Metal Storm logo
2007: A Year In Metal Thus Far

Original post

Posted by Marcel Hubregtse, 23.08.2007 - 11:15
Thus far 2007 has been very average in my opinion but I will post my top 20 till now here anyway (in alphabetical order):

Akercocke - Antichrist
Alabama Thunderpussy - Open Fire
Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
Clutch - From Beale Stree To Oblivion
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, iIn Ignem Aeternum
Detonation - Emission Phase
Forgotten Tomb - Negative Megalomania
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea
Longing For Dawn - A Treacherous Ascension
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Neurosis - Given To The Rising
Non-Divine - Asylum 45
Obsidian - Emerging
Officium Triste - Giving Yourself Away
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Shining V - Halmstad
Trouble - Simple Mind Condition
Watain - Sworn to The Dark
26.08.2007 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 26.08.2007 at 06:21

Symphony X's Paradise Lost, finally a Symphony X album that is worth my time to listen to. An impressive work by the band, and think it only took 5 years to make.

So far this year my favorite has been, no suprise, Systematic Chaos. I think it is some of the best work from Dream Theater.

Some of my other favorites include:
Static-X - Cannibal
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
Rush - Snakes & Arrows
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Queensrÿche - Mindcrime at the Moore
Devin Townsend - Devin Townsend Presents: Ziltoid the Omniscient

Only from list what I wanna hear are Rush, how it sounds?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.08.2007 - 19:51
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
So far, my favourite 2007 releases are:

1. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction

These guys seem to excel themselves with every album. Fiction is arguably the most varied, intelligent and solid album this year. It combines Dark Tranquillity's traditional sound (Icipher, which is soooo heavily based on Damage Done) with female vocals (I'm sure that awesome song called The Mundane and the Magic will become a Melodeath classic in no time), some darker, chaotic Hypocrisy-like experiment (Inside the Particle Storm) and just standard headbanging material for their all-time fans (Blind At Heart, Focus Shift...). Fiction is the best release of 2007 to my ears.

2. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

Are you Metalstormers deliberately forgetting Gothic Kabbalah or am I the only one who loves this album? By the way, The Perennial Sophia is my favourite Therion song now.

3. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

It is Dream Theater ffs, don't ask me further. I just liked it less than "Octavarium" but much more than "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence".

4. Dark Moor - Tarot

This is THE Symphonic Power Metal album of 2007 unless Nightwish proves me wrong, which I hope. Harmonically a little too conservative at times - it leaves a déjà-vu feeling at some points if you are used to Dark Moor's sound - but very well-structured (as every concept album should be). It is neither too long nor too boring, neither too simple nor too complicated. I am not patriotic or nationalistic in any way but I am glad that my countrymates Dark Moor have finally reached a privileged position among international Power Metal bands.

5. Kamelot - Ghost Opera

I agree with +{Radagast}+: it is definitely more Prog-oriented than their previous discography, but they have not (thank Odin) turned into another Dream Theater copycat.

Other remarkable releases would be:

Dalriada - Kikelet: This album confirms their maturity. Great Folk Metal from Hungary, although I liked their second release (Jégbontó) more.
Epica - The Divine Conspiracy: I'm still getting into it. It is quite a strange album: While Simone Simons sounds like an angry teenager in some songs (for example, the opener "The Obsessive Devotion"), she shows her best in others (e.g. "Safeguard to Paradise"). Anyway, she does not have one of the broadest vocal registers out there, but an interesting musicality covers most of the singer's defficiencies.
Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup: Although I have not paid much attention to it yet, its sound is, as always, funny and headbangable.
Nahemah - The Second Philosophy: A new Progressive/Melodic Death Metal band from Alicante, Spain. This is their amazing debut. A must-have for underground Proggers.
Sonata Arctica - Unia: I don't know why this album has created such a great controversy among Sonata fans. It is obviously different from the rest, but it still has the original Sonata Arctica touch. Although you should not expect another classic like "San Sebastian", "Wolf & Raven" or "My Selene", it is natural for a band to experiment with their sound! Personally, I enjoy the work SA did, and I seriously doubt they will be releasing anything similar to Unia in the future.

