Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
22.11.2006 - 08:21
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
oh damn, posted without reading all of it again, damn me and my quick posts!
22.11.2006 - 11:22
StormWarrior
Account deleted
Black Sabbath changed the face of music forever in 1970. Tony invented a whole new style of guitar riffing. Almost all metal riffs are just Tony's riffs played in some various different manner, faster ,slower ,backward upside down, whatever. Iommi invented the metal riff. Ozzy was the first truly possessed front man. And what can you say about one of the most underrated bassist in history, a lad known as Geezer. With Bill Ward bashing the skins in thunderous time ...METAL IS BORN....:devil:
23.11.2006 - 07:17
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
I agree With that...sabbath and zepplin are the one who started metal and judas ..maiden later were influenced with the genre...but maiden and judas later influenced upcoming fans with their type..whatever, most of the 60s-70s metal bands have their crucial role in influencing others...
12.12.2006 - 00:28
BrightNight
There is only one band that invented Heavy Metal and that is Black Sabbath. No question about it. To be more precise; Tony Iommi Invented Heavy Metal. As StormWarrior said above.

There are of course more bands who made an big impact on what we call heavy metal today but they did not invented it.

Judas Priest vocalist Rob Halford started the leather and chains look.

Led Zeppelin rocked so hard that other bands were inspired to get that heavy. Zep's John Bonham set the template for metal drummers, and Robert Plant's high keening tenor yelp set the gold standard for metal's vocalists.

And of course Deep Purple was the first successful band to consistently put out a heavy metal vibe. They were also a band who combined classical music with rock for the first time.

But Black Sabbath is the only band who can rightfully claim this title.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
12.12.2006 - 02:50
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
No one invented metal, because metal is not just music, but its all about the atitude and the feeling. In my opnion metal is more like a philosoph, Heavy Metal has such a big inpact in our lives, some thing that does not happen with anyother kinds of music.
We could argue about who was the first to play metal with eletric instruments, but I dont think someone acctually "invented" Metal.
----
12.12.2006 - 14:39
un/heart/ed
The Sufferer
it is black sabbath. no question
----
My only thrill alone in my own hell
15.12.2006 - 00:09
Lupas
Maximus
Written by 4look4rd on 12.12.2006 at 02:50

No one invented metal, because metal is not just music, but its all about the atitude and the feeling. In my opnion metal is more like a philosoph, Heavy Metal has such a big inpact in our lives, some thing that does not happen with anyother kinds of music.
We could argue about who was the first to play metal with eletric instruments, but I dont think someone acctually "invented" Metal.

Interesting point , about the idea of philosphy
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
15.12.2006 - 03:04
BrightNight
Written by 4look4rd on 12.12.2006 at 02:50

Youve got some point there, metal is more then just music alone. But you can say, that its Black Sabbath who created this "vibe" they started this all. They were the ones who opened this culture for us what we say is heavy metal. Tony Iommi created the metal riff (cord)...he has written an kind of 'open source" of heavy metal, one all metal musicians use. Talking about philosophy and attitude that comes along with metal....Black Sabbath brought this to the world IMO.

There are lots of band who gave impact on it but its Black Sabbath to start with.

They are the pioneers of our sub culture. (they are for me, to talk for myself)
----
15.12.2006 - 22:33
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Black Sabbath is like the metal son, because other bands (e.i Yard Birds) gave the fundations to this modern heavy metal. About the riffs, early BS played jazz/blues riffs but faster and heavier.
Again, I really dont think there is a heavy metal "founder," if you listen to the 15-19th century composers youll find that they had also created a new type of music, sometimes using even aggression to express what they were feeling (doesnt that reminds about early trash metal?)
----
16.12.2006 - 08:48
Murder
Well I think Black Sabbath was the first band who put the base of Metal, although bands like Led Zepellin,AC/DC and Deep Purple are a great influence. Judas and Maiden come to perfect the style.
But definitively, Black Sabbath bring us Metal.

Black Sabbath!!
19.12.2006 - 02:44
morbid_freak
Account deleted
Zeppelin started metal, Sabbath took over metal.
19.12.2006 - 04:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Sabbath probably started the widest influence, but some bands these days eem to derive more sound from the likes of Jethro Tull.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.01.2007 - 13:06
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=17724] on 23.11.2006 at 07:17

I agree With that...sabbath and zepplin are the one who started metal and judas ..maiden later were influenced with the genre...but maiden and judas later influenced upcoming fans with their type..whatever, most of the 60s-70s metal bands have their crucial role in influencing others...

