Metal Storm logo
Reggae

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 03.06.2006 - 15:11
Summer finally arrived... And for me summer means sun, fun, thrash metal and reggae. Reggae is nothing close to the metal or rock I usually listen to, but I find it quite enjoyable while your life slows down because of the heat (and maybe of pot OMG this is so cliché to link reggae and pot but I can't help it ).

Anyway Bob Marley remains a genius to me, he has such a great voice, rythm and his texts are so right about some political situations... But except for Bob I don't know many more reggae artists (some French ones like Lavilliers or Tryo, but it has nothing to compare actually). Not that I grow tired of his discography, but I'd like to discover more bands/artists. So feel free to post any recommendations!!!

This thread is here to discuss your opinion about reggae and recommendations. Mere bashing ("reggae is so fucking gay I'm too tr00 for this" ) won't be tolerated ! I know it's so different from metal that many metalheads may dislike this music, but if you want to criticize it do it in a constructive way please

EDIT:
-bands I've disovered thx to MSrs posting in this thread: Gondwana, Patrice (I had already listened to him but forgotten about his music), Burning Spear.
-bands I've tried and disliked: Damien Marley

Also check "Tears of the dragon" by Bruce Dickinson, you may be surprised

Keep the recommendations coming!!
29.09.2006 - 00:45
Tencho
I find music's style boring. I can listen 3 or 4 topics, but then it bores me. it is a very flat music, without jumps.
30.09.2006 - 23:27
Necronomicon
Account deleted
i love reggea very nice if you are relaxing!
11.11.2006 - 13:14
Lorien
Account deleted
I listen to reggae only in two occasions:
1) when I'm veeeeeery drunk
2) when I'm extremly in the good mood

I don't find reggae too good for all occasions.. It's just boring sometimes
UB40 are my fav of all reggae musicians
11.11.2006 - 15:25
Konrad
Mormon Storm
If you like reggae you should get into a Genre called "Dancehall". It has the same basic feel but Dancehall came before Reggae and had roots in England. The lyrics are much more political and substantive. My favorites are Johnny Osbourne and Barrington Levy. I think there is a new wave of so-called Dancehall around now but it's nothing more than club music. Good Reggae bands are Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, Bob and Damien, etc.
----
Brujerizmo!
11.11.2006 - 19:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I like reggae as well, I listen to Bob marley when I'm trying to cheer up. But unfortunantely, the only reggae I listen to is Bob Marley, as well as some Ziggy marley. There are some Rap artists who use reggae in their styles as well, I really like Busta Rhymes and The Fugees, But Sean Paul is another example of this(I don't like sean paul) and Damian Marley as well.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.11.2006 - 23:28
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Yeah Sean Paul and Shaggy and all that shit is probably the wost thing ever.
----
Brujerizmo!
15.03.2007 - 17:36
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I've discovered a new musician who is part of the French dub scene: Kanka. He's influenced by English and Jamaican dub, but he adds electro to it and the result is pretty interesting... Check him out!

There are also those two bands I've never mentionned because they're rather ska, but I'm listening to them right now and they have a lot of reggae influences: K2R Riddim and Percubaba. Some great dub sound and political lyrics, a bit like Dancehall mixed with ska music. Worth checking out too! (but you'd better speak French to get their "message")
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
23.09.2007 - 21:22
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by KryptoN on 15.06.2006 at 17:48

I don't know many reggae bands but I've been meaning to look deeper. Bob Marley is quite good and all and I've heard a few other bands but I don't remember their names. One band I must mention though is "Eyesburn" which is kind of a mix of reggae and rock/metal or something. Check out the album "Gabau!".

WTF man, how do you know about Eyesburn?? Yeah, theyre pretty good, although i havent listened them for quite some time... And they play smth like Hard Core Reggae...
Anyway, I recommend Scientist to everyone, its really good reggae, I have album called "Scientist: Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires" (lol what a name) , also non typical lyrics on this one, zombies, vampires , mummies... funny, but the music is kinda old school dub reggae form 80ties....... cool music
----
23.09.2007 - 21:56
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Stalker on 23.09.2007 at 21:22

WTF man, how do you know about Eyesburn??

