Metal Storm logo
Albums like Orchid by Opeth?

19.01.2024 - 16:26
I've been looking for stuff that's like Orchid for a long while because I just really, really hate the rest of Opeth's catalogue.

What I'm specifically looking for: the riffing style, that sort of power metally/trad heavy twin guitar melody work (think, say, the intro of "In Mist...") where both guitars are playing slightly different melodies or harmonies at the same time (as opposed to have one playing melodies and the other doing chords), yet with a certain rock 'n' roll sloppiness to it. Important that there's little to no tremolo picking and the riffs are never chunky or groovy. Also that it has a dry, thin guitar tone. Also, and this is primordial, NO blast beats!

What I'm not looking for: stuff that's also melodic but is heavy on tremolo and blasts (literally any melodic black metal), stuff that is just atmospheric but has nothing on the riffing style (Agalloch or Deafheaven). Also, Morningrise. Just no.

The albums I've found the closest thus far are:
Dreichmere - Dispair the Withered Shadows
Autumn Requiem - As I Beheld the Blazing Glory of the Rising Dawn
Ophthalamia - A Journey in Darkness (this is literally Orchid 2!)
Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila
Garden of Shadows - Oracle Moon
Autumnal Winds - Venerari Sacra Mysteria
The Morningside - The Wind, the Trees and the Shadows of the Past
Obsequiae - all 3 albums
The first 3 Katatonia releases (Dance of December Souls, Brave Murder Day, For Funerals to Come)
I should also mention Amorphis, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, Anathema, and Eucharist, who don't really sound like what I'm looking for, save the odd song.

Sorry for being picky, but I wanted to be specific on what I want. Thank you for your time.
19.01.2024 - 16:44
Redel
What a masterpiece of an album. One of my all-time favourite albums of everything, it has always been. And I do like all early Opeth releases very much.
I will make up my mind if I can add to your findings on the task at hand. Not too optimistic though, you seem to be quite picky...