Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm MP3 sampler

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 08.11.2007 - 23:11
This thing has been in the works for about a year, ever since we shut down the Compilation. It has passed through various incarnations - but now it's finally here!

Metal Storm MP3 sampler

The main idea was to provide much needed promotion for bands, as well as keep our users happy with free music. This feature is for bands, both already accomplished and just starting, that are seeking promotion and feedback. This is for metal fans, always in search for new music. If you don't mind sharing your song with our eager listeners - you can upload it here, it's really easy! The new system allows songs to be rated and commented, providing you with feedback.

Any suggestions on changes or additional features are very welcome. The section will officially open after we have at least five submitted songs.

Thank you, enjoy!
23.11.2007 - 22:13
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 20.11.2007 at 01:13

well i know the address well...but i am lazy to type it in into bar when there is a possibility of one click and be here too

You could add it as a shortcut your self...just press the little yellow arrow next to the title
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.11.2007 - 22:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
wow...nice

but anyway...it should be defaultly in menu imo...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.11.2007 - 08:54
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Chris Amber: agree with you it should have it's own...but it will when it's officially opened (at least that's what I read somewhere)
----

24.11.2007 - 13:27
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I'm one of the laziest people in the world and I have no problem clicking Home & then changing "home" in the URL to "mp3" (or use rightclick-CopyShortcut if you can't wait for another page to load). I'm thinking a direct link will appear when the "download song" feature returns - at least I hope it will... (?)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
24.11.2007 - 13:32
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Syk on 24.11.2007 at 13:27

I'm one of the laziest people in the world and I have no problem clicking Home & then changing "home" in the URL to "mp3" (or use rightclick-CopyShortcut if you can't wait for another page to load). I'm thinking a direct link will appear when the "download song" feature returns - at least I hope it will...

It won't, unfortunately. Shitty local copyright laws make it too expensive for us (we would have to pay 6 EUR per every 100 downloads). We'll have to pay for streaming too, but considerably less. Having permissions from bands/labels doesn't change anything.

So we're still sorting things out, and now that we've moved to the new server, MP3 sampler would definitely be more prominent.
24.11.2007 - 13:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Ohhhh fuck, that stuff pisses me right off... (the copyright bs, not your/the site's view of "too expensive" with which I totally agree) Can I ask just generally who are you paying, the labels/bands themselves or a wider record industry group? Would it still be possible to offer, for download, songs that come from albums freely available from the artist's site, such as the Disciples of Zoldon track?
----

24.11.2007 - 14:22
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
You have to pay even though you have permission from the record label/band? That's just stupid but I guess you think so to.
----

24.11.2007 - 14:36
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Syk on 24.11.2007 at 13:41

Ohhhh fuck, that stuff pisses me right off... (the copyright bs, not your/the site's view of "too expensive" with which I totally agree) Can I ask just generally who are you paying, the labels/bands themselves or a wider record industry group? Would it still be possible to offer, for download, songs that come from albums freely available from the artist's site, such as the Disciples of Zoldon track?

It's some sort of a local copyright Association (like RIAA, but slightly less annoying). Album being freely available doesn't change the situation. Artists and labels don't need our pennies, they need promotion - and are happy to give us songs for free, but that doesn't change anything either. I also have doubts that all collected money will end up in artists hands, which also seems quite unfair...
08.12.2007 - 12:11
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
its time for some more mp3's to be added - i added one a while ago, still hasnt been accepted - theres no new ones to listen to
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
08.12.2007 - 13:25
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 08.12.2007 at 12:11

its time for some more mp3's to be added - i added one a while ago, still hasnt been accepted - theres no new ones to listen to

Your MP3 wasn't uploaded, unfortunately. I'm trying to fix this problem with http uploads - but it's terribly complicated for such large files...
08.12.2007 - 13:33
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Ivan on 08.12.2007 at 13:25

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 08.12.2007 at 12:11

Your MP3 wasn't uploaded, unfortunately. I'm trying to fix this problem with http uploads - but it's terribly complicated for such large files...

does that mean it will never be added?, do i have to upload it again? its only 6.16MB...
----
08.12.2007 - 13:52
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 08.12.2007 at 13:33

does that mean it will never be added?, do i have to upload it again? its only 6.16MB...

You'll have to wait until everything's sorted out
10.01.2008 - 17:46
W-Lash
Metal Master
Sad that there is almost only progressive metal...
10.01.2008 - 18:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by W-Lash on 10.01.2008 at 17:46

Deleterious, Heavy Lord, Detonation? That's not progressive
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2008 - 19:28
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2008 at 18:36

Dude, I said ALMOST only progresiive metal...Sure, there are some not-progressive bands but the most of them are.
It's so sad for me - black metal fan...That it's hard to create such thing to satisfy all users...
10.01.2008 - 19:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by W-Lash on 10.01.2008 at 19:28

Dude, I said ALMOST only progresiive metal...Sure, there are some not-progressive bands but the most of them are.
It's so sad for me - black metal fan...That it's hard to create such thing to satisfy all users...