Well they're not THAT unknown... I think someone recommended them to me @ last.fm. I kind of forgot about the band for a while but this reminded me to listen to them some more.
23.09.2007 - 21:58
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by KryptoN on 23.09.2007 at 21:56

Written by Stalker on 23.09.2007 at 21:22

WTF man, how do you know about Eyesburn??

Well they're not THAT unknown... I think someone recommended them to me @ last.fm. I kind of forgot about the band for a while but this reminded me to listen to them some more.

Hahah, well, I dont know, here they are pretty know, but i dont know for outside... I only know they touref once as a support for soulfly, but i dont know exactly where...
----
23.09.2007 - 22:38
Torelli
Reagge can be nice from time to time, but I can find it pretty boring and repatative(Perhaps that is beacuse I haven't digged deep enough in this gengre)? However I do like it's "cousin" ska , but back one topic. One reagge band that I really like is "svenska akademien" from Sweden. It's to bad that nearly every music is at the letftish/extreme leftish side on the political scale. But I guess it's the music that counts, let set the politics aside.
04.10.2008 - 21:28
Gigginova
Account deleted
Well me being from the Caribbean, there's always lots of Rastas selling peanuts on the side of the roads annd I'm exposed to Jamaican Reggae very often . It's quite familiar and popular in The Bahamas.

I actually just recently got into it. Good to smoke to. I love the conscious culture reggae like Jah Sun, Lutan Fyah, Natty King, Chezidek......those kind of artists. Barrington Levy's great to listen to if you want something more old school. I don't like the hyped up kind like in alot of songs by Sizzla or by Capleton, they'll just spit a bunch of ragga nonsense and it sounds so terrible. If Capleton would do more songs like "Jah Jah City", he'd be better! I love the remix of "Jah Jah City" it's a medley of The Liberation Riddim. Oh and Bob Marley's youngest son, Damien Marley, I hate his dancehall tunes!! I hate dancehall music! He should make more songs like "Welcome To Jamrock".

I love the different riddims. Some new ones what came out are Rastar Riddim and Show Love Riddim. I love how many different artists take those riddims and make their own lyrics for it.

I love Reggae. It also helps in brushing up on your Jamaican-English lol.

Selassie I JAH!! Rastafarai!
04.10.2008 - 21:40
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Sekhmet on 29.06.2006 at 12:17

The religious background kinda bothers me too. Sometimes I find myself singing "Jah live" and it's just "OMG what am I saying??"

Yeah I know! lol

that's why I can't listen to Luciano, all his songs are like that. Morgan Heritage too, some artists just overdo it.

But what's cool about Rastafarai is the peacefulness that it promotes....the wisdom is pretty much not there.....but the compassion is where I find the connection with the conscious reggae tunes.

haha weeks back, as I was leaving night-school to go home, I saw a WHITE Rasta woman with blonde features walking with her mixed children. Cuz Rastafarai is Pro-Black, I just can't see how a blonde white woman can be rasta, i found it funny. I mean I always knew there were white rastas in the world, the artist, Jah Sun is a white californian rasta, but just I've never seen one in person until that night.

P.S. also concerning reggae music, i hate how America and other first world countries referre to Reggae as "World Music". WTF is "World Music"? lol.
I mean......People from California never referre to California as "Cali"
In the same way, people from The Caribbean never referre to Reggae, Soca or Dancehall as "World Music". I can't stand it
05.10.2008 - 00:59
Hamird
Lieutenant
I used to be a fan of Reggae, but no any more.. In fact I didn't continue searching and getting more Reggae, but in those time when I listened to this music I found three interesting artist and those are Bobby McFerrin, Johnny Nash and Bob Marley.. Bobby McFerrin is the most talented I think. And of course his legendary "Don't worry, Be happy" is so nice.
17.10.2008 - 23:21
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.11.2006 at 19:03

I like reggae as well, I listen to Bob marley when I'm trying to cheer up. But unfortunantely, the only reggae I listen to is Bob Marley, as well as some Ziggy marley. There are some Rap artists who use reggae in their styles as well, I really like Busta Rhymes and The Fugees, But Sean Paul is another example of this(I don't like sean paul) and Damian Marley as well.