Disappointments:

Emerald Sun Escape From Twilight
Gaia Epicus - Victory
Steel Seal - By The Power Of Thunder
Visions Of Atlantis - Trinity

All for the same reason: Power Metal is my favourite genre, but come on, guys, what you are doing has been already done over and over again by thousands of bands all over the world. Nevertheless, I adore My Dark Side Home from "Trinity" by Visions Of Atlantis.

Big -BLEEP-ing disappointment of 2007:

Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything

They are not a Gothic Metal band anymore, they have turned into a Gothic Rock one instead, which they even state in their MySpace page. The new album lacks absolutely all the talent they became famous for. No solos, no inspired melodies, no musicality besides standard Rock.
28.08.2007 - 20:22
baldur
imo 2007 is THE year of metal

grave digger - liberty or death
manegarm - Vargstenen
marduk - Rom 5:12
moonsorrow - Havitetty
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Nile - Ithyphallic
korpiklaani - Tervaskanto
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
porcupine tree - fear of a blank planet
machine head - the blackening

and then the albums that havent been released now for example:

Saltatio Mortis - Aus Der Asche
Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked - Part 1)
Elvenking - The Scythe
Enthroned - Tetra Karcist
Equilibrium - Sagas
Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR
wintersun - time

its just a hell of a year for metal releases imo
28.08.2007 - 23:14
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I missed two albums I have really started to like:

Bloody Panda - Pheromone - really intense and depressive album. The female voice is just perfect for this music - somewhat sick and strange, but still very interesting and really fits to the music.
Baroness - Red Album
29.08.2007 - 01:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Taksekte moust of all female fronted dutch metal bands becaime like then, look to Gathering for example, also Lacuna Coil, abd why bands changing I dunno
----

apos;'
[image]
29.08.2007 - 01:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 14:05

I really enjoy it. Granted I am a huge Rush fan, but it is a much heavier and darker modern album from them.
----
(space for rent)
29.08.2007 - 02:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yes I too was very pleased by the new Rush album! It's a hell of a lot better than Vapor Trails that's for sure! The compositions are a lot stronger, the lyrical content is extremely deep and the musicianship is very melodic and progressive without being too showy...the instrumental is very much a Rush instrumental...they show a lot of their old school tides on this album too...I can tell from the instrumental that they're still looking into their back catalog in their compositional sensibility when putting together new material...quite a strong release...I'm still disappointed that they they're not putting out progressive licks that are up to par with early 80s Rush though...I guess you can't live in the past eh...
29.08.2007 - 11:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 29.08.2007 at 01:29

Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 14:05

I really enjoy it. Granted I am a huge Rush fan, but it is a much heavier and darker modern album from them.

Modern hmmm hope its not like Bob Dylan 'Modern Days'
----

apos;'
[image]
29.08.2007 - 13:02
Damnated
Churchburner
2007 was a good year, especially for orthodox bm.

Arkha Sva - Gloria Satanae
Glorior Belli - Manifesting the Raging Beast
Obscurus Advocam - Verbia Daemonicus
Avichi - The Divine Tragedy
Mortuus - De Contemplanda Morte
Just 5 massive releases. And the new Watain can be included as well. Although i got a bit bored of it lately.

Other albums i enjoyed are:
Mayhem's Ordo Ad Chao
Control Human Delete's Terminal World Perspective
Xeöhl's Un Genre De Noir
Necros Christos' Triune Impurity Rites
and Vrolok's 2 sensational albums, Resurgence III and Void

The new DSO wasn't too impressive for me, it sounds almost the same as Ondskapt. Alcest was a disappointment as well as Riverside's latest attempt. Both albums sound boring.

