Metal Storm logo
Symphony X, Belo Horizonte, Brazil 15.06.2007

Event: Symphony X
Written by: Fierce Deity
Published: 08.07.2007

Although I like progressive metal, I've never seen a live performance by a progressive metal band - Symphony X was the first one. I must confess, I was kind of afraid of what I would see. I really don't care about small differences between live and studio performances in the songs, but I hate when the musicians just stare at their instruments and play like robots, as if they where recording a new album. So I went to the venue thinking wondering if Symphony X would focus on "live perfection" and just play or if there would be some good feeling and energy?

Sadly, when I arrived, the first opening act, Mindflow, was already playing. It was the first time I listened to their music and I must say, that's a very good band. I really want to check their albums after seeing such a good concert. And, as if their songs weren't good enough, the band made a cover for Ozzy Osbourne's "Perry Mason". Enough to warm me up for Symphony X.

After Mindflow, it was time for a second opening act: Hargos. According to the band members there were some problems during the show and the band couldn't show all the songs they wanted to. Anyway, I don't think Hargos was the best choice of support for Symphony X.

So there we were, much more than a thousand fans waiting in that hot venue on that hot Friday, and at 23:00, we all could release our "welcome screams" and jump and bang our heads. The band started with four heavy songs: "Of Sins And Shadows", "Domination", "Inferno" and "Evolution". The second one, from the new album "Paradise Lost", was certainly a very good surprise and a reason to buy the album (I just waiting for the next pay day). Only with four songs I could already answer the question in the first paragraph: the energy of the band is awesome and Russell is a very good frontman - he even "danced" a little during our "Symphony, Symphony" screams and asked for a massive blow form the audience (it seems that it was hot on the stage too).

After this killer beginning Russell said it was time to "slow down". And so they played the beautiful "Communion And The Oracle". But that's all, no more slow songs after that: the next one was the heavy "Smoke And Mirrors", followed by two other songs from "Paradise Lost", "Set The World On Fire" (one of my favorites now) and "Serpent's Kiss".

The band takes a little break and Romeo and LePond engage in a guitar/bass duel. And, damn, these two know how to play! In my opinion, LePond did the best performance, tied with Russell, who really as good as he does in the studio albums. The duel was followed by "Sea of Lies", one of the best songs of the night. It was evident on everyone's feces that this one really worked very well.

The band leaves the stage for a moment and, while everyone is screaming "Odyssey", someone started talking with me about that song. The question: is it a good thing to play such a long song in a show? Wouldn't be better to play four or five songs instead?
I couldn't answer, so we just waited for the band to come back and play for 24 minutes.
"The Odyssey" was the last song, and the best, no doubt. A (long) moment that will surely be remembered by every lucky fan. Everything was better during that song: the sound, the lights, Russell's voice and the amazing keyboard work. So we agreed that it wouldn't be better to replace "The Odyssey" and play other songs - at least not when the is played with such perfection.

At the end, there was only one bad thing: it wasn't long enough. Only 1h 40mins is much less than what I expected. I would be way happier with extra, let's say, 13 minutes, the duration of "Through The Looking Glass"?
Anyway, time was a small detail. It was only 1h 40mins but it was one hell of a show! I hope to see Symphony X again as soon as possible. And I think everyone should do the same.

Of Sins And Shadows
Domination
Inferno (Unleash The Fire)
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Communion And The Oracle
Smoke And Mirrors
Set The World On Fire (The Lie Of Lies)
The Serpent's Kiss
Sea Of Lies
----------
The Odyssey

Pictures by Raphael

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 8 users
16.07.2007 - 18:07
Sheol
Good review. Gonna see them with Dream Theater in Sweden the 28th September. I can't wait!
17.07.2007 - 04:06
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Sheol on 16.07.2007 at 18:07

Good review. Gonna see them with Dream Theater in Sweden the 28th September. I can't wait!

You made me jelous =( I wish I could see them live with DT, but one day I will!
----
17.07.2007 - 05:20
PowerMetal
Account deleted
I'm seeing them a week from today in the States. I cannot freaking wait! I'll have to stir up the crowd if they'll play Odyssey. Very good review, hope I have at least as great a time.
17.07.2007 - 18:48
good review.... i'll be seeing them tomorrow at the Opera House in Toronto.... hope it's a really good show...:banger2:
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
18.07.2007 - 21:10
Endoftherainbow
Written by ShadowedFire88 on 17.07.2007 at 18:48

good review.... i'll be seeing them tomorrow at the Opera House in Toronto.... hope it's a really good show...:banger2:

Yeah I'm going to that show aswell it should be a good one I haven't seen Symphony X in awhile so I'm pretty pumped. They're fucking amazing live.
18.07.2007 - 21:19
nb
I will drive two hours on Friday to see them in Cleveland, I am sure it is worth the ride!!
19.07.2007 - 20:56
Sheol
Written by 4look4rd on 17.07.2007 at 04:06

You made me jelous =( I wish I could see them live with DT, but one day I will!

Haha. Buy a plane ticket to Sweden, and you can come with me and see them. 2 extremly good bands, I won't miss it for the world
04.08.2007 - 21:22
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Symphony X is playing in my town this week but im going to miss the show
05.08.2007 - 17:42
Necrogrinder
Account deleted

I´m also going to that show, gonna be awesome!
10.08.2007 - 05:37
gon1
i see them here in argentina and they played one more song KING OF TERRORS, they r amazing !

i hope to see them again :$

Hits total: 5367 | This month: 7