Metal Storm logo
Changes in avatars and signatures

22.08.2007 - 12:05
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
As you might have noticed, all external images (not hosted on MS) in avatars and signatures have disappeared. That was done to have better control on the filesize and dimensions of these images, and to move them all to MS server, which should increase page loading time on the forum quite dramatically.

So, if you had an external image in your avatar or signature, please go to your Profile and re-add them, this time uploading them, not linking to them.

External images in posts are still allowed, but that might change later as well.

Only one picture is now allowed in signature, with maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px. This might seem a bit too strict, but remember that signatures are not the most important things on the forum and only serve to give the user some additional identity or promote some of his own interests. That definitely shouldn't get in the way of other users browsing the forum.

Thanks.
22.08.2007 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ivan on 22.08.2007 at 12:05

As you might have noticed, all external images (not hosted on MS) in avatars and signatures have disappeared. That was done to have better control on the filesize and dimensions of these images, and to move them all to MS server, which should increase page loading time on the forum quite dramatically.

So, if you had an external image in your avatar or signature, please go to your Profile and re-add them, this time uploading them, not linking to them.

External images in posts are still allowed, but that might change later as well.

Only one picture is now allowed in signature, with maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px. This might seem a bit too strict, but remember that signatures are not the most important things on the forum and only serve to give the user some additional identity or promote some of his own interests. That definitely shouldn't get in the way of other users browsing the forum.

Thanks.

Good work, boss
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2007 - 14:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes indeed, hopefully things will look a little tidyer now
I just added a second image to my signature yesterday.. hahaha.. so I've just sorted that out and re-added my avatar
22.08.2007 - 15:00
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
I'm quite glad about this change...It doesn't take the forum ages to load now
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
22.08.2007 - 21:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I will apply the changes! Good idea, I'd never have thought of such a thing. (But then again, I'm such a noob that doesn't mean shit).
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.08.2007 - 23:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
This is a great improvement made by Ivan! Before this change, thread pages use to take a minute to load. Now they only take 3 seconds.
22.08.2007 - 23:48
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Wow, it's made a serious difference on loading times for me... I was starting to be less interested in the forum specifically because of it's agonizing load times... it seems to load as quickly as any other website now Nice decision!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.08.2007 - 01:55
ylside
Staff
I notice a "rejuvenation" in page loading time, good idea.
24.08.2007 - 09:20
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Yeah this really helps...loading times are at a minimum now
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.08.2007 - 15:12
Black Winter
uhmm it's better now anyways I wanted to change my avatar for a long while but I just didnt! now I did because I had to !
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
24.08.2007 - 18:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Black Winter on 24.08.2007 at 15:12

uhmm it's better now anyways I wanted to change my avatar for a long while but I just didnt! now I did because I had to !

Actually, you didn't have to. You could have chosen your old avatar. Unless you mean by 'i had to' that you had to upload something, so this was your chance to pick a new one..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.08.2007 - 21:33
Black Winter
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2007 at 18:00

Written by Black Winter on 24.08.2007 at 15:12

Actually, you didn't have to. You could have chosen your old avatar. Unless you mean by 'i had to' that you had to upload something, so this was your chance to pick a new one..

yeah that's what I meant, I wanted to change the avatar and it was a push to do it
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
25.08.2007 - 19:34
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
oh! so that's why my signature won't show up! haha. Oh so ummm I guess you mods may delete the topic I made in Bugs section then
25.08.2007 - 23:16
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Well since this new signature thing is too much trouble for me to handle........I took the first few opening lines ov Manowar's Blood Of My Enemies song and made my own little version haha.
27.08.2007 - 04:14
selken
Irreligious
ohh, it was that, well, thats great, I feel a little sad cause I liked a lot my userbar....
but if is it for the sake of speed, I have nothing to complain :-)
----
03.09.2007 - 01:05
Bash'
:)
Aha! that's why mine has been removed so...

Good idea though, I feel with who have slow con. speed such me hehe..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
03.09.2007 - 05:54
Syk
myspace/bonerama

Has the flag image function been removed in this process?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
03.09.2007 - 14:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Syk on 03.09.2007 at 05:54

Has the flag image function been removed in this process?

well no-one used them anyway did they..
03.09.2007 - 15:03
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Damn it, I thought they were cool & wanted to put one in my sig but the URL's too long. Oh well...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
03.09.2007 - 17:43
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Syk on 03.09.2007 at 15:03

Damn it, I thought they were cool & wanted to put one in my sig but the URL's too long. Oh well...

well you can find a flag image from somewhere else and put it in like I have.. it isn't that difficult
11.09.2007 - 21:04
Lord TJ
maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px.

Hey Ivan, I think you should put this information in with the Edit Profile area when your working on your signature. If that makes sense.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
11.09.2007 - 22:37
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 11.09.2007 at 21:04

maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px.

Hey Ivan, I think you should put this information in with the Edit Profile area when your working on your signature. If that makes sense.

It is there, actually...
12.09.2007 - 20:03
Lord TJ
This is what shows up next to the signature box.

Quote:
Signature
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of your forum posts. UBB code may be be used in your signature, except inserting images. Only one (uploaded!) image is allowed, insert it simply as [image]. Other images won't work.

Im saying that I think its a good idea if "maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px" was added to it.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

12.09.2007 - 20:42
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Lord TJ on 12.09.2007 at 20:03

This is what shows up next to the signature box.

Quote:
Signature
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of your forum posts. UBB code may be be used in your signature, except inserting images. Only one (uploaded!) image is allowed, insert it simply as [image]. Other images won't work.

Im saying that I think its a good idea if "maximum size of 20Kb / 468x60px" was added to it.

There's no need to have it twice...the info is given in the text for uploading an image and that's where it's important IMO
Quote:
Signature image upload
Upload image for your signature. Max. file size: 20Kb. Max. image size: 468x60. Refresh the page after uploading to see the new image. Insert into signature (below) as [image]
----

17.09.2007 - 19:32
Lord TJ
So theres a special area just for uploading something for a signature?
----

19.09.2007 - 20:39
jizzlord
like a fox
oh noes!!1 people wont be able to see my last fm sig anymore, i can now listen to shamefull music without anyone else here knowing
----

21.09.2007 - 01:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Lord TJ on 17.09.2007 at 19:32

So theres a special area just for uploading something for a signature?

Yes...it's called 'Signature image upload' and is placed between 'Avatar upload' and 'Signature'
----

21.09.2007 - 01:30
Lord TJ
Man theres something with me where I keep missing things right under my nose!
----

24.09.2007 - 21:58
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@TJ D: hehe well as long as it's not something your life depends on
----

16.03.2009 - 10:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I know it may sound a little stupid, but i can't manage to put an signature image... here's what happens:
I choose an .jpg image who has 350x20 and 3,2kb. Then I press CTRL+F5 to refresh. It just goes back to the same Edit Profile page, same as before i choose the image.
Then i have to insert it simply as [image] in the signature box... for that you mean [name of the image file] ?? Because is that what i'm doing, but the image simply doesn't appear on the posts.

I'm sure its just my ignorance, i'll apreciate a little help.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/