A great surprise was Krohm's The Haunting Presence, although i knew that Numinas had talent and he was capable of releasing more than 1 masterpiece. Another suprise was Todeskult, a little dsbm band from germany. Their breathtaking Als die Farben älter wurden... is one of the best albums for me this year.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.08.2007 - 19:19
Nazeef
2007 is an awesome continuation of what last years have carried..
Best Death : Nile - Ithyphallic / Aborted - Slaughter & Apparatus - A Methodical Overture
Best Thrash : Destruction - Thrash Anthem
Best Thrash Discovery: Sanctity - Road To Bloodshed
Best Black: Naglfar - Harvest
Best Heavy/Prog: Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Indeed, I've discovered Textures' 2006 Album "Drawing Circles" which was a true masterpiece.
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
29.08.2007 - 21:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nazeef on 29.08.2007 at 19:19

Indeed, I've discovered Textures' 2006 Album "Drawing Circles" which was a true masterpiece.

It certainly is a masterpiece, plus Jochem Jacobs (guitars) is also a brilliant producer (just check out, the latest albums by Cypher, Magnacult, Obsidian, Detonation)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2007 - 02:06
Chaosgoat
My favorite album this year has been Symphony X's Paradise Lost. It is my favorite album by them that I've heard so far.
30.08.2007 - 04:24
Dan066
Account deleted
if you want to see all of the metal albums released this year, or to be released this year look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_metal

And just off the top of my head so far I've liked Dream Theater "Systematic Chaos", Symphony X "Paradise Lost", Machine Head "the blackening", and Nile "Ithyphallic".

I haven't yet heard to new king diamond record, but I hope it's good.
30.08.2007 - 12:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=18875] on 30.08.2007 at 04:24

if you want to see all of the metal albums released this year, or to be released this year look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_metal

And just off the top of my head so far I've liked Dream Theater "Systematic Chaos", Symphony X "Paradise Lost", Machine Head "the blackening", and Nile "Ithyphallic".

I haven't yet heard to new king diamond record, but I hope it's good.

Why ppl overated Machinehead IMO its totaly overated band, I can not see anything interesting there and in metal hammer music awards(I saw part in tv) all young girls was crazy whit them
----

apos;'
[image]
30.08.2007 - 22:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I think overall this has been a great year for metal, some great albums of this year for me have been:
1.Turisas-The Varangian Way
2.Ensiferum-Victory Songs
3.Finntroll-Ur Jordens Djup
4.Megadeth-United Abominations
5.Ozzy Osbourne
6.Marduk-Rom 5:12
7.Municipal Waste-The Art Of Partying

hmmm...I really thought Id be able to come up with more than that, then again theres the albums I havnt heard/havnt picked up/havnt been released yet that Ive been anticipating like the new Deathchain or the upcoming Elvenking album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.08.2007 - 23:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Dr.Rock does Mehadeath made vide for new album, ?
----

apos;'
[image]
31.08.2007 - 00:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
damn, picked up
Reverend Bizarre - III: So Long Suckers
and
Glorior Belli - Manifesting The Raging Beast

and those could certainly make my end of year list

Reverend Bizarre's final opus before disbanding is two hours of unaduterated traditional doom and way more downbeat than its upbeat predecessor Crush The Insects, this slab is one hell of a farewell from these Finns

as for Glorior Belli... Anyone who loves Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice will drool over Manifesting The Raging Beast
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2007 - 17:55
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Bad English on 30.08.2007 at 23:54
I think Megadeth made a video for the new version of A Tout le Monde, also maybe Sleepwalker or Gears of War but probably not

Speaking of heavy metal, I hope Priest's new one kicks a lot of ass... interesting that I haven't heard anything about it at all apart from the name/concept

Ozman, is Deathspell black metal?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
31.08.2007 - 18:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Sky I had seen that video and I dodnt like it, Kristina Scabbia isnt good into it
----

apos;'
[image]
31.08.2007 - 19:22
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2007 at 00:09

as for Glorior Belli... Anyone who loves Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice will drool over Manifesting The Raging Beast

haha, glad someone else's this excited about this album. although i think it's way better than SMRC. Exept the prayers, SMRC wasn't really that orthodox/religious. MtRB is all about that.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
31.08.2007 - 19:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Syk on 31.08.2007 at 17:55

