Metal Storm logo
TV Series You're Watching

Original post

Posted by Ragana, 05.12.2011 - 22:16
I watched the show before I knew it was based on books but few months ago I started to read the first book (haven't had the chance to read anything besides study materials ever since) and I guess I'm glad I already knew what all characters look like. anyway, recently I spotted the other four books in a bookstore and I think I'll make an exception and buy them (I rarely buy fiction books as I just read them once and then put away, so what's the point of that?)... winter's the coolest season for reading books.

plus, if one's worrying about the language... well, um, practice makes perfect, right? reading books is one of the best ways how to improve your knowledge in any language.
11.12.2021 - 04:42
no one
I'm a killer (tv series)

Some of these young guys trying to be tough probably wouldn't have life sentences if guns weren't available, not to start a gun debate but it seems pretty clear. There are tough guy youngsters trying to prove themselves like that over here but it rarely ends in murder.

All in all pretty good, I like how both sides of the story get a good say and then they both listen to each other's explanations later.
----
Unable to connect to the database
12.12.2021 - 18:07
ylside
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 10.12.2021 at 02:43

watching the last season of Lost In Space now. Unlike most Western shows that pop up on NF now, not that tired "Man bad, woman awesome" - like the fact all five family members are capable, have strengths and flaws/issues. Biggest problem with the show is it tries too hard to ramp the tension up past 11 to 12. It's the streaming equivalent of an Uncharted game. You *know* every single thing that can go wrong will.

Will check this Lost in Space then I guess, I ONLY just watched the great Firefly recently and wanted something in the vein !

Written by Metren on 09.12.2021 at 21:22

My English may have failed me as I was attempting to explain why I loved the show... I didn’t think Midnight Mass was “scary” either, nor was it “horrifying” in the sense that it never had me cowering behind a metaphorical sofa waiting for something to frighten me. Midnight Mass was - for me, anyway - a very believable and captivating show in how it made me identify with the rational people in the series and watch in terror as the bad things happened to the characters who’d collectively surrendered their critical faculties. It’s that dread of being the only reasonable person in a room full of otherwise normal adults that have gone insane without actually being insane and having no way to reason with them that the show induced in me so well.

Oh ok I get it now thanks for clarifying
12.12.2021 - 21:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by ylside on 12.12.2021 at 18:07

Will check this Lost in Space then I guess, I ONLY just watched the great Firefly recently and wanted something in the vein !

Not really close outside the space thing. Sci Fi with action and some suspense ratcheted up just because not do things go wrong, but EVERYTHING goes wrong. Would be nice if some episodes slowed it down a bit.

Oh, and happy happy joy joy there is talk of a Firefly reboot now. Hooray. I'm sure they won't fuck it up at all.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.12.2021 - 00:23
ylside
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 12.12.2021 at 21:11

Oh, and happy happy joy joy there is talk of a Firefly reboot now. Hooray. I'm sure they won't fuck it up at all.

Ah yes..., heard about that lol
One could wager on how horrible it will be.

I forgot to put this in my previous message, but I highly HIGHLY recommend The Sandbaggers (1978) to anyone interested in realistic espionage. Excellent series that doesn't take the viewer for an idiot.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077078/
23.12.2021 - 17:42
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain and wow, what a great anime. I really like confusing stuff like that.
Other than that I've been watching Dexter New Blood and it's pretty good so far, though some aspects leave to be desired sadly, but still it's miles above the last two seasons of Dexter.
27.12.2021 - 17:27
Metal Rasputin
Just finished watching HBO's Spawn the animated series and it's awesome. It's so dark it's almost unintentionally funny, literally every character is either a homeless bum, prostitute, pervert, gangster or something similar. I presume even the vague plot was more or less purposefully made that way because in horror fantasy not everything is supposed to be rational but more mystical and nightmarish. The atmosphere of the show is some of the best I've experienced in ages, the sound design especially is amazingly well made. This version of Spawn easily kills those lamestream MCU and DC films any day of the week, but the live action version sucks hard.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
29.12.2021 - 14:34
ylside
Staff
I have just finished watching post apocalyptic russian series "To The Lake". 3/10

Again, same subtext pattern : "All men are retards".

Main hero : Left first wife with a kid because couldn't hold 2 months without intercourse (she just had her kid).
Hero's stepson : Socially inept autist who learns trivia by heart.
Hero's dad : Insensitive alcoholic who "didn't know how to raise kids" because soviet something, gets berserk when drunk.
Hero's friend : Sex obssessed "nouveau riche" or just rich bastard.
Wife with kid's love interest : Nerdy doctor who can't handle himself in a fight, can't even talk properly, scared of putting contact lenses until woman forces him to.