Have you forgotten bands like Possessed, Death, Morbid Angel, Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, without whom, the black and death metal genre wouldn't have even be created?
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.01.2007 - 07:59
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 20.01.2007 at 13:06

Written by [user id=17724] on 23.11.2006 at 07:17

Have you forgotten bands like Possessed, Death, Morbid Angel, Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, without whom, the black and death metal genre wouldn't have even be created?

Yes They Are..But bands like Judas Priest were formed in 70's...Possessed ,Death,Bathory were formed during 80's.Isn't it?
22.01.2007 - 10:05
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
@Heathenblood that's true, but the bands I mentioned had great influence in Black/Death Metal scene.
----
26.01.2007 - 08:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I think different genres came from different bands, for example, everyone says Sabbath started metal, yeah probably the majority of metal bands were inspired by sabbath, but I think power metal was started by Zeppelin.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.01.2007 - 10:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Power metal started by Led Zeppelin? Please explain...
----
27.01.2007 - 15:48
Arntor
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 26.01.2007 at 10:58

Power metal started by Led Zeppelin? Please explain...

I don't think there's anyway that power metal derived from Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin have nothing to do with power metal - there are no similarities between Led Zeppelin and power metal. I think that power metal originated from NWOBHM - bands like Iron Maiden. In the first Iron Maiden albums there are lot of similarities with power metal genre. But Iron Maiden weren't the first power metal band but they were inspiration to the first real power metal bands: Helloween, Blind Guardian...

Now let's return to the main thread

The band that invented metal was definetly Black Sabbath. They were also one of the first hard rock bands along with Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, but they really diferent from them. Their music was harder and somewhat more agressive and I'm pretty sure that was described like Heavy metal (and doom metal).
27.01.2007 - 18:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, that's my point. What the hell has LZ to do with Power metal?
----
27.01.2007 - 22:59
necrovamp
power metal is just the evolutionary path of trad metal you listen to a abnd like judas priest or iron maiden and then listen to manowar and hammerfall and other such bands, heavy metal has just evolved into power metal, same as humans eveolve - its how the genre keeps itself healthy i mean as we look at it power metal is eveolving into what is known as battle metal with these new wave bands such as turisas and korpiklaani etc

But yeah if we have to pick a founding band its black sabbath no questions asked, and they hailed from engalnd!
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
30.01.2007 - 05:43
Heart of Darknes
Account deleted
I think that Heavy Metal developed over time from various influences. To say that it's the result of one or two bands is not only incorrect, but ridiculous. Heavy Metal can be traced from bands like The Kinks, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, even the Beatles and the Who, all of which happened before Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin achieved their sound.

Music is something that's developed over time as the result of cultural and enviromental factors. It's not created in a vacuum, no matter what genre it is.
01.02.2007 - 21:31
PiercingMetal
I have always felt it rolled in this manner. Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple made it more acceptable to have heavier riffs and harder drumming in Rock & Roll music. From there, the members of Black Sabbath, who were tired of the overwhelming hippy "peace and love" scene turned their tuning down and focused on material that was darker, inspired by mystical evils and ills and thus the Hard Rock got all the harder. To me it became Metal when Judas Priest began, because they took all the influences prior and made it the unique format we see so regularly (double bass drums playing at riveting speeds, twin guitar leads and powerful screaming vocals). Its always debatable but I admit Sabbath was the main catalyst but still feel it was not yet Metal. Oddly enough if Sabbath formed today they would be labeled a Doom/Sludge band based on what their sound largely influenced.