Written by Bad English on 30.08.2007 at 23:54
I think Megadeth made a video for the new version of A Tout le Monde, also maybe Sleepwalker or Gears of War but probably not

Speaking of heavy metal, I hope Priest's new one kicks a lot of ass... interesting that I haven't heard anything about it at all apart from the name/concept

Yep, Deathspell Omega is black metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2007 - 02:44
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Syk on 31.08.2007 at 17:55

----

01.09.2007 - 21:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
GB is indeed good. Must listen to it more.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.09.2007 - 23:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2007 at 00:09

I'll have to try and find that, 'cuase I really like Deathspell Omega. Thanks man.
----
(space for rent)
09.09.2007 - 06:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Hellish Star on 24.08.2007 at 20:22

AMULANCE The rage within and the aftermath

Yeah man, I just finished listening to some songs from that and it's awesome. But I'm wondering something - I know it has The Rage Within demo, but what is The Aftermath? MA says it's previously unreleased...is it a regular album?
26.09.2007 - 20:26
Sunioj
My favorite so far to me from '07. Though some aren't that original or groundbreaking, they still manage to meet the demands of aesthetic pleasure.

Vomitory - Terrorrize, Sodomize, Brutalize
Sarpanitum - Despoilment of Origin
Amoral - Reptile Ride
Dodheimsgard - Supervillian Outcast
DSO - Fas Ite
Defeated Sanity - Psalms to the Moribund
Arkhon Infaustus - Orthodoxyn

Other albums worth hearing:
Abigor - Fractal Possession
Deathchain - Cult of Death
Immolation - Shadows in the Light
Vital Remains - Icons of Evil
Krohm - The Haunting Presence

Awaiting new Arch Enemy, Entombed, and Obituary. Not the best list, but whatever.
26.09.2007 - 23:34
Ereinion'
Account deleted
I think this are some of the best cd so far
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Entombed - Serpent Saints
Municipal Waste-The Art Of Partying
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Rush - Snakes & Arrows
Amorphis - Silent waters

I am stil waiting for the new exodus, testamnet, biomechanical and orphaned land
27.09.2007 - 00:52
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I think the last 2 or so years have been quite disappointing in metal. Most of my fav bands i have been slightly disappointed with their latest releases.

Best releases for me of 2007:
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
Mithras - Behind The Shadows Lie Madness

Ok releases:
Kamelot - Ghost Opera
Turisas - The Varangian Way

Poor releases -
Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Dethklok - Dethalbum

I think i need to start digging into the underground bands again. I havent been able to purchase as many cds this year as much as previous ones due to lack of money.

Im still waiting for new Iced Earth, Symphony X and Dream Theater.
27.09.2007 - 01:59
Bash'
:)
Krypteria - Bloodangels Cry
Visions of Atlantis - Trinity
After Forever - After Forever
Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything

Those were the ones I really like ...
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
28.09.2007 - 11:40
Deadsoulman
Elite
I find this year's particularly good (but then again, I find all years good), except that it somehow lacks THE ultimate release. My top 20 at the end of the year may contain the following:
Shining - V - Halmstad
Neurosis - Given To The Rising These two are the best releases of the year so far for me.

And, in the order it pops in my mind:
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
Vomitory - Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Marduk - Rom 5:12
Deadlock - Woves
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Distress - Others
Funeralium - Funeralium
Entombed - Serpent Saints
Immolation - Shadows In The Light
Nahemah - The Second Philosophy
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Paradise Lost - In Requiem
Project: Failing Flesh - The Conjoined
Razorshape - Live With It
Scars Of Chaos - Humanitarian War Machine
Tehren - Eyes Unfolded
War From A Harlots Mouth - Transmetropolitan
Whisper-X - Warside
Goryptic - From Blast To Collapse
Evile - Enter The Grave
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea
Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying
Obituary - Xecutioner's Return
Thurisaz - Circadian Rhythm
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Trauma - Neurotic Mass
Agent Steel - Alienigma

And I'm still waiting to hear the new Wayd, Orphaned Land, Nightmare, Benighted and Ministry.