Sean Paul and Damien don't "mix rap and reggae" though that is called Dancehall. It's IMMENSLY popular in Bahamian clubs, eww lol.

p.s. MSers, check out my Soca thread!
08.11.2008 - 03:06
Gigginova
Account deleted
Everyone should check out Pablo Moses!

he's more old school to em as i'm use to the more modernize reggae.....the music kinda sorta has dub elements. it's SOOO CHILL
10.11.2008 - 23:23
tobm
Reggae...bad ass

recommendations:(other than bob)
-Peter Tosh
-slightly stoopid
-Eek a mouse
-Mono und Nikitaman
-Gentleman
-Patrice
-Sublime
-Los Skalameros
-Damian Marley
-Ziggy Marley
-Matisyahu
-Mystic Roots
-Seeed
-UB 40

for more.....:P....PM
09.12.2008 - 01:48
Gigginova
Account deleted
A new, fresh and unsigned Bahamian reggae artist came by where i work today at noon. He was selling his demo and a mixed reggae cd. I bought them both. He's not from my island though, he's from Freeport, Grand Bahama.......He's down in Nassau selling his demo.

Mr. Versatile:

http://www.myspace.com/versatile100
14.12.2008 - 20:41
kanho
Account deleted
Well,really is difficult maybe listen 30 min of reggae song,continues..but reggae is a great sound,each music style has theirs moment in the day,space or time,the people always think reggae= marley,but i recommend to ALPHA BLONDY (reggae from costa de marfil(africa),Côte d'Ivoire(Africa))
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=RQOWRSwy_8A
See u,stay metal
16.03.2009 - 23:38
metalhead3
I like reggae,i listen bob marley and jimmy cliff
31.03.2009 - 07:10
FOOCK Nam
I like Gentlemen, I can enjoy some songs which are reggae from that band. Somewhat I find some reggae like hip hop, other if I dont, that mean I like it.
01.04.2009 - 01:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm not a close minded metal head, but reggae I just can't stand. Unless I'm really really drunk. You know "uuuhhh, I think I'm gonna die..."-drunk.
----
01.04.2009 - 16:29
thefadedline
Here are some REAL and old reggae recommendations for you. i do not like this new garbage that people call reggae.

toots and the maytals
gregory isaacs
linton kwesi johnson
inner circle
jimmy cliff
burning spear
the wailers
----
Relax and let the seat take the battery
28.01.2010 - 02:25
FOOCK Nam
Jason Marz, if you want reggea song, "I'm Yours".
09.02.2010 - 03:12
Ealdamir
But i see these are all very old recomendations, like someone said Gentleman is really good. German scene is on the rise. Irie Invaders is real nice too - new stuff.

Dub Incorporation is fucking great and Babylon Circus(for reaggae check the old albums) - these 2 from france
Groundation is another awsome band - older

Well it depends on what reggae you like of course - dancehall's tending to be very popular

If i repost i give you reggae from all over europe
----
I Really Wanna Visit Wonderland Some Time...
::)

Plz, Help me Fly!
24.07.2010 - 06:48
Javier_000
Woooooooooo reggae!

Lots of GREAT bands with this genre. Totally relaxin while using some speial smokes - or not.

Bands to check up are

Black Roots
Jacob Miller
Jhonny Ringo
Hermanos Tanaka
Lone Ranger

and lots more. BTW if you want to check up any reggae band just send me some PM.
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...