Anyone?
----
Ken Pierce - Editor In Chief
http://www.PiercingMetal.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PiercingMetal
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PiercingMetal
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/PiercingMetalNYC
07.03.2007 - 17:29
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Whoever says Metallica knows less about metal... there are some other bands that have influence in metal like Judas priest, Balck Sabbath and so on..
----
07.03.2007 - 20:39
Mela Muke
Account deleted
I would say Black Sabbath

and I agree Metallica HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
08.03.2007 - 02:05
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Black Sabboth started metal, and bands like Led Zeplin, Deep Purple, Judas Priest and maybe Iron Maiden helped attract more people to metal as well as influenceing other bands that would later become legends (for example Iron Maiden heavily influenced Metallica). I'd say the first four bands I listed would probably be the creaters of metal.
14.03.2007 - 05:19
Original Geek
Account deleted
Written by PiercingMetal on 01.02.2007 at 21:31

I have always felt it rolled in this manner. Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple made it more acceptable to have heavier riffs and harder drumming in Rock & Roll music. From there, the members of Black Sabbath, who were tired of the overwhelming hippy "peace and love" scene turned their tuning down and focused on material that was darker, inspired by mystical evils and ills and thus the Hard Rock got all the harder. To me it became Metal when Judas Priest began, because they took all the influences prior and made it the unique format we see so regularly (double bass drums playing at riveting speeds, twin guitar leads and powerful screaming vocals). Its always debatable but I admit Sabbath was the main catalyst but still feel it was not yet Metal. Oddly enough if Sabbath formed today they would be labeled a Doom/Sludge band based on what their sound largely influenced.

Anyone?

I don't think I could argue against any point you've made. I would add bands like UFO, The Scorpions (very early Scorpions) and Accept - they all started pretty much the same time as Priest and Maiden - no matter how they are now, they were rocking pretty effin' hard back then.

And the beauty of it is that music just keeps getting harder.
14.03.2007 - 07:48
Sonic MrSumo
Firstly, you need to define what metal is. And this is impossible, because my definition of metal would be different to yours.

In my opinion, the creator of metal would be that first homosapian that played the first piece of music in the history of mankind - and was then able to replay that same piece of music. Whether it be to themselves, or to an audience, it doesn't really matter.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that metal has evolved, like all music has evolved, from something that came before it.

But, if you really put a gun to my head (and you may want to after reading the crap I just wrote above), I'd say Black Sabbath.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
14.05.2007 - 14:27
BrightNight
Alle type of genres (Trash/Death/Power) lead back in roots to Early, original Heavy Metal, which was started by Black Sabbath. For me really its that easy. Black Sabbath is the core of it...of course other bands have build around this solid core with their own idea's and different style's in playing, singing and the lyrical thingy, which evolved in other genre's and from there on in Sub Genres.

And some say above that Led Zeppelin was the Greator of Power Metal?

Nah. The most Influence for Power Metal was DIO, without a doubt DIO.
And to be an asshole and black sabbath lover : Dio came from Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi found in Dio a great singer so he took him in the band when ozzy left.......Dio had his own ideas (the more power metal minded thing we can call it nowdays) and started his own "DIO".But there we are again. Black Sabbath is the beginning...the god father of Metal in his whole entity.

Also talking about this....dont forget ginius Ritchy BlackMore as a mayor inspirator.
----
14.05.2007 - 14:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BrightNight on 14.05.2007 at 14:27

Alle type of genres (Trash/Death/Power) lead back in roots to Early, original Heavy Metal, which was started by Black Sabbath. For me really its that easy. Black Sabbath is the core of it...of course other bands have build around this solid core with their own idea's and different style's in playing, singing and the lyrical thingy, which evolved in other genre's and from there on in Sub Genres.

And some say above that Led Zeppelin was the Greator of Power Metal?

Nah. The most Influence for Power Metal was DIO, without a doubt DIO.
And to be an asshole and black sabbath lover : Dio came from Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi found in Dio a great singer so he took him in the band when ozzy left.......Dio had his own ideas (the more power metal minded thing we can call it nowdays) and started his own "DIO".But there we are again. Black Sabbath is the beginning...the god father of Metal in his whole entity.

Also talking about this....dont forget ginius Ritchy BlackMore as a mayor inspirator.

Yes and Black Sabbath was playing Blues, so i woud say Blues wa sin begining, because in 20ties blues musicians was playing lil' doomish blues slow, emeotional and sad
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2007 - 15:37
Milutin
Account deleted
Well, this is a question that is still debated about and it's very hard to find the answer to this. But, as many of you here, I too think that Black Sabbath were the first genuine heavy metal band. They are truly the most original band, which by inventing this wonderful and one of the most popular genre they became legends. Every succesful metal band of today are highly influenced by Black Sabbath and I bet that there's not a metalhead that don't respects them.