I agree with you that it is too one-sided at the moment. But we'll wait and see how it develops.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2008 - 19:42
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2008 at 19:31

Written by W-Lash on 10.01.2008 at 19:28

I agree with you that it is too one-sided at the moment. But we'll wait and see how it develops.

Yeah, obviously there are only some bands there and it's impossible for all genre fans to find something from them...
but the engine is made and let's hope that someday we will find lots of black, death (or whatever you need) metal.
11.01.2008 - 11:42
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
need to get the probelms with it fixed and get it up and running again - need to find some more stuff to listen to
----
11.01.2008 - 21:00
Lord TJ
I found Bereavements myspace and asked them if I could get the tab for "Eye Of The Storm", the drummer told me that he would ask and get back to me as soon as possible, I found him online next time and was waiting, then he went offline. Then the next time I saw him online I asked if it was working out and he just read but didn't reply....assholes...
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.01.2008 - 20:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 11.01.2008 at 21:00

I found Bereavements myspace and asked them if I could get the tab for "Eye Of The Storm", the drummer told me that he would ask and get back to me as soon as possible, I found him online next time and was waiting, then he went offline. Then the next time I saw him online I asked if it was working out and he just read but didn't reply....assholes...

It is currently on hold anyway..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.01.2008 - 19:28
Lord TJ
Written by Lucas on 13.01.2008 at 20:19

Written by Lord TJ on 11.01.2008 at 21:00

Umm...what is currently on hold?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

14.01.2008 - 19:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 14.01.2008 at 19:28

The Mp3 sampler. Due to copyright reasons and all sorts of legal bullshit, we cannot have it open right now.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.01.2008 - 19:55
Lord TJ
Written by Lucas on 14.01.2008 at 19:32

Written by Lord TJ on 14.01.2008 at 19:28

The Mp3 sampler. Due to copyright reasons and all sorts of legal bullshit, we cannot have it open right now.

I know that. lol. I was just confused on why you said that.

I was talking about one of the bands in the sampler.
----

14.01.2008 - 19:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Lord TJ on 14.01.2008 at 19:55

I know that. lol. I was just confused on why you said that.
I was talking about one of the bands in the sampler.

Oooh. I only now see you wanted their tab. I thought you were talking about permission to upload it here. My bad, sorry.
----

14.01.2008 - 20:56
Hamird
Lieutenant
can we use alternate links from their own websites???? like amon amarth which has some songs that are avalable for download
14.01.2008 - 21:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hamird on 14.01.2008 at 20:56

can we use alternate links from their own websites???? like amon amarth which has some songs that are avalable for download

Nope
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2008 - 14:31
W-Lash
Metal Master
Nervel said that sampler is closed due to copyright problems.
I really don't understand where is the problem. This sampler should be for not very well known bands to gain popularity but listeners would have the benefit to get music for free.
Let's see an example - Cor Scorpii (a band).
http://corscorpii.net/releases.html - you see that Attergangar demo all songs can be downloaded for free...If they are there for free, why they can't be added here? It makes advantage for both sides.
If it isn't legal to put their mp3 in sampler without permission then probably this problem could be solved by sending an e-mail with description of sampler.
Probably nobody will reject such offer (a great free advertisement - their mp3 in such site).
17.01.2008 - 16:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by W-Lash on 17.01.2008 at 14:31
I really don't understand where is the problem. This sampler should be for not very well known bands to gain popularity but listeners would have the benefit to get music for free.
http://corscorpii.net/releases.html - you see that Attergangar demo all songs can be downloaded for free...If they are there for free, why they can't be added here? It makes advantage for both sides.
If it isn't legal to put their mp3 in sampler without permission then probably this problem could be solved by sending an e-mail with description of sampler.
Probably nobody will reject such offer (a great free advertisement - their mp3 in such site).
As Ivan has already explained somewhere, it's the local record industry/audio copyright organization being a bitch, not the band or its label.
An equivalent of the RIAA is demanding outrageous fees even when the band has given permission to the site, and even when the band in question is independent & would not be affected in any negative (or even positive) way. In the meantime, keep indirectly linking to up-and-coming bands and boycotting major label business to say "FUCK YOU" to those greedy corporate bastards.
----

17.01.2008 - 22:18
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by W-Lash on 17.01.2008 at 14:31

If you were to be exact, that band would have to pay fees as well for every song the users download from their site. It's pretty twisted and fucked up, but that's how it looks like. The sampler is not dead yet though, it's just on hold until we've settled some more copyright-related stuff - hopefully we'll be able to make use of the full potential of the sampler, but we cannot promise anything.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.01.2008 - 21:24
Lord TJ
How are things looking so far?
----