Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Part Ways With Guitarist, Announce Replacement

Finnish Power Metallers Sonata Arctica have issued the following update:

"As many already know, our guitarist Jani Liimatainen has been absent from the line-up this spring and summer. The reason was his messing around with his compulsory military/civil/prison duty, or rather, complete failure to take care of it.

This matter, and everything that goes with it, caused a split between Jani and the other band members. This split was impossible to mend without Jani's help and co-operation.

Therefore we would like to make known the following: During fall of '06 and spring of '07, Jani's personal matters and actions drove us to a situation where we had no option but to ask Jani to leave the band.

Jani was notified of this in May, and the separation was amicable. We wanted to give Jani the chance to get his life together before making this public, which is why we didn't make this announcement earlier. We wish Jani well on his chosen path.

"Show must go on", so, facing the facts, we hereby humbly announce that Elias Viljanen is from this day forward a full and official member of Sonata Arctica.Throughout this summer, on many occasions, Elias has shown himself to be able to fill the big boots Jani left behind.

We hope our friends and our fans understand that this was the only choice left for us to make so that our band could continue. Sonata Arctica has always been, and always will be, more than the sum of its parts. The band has become for us a way of life, a lifeline that simply can not be cut off.

A long "Unia" -tour lies in front of us. We extend Elias a warm welcome to the Sonata family, and we hope the fans will, too. Sonata Arctica is whole again."

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 06.08.2007 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   Visited by: 39 users
06.08.2007 - 15:10
Sheol
Sad, I really liked Jani.
06.08.2007 - 15:13
Hyvaarin
No fucking way. That is an EPIC loss .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
06.08.2007 - 16:02
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Why!? Oh why!? Give him another chance
06.08.2007 - 16:16
kaos666
Such a great guitarist and it is such a shame! SA will never be the same again, but on the other hand the guitar work on Unia sort of makes it evident that this was the right move, I couldn't stand another SA album like that!
06.08.2007 - 16:34
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
This sucks! So basically Jani missed/avoided his military duty and therefore got asked from the band to leave? Why didn't they just wait till he got back from it?!
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
06.08.2007 - 16:52
Judas
The Amputator
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Jani is too awesome to be asked to leave.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
06.08.2007 - 16:56
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Bararey on 06.08.2007 at 16:34

This sucks! So basically Jani missed/avoided his military duty and therefore got asked from the band to leave? Why didn't they just wait till he got back from it?!

It seems they couldn't wait. :
But I think that Elias could be just a replacer for some time.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
06.08.2007 - 17:19
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
I agree with Elodie
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
06.08.2007 - 17:35
Piro
:mad7:

He was a great guitarist. It's sad to see him go, but hopefully the new one will be just as good, or even better.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
06.08.2007 - 20:12
Nefaglar
Account deleted
I think this is actually a good news. Jani's technics and himself as a player were too much for what they are doing now. He is an awesome player and I think that it was a waste of talent for the actual Sonata Arctica. If every album was as awesome (guitar) as Ecliptica or Silence...

Still, is always a bad news when someone leaves, I just hope this new guiitar player fill the huge void that Jani left in the band.

Go! Sonata Arctica!
06.08.2007 - 20:55
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Noooooooo, no, no, no, no, no....
Im so sad, He was so great.... Dont belive it...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.08.2007 - 21:05
Zenzero
Zenzero
I don't mind... Sonata Arctica will be without Jani too!! For me it's not a problem!!
06.08.2007 - 21:14
selken
Irreligious
That's bad, I hope SA recovers, their last album wasn't good, and now this...
I also hope Jani finds a good band.
----
06.08.2007 - 21:27
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Hmm . . . just sad, but still could have happened worse, he is after all one of the "vital links of SA trinity"
He will be missed , and what's the worst part hear , I DID'NT SEE SONATA EVEN ONCE IN IT'S ORIGINAL LINE-UP !

But as Freddie Mercury said :"Show must go on"

PoweR ON SonatAArcticA

06.08.2007 - 22:30
BlankFile
What???? Im getting tired of so much band members separations. Personal reasons, musical differences, bla bla yada yada... Man Grow up you all!
This loss is considerable, because Sonata loses one of its most talented members
Wish the best to Jani and hope Elias could be a respectfull replacment.
06.08.2007 - 22:33
tulkas
el parcero
very sad news! i liked janni a lot, but oh well... if they say this new guy is ok, then they're probably right. hope this doesn't start bad things for the band
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
06.08.2007 - 22:51
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Sonata went downhill when Henkka joined. Winterheart's Guild had some of the best songs of their career (The Ruins of My Life, The Cage, Gravenimage), after that I've lost my interest in them, so I don't really mind. At least the new guy has the cooler nickname, so he can't be that bad for the band.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
06.08.2007 - 23:07
The Voice
Account deleted
Thank God!! Jani can now play, i mean riffs and solos not just a very well payed presence, with a REAL band and for us well, let's give Sonata Arctica to Pop fans who should love their new sound.

Unia is shit, Tony an ass

Cheers
06.08.2007 - 23:52
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Sad news. but Jani will find without problems a good band after this. For me he was the most talented member on this band.
07.08.2007 - 01:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
That really sucks, he's a great guitar player... And thinking of it... Maybe it was the absence of Jani what made Unia such a crappy album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.08.2007 - 02:18
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
This sucks. Now I don't like Sonata, but I've been to their live shows down here in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. And I spoke to him after the show by the tour bus. He is by far the most charismatic guy in the band. He was pretty cool, and was very friendly. Hell, I even got him on the phone with my girlfriend at the time, which is a huge Sonata fan, to speak to her for a few minutes.

Great guy, but they'll have an easy time replacing him since he's not that good of a guitar player
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
07.08.2007 - 03:20
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.08.2007 at 01:23

That really sucks, he's a great guitar player... And thinking of it... Maybe it was the absence of Jani what made Unia such a crappy album.

I wonder how that can be when he was the one playing guitars on Unia?
07.08.2007 - 05:13
Fhuesc
Why is it, that when the bands come to mexico, they always end up spliting or changing members, i think mexico its curse.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
07.08.2007 - 09:38
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........... Very, Very sad News......
07.08.2007 - 12:08
matthioso
It's always sad to see a band member leave, but I think they really had their reasons and I respect their choice.
I found some stuff of the new guitarist on myspace and it really sounds great.

I'm a big fan of Sonata Arctica and I like all their albums, from Ecliptica to Unia.
----
www.seedofrock.be
07.08.2007 - 12:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 07.08.2007 at 03:20

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.08.2007 at 01:23

I wonder how that can be when he was the one playing guitars on Unia?

I was thinking the same thing.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.08.2007 - 13:35
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Well it's always sad to see a band member to go but I don't think it's such a big loss really.. Jani only composed one single song for SA and I would say technically Elias is better guitar player than Jani by far.. how this will affect on the chemistry of the band is left to see. Anyways, I hope Jani will find a way to get his life back together and hopefully we will see him in some other projects
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
07.08.2007 - 13:36
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Sad news indeed... He was great talented guitarist...
Good luck to Elias for a good replacement
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
07.08.2007 - 14:23
kaos666
I think everyone has an inkling that Jani will come back eventually! Give it a couple years! Paul Allender went back to Cradle of Filth after like a 6 year gap...just one of many cases!
07.08.2007 - 14:30
Nemesisyume
:'( Sad news.. indeed..... :(:(

Hits total: 4207 | This month: 46