Priest, and I like both of the albums he made with them. Especially "Jugulator" which is an amazing brutal metal album. Also, the first time I seen Priest live was with Ripper on vocals, and it was a great show! Although the first time I seen Priest live with Rob is the best gig Ive ever been to! So, much kudos to Ripper, but Halford in his prime, is my all time fave metal singer.

Written by Irritable Ted on 18.02.2010 at 22:46

Best Judas Priest Vocalist Kai Hansen, oops sorry easy to mix them up.

No it isnt...
22.02.2010 - 20:05
Scourge
Come on people! this is a joke. Halford of course...:banger:
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
22.02.2010 - 22:32
Charly546
Written by Scourge on 22.02.2010 at 20:05

Not a joke really, Owens is a great vocalist and can hold his own against Halford. Owens these days might even be better than Halford.
24.02.2010 - 01:34
ToMegaTherion
Written by Charly546 on 22.02.2010 at 22:32

Written by Scourge on 22.02.2010 at 20:05

Not a joke really, Owens is a great vocalist and can hold his own against Halford. Owens these days might even be better than Halford.

I agree that Owens is a great singer, Not many who can match him. However his biggest problem is that he has never really been involved in a successful project where he is the main man. Vocal are very distinctive esspecially in power/heavy metal.
Specific to Judas Priest, Halford is the man and a fantastic vocalist. Judas Priest's voice is Halford, It was the same when Halford went to Iced Earth, Owens did a great juob esspecially of Framing Armageddon, but Mat Barlow in that case the same here was/is the voice of Iced Earth.
I really hope to see Owens get involved in his own project which I believe he is,and I would love to hear a band where Owens is the voice. If Iwere to make a list of the best singers in metal Owens would certainly be there while Halford would be borderline, again same issue Halford is the voice of JP, Owens is not, is saying that Jugulator was a really great album.
16.05.2011 - 21:18
Ghostdancer
Rob Halford. Owens filled in for awhile...but Halford is the voice of Priest.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
12.09.2011 - 08:38
steve4m
Ok' Are You Retarded' The Question Was who Had a Better Voice' not what they did'' if you take Rob Halford at 28' and Ripper at 28' Ripper Hands Down
Rob Halford is One Of My Favorite singers' Hands Down'' i ,mean Songs like Run to the Mill' Dream Deciver'' fuck the late 80s stuff' Ram it down
is a Gay tittle' Common' and' Hell Bent For Leather' Great Song' But Gay album Tittle' And' Point Of Entry' Another Gay Album Tittlle' but anywo' who cares if he
likes Ass/Poopy Hairy cock and hairy asses'' What Does this Tell you' Glen Tipton' Said' Word for Word' Back in 06 2006' Even' While Halford was Back in the Band' For The BBc
Said' Rob Is a Better Song Writer' But Ripper' Had a Greater Range Thrn rob' Ever Had' Just Becuase' your Rob Freaks' and you dont like Change'' sorry but its true
Ripper Has The Greatest' Range in Metal History' Ever Ever Ever' The Stuff Rob' Did in Sad Wings is timless' alike Dream Deciever And The Intro To The ripper' And other Tracks off
Sin After sin'' Plus Exciter'' i have every Judas Preist albuim' ive been Singing along since i was 15' and im 37' now''' I Sing along with' rob Better' Cause he Has That Melody' And Beautiful Ring' but' Vocal Wise' Ripper 100000000000 time over' Sorry'' you all Fucking Stupid Mother fuckers' you know it and i know it' and the Stupidity of you fucking Homos' Who leaves' comment' Probably Havent Heard Anything Beyond The Radio' i can name ever priest song in 10 minutes' unlike you retards who commen'' oh rob way better' your just sayting that to make you look Cool' and like you know what talking about' You. fucking tweakers''''''' Beside The New Shit is terrible' the shit they put out now'' its hard to To Watch rob
Sing' Its Really Sad'' why try to Sing the old shit' when you cant even hit anything besides sounding like a raspy smoker'' he needs to Hang it up'' Rob Shou;d Do A Black metal album and stop touring and making shitty Sub par Priest album' Judas Rising' is the only Good ?song Since 1990' and he hasent sounded good since 1988'' the 1990 Tour'' Was Allright' Ripper' Can do anyting'' go listen to hey June'' Cover of the beatles'' Mygod'' and go listnen to Abigail' King Diamond Cover'' Epic'' his play my game is terrible'' really bad' but he's better' Singer hands down
12.09.2011 - 19:12
Glaucus
Man, totally Rob Halford. Every argument, if it can be called that, is already for Halford, haha.

