Metal Storm logo
Tangerine Dream

15.07.2007 - 01:29
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
My favorite Electronic Prog group. Tangerine Dream were formed in 1967 by Edgar Froese. An early line up had one of my all time favorite composers (my favorite being Koichi Sugiyama, havent heard of him? well ask me about him!) and musicians, Klaus Schulze. This topic isn't about that genius of a man though. Anyway their most well-known and stable line up was Froese, Franke, and Baumann. They have done numerous film soundtracks including Risky Business with a certain Tom Cruise. My favorite albums are Stratosfear and Rubycon.
29.07.2007 - 08:48
Amethyst
Account deleted
I really enjoyed "Ricochet" and "Underwater sunlight"

Beautyful songs, brilliant use of synthes.
30.07.2007 - 19:14
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 15.07.2007 at 01:29

They have done numerous film soundtracks including Risky Business with a certain Tom Cruise.

*COUGH* what about the best movie Tom Cruise ever did, Legend? They did the sound track for that!

Just an amazing band. I am trying to get more of their material, but they are so hard to find.
----
(space for rent)
01.08.2007 - 17:10
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ Hemlock ? - you should try ebay.

Ebay uk always has a lot of their albums.

I don't know a lot about Tangerine Dream , they are not my 'thing' , but my husband has a lot of their cds.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
01.08.2007 - 23:52
wrathchild
Staff
Never really head their music, but I've got some trivia about them: they inspired the makers of the first computer I got, the Oric, made by a UK company formerly known as "Tangerine". Of course, the fact Apple had been successful with a fruit name was even more influencial.

The motto they used for the paper ads was "Oric-1 - not just a Tangerine dream".
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
02.08.2007 - 10:51
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Finally some posting in this forum, I learned some stuff I never even knew! Thanks to Wrathchild (for some really interesting info) and Hemlock for reminding me of that movie, my personal fav with Tom Cruise (though I hate the man) is Rain Man if you are curious. Yes their stuff is very very hard to find, but they have released so much stuff, it's kind of inevitable. If you can, however, get stratosfear!! you won't be disappointed!!!
02.08.2007 - 17:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Do you know if there is some like uber box set of their music out there?
----
(space for rent)
23.08.2007 - 08:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 02.08.2007 at 17:08

Do you know if there is some like uber box set of their music out there?

Well they have some compilation albums that are pretty good places to find some early TD work, but nothing with a bunch of albums as far as I know. Their compilation albums would still be really good to get.
03.08.2010 - 16:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Just started exploring Tangerine Dream and loving what little I've heard. Any recs on what their best work is?
06.08.2010 - 22:20
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.08.2010 at 16:45

Just started exploring Tangerine Dream and loving what little I've heard. Any recs on what their best work is?

check out the albums from 1974 to 1983 first, some of their classic albums are during those times (Phaedra, Rubicon, Riccochet, Cyclone, White Eagle, Thief to name a few).
06.08.2010 - 22:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.08.2010 at 22:20

Written by Guest on 03.08.2010 at 16:45

check out the albums from 1974 to 1983 first, some of their classic albums are during those times (Phaedra, Rubicon, Riccochet, Cyclone, White Eagle, Thief to name a few).

Excellent, thanks very much. Have Phaedra already so will check the rest out.
07.08.2010 - 21:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Listening to the likes of Rubycon, Phaedra and well, most of their stuff really, it's pretty apparent the creators of Mass Effect took great inspiration from Tangerine Dream in creating the musical score for the games. Which is a bit awesome.
18.08.2011 - 16:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quite surprised to hear how much Tangerine Dream-worship there is in the new Prurient album 'Bermuda Brain', an artist who usually makes harsh noise. Pretty much abandoned that approach now. Can't say I mind, Bermuda Brain is excellent.

Suppose I should check out the new Tangerine Dream albums too.
21.08.2011 - 17:20
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 16:44

Listen to "Tangram" before, if you haven't already. That's one of my favorites.
21.08.2011 - 17:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 17:20

Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 16:44

Listen to "Tangram" before, if you haven't already. That's one of my favorites.

Tangram is so-so at best I found, doesn't compare to the earlier work; far too beat and techo driven. Certainly better than one of the new ones I just tried: 'The Island Of The Fay' - found it quite twee and boring.
21.08.2011 - 17:52
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 17:36

Tangram is so-so at best I found, doesn't compare to the earlier work; far too beat and techo driven.

Funny how tastes differ. Not that I don't like their earlier works.
22.08.2011 - 01:19
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I've always found Stratosfear and Force Majeure largely underrated.

But from the later efforts I've been enjoying Underwater Sunlight.
23.08.2011 - 22:35
IronAngel
I like Krautrock, Tangerine Dream among others, but I must say I prefer some of their contemporaries who did similar stuff outside the scene. The classically trained minimalists like Terry Riley and Steve Reich, of course, but also Brian Eno's ambient and the avant-garde jazz of Ornette Coleman and Sun-Ra. Maybe modern music has spoiled me, but there's something about the crude and cold electronic sounds of Tangerine Dream that don't really hit any particular emotional chord with me. Not to the extent that I would fall in love with them, anyway. But yeah, good band, along with Faust and Amon Düül II in particular.
17.10.2012 - 20:47
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I'm listening to Zeit now.... for 74 minutes the world stopped.
24.01.2015 - 07:08
bj_waters
I know I'm necro-ing a kind of old thread, but I figured this is relevant enough for those interested.

Edgar Froese died this week. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/edgar-froese-dies/

I don't know how much of an impact he (and TD) had on heavy metal specifically, but I know his impact and influence is huge with contemporary music in general and especially in electronic genres. I wonder if his son will carry on the Dream or if this is the end.
24.01.2015 - 13:46
IronAngel
Oh wow, I was so full of shit in 2011. Tangerine Dream are the tits, some of my most frequently played CDs lately, so much better than most of their contemporaries in progressive electronic, krautrock and minimalism.

That is sad news about Froese. I haven't heard the latest TD work (there were new albums just last year), but I'm sure they would have been relevant. I mostly listen to what may be their golden era from the mid-70s to the early 80s, but I've never heard them make a total dud. I need to go through their back catalogue more thoroughly, I think.