Poll

Which Arch Enemy singer do you prefer?

Angela Gossow
Johan Liiva

Total votes: 86
05.11.2007 - 08:46
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
I saw Arch Enemy live the other day, and it had me and my mate thinking, "Whcih Arch Enemy singer is better?" I was genuinly interested to ind out what people thought. And I knew exactly where to go to find out: Metalstorm! So what do YOU think?

I personally think Angelina, as her growls are far more suited to the Arch Enemy music, and she adds a lot more to the overall monster that is Arch Enemy
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
05.11.2007 - 08:54
Opium
Account deleted
I'm biased all the way, unfortunately, Gossow just lacks the emotion Liiva posseses. Also, at least his voice wasn't altered to the point that it became almost synthetic on their earlier releases
05.11.2007 - 14:35
Stigmatized
Angela's voice is a lot better IMO. The only thing is, the albums Arch Enemy did with J. Liiva were of a lot better quality as far as the music goes.
05.11.2007 - 14:51
Sunioj
Angela for me too, I liked Liiva, but I think the style of metal suits Angela's voice alot more. And I agree with Stigmatized, it goes both ways, during Liiva's time they had better songwriting. But since its about Vocals...
05.11.2007 - 17:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If Liiva are first AA vovcalist I say him, because I never had liked much AA because of Angela, it dont means she are sexy she can be great singer, Liiva days AA was more old school and say something in music so I like old good days
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.11.2007 - 18:32
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I voted Angela...Liiva's voice gets annoying after a short time IMO
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.11.2007 - 18:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Stigmatized on 05.11.2007 at 14:35

Angela's voice is a lot better IMO. The only thing is, the albums Arch Enemy did with J. Liiva were of a lot better quality as far as the music goes.

Exactly what I think too!
----
06.11.2007 - 21:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
The eternal battle. Oh well I just can't vote, its too hard to choose and kinda unfair.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.11.2007 - 00:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I had to vote Angela out of familiarity, Im not a huge Arch Enemy fan so Ive only listened to a few recent albums (and own Doomsday Machine) and listening to material with Liiva it just didnt seem like the same Arch Enemy to me, I dont know how else to put it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.11.2007 - 00:20
Bastardhead
Account deleted
It has been said before, but the statement that that Gossgow is a better screamer but the music during Liiva's era was superior is the most accurate statement I can make.
08.11.2007 - 04:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for Angela. Johan's vocals just aren't strong at all, unlike Angela, and his voice is particularly annoying on Black Earth, even though that's still a good album. Angela could work on her range though...
09.11.2007 - 07:13
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yeh i think angela's vocals are better dont get me wrong - but some of her vocals on the new AE album are so robotlike and synthetic AT TIMES, it sounds crap! Her vocals were best on Wages of Sin, Anthems of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine also, sorta on topic check out my 2 misheards of Arch Enemy under Funny Section
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.11.2007 - 08:37
Chaosgoat
Angela. She is a way better screamer than Johan IMO. She also brings forth more energy in me than Johan. I agree that the music its self is better during the Liiva era, but not by much IMO.
12.11.2007 - 22:25
Abattoir
Staff
Angela for me...I like woman growling Well, in a way I think that she did her best vocals on first two albums (Wages Of Sin and Anthems Of Rebellion)...
And for me these two albums were the best by now from AE...
13.11.2007 - 04:48
selken
Irreligious
I have to put my post before a mod puts here their post of death
I think that the topic is unfair
Despite of that, I voted for Angela, I cannot deal with the temptation to vote for her, SHE IS A WOMAN!!! AND SHE GROWLS!!!
----
30.08.2008 - 17:25
Lordofchaos
Account deleted
I think angela gossow is much better

sound less thrashy than liiva and works better with the music
30.08.2008 - 17:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.08.2008 at 17:25

I think angela gossow is much better

sound less thrashy than liiva and works better with the music

works better , I say poseing better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.08.2008 - 18:49
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
The fact remains that Angela sounds nothing in real life she does on the records, especially when the sound of her voice changes so drastically with each album due to all the production effects thrown on them. In real life she has a much deeper and more raw growl, sounds much better.

But yeah Johan is way superior, the gruff bark works much better with the music.
05.03.2009 - 01:52
Luros
Johan has had his times. And Angela has her. I think, if Johan would be back, the style of AA would change back, cause they're voices need different kind of music.
P.S. Jonah sounds better, IMO, with desperate feelings.
----
Freedom of Choice is what you've got...
Freedom from Choice is what you want...
05.03.2009 - 02:36
ForeverDarkWoods
I dislike Angela Gossow. There is another poll about Arch enemy albums where I explained in detail why.

Plainly, Johan was at least quite good while Gossow is just horrible.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.03.2009 - 17:06
Dominus
The Shooter
Angela Gossow for me. The voice of Johan Liiva not is bad but i believe that he is not indicated for the music of Arch Enemy
16.03.2009 - 11:12
ToMegaTherion
I suppose the results of the poll aren't that suprising although I think the score dosn't do justice to Johan Liiva's quality as a singer. Stigmata is my favorite album, although Angela is very in her own right I still believe Johan to be the better of the two.
16.03.2009 - 14:32
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Angela by far! ^^
11.08.2009 - 18:03
Razorback
Even if i prefer male voices this time my vote goes to Angela,brutal women who knows how to make crowd go wild;)
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
16.08.2009 - 18:15
chematss
Liiva for me.. I love his other works.. I shouldnt have voted anyway.. ( Im not an Arch Enemy fan, I just love Liivas voice )
06.11.2009 - 22:13
SatyriconChick
Angela for me by far. Her vocals are just wicked! Plus, would we have really gotten an album like Doomsday Machine if she wasn't in Arch Enemy?
06.11.2009 - 22:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Johan Liiva all the way! And the best thing is, I can say that without being accused of being sexist!

Although I'm not a fan of female vocals in metal, Angela's voice works, because it's very masculine sounding. And don't get me wrong, I really like Angela's voice, and all the Arch Enemy albums she has been on. The main reason I prefer Johan, was he had a very distinct voice. And although I would say Angela does a far more convincing death growl, the one thing her voice lacks is character. It sounds very similar to lots of other vocalists who sing in the genre. Johan's voice was distinct, and unique. And regardless of his vocal limitations, I think this fact makes his voice more captivating than Angela's. And no, the fact that he's hotter than Angela has nothing to do with it!
07.11.2009 - 02:50
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Arch Enemy are twice the band they were before Gossow, so the choice is easy. Wages of Sin was a huge leap forward for them.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
07.11.2009 - 03:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Haddonfield on 07.11.2009 at 02:50

Arch Enemy are twice the band they were before Gossow, so the choice is easy. Wages of Sin was a huge leap forward for them.

Seeing as "Burning Bridges" is my favorite album by Arch Enemy, then I don't agree with that. I do like the stuff they did with Angela as well though, in particular "Wages Of Sin". That is definitely the best album with Angela, IMO. Though even the one I like least, ("Anthems Of Rebellion") contains some great songs.
07.11.2009 - 03:22
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 03:04

Written by Haddonfield on 07.11.2009 at 02:50

Seeing as "Burning Bridges" is my favorite album by Arch Enemy, then I don't agree with that. I do like the stuff they did with Angela as well though, in particular "Wages Of Sin". That is definitely the best album with Angela, IMO. Though even the one I like least, ("Anthems Of Rebellion") contains some great songs.

Burning Bridges is a good album, but I feel they lacked something before, and I don't it was just Liiva, they become more crisp making the harmonies sound close to perfect.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."