Metal Storm logo
Antiquus - Mind Boggling Prog. Metal From Canada [Mp3]

07.06.2006 - 12:32
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Ok, so I recently stumbled upon this BRILLIANT band somehow, thankfully. They've released one album - Ramayana. I being Indian, was shocked at their lyrical theme, because it deals completely with Indian Mythology. Ramayana is an epic book in Hindu Mythology. Generally nobody sings about Hinduism in the metal world (except Rudra and Narasimha, and they too have members of Indian origin). Maybe this is what piqued my interest in them.

Anyhow, coming to the album, it's just mind-boggling. I'm quite sure this will one day be called a classic.
The riffs are fantastic! No riff is technical for the sake of being technical like so many prog. bands venture to do. The bass and drums are brilliant in their own right and hold their own. One thing that surprised me was that there was no keyboardist in the band. I usually associate all prog. bands with one keyboardist or the other, but there has been no drawback due to the absence of one here. I would even dare to say that the album has been enhanced due to the absence, because of the lack of some of the cheesiness that keyboards may provide if not done well. Some very nice time changes and cool headbanging, yet memorable riffs make this album amazing. The vocals...well, I'm not too much of a fan of hiiiiiiiiiigh falsetto vocals, except for a few bands(like King Diamond), but I realy took a liking to the vocals here. His falsettos go really high, and his range is really good too. (Nowhere near the King, but still ). Anyhow, I'm sure prog. fans will dig this.

So here are a few samples: http://censure.soundy.org/mp3.html

Please download and comment on what you think
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
07.06.2006 - 18:51
Hellish Star
Awesoome band indeedn. I made a review about their album..
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
07.06.2006 - 19:30
Valar
IndianSteel
Ok the cover of that album sucks i was abt to chk the album after such an awesome description by myth before i saw the cover for a name as epic as RAMAYANA.
Still I will chk this band out defn and get back to the thread.....
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
07.06.2006 - 19:38
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Valar on 07.06.2006 at 19:30

Ok the cover of that album sucks i was abt to chk the album after such an awesome description by myth before i saw the cover for a name as epic as RAMAYANA.
Still I will chk this band out defn and get back to the thread.....

I agree with you on this.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
09.06.2006 - 02:09
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
I don't know how I missed this thread, nice band, although I think they have great potential, I still found that their album had some awfull parts, but overal it's a 8.5-9 album. Worth buying!
19.08.2006 - 19:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 07.06.2006 at 18:51

Awesoome band indeedn. I made a review about their album..

You mean song by song about album?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.12.2006 - 11:14
Hellish Star
I keep on listening to this album. It's indeed a very good album.... Their debut album is also very good (private pressing). I really hope this band will get what they deserve....

@ kariasaki: no, not song by song but I rated the album pretty high (90/100) for www.hellspawn.be . The review will be on line soon (we hade some terrible troubles with our website)
----

09.02.2007 - 01:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
This band intrigues me. I wanted to download their full cd but i can only find samples of their songs. It's a shame.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.02.2007 - 02:04
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@BloodTears: try to buy it, it's worth it.
09.02.2007 - 11:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
@VenoM_BM: I'm gona buy it probably yes but so far I only found stores selling "ELETHERIA", their other cd (here in Portugal).
----

My Instagram
09.02.2007 - 11:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I found it. eheh
----

My Instagram
10.02.2007 - 04:19
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@BloodTears: great another one joined the ranks. What are your thoughts on the layout, cd & quality?
10.02.2007 - 20:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm glad someone mentioned the CD that they released last year, because I downloaded that one and it's fucking fantastic! My problem is that I didn't know about the Ramayana CD...I'm gonna download it though...thanks for the link!
11.02.2007 - 17:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ok.. nice band, who call their own music 'intelligent'.

And those samples are not so great at all.

But then again, I am wondering what I am even doing around here, in the Melodic Forum.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.02.2007 - 18:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
@VenoM_BM: i still only have the mp3s, but i have the full ramayana album and eleutheria. I only listened to ramayana once but the first impression is good. I have to give it more listens. I find the lyrical themes very interesting. So far, i see excelent musicians and intrinsecate compositions and i like it. Needs more exploration though.
What do u think about their second cd?
----

My Instagram
11.02.2007 - 18:47
Hellish Star
Written by Lucas on 11.02.2007 at 17:02

But then again, I am wondering what I am even doing around here, in the Melodic Forum.

Bye bye....
----

23.02.2007 - 21:31
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 11.02.2007 at 18:12

@VenoM_BM: i still only have the mp3s, but i have the full ramayana album and eleutheria. I only listened to ramayana once but the first impression is good. I have to give it more listens. I find the lyrical themes very interesting. So far, i see excellent musicians and intrinsecate compositions and i like it. Needs more exploration though.
What do u think about their second cd?

I found it good, but I was a little disappointed comparing to their first release, not to say it's a weak release or anything like that, but I preffer their Ramayana. My favorite tracks are: "Leaves of Grass" & "Redemption", the second reminds me much of someone dear, I got the feeling from the first listen.