Metal Storm logo
Favorite folk metal regional context

Original post

Posted by selken, 15.11.2007 - 01:13
Although every band fits properly in their countries, maybe you prefer an specific folk melody from a region of the world, for example, I prefer the Scandinavian sound of Ensiferum and Moonsorrow, despite of being from the Americas. At the same way, maybe some finnish prefer In Extremo rather than finntroll or an israeli prefers turisas rather than melechesh, and so...
what's your favorite??

Also, you can make recommendations, for example, I recommend Nagtegaal a peruvian band with some inca elements.

Poll

Whats your favorite regional sound for folk metal?

Viking/Scandinavian
Celtic
Mesopotamic/Arabic
English/German/French Medieval
Other
North American
South American
Chinese/Korean/Japanese

Total votes: 67
01.10.2008 - 21:49
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Definitely Celtic. I've always had a thing for the original celtic music. That's why I love bands like Eluveitie and and Omnia.
I also like some Viking folk bands, but I guess it's more lyrically than musically. At least for most of the bands.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
13.10.2008 - 17:36
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Ensiferum rules
01.11.2008 - 14:51
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I voted for Viking/Scandinavian, but if ChthoniC can really be considered folk, than Chinese context is real cool! I've always been fascinated by Far East. I think Viking is number one because it is the style that's the most exploited in the metal world. Since a huge amount of bands hail from Scandinavia, Viking themes are extremely used. I would like to know what context Equlibrium use, though. They are sometimes labelled as Viking Metal, but they're Bavarian and sing in German. I don't understand German, so I don't know what their themes are... PLEASE HELP ME!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.11.2008 - 06:53
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Mmm Turisas,Týr,Ensiferum,Equilibrium,Moonsorrow,Trollfest,Finntroll,Finsterforst mmmm i guess viking it is
----
Stay Metal !!!
11.04.2009 - 14:40
Beowulf
Viking Metal is the Best!
11.04.2009 - 14:57
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for the medieval stuff because I like many german medieval bands, but I also like the others, I'm a big folk fan
11.04.2009 - 19:10
Feng
I voted for Viking / Scandinavian, loads of good bands, and it does seem like half the scene is that genre anyway!
I noticed North American is a catergory, is there such thing as it? Native American Folk Metal??
11.04.2009 - 19:20
Janne
Hugin
Written by Feng on 11.04.2009 at 19:10

I voted for Viking / Scandinavian, loads of good bands, and it does seem like half the scene is that genre anyway!
I noticed North American is a catergory, is there such thing as it? Native American Folk Metal??

Maybe South American, I know some good folk metal bands from there. er... from North America? I don't know any folk metal bands there
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.04.2009 - 20:25
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Janne on 11.04.2009 at 19:20

Maybe South American, I know some good folk metal bands from there. er... from North America? I don't know any folk metal bands there

Agalloch is somehow folk metal, although not the typical one
11.04.2009 - 21:43
Janne
Hugin
Written by Diabolos on 11.04.2009 at 20:25

Oh yes, that was the only band I thought about.. btw I don't listen to Agalloch
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.04.2009 - 22:02
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Janne on 11.04.2009 at 21:43

I think they are not really folk metal, but I like them very much. One of the few bands of which I can say I like everything they do
12.04.2009 - 21:16
MetalSpider
For me its Viking/Scandinavian followed very closely by Celtic.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.05.2009 - 14:42
Jan Destiny
Viking/Scandinavian for me, but Celtic is good too and of course hungarian.
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
21.05.2009 - 17:22
ForeverDarkWoods
I'm gonna go for the Other option and vote Slavonic. While the Scandinavian and Celtic stuff is still very good, some of the Russian bands manage to take it to another level altogether. You haven't heard real folk metal until you've heard Alkonost, Arkona, Temnozor, Kroda and the like.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
21.05.2009 - 19:45
HugeTheConqeror
Written by Diabolos on 11.04.2009 at 22:02

Written by Janne on 11.04.2009 at 21:43

I think they are not really folk metal, but I like them very much. One of the few bands of which I can say I like everything they do

A Canadian band called Musk Ox just self-released an album a couple of months ago that is really good. Not Metal in the traditional sense, since there are no distorted guitars, but the leader of this project has been marketing it to all of the Metal publications. I wrote a review for it on The Metal Observer, and I saw a print review somewhere (I think it might have been Decible magazine). Definitely folky, with a North American wilderness feel to it. Worth checking out.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.