I think someone should make a thread for Bruce Dickinson vs. Blaze Bayley... Another no contest, in my opinion, haha.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
12.09.2011 - 22:14
Lit.
Account deleted
4 people better run....
14.09.2011 - 03:14
blacktooth85
I went with Halford of course, but a lot of you aren't giving Ripper the credit he deserves. Obviously Rob IS the voice of Priest, but Ripper Owens is an amazing vocalist. He's kickin' ass in Charred Walls of the Damned with Richard Christy and Steve DiGiorgio.
14.09.2011 - 03:35
JCJen7
Written by steve4m on 12.09.2011 at 08:38

Ok' Are You Retarded' The Question Was who Had a Better Voice' not what they did'' if you take Rob Halford at 28' and Ripper at 28' Ripper Hands Down
Rob Halford is One Of My Favorite singers' Hands Down'' i ,mean Songs like Run to the Mill' Dream Deciver'' fuck the late 80s stuff' Ram it down
is a Gay tittle' Common' and' Hell Bent For Leather' Great Song' But Gay album Tittle' And' Point Of Entry' Another Gay Album Tittlle' but anywo' who cares if he
likes Ass/Poopy Hairy cock and hairy asses'' What Does this Tell you' Glen Tipton' Said' Word for Word' Back in 06 2006' Even' While Halford was Back in the Band' For The BBc
Said' Rob Is a Better Song Writer' But Ripper' Had a Greater Range Thrn rob' Ever Had' Just Becuase' your Rob Freaks' and you dont like Change'' sorry but its true
Ripper Has The Greatest' Range in Metal History' Ever Ever Ever' The Stuff Rob' Did in Sad Wings is timless' alike Dream Deciever And The Intro To The ripper' And other Tracks off
Sin After sin'' Plus Exciter'' i have every Judas Preist albuim' ive been Singing along since i was 15' and im 37' now''' I Sing along with' rob Better' Cause he Has That Melody' And Beautiful Ring' but' Vocal Wise' Ripper 100000000000 time over' Sorry'' you all Fucking Stupid Mother fuckers' you know it and i know it' and the Stupidity of you fucking Homos' Who leaves' comment' Probably Havent Heard Anything Beyond The Radio' i can name ever priest song in 10 minutes' unlike you retards who commen'' oh rob way better' your just sayting that to make you look Cool' and like you know what talking about' You. fucking tweakers''''''' Beside The New Shit is terrible' the shit they put out now'' its hard to To Watch rob
Sing' Its Really Sad'' why try to Sing the old shit' when you cant even hit anything besides sounding like a raspy smoker'' he needs to Hang it up'' Rob Shou;d Do A Black metal album and stop touring and making shitty Sub par Priest album' Judas Rising' is the only Good ?song Since 1990' and he hasent sounded good since 1988'' the 1990 Tour'' Was Allright' Ripper' Can do anyting'' go listen to hey June'' Cover of the beatles'' Mygod'' and go listnen to Abigail' King Diamond Cover'' Epic'' his play my game is terrible'' really bad' but he's better' Singer hands down

I am confused what is happening. IS THIS GONNA BE FOREVER
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
17.09.2011 - 15:58
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Halford is very awesome. I don't hate Ripper, but Halford created the metal look and was the greatest metal vocalist of his time.
17.02.2017 - 13:19
nikarg
Staff
Is this actually a question? Rob is the greatest singer in metal history.
12.06.2017 - 20:26
Antares8001
Nowadays Ripper obviously wipes the floor with Halford, but with both of them on their prime Halford takes the cake in pretty much every department.
31.10.2017 - 22:17
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 17.02.2017 at 13:19

Is this actually a question?

I was going to say the same thing.
06.12.2017 - 00:08
Galvenstaid
Halford.
I don't think I need to explain. Rob Halford's voice explains my choice enough