TV doesn't want real heroes anymore, only broken men it seems.
I'm not telling you anything new here, but it's good to "notice" these things.

(I didn't spoil anything for you, there isn't anything to spoil to begin with, very shallow story - if story at all.)
12.01.2022 - 08:28
Metal Rasputin
I had my mind blown to smithereens by a Rambo cartoon from the 80's. I know it's for kids, but good lord is it so much fun! Like, imagine the dumbest films Steven Seagal has ever made and put in John Rambo to do his usual stuff. Because it's for kids there's shitton of stupid humor and moral lessons and some of the most awful one-liners I have ever heard in my life. The action is so over the top it's awesome, like Rambo sinks every damn battleship and shoots down planes and even nuclear missiles, but because of censorship nobody ever hits anything with their guns or gets hurt. That's because the people who made the show realized that there's a fine line between violence and action and that's how they could go extreme with the latter without breaking any rules.

The best (and most bonkers) episode in the whole series is the one where a group of international terrorists kidnap Santa Claus and Rambo has to go teach those evil men what Christmas is really all about... in his own merry and loving way. In this episode alone Rambo rides Santa's sleigh while being chased by a battle helicopter. It's insane and over the top, but that's just how it should be. I can't believe I just found out recently about this gem, it's so entertaining and full of unintentionally hilarious stuff it should be taught in schools.

This cartoon is THE definite proof that God does exist.
----
15.03.2022 - 19:35
no one
Just finished vikings Valhalla.

Thought this was just going to be some more money milking shit but I really enjoyed it. A lot better than those last seasons of the original.
----
16.03.2022 - 19:38
IronAngel
Finally got around to starting The Orville. It's fantastic. Although the concept feels a bit uneasy: it's supposed to parody Star Trek, but it's so close to actually being Star Trek (and in some ways, it's even better, when it's serious) that the line between parody, plagiarism and homage gets very blurred.
23.03.2022 - 21:56
no one
The Dark side of the 90s

Im liking this so far even though I think it could have been done a lot better. It lacks depth and lacked the nostalgic feel I was hoping for growing up in that era.

The best episodes so far is the sub pop record label grunge era, and the talkshow episode. Forgot and never realized at the time how fucked up Jerry Springer was.
----
28.03.2022 - 15:11
ylside
Staff
Just started Callan (1967), good, dark and gritty spy show.
Pilot episode "A Magnum for Schneider" and others are on youtube.
29.03.2022 - 01:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by IronAngel on 16.03.2022 at 19:38

Finally got around to starting The Orville. It's fantastic. Although the concept feels a bit uneasy: it's supposed to parody Star Trek, but it's so close to actually being Star Trek (and in some ways, it's even better, when it's serious) that the line between parody, plagiarism and homage gets very blurred.

Seth MacFarlane wanted to do something more akin to Star Trek TNG, but the network demanded a comedy thinking it wouldn't sell with viewers. It's a blurry line but it at least honors the spirit of the OG Treks as opposed to the current Kurtzman Trek.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2022 - 07:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A bunch of Nordic series as Gåsmamman, Älven, Wisting, Torn , Bäckström and so on... usually Swedish and Norwegian. Danish is OK; but I hate their language, it rapes your ears, and I hate read a subtitles. But I found Torn a Farao serie, what a language, few equal worlds, rest is even worst as Danish, now maybe I will see some Danish series
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.05.2022 - 12:51
ylside
Staff
I stood through 5 episodes of Lars Von Trier's The Kingdom (Riget), what an abomination...
26.05.2022 - 14:03
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Finally watched Breaking Bad and holy shit what a blast. It's rare for a show to stay consistent for 5 seasons, but Breaking Bad did the impossible and improved with each season. Truly a masterpiece that I won't forget anytime soon.
26.05.2022 - 23:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeha Breaking Bad is/was great. I never watched the Saul thing but I liked that show very much
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.05.2022 - 10:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Narc and Phoenix.. My tribute to Ray Liotta.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.06.2022 - 12:02
Metren
Dreadrealm
Stranger Things season 4 is actually pretty damn good so far (I'm 4 episodes in). The villain feels like a genuine threat again, the horror elements are rather terrifying, the comedy has been toned down to where it fits with the tone the show's going for and there're are plenty of surprises too. After seasons 2 and 3 dropped the ball and shit the bed so fucking hard, I wasn't expecting much from season 4, but I am really enjoying it so far.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
05.06.2022 - 20:43
Metal Rasputin
Been re-watching good old Tales from the Crypt lately. I miss the good old times when Hollywood still produced shows like this: unapologetically funny horror anthology with huge production qualities and top directors and actors making some the best and most daring stuff of their entire careers. Every episode (except one) is based on classic horror comics of the 50's and the series emulates the kind of morbidly humoristic and grotesque style perfectly.

The first three seasons are killer stuff, but after that the quality begins to vary from top episodes to just crap. The final episode is one of the best, it's the only original story of the series that's not based on the comics: a gory re-telling of Three Little Pigs, which was animated by the same studio which did Care Bears back in the 80's. Knowing the style of the show, the irony of the situation must have been intentional.
----
13.06.2022 - 02:00
ylside
Staff
Written by Metren on 04.06.2022 at 12:02

Stranger Things season 4 is actually pretty damn good so far (I'm 4 episodes in). The villain feels like a genuine threat again, the horror elements are rather terrifying, the comedy has been toned down to where it fits with the tone the show's going for and there're are plenty of surprises too. After seasons 2 and 3 dropped the ball and shit the bed so fucking hard, I wasn't expecting much from season 4, but I am really enjoying it so far.

It was nice indeed, also felt much darker than the previous seasons
14.06.2022 - 14:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Metren on 04.06.2022 at 12:02

I am enjoying the primary plot, like the new character they introduced. Not a fan of the B Plot, I find that even more implausible ffs.

IMDB Episode guide already has a placeholder for 5.1 - worried about another season as all the kids grow up. Iffy on that.

If anything they have a formula and I think they might be better off doing this as an anthology series after the next one. A season or two with a different cast and different stories set in the same universe might be cool. And replacing the rather large cast will keep costs down as I know Netflix is hurting and the bleeding won't stop any time soon.
----

14.06.2022 - 18:12
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by BitterCOld on 14.06.2022 at 14:30

IMDB Episode guide already has a placeholder for 5.1 - worried about another season as all the kids grow up. Iffy on that.

From what I've read, a 5th season is getting made but it will be the last one.
04.10.2022 - 19:03
no one
Dahmer

Really good, probably the best serial killer series I've seen yet.

I do think it's kind of stink that they didn't tell the victims family's they were making it through.
----
30.12.2022 - 16:32
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I just binge watched the newest anime Chainsaw Man. It was sooo addicting! Fantastic storytelling how in each episode you get hints about the motivations and backstory of each character, and the world building is so intriguing with all the monsters (called "devils") and their powers. It's got great humor, heart-wrenching emotion, chilling enemies, unexpected twists, unexplained mysteries, and fun gory action! The animation quality is also incredible - I can't imagine how much work it took to create...
The first season was only 12 episodes long, and the second season is rumored to come end of 2023/beginning of 2024. I can't wait!
05.01.2023 - 17:51
nonZero
Favourite shows of all time:
1. Breaking Bad
2. The Sopranos
3. Game of Thrones
4. Dexter
5. The Office (US)

Currently watching Severance (9/10) which is amazing! Highly recommend if you're a fan of thought-provoking sci-fi/drama.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
06.01.2023 - 21:33
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by nonZero on 05.01.2023 at 17:51

5. The Office (US)
4. Dexter
3. Game of Thrones
2. The Sopranos
1. Breaking Bad

Currently watching Severance (9/10) which is amazing! Highly recommend if you're a fan of thought-provoking sci-fi/drama.

Surprised to see Dexter and GoT here given their controversial final few seasons
07.01.2023 - 20:48
nonZero
Written by Roman Doez on 06.01.2023 at 21:33

Written by nonZero on 05.01.2023 at 17:51

5. The Office (US)
4. Dexter
3. Game of Thrones
2. The Sopranos
1. Breaking Bad

Surprised to see Dexter and GoT here given their controversial final few seasons

Most of the seasons for those two are amazing in my books, that and the overall premise of the shows make them some of my favourites. I try not to judge something on its lowest points (even if the end isn't as strong).
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
10.01.2023 - 08:42
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I finally finished watching Death Note (2006-2007). I got the 37-episode-DVD-boxset for Christmas and watched them with my family over the holidays.

And man, what a thriller it was to the very end. Great suspense, animation, and voice acting as well as impactfully presented lessons about mortality and hubris.
13.02.2023 - 18:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
The Last of Us

Recreated from a Naughty Dog developer video game. This mutant bacterial fungus Cordyceps is outraged globally turning humans into a real-life zombie and this show perfectly encompasses bridging the gap between fictional and real-life scientific outbreaks.