Metal Storm logo
Senses

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 28.11.2007 - 03:37
Do you ever feel, like you know something happens the split second before it does? It is weird, perhaps its just how your mind reacts after it happens, leading you to believe you knew it right before it happened.

Like last year I got rear-ended in a snow storm, right before it happened my mind went, "Oh shit!". I did not see the SUV coming and hitting me at all, yet I felt I knew what was going to happen before it did.

Any experiences?
22.01.2008 - 02:28
b0000mst1ck
there are three different types of deja vu. understanding it might help some of you process the experiences you've been talking about.

scientifically, it boils down to neurological clash between your short-term and long-term memory. anyway, i'd suggest reading up on it, it's pretty interesting and might even help along the conversation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_vu#Scientific_research
22.01.2008 - 02:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, it happens from time to time for me. One of my friend actually called me "psychic" once. I'm a master when it comes to guess what food the school will serve today and if I shuffle a lot of songs I sometimes feel what song will come next. It's probably just luck and some kind of imagination.
----
22.01.2008 - 08:18
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 21.01.2008 at 10:34

Written by Guest on 21.01.2008 at 04:41

When I was 12 years old, I had a vision in my mind - kind of like a daydream - and then I saw the identical event occur in reality several seconds later. It was not something that I expected or could have predicted. This is the only time in my life that I ever had a precise vision of the future. (I have had deja vu before, and this was not it. It was not a "feeling.") I literally saw unfold before my eyes exactly what I had envisioned. The whole experience felt very natural - not strange or unusual at all.

The only logical explanation I can suggest is that time is an illusion created and maintained by our minds. Under ordinary circumstances everything works properly - we remember the past and cannot tell the future - but perhaps the brain can malfunction momentarily and perceive or somehow "remember" the future.

Yes, but by that, wouldn't that mean we had to have experienced that future already? (At least by the word "remember" we would, but perhaps not "seeing.")

That's why I suggested that time is an illusion. Maybe we already "know" our entire lives, but we would not be able to function if we were unable to tell the future from the past. For this reason, our mind blocks out any awareness of the future.
22.01.2008 - 16:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 22.01.2008 at 08:18

When I was 12 years old, I had a vision in my mind - kind of like a daydream - and then I saw the identical event occur in reality several seconds later. It was not something that I expected or could have predicted. This is the only time in my life that I ever had a precise vision of the future. (I have had deja vu before, and this was not it. It was not a "feeling.") I literally saw unfold before my eyes exactly what I had envisioned. The whole experience felt very natural - not strange or unusual at all.

The only logical explanation I can suggest is that time is an illusion created and maintained by our minds. Under ordinary circumstances everything works properly - we remember the past and cannot tell the future - but perhaps the brain can malfunction momentarily and perceive or somehow "remember" the future.

Yes, but by that, wouldn't that mean we had to have experienced that future already? (At least by the word "remember" we would, but perhaps not "seeing.")

That's why I suggested that time is an illusion. Maybe we already "know" our entire lives, but we would not be able to function if we were unable to tell the future from the past. For this reason, our mind blocks out any awareness of the future.

Interesting, but time itself is a real entity. The increments of time in each we use are our own creation, like the metric second, but time is as real as left and right, forward and backward, and up and down. But who's to say one can't jump from one area to another without traveling the full length right? Time is very interesting and something I would much more like to get to know. Physics, yum.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.01.2008 - 18:09
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 22.01.2008 at 16:59

Interesting, but time itself is a real entity. The increments of time in each we use are our own creation, like the metric second, but time is as real as left and right, forward and backward, and up and down. But who's to say one can't jump from one area to another without traveling the full length right? Time is very interesting and something I would much more like to get to know. Physics, yum.

Yes, I do agree that time is real - otherwise there could be no awareness of it. What I should have said, to be more concise, is that our particular way of experiencing time may be illusory - but a necessary illusion since we could not function as viable entities otherwise.
22.01.2008 - 20:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense, but doesn't seem likely. To assert that we'd have to prove outside of space and time exists, which as far as I know, we can't. But hey, it's a very interesting topic nonetheless.
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.04.2008 - 00:55
Buggy
Account deleted

While I sincerely find this thought very poetic, it's sadly much more likely that, as the op suggested, our mind sometimes retroactively modifies our memory, giving us the illusion that we were aware of a certain event before it happened, while in fact we weren't. :/
17.04.2008 - 08:11
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.04.2008 at 00:55

While I sincerely find this thought very poetic, it's sadly much more likely that, as the op suggested, our mind sometimes retroactively modifies our memory, giving us the illusion that we were aware of a certain event before it happened, while in fact we weren't. :/

Perhaps our memories are all purely illusory.
24.04.2008 - 11:50
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
of course it happens from time to time for me and frequently I know what is happen in future
one thing that happend that I wondering about it , is : I saw one thing in my mind 5 years ago and it happend recently . despite , I saw every thing in my mind premature daily
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
28.04.2008 - 00:49
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i never see things happen, well i dont remember seeing them happen, but sometimes i feel like i have done it or its happened before. sometimes i have dreams about the next day and it happens which kinda freaks me out!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
28.04.2008 - 21:17
Lord TJ
Written by Necrogeddon on 28.04.2008 at 00:49

but sometimes i feel like i have done it or its happened before

That is called De Ja Vou or something like that.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
05.11.2010 - 14:40
Yavanna
I never had a vision of what is coming on, but, sometimes, it feels like I have already done something before , the same things, but it seem to have been thousand of years ago. Or sometimes, when I am all alone I can feel that there is someone walking behind me, then I look over my shoulder, but there is noone there.
I am not a religious person, but something hapenned to me once. Two years and half ago, before colege classes begin, I should study at night, and there is about a km to walk from the campus to my home, and there is no bus at that time, so I should walk this way alone everynight ( about 11pm, when classes were over). I was almost givin up, because I was afraid (is a desert road, and there are no lights). Then one sunday night my mother conviced me to go to church with her. There the choir was singing a song and the lyric was something like "Jesus will take care of you". That thing touched my earth, and a had the assurance that I could go with no fear. I went to college at night for half year, and nothing ever happened, then I moved to another graduation, and began studing in the morning.
This story is not exactly about deja-vu, but is the most similar to a supernatural sense I